• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB The Drenched Forests of Canada

orioto

Good Art™
What’s the scale of the weather types in the game? Is it just rain or snow, or can we expect drizzle, sleet, downpours, blizzards and so forth?
Alex Perkins: You can expect every one of those and you can expect it to change dynamically and unpredictably while you race – because we’ve designed it to be just like real weather systems. Spots of rain can become torrential downpours or transition into blizzards, quickly or slowly, and when the clouds clear up the tracks will dry out too.

So if you’re in Norway, for example, you’ll face heavier snow when you’re racing atop the mountains and much lighter snow or sleet when you descend to a lower altitude. Lots of things play into this, like elevation, wind speed and temperature. We can even adjust all the way to zero visibility conditions too – the only limit will be the need to balance things for fun and usability.

And what about really extreme stuff, like thunder and lightning?
Alex Perkins: Deafening thunder storms with flashes of fork lightning are what we’re aiming for. Our intention is to make this as immersive and exciting as we can.

This game is the Shenmue 3 we've been waiting for.

banderas-ps4-love.gif

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Can I just ask why they upload this to Facebook/Instagram?
They probably want people to follow them on their social media sites so they can promote all their other games to them and have a direct line to the consumers.

FatboyTim

Stunning!

I hope Polyphony Digital are watching!

Convince Logitech to make some drivers or open source their existing drivers, support their wheels, and you've sold a copy of Drive Club to me.

I just can't go back to controllers for racing games anymore.
This, please!

I usually always notice them too but not on these videos. There was too much going on with the weather and stuff that you'd almost have to be looking for imperfections to see it.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't intentionally looking for imperfections. I was fixated on the weather effects and the cars but I can't help it if the jaggy powerlines became apparent.

Looks amazing though.

foxbeldin

Convince Logitech to make some drivers or open source their existing drivers, support their wheels, and you've sold a copy of Drive Club to me.

I just can't go back to controllers for racing games anymore.

You basically have to convince them to put money in a department they've abandonned. Good luck with that.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm looking at the clip over and over and i have to say the art direction in this game is probably something that will stay for long.

i'd say the kind of details 'the rainy/foggy atmosphere, the little sunlight that touches the surface of the wet road.. it all works as proust madeleine for me, actually bringing physical memory.

It's the kind of Miyazaki/Tarkovsky feel i've not been used to see in a videogame. This is beyond a technical effort there.

Oneself

Evo: weather should be in the game day one even if it's not "dynamic" and requires an update later on. Shipping without weather would be a shame as it look absolutely fabulous.

Gurish

lol people here are funny, almost real life in front of their face and all they can think about is POWER LINES HAZ JAGGIES!!1
:p

nib95

Banned
2 clips from the same camera view? I wanted to see the cockpit view with working wipers and a difficulty in visibility. :(

The water droplets running up the hood. :O

What’s the scale of the weather types in the game? Is it just rain or snow, or can we expect drizzle, sleet, downpours, blizzards and so forth?
Alex Perkins: You can expect every one of those and you can expect it to change dynamically and unpredictably while you race
– because we’ve designed it to be just like real weather systems. Spots of rain can become torrential downpours or transition into blizzards, quickly or slowly, and when the clouds clear up the tracks will dry out too.

So if you’re in Norway, for example, you’ll face heavier snow when you’re racing atop the mountains and much lighter snow or sleet when you descend to a lower altitude. Lots of things play into this, like elevation, wind speed and temperature. We can even adjust all the way to zero visibility conditions too – the only limit will be the need to balance things for fun and usability.

And what about really extreme stuff, like thunder and lightning?
Alex Perkins: Deafening thunder storms with flashes of fork lightning are what we’re aiming for. Our intention is to make this as immersive and exciting as we can.

Driveclub: The Real Weather Simulator

By the looks and sounds of things, I honestly feel like this is going to be the most immersive and atmospheric racer I'll have ever played.

wow....

but again with the non HD footage... ALL FOOTAGE SHOULD BE RELEASE 1080P from the start.

Instagram... wtf.

It's easier to share and view on mobile smaller videos. Look at the incredible reaction these two instagram videos have garnered here alone. We're already at 5 pages and counting. Each video already has over 2000 shares on instagram.

There's a case for teasing like this on social media. The 1080P videos will come for sure. They even say that the weather systems are still in development, and we're months away from launch. We haven't even seen the real marketing push for this game begin yet.

I think their strategy is working.

Where in Canada is this supposed to be? Parts of that vid looked like the Cabot Trail.
looks like British Columbia to me... The drive from Vancouver to the Whistler/Blackcomb ski resort in the north is VERY similar to the Driveclub environment.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Uh...those clips are ridiculous. I'm having trouble believing it will actually look this good.

Although, I kind of wish there was random wildlife darting across the road at points, or maybe even just standing by the road. Very sparse and unlikely to show up, but if you're looking you might see it. Would add to the immersion and would bring a little more life to the game. I dislike how "empty-world" feeling most racers are.

daveo42

Banned
What's completely crazy is how the game looks like someone actually driving down those roads in the rain as opposed to it being a game that just looks super sharp. They really hit it out of the park with the global illumination, the effects, pretty much everything except the powerlines (lol).

Much improved in the latest build, these vids were done just after E3 :)

Thanks for the update there Rushy!
121.gif

Top Bottom