• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM for Xbox One returns for China?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20920
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

c0de

Sorry guys, brain not fully booted yet, obviously.
But
Xbone Games in China are like PC Games. It has a serial code to be used once. Hence no trading, re-selling.
What about this? Anyone can confirm this for PC games?

Tommy DJ

PC games everywhere have been like that since Steam became a huge thing. If you buy a retail PC copy of Dark Souls 2, you will get a disk and a code to redeem on Steam. Unless you want an artbook or cannot download 10GB of data, there is no reason to buy retail copies of PC games.

That is also why PC retail doesn't do a lot of business. Buying digitally is magnitudes cheaper. In Australia, where games are like $80-100 new, you'd always opt for the $30 digital copy. Or wait for that 50% off sale 6 months down the line.

What about the other games? I mean not the bundled ones.

Today is 9.17 and the release date of X1 is 9.27. We still do not know what the bundled game is.

Now the situation is if you buy the kinect one with 4299¥(about 696$),you will get four games.one is Powerstar Golf and the other is a free shit MMO.we still do not know what The remaining two are.

The without kinect one is 3699¥(599$) and you will the two games. one is Powerstar Golf and the other is a free shit MMO.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Even if this was true, how would activation codes prevent piracy? PC had this stuff forever.

It's an online activation code, it one-time-use and gets checked on a server. So you can only use your game if it was online-validated. Since Xbox One is a close platform, this is an additional hurdle for piracy (and also is one on PC, but one more easily overcome). This also means, even if you don't want to sell your games, once the service is discontinued you can't register any new games on your console and when your console dies (after the service went offline), all your games are lost forever. So it's clearly an anti-consumer practice that is completely inexcusable. If I were Chinese, Microsoft would be dead for me now.

PureXbox

Banned
It's an online activation code, it one-time-use and gets checked on a server. So you can only use your game if it was online-validated. Since Xbox One is a close platform, this is an additional hurdle for piracy (and also is one on PC, but one more easily overcome). This also means, even if you don't want to sell your games, once the service is discontinued you can't register any new games on your console and when your console dies (after the service went offline), all your games are lost forever. So it's clearly an anti-consumer practice that is completely inexcusable. If I were Chinese, Microsoft would be dead for me now.

And as per when it was being discussed for the rest of the world, there will be an endgame strategy where at the end of the console's saleable life, Microsoft will release a firmware update that removes the need for activation, meaning when the service is no longer available, people will be able to play their games, or new ones that they purchase.

And if your console dies, you call Microsoft or go online, and get them to transfer your licences. Same as I did with my Xbox 360 Live Arcade titles when my 360 died about four years ago. You don't "lose" your games.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but don't paint it up to be worse than it is. Don't let the wish be the father of the thought.

dose

So you're calling the MMO "shit" based on what you've played of it, then?

Oh no, wait...it isn't out yet.
You mean Neverwinter, which came out in June 2013 on PC? Seems like you need to check your facts.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/30/x...o-and-its-coming-to-free-to-play-crazy-china/

And as per when it was being discussed for the rest of the world, there will be an endgame strategy where at the end of the console's saleable life, Microsoft will release a firmware update that removes the need for activation, meaning when the service is no longer available, people will be able to play their games, or new ones that they purchase.
Do you have a link for this? I don't ever remember MS specifically stating this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

And if your console dies, you call Microsoft or go online, and get them to transfer your licences. Same as I did with my Xbox 360 Live Arcade titles when my 360 died about four years ago. You don't "lose" your games.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but don't paint it up to be worse than it is. Don't let the wish be the father of the thought.
1. There is no guarantee that Microsoft will ever release such an update, nor do I believe they will.
2. While the service is still online, you can transfer your games, even without phoning Microsoft, just using your internet connection, that's right. But when Xbox Live is down and Xbox One cannot connect to Xbox Live anymore, this won't be as easy.
3. Microsoft may be willing to do transfers (for money?) even after the service went offline, but we don't know if they will be doing it and sure as hell they wouldn't do it in case they discontinue the Xbox division.

Zophar

The problem is thinking Chinese gamers are willing to purchase games. From my experience here there's really only two types of gamers: people who play F2P stuff obsessively or folks that buy consoles on the grey market already loaded up with pirated games. There's no retail game market here for -anybody-, not just MS.

The problem is thinking Chinese gamers are willing to purchase games. From my experience here there's really only two types of gamers: people who play F2P stuff obsessively or folks that buy consoles on the grey market already loaded up with pirated games. There's no retail game market here for -anybody-, not just MS.

Anecdotally the Chinese exchange students that have stayed with us over the years have all been big pirates. And some of them scoffed at the idea of buying games at all, certainly. But there are some who don't - and in a country of 1.3 billion, small percentages can turn into big numbers. I would be more worried about how much attractive content there is, not whether or not anybody will buy a game.

Have you see today's SCEJA press conference?it's all about Chinese localization.that means this grey market is big enough to do this.and the gamer like me in China want a legal way to buy games play games for about 10 years since PS2 time but Ms and our government fucked us.

watership

Is this bundled? I thought bundled games have "not for resale" on them, but it's practically never enforced. I think we're getting FUD here.

Zephyrus

Banned
But Xbox has changed. And it's not just a stability update.

At what point does a company stop being a functional company and starts being greedy?
Is it when they have products you want but can't afford?

XD

Can't afford?

Me?

XD

No mate. It starts when I have rights taken from me in order to enjoy their products.
I don't even need to go to old examples. You have last year's fiasco to speak for them.

And clearly, for all the talk Microsoft gave, their plan wasn't fully scrapped.

Best of luck to Microsoft but I'll only be happy when I see them gone from the hobby I love.

This will be my last post on the subject. Certain members on this site don't really allow me to give my honest opinion about any subject or I will face consequences.

Hoo-doo

Banned
At what point does a company stop being a functional company and starts being greedy?
Is it when they have products you want but can't afford?

Yes clearly the Xbox One is such a desirable product. I heard it was flying off the shelves, even.

Occam

Tales from your ass? Oh right, PureXbox.

EGM1966

First I've heard of that idea. It's irrelevant though - the issue is the limiting of the-sale of games. Removing the limit when no one cares is meaningless in terms of slur boating the core issue.

T.O.P

Banned
b6tFM.gif

yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom