• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM for Xbox One returns for China?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20920
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-4248969-1-1.html

LvljJVP.jpg

The back of the cover for Forza sold in China mentions a one time activation code included in the package and that the code can only be used on an official China Xbox One. We already know that the Xbox One is region lock in China but it seems like this one time activation code is new info. The case also mentions that the code cannot be returned/refunded, exchanged for cash or returned after use, which is probably standard for all activation codes sold everywhere. The text also states explicitly that the game is not to be resold and has no reselling value, which also is standard I supposed.

The one time code activation sounds like what DRM was supposed to be before the 180 turn Microsoft made.

EDIT

Or there's some DLC included with the game.

China's getting the Forza Motosport 5: Game of the Year Edition, which comes with DLC.

Seems like this could be referring to the DLC that's included with the game.

Fixed image:

Edit: English cover:

forza-5-install.jpg

The only thing I see different is that block of text above the storage requirement stuff that has a BesTV url in it. Can we get someone to translate that?

Also, isn't Forza 5 bundled with the console? Isn't this just the equivalent of including a download code here except they're putting in a disk too? If they were putting into place their original DRM plans, they wouldn't need a code--it'd just activate the disk to that person's account.

Could this have been mandated by the authorities over there? And do we know if any other games are affected? It's a pretty shitty practice nonetheless.

What's the difference with the normal activation codes we have now? For instance the ones you get in a bundle, those same rules apply to those.

Kosma

Banned
I think it's a great strategy to try to go in all hardcore in an established market like China were piracy and sharing aren't issues.

sakipon

Well . . . . China kinda deserves it.

Go ahead and call me an asshole but you know about piracy there.

You kinda are since it's directly related to people's wages. It's no surprise China, Russia, South America pirates. Make people earn like us in the West and piracy rates will start going down. Treating them like thieves isn't the solution.

EGM1966

Seems like a silly move. Those who want to pirate aren't going to simply accept this and buy Xboxes while those who would want one - probably the large and growing middle/upper class - wouldn't pirate anyway so they're going to be saddled with a detriment to purchase.

I doubt it'll hurt sales much but it won't help them one whit either and it may raise issues with customers annoyed they are getting treated differently from Western customers and being saddled with limitations removed in the West.

Kosma

Banned
Piracy is one of the reasons why Playstation is now big worldwide imho.

Markets like Eastern Europe, South America and Middle East where already big into PSX before they could afford the games. This made Sony gain mindshare. Nintendo and their carts lost out big time, everyone had a PS1.

Now that they can afford it they buy it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Except there's no way of pirating an Xbone or a PS4 game so far.

I have no do in this race but I want to make sure I understand your position. You're saying they should release piracy measures only after he hardware has been hacked?

The back of the cover for Forza sold in China mentions a one time activation code included in the package and that the code can only be used on an official China Xbox One. We already know that the Xbox One is region lock in China but it seems like this one time activation code is new info. The case also mentions that the code cannot be returned/refunded, exchanged for cash or returned after use, which is probably standard for all activation codes sold everywhere. The text also states explicitly that the game is not to be resold and has no reselling value, which also is standard I supposed.

The one time code activation sounds like what DRM was supposed to be before the 180 turn Microsoft made.

Or there's some DLC included with the game.

Daylight

Is it possible this is part of a bundle, and they just included the case with it? Probably unlikely, but wondering anyway.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed image:

Edit: English cover:

forza-5-install.jpg

The only thing I see different is that block of text above the storage requirement stuff that has a BesTV url in it. Can we get someone to translate that?

Also, isn't Forza 5 bundled with the console? Isn't this just the equivalent of including a download code here except they're putting in a disk too? If they were putting into place their original DRM plans, they wouldn't need a code--it'd just activate the disk to that person's account.

That BesTV paragraph is the paragraph that speaks about the validation code. As for BesTV, I think users need an account there or something. Seems like MS is working with them. It says you need to accept the terms and conditions of BesTV and Xbox Live.

Possibly trying to nip China's rampant piracy in the bud before it even begins.

Well . . . . China kinda deserves it.

Go ahead and call me an asshole but you know about piracy there.

These are the practices that will drive consumers towards piracy, not away from it.

What's the difference with the normal activation codes we have now? For instance the ones you get in a bundle, those same rules apply to those.

It seems like it's a code to activate the game on a China Xbox One. The no reselling and no refunding parts are of course the same rules as everywhere.

One4U

Banned
It is kind of compromise between MS and Chinese government to allow them release Xbox One in China. I think Sony might need to do the same thing to get "go ahead" from China authorities.

c0de

Didn't we have a thread before this? I remember something China being on its "own" as to make the only-chinese games only compatible with chinese Xbox Ones.
Moreover, as Xbox One is normally region free this would mean chinese could play any game they bought anywhere and this is against the rule as I remember the chinese officials say games have to go through a verification process to be allowed to sell.
So generally Xbox One is still region-free if you count out China.

rrc1594

Just to say it? I don't know why this thread even exists as I am quite sure we knew before chinese games are region locked. Didn't stop the thread starter to make the thread and doesn't stop people to hate on MS because of that:

I'm not hating, but if their is DRM they fucking up. I'm not talking about region lock, but not be able to sell your games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Just to say it? I don't know why this thread even exists as I am quite sure we knew before chinese games are region locked. Didn't stop the thread starter to make the thread and doesn't stop people to hate on MS because of that:

It's not the region locking that I'm talking about. It's the potential DRM that exist for the China market. I already said in the OP that we know about the region lock in China.

Chobel

You didn't know why this thread exist? How about trying to read the OP next time.

The thread is about Xbox games having an activation code, and if that's true it means you can't lend, trade or resell Xbox games. Think of it as an online pass.

It seems like it's a code to activate the game to a China Xbox One. The no reselling and no refunding parts are of course the same rules as everywhere.
Hm, ok. So this is the standard way to buy Xbox One games there now. Strange they use China of all places to introduce that plan now.

Kromis1

Very interesting...I wonder how the Chinese (test) market will react to this. If anything, Microsoft could test the waters with their "family sharing" as well.

Tommy DJ

Did you read the OP? There is more than a region lock. There is a code that potentially limits the resale and trading of video games. As far as I know, this was not a thing that was ever talked about and it really has nothing to do with region locking.

Radec

Xbone Games in China are like PC Games. It has a serial code to be used once. Hence no trading, re-selling.

Then add the region locking.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Very interesting...I wonder how the Chinese (test) market will react to this. If anything, Microsoft could test the waters with their "family sharing" as well.

If anything, many in that Chinese forum I linked sounds angry. They're saying they would rather get the Hong Kong import.
But the forum is not only made up of China Chinese. There are probably people from Hong Kong and Taiwan as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom