• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DropMix [OT] : You've just activated my musical trap card!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Finally got a chance to sit down with this thing, but it's not connecting to my phone. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else compatible with the app to test it with right now. Any suggestions?

This happens with my iPhone and iPad every once in a while. I can fix it by doing a full poweroff of the device (iphone/iPad) and let it restart. Other then that I think the board has a small reset hole on the bottom, but I’ve cant confirm as i have neve got to that stage of not working.

This happens with my iPhone and iPad every once in a while. I can fix it by doing a full poweroff of the device (iphone/iPad) and let it restart. Other then that I think the board has a small reset hole on the bottom, but I’ve cant confirm as i have neve got to that stage of not working.

Yeah, tried that to no avail. My GF's iPhone 6 connects no problem but my Nexus 6p just can't seem to sync to it. The weird thing is it does show up as an available device in my bluetooth settings. I can even pair to it manually that way, but it still doesn't show up as connected in the app. Went through the full run down of troubleshooting in the app as well. Don't know if I should be mad at the board or my phone lol.

Finally got a chance to sit down with this thing, but it's not connecting to my phone. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else compatible with the app to test it with right now. Any suggestions?
Just the usual... Restart your phone, make sure Bluetooth is on, restart the app. For me it was really easy, I believe it happened automatically when I pressed the Dropmix button on the game.

edit - ah I see the new posts. Not sure what the deal is in that case.

Qwark

I think I read somewhere that if you sign up for Hasbro's mailing letter, you get 20% off your first purchase from the Hasbro store. Anybody have more details on that?

Just updating in case this helps anybody else, if you sign up for the Hasbro mailing list here:

https://pages.email.hasbro.com/signup

They'll send you an email for 20% off an order. Useful for offsetting the shipping costs at the very least.

Also, I just ordered mine and I'm interested in protective card sleeves. Anybody have recommendations?

Argyle

Yeah, tried that to no avail. My GF's iPhone 6 connects no problem but my Nexus 6p just can't seem to sync to it. The weird thing is it does show up as an available device in my bluetooth settings. I can even pair to it manually that way, but it still doesn't show up as connected in the app. Went through the full run down of troubleshooting in the app as well. Don't know if I should be mad at the board or my phone lol.

Did you accept the location permission when it asked for it? Apparently it is required for Bluetooth LE to work.

Did you accept the location permission when it asked for it? Apparently it is required for Bluetooth LE to work.
I don't even remember if it asked for it to be honest. I know location services on my phone are on (android) because it suggested checking it. Is there a section in the app that I can double check? I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Argyle

I don't even remember if it asked for it to be honest. I know location services on my phone are on (android) because it suggested checking it. Is there a section in the app that I can double check? I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

If you're on Oreo...

Notification shade->Settings (gear icon)->apps and notifications->app permissions->location

For what it's worth I declined the contacts permission and it still worked.

Qwark

I've only ordered the base game, and now I'm having trouble finding the other packs anywhere. I see the Hasbro site has 3 of the packs, but that's not enough for free shipping.. Hmm, maybe I'll wait a couple days and see if Hasbro restocks so I can get 20% off on all 4 plus discovery, and free shipping.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’ve been having a blast with this. Everybody I’ve shown this to has been incredibly impressed. Even hardcore non casual board gamers. Shit is the real deal here folks. Hopefully this gets updated rock band style.

KaYotiX

Banned
I’ve been having a blast with this. Everybody I’ve shown this to has been incredibly impressed. Even hardcore non casual board gamers. Shit is the real deal here folks. Hopefully this gets updated rock band style.

Agree... Been on a hunt for more cards. Have all of season 2 discovery packs and the Pop track pack.

MrBS

Well my copy has reached me in Australia, the app isn't available on the AU play store so I had to sideload it, I'm hoping it works later when I give it a whirl ;)

MrBS

First impressions with just me and MrsBS were underwhelming. I'm hoping going at it with a bigger group will up the fun factor.

Alpha_eX

Just watched the Clash 2v2 tutorial and don't get it at all, looks really dull and I have no idea how it is a music game from that video.

Any better videos? From the one I watched, looks like something to totally avoid which can't be right.

Deal for today only (well, would've been longer if I'd thought about it earlier!): Barnes and Noble has a 20% coupon ( FRIENDSFAM17 ) that applies to Dropmix. I also got an unexplained $10 discount when I added it to my cart. That brings Dropmix down to $69.96 before tax, with free shipping. Quick B&N link, if you're interested.

Listonosh

Just watched the Clash 2v2 tutorial and don't get it at all, looks really dull and I have no idea how it is a music game from that video.

Any better videos? From the one I watched, looks like something to totally avoid which can't be right.

It's not a music game. The music component is secondary to the duel mechanics.

First impressions with just me and MrsBS were underwhelming. I'm hoping going at it with a bigger group will up the fun factor.

I can see that. Played with my wife as well, and it wasn't near as fun as when me and my coworkers played 2v2.

Qwark

Deal for today only (well, would've been longer if I'd thought about it earlier!): Barnes and Noble has a 20% coupon ( FRIENDSFAM17 ) that applies to Dropmix. I also got an unexplained $10 discount when I added it to my cart. That brings Dropmix down to $69.96 before tax, with free shipping. Quick B&N link, if you're interested.

That's the deal I used to buy mine on Thursday, but I didn't get the extra $10 discount. Darn, still a good deal though.

Edit: Got on customer support and they gave me the $10 discount also, holla. Fyi, the discount is for $10 back for every $50 that you spend on toys and games.

Bridges

Unforutnately I don't even have enough space on my phone to download the app, but I jumped on this anyway, too good of a deal to pass up! Thanks for posting!

Damaniel

Banned
I haven't had a chance to look myself yet, but a coworker of mine managed to pick up 5 or 6 discover packs from a local Toys R Us yesterday. They also had a handful of the playlist packs (which seem to be much more available in general). I'm going to head to my local store after work.

Qwark

Received mine today. Seems cool so far, but fairly disappointed in the quality of the cardstock they used, it feels really cheap. Tempted to get card protectors just so I don't have to feel that icky texture.

Rated-G

Received mine today. Seems cool so far, but fairly disappointed in the quality of the cardstock they used, it feels really cheap. Tempted to get card protectors just so I don't have to feel that icky texture.

I’d definitely recommend sleeves, the matte texture of the cards seems to wear most where the nfc tech inside is closest to the surface. If you look close on the front and back you can see a couple small bumps where the print on the card will definitely rub off after a few shuffles and games. I just ordered some for myself so when they arrive I’ll mess around and see if they affect how many cards I can have the board read in a stack or anything like that.

I ordered the KMC perfect fit sleeves and some ultra pros for comparison.

Qwark

I’d definitely recommend sleeves, the matte texture of the cards seems to wear most where the nfc tech inside is closest to the surface. If you look close on the front and back you can see a couple small bumps where the print on the card will definitely rub off after a few shuffles and games. I just ordered some for myself so when they arrive I’ll mess around and see if they affect how many cards I can have the board read in a stack or anything like that.

I ordered the KMC perfect fit sleeves and some ultra pros for comparison.

Nice, I just ordered some Perfect Fits since they seem to fit tighter. You should update once you see how they compare.

Qwark

Sorry to double post, but there's something I can't figure out. In Harmonix's Twitch streams, they showed a feature where you could "weigh in" your deck to make sure that it has the correct amount of cards and points.... How do you get to this feature? I played last night and couldn't figure out how to analyze the deck.

Edit: Also, went all over town looking for cards last night, only managed to find 3 Discovery packs at Best Buy (the guy was nice enough to find them in back for me). They need to restock badly.

Also, is there no way to turn the board off? I'm worried about how fast the batteries will drain, but maybe that's not a concern if it goes into standby mode.

Sorry to double post, but there's something I can't figure out. In Harmonix's Twitch streams, they showed a feature where you could "weigh in" your deck to make sure that it has the correct amount of cards and points.... How do you get to this feature? I played last night and couldn't figure out how to analyze the deck.

Pretty sure that's in the deck builder under Collections.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
As of right now amazon has derby, oroboros, and mirrors with prime shipping for their normal price. I know those aren’t rare but get them if you need them (personally they all have cards worth owning in them). Astro is still the unicorn that nobody but the luckiest seem to be able to get.

Also about board battery life, I’ve had mine in the board since launch playing for at least an hour a day and I am around half battery, good battery life IMO.

Qwark

As of right now amazon has derby, oroboros, and mirrors with prime shipping for their normal price. I know those aren't rare but get them if you need them (personally they all have cards worth owning in them). Astro is still the unicorn that nobody but the luckiest seem to be able to get.

Also about board battery life, I've had mine in the board since launch playing for at least an hour a day and I am around half battery, good battery life IMO.

Thank you, just picked up those 3 packs! Now I just need Astro, it's got some good tunes in it. Guess I'll just use rechargeable batteries and not worry about battery drain.

KaYotiX

Banned
I found every deck and discovery pack at a toys r us.

Own all the cards now :) Game is a blast! Play it every night with wife and son. Can't wait for mire cards to be released.

Qwark

I found every deck and discovery pack at a toys r us.

Own all the cards now :) Game is a blast! Play it every night with wife and son. Can't wait for mire cards to be released.

Question for those having luck with Toys R Us, do you check to see if the website has stock first? The one time I went to check they didn't have stock and the workers had no idea what I was talking about, and the site still says out of stock so not sure if it's worth checking again.

Damaniel

Banned
Some devoted card finders have got a lot of the listings on now in stock http://www.nowinstock.net/toys/dropmix/

apparently I missed Astro at Walmart this morning. :(

Are physical Walmarts carrying the cards, or are they only selling them online?

So far, I've managed to get all 4 playlist packs, 5 out of the 6 series 2 discover packs, and 1 out of the 6 series 1 packs. The local Best Buys that got them here all had exactly 3 random packs (not even a full set each!), and the only way I could get the local stores to bring them out was to order them for online pickup. My local Toys R Us had the base units and plenty of the playlist packs, but no discovery packs at all (nor a space for them). I'll have to check the ones further away, though it's not as if I have a ton of Toys R Us stores within reasonable distance of me.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I went to a toys r us store this weekend and they had the playlists and discovery packs behind the electronics counter. When I asked to see them they had everything. 3 derby’s, 2 mirrors, 2 oroboros, 1 Astro, and all 12 different discoveries. Picked up my Astro and missing discoveries and now own a entire set of wave 1. Bring on wave 2!

Rated-G

Nice, I just ordered some Perfect Fits since they seem to fit tighter. You should update once you see how they compare.

Alright so now that both sleeves have arrived I’ve done some testing. I still need to do some actual games but here’s what I’ve found:

Perfect Fits (PF) really are just that, they fit perfectly, so perfectly in fact that the exposed end of the card will be exactly flush with the opening of the sleeve and in some cases protrude slightly, which probably isn’t ideal given how easily these cards wear. These sleeves really are made for double sleeving.

The Ultra Pros (UP) I ordered are actually really nice, not as loose as UP’s used to be, and are actually pretty solid. These came in first and I liked them so much I contemplated cancelling my PF order because I liked them so much.

These two sleeves are great for double sleeving (DS), which is something I’m considering in case I play at any point with friends when drinks are involved, because no end of the card is exposed to the elements in case of spills or anything. The cards feel solid and well protected when DS’ed though there can be a slight cushion of air within the sleeve occasionally, which is hard to avoid.

When adding cards to your collection, nude (N) cards can be read in stacks of up to 60, PF up to 18-20, and UP up to 13-15, and DS up to 7. If you’re worried about reading cards at the start of Clash and Party modes, it’s fine, the game doesn’t actually need to read he whole stack, it just uses this to assign you a deck icon for turn purposes.

But for actual gameplay, the game doesn’t really allow stacks to surpass 10 cards. So for gameplay purposes:

Nude: 10 card stack
PF: 8, occasionally 9
UP: 7-8
DS: 6-7

Really, in terms of Clash and Party, none of these options would be unplayable. You may encounter a bit of finicky behavior as the stacks get higher, and I may need to play a few games with the sleeves to determine how annoying that might become. Freestyle is going to be the main mode that will be affected. You’ll have to clear off your stacks every once in a while.

So I think the verdict is if you just one to single sleeve, the Ultra Pros are excellent. I don’t really recommend Perfect Fits by themselves. And double sleeving with either of these is an option especially if you want to keep these cards well protected in a Party scenario.

If anyone’s interested in ordering sleeves, these are what I bought:

Ultra Pros

Perfect Fits

Qwark

Card Protector comparison

Interesting, I got my Perfect Fits, and some of them were very tight, but there are none that stick past the protector. I'm happy with them, I just hope I never have to remove them.

I can reliably get 6 stacks to read, but anything over that seems very finicky. My main concern is party mode, I don't want to have to deal with a card not reading when the timer's going.

Rated-G

After some hands on time with both double sleeves cards and single sleeves Ultra Pro cards, I think I prefer just the Ultra Pros. It’s already a good fit, and they’re a little heftier than the Perfect Fits. We never really had big trouble with either method in gameplay, but both preferred the feel. I did leave the Transformers promo card double sleeved though.

Rated-G

I wish the discovery pack bundle would go on sale. Come on, Hasbro.

Are they the only ones that are going to sell it? I was hoping Amazon would get it as well so I could use gift cards. The only thing I’ve actually paid for out of pocket so far has been the Astro playlist.

Qwark

Apparently there was layoffs at Harmonix today :(

Sorry to those affected. Hope this isn't a bad sign for DropMix.

Apparently there was layoffs at Harmonix today :(

Sorry to those affected. Hope this isn't a bad sign for DropMix.

That isn't a good luck if it was a large one

Edit: 14, and their main social media dude Josh was one. Says DropMix has plenty in store and yet, I can't say I'm entirely hopeful

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I really enjoyed watching the streams with josh. I liked the way he explained the gsme while offering advice on strategies. Didn’t sound awkward or forced.

Though he did say that potentially there is going to be some good stuff on the horizon with songs they are trying to get and updates done to the app (he didn’t mention new modes but I can hope). I guess that is the closest confirmation we have to season 2 being a reality.

Top Bottom