• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drug references in video games

TrueGrime

I know they're out there. I can think of a few off the top of my head but the most prominent one I think is skooma in Elder Scrolls.

fig,heather_grey,mens,ffffff.2u1.jpg

Skooma is a potion produced from moonsugar. It is a highly addictive narcotic, and its users pass through bouts of euphoria followed by protracted lethargy. It is smoked in a special pipe; the crystals are placed in a small dish and heated. The gas produced is bubbled through water in the pipe to cool it as it is inhaled.

Have you played any games were any items and/or potions can be likened to a drug reference? Don't forget to mention the effect of said item and/or potion.

dugdug

Banned
From the Max Payne wiki:

In Max Payne, the Valkyr drug is a military performance enhancer that turns its users into adrenaline-charged killers who experience hallucinatory images of death.

heroin_hero_de.jpg

But seriously, Max Payne pretty much fits the bill. In every game, he's constantly taking pain killers and other drugs to numb the pain.

EBE

also, for the longest time i thought Raz (Psychonauts) used bath salts to wake up from peoples minds. it was smelling salts. so confusing.

Colocho

Banned
What is it with the "witty" remarks that just post a fucking picture of the game in a thread like this one? I can understand doing it in another type of thread just so a few people get the reference you're trying to make, but why here?

RerezDude

The GTA5 drug trip references are really the best ever. They take the game out of the real world and closer to 'Saints Row' levels of strange and crazy.

With all of these posts I'm surprised no one has mentioned Infamous Second Son. Spoiler filter will be used just in case.
When learning Fetch's back story, you learn that her and her brother Brent were both addicted to drugs while living on the run. One day, Fetch looses her stash and thinks that Brent stole it. They get into a fight, and fiending for a fix, she ends up killing him.
One of the better drug related back stories if I don't say so.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Fallout series had a ton.

Stimpacks = Healing

Buffout = Strength *addictive causes withdrawals if not taken

Mentats = Int *addictive causes withdrawals if not taken

Rad Away = Removes radiation

JET = (forgot what it boosts think AP?) *addictive causes withdrawals if not taken

Psycho = (forgot what it does) *addictive causes withdrawals if not taken

There were a few more but dont remember them at the moment.

seriously-drugs-can-fix-anything-d.jpg

Know its a pic from the modern title, but all of the memories come off more from the original games.

Here we go. OP check this wiki out for a huge list

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chems

For quite some time i thought "herobrine" was some sort of drug that was taken out of minecraft because it sounds like heroine, then i googled it. Wasn't Haze all about drugs to control people?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Spoiler for a famous Japanese-only GBA game:
Mother 3 has a section where you eat a mushroom and go on a strange trip.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
First thought was that one scene in Alan Wake. The 'Moonshine'.

Second thought was the farm stage in Lollipop Chainsaw.

(Can't find an image to fully demonstrate it, but in the chapter you cut giant mushrooms that give you hallucinate dreams usually about giant cyborg chickens, then wake up on a mower to then mow down zombies to the song, "You Spin Me Right Round". Boss is also psychedelic.)

Then that reminded me of some segments towards the end of Shadows of the Damned.

Sot_D_PSycho.png

Top Bottom