• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS JRPG-gasm: World Destruction conference (info, news, dates, screens, videos)

duckroll

Today in Japan Sega held a special event announcing the details of the World Destruction project. The official site was also updated as a portal to all the different cross-media formats of the project.

Official Site Portal: http://wd.sega.jp

The conference has been covered by several media outlets, reports are available in Japanese at the following links:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080530/wd.htm
http://www.inside-games.jp/news/293/29349.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1215519_1124.html

On to the info:

- There will be 3 formats: anime, manga, game

- The anime is called World Destruction ~ The 6 who destroy the world, it will debut on TV Tokyo on 7th July at 1:30 am
- It will be animated by Production IG's Studio 10, a new internal studio that previously worked on the Tsubasa Chronicle Tokyo Revelations OVA
- The anime cast list is as follows, Kyrie Ilnis: Mamoru Miyano, Molte Ashera: Maaya Sakamoto, Agan Mardol: Hiroyuki Yoshino, Li-ah Dragnell: Yu Kobayashi, Nadja Gref: Daisuke Ono, Toppi Topran: Toru Furuya

- The manga is called World Destruction ~ The two Angels, and will debut with chapter 0 in Dengeki Maou's September issue that streets on 26th July
- The manga will be drawn by Minoru Murao, who worked as animation character designer on both Last Exile and Submarine 707R.

- The game is called World Destruction ~ The Will that leads, and will be released on 18th Sept for 5980yen
- The game's story is the original base for all 3 projects, but each project will have an original spin on the story and they are not related to one another
- The game uses a 2gbit cart, and the extra space will be used to contain "a huge variety of rotatable 3D maps", "over 300 event scenes", "an abundance of sprite animation for the characters".
- The game cast list is as follows, Kyrie Ilnis: Mamoru Miyano, Molte Ashera: Maaya Sakamoto, Agan Mardol: Hiroyuki Yoshino, Li-ah Dragnell: Yui Ichikawa, Nadja Gref: Hiro Mizushima, Toppi Topran: Toru Furuya
- World Destruction was conceptualized as a return to the classic days of RPGs while using the newest technology and methods possible. This means well animated 2D sprites on detailed 3D backgrounds which are rotatable, and a fast and fun battle system with tons of attacks.

Screenshots

0805305464_15.jpg
0805305464_16.jpg
0805305464_14.jpg

0805305464_22.jpg
0805305464_23.jpg
0805305464_24.jpg

0805305464_10.jpg
0805305464_11.jpg
0805305464_9.jpg

More here...

Videos

CG Trailer w/ Mitsuda music: http://japan.gamespot.com/ds/videos/story/0,3800076101,20374378,00.htm?ref=rss

Anime Trailer: http://japan.gamespot.com/ds/videos/story/0,3800076101,20374380,00.htm?ref=rss

Game and Anime Promo Trailer w/Gameplay scenes: http://japan.gamespot.com/ds/videos/story/0,3800076101,20374383,00.htm?ref=rss

king zell

thanks duckroll

the game looks great , between this , DQ9 , Inazuma eleven and fire emblem the DS rpg lineup for this year is amazing .

please sega an English version

callous

Yeah ok, SOLD.

I can't quite figure out from the video if it's turn based or not, although it sort of looks like it. Anyone know?

jarrod said:
Looks hot. I wonder if DS will supplant SNES/PS1/PS2 as the best JRPG platform in history?
Meh. Considering it still doesn't have much at all in the way of AAA JRPGs, it's got a hell of a lot of catching up to do in its final years.

Volcynika

callous said:
Yeah ok, SOLD.

I can't quite figure out from the video if it's turn based or not, although it sort of look like it. Anyone know?

I think the other thread mentioned how it's turn-based, but I could be wrong...

sphinx

the piano man
jarrod said:
Looks hot. I wonder if DS will supplant SNES/PS1/PS2 as the best JRPG platform in history?

No way.

In fact, the DS owes us RPG lovers a lot.

about the game, looks great. Is it coming to America?

duckroll

callous said:
Yeah ok, SOLD.

I can't quite figure out from the video if it's turn based or not, although it sort of look like it. Anyone know?

It's turn based, the battle system is called Aerial Hit Chain Battle. During each character's turn you hit the buttons to do corresponding attacks and stuff. Might be a bit like VP or Xenogears. They mentioned combos and canceling too, so it's definitely taking stuff from Grandia too, especially with a totally visible turn-order bar.

sphinx

the piano man
Fuzz Rez said:
There is too many "must have JRPG-games" on DS. Nintendo DS is killing my wallet :(

woah, woah, wait a second, seems like I've entered into the twilight zone.

WHERE in the world are these gorgeous JRPGS you guys are talking about??

I mean STANDARD rpgs, not stuff like FF:crystal chronicles or FF12:RW

I can count the games possiby with one hand:

FF3, Etrian Odyssey, Shiren perhaps??

harSon

Banned
I think I'm just going to sell my consoles and become a handheld gamer... I seem to be a lot more hyped for DS or PSP games these days.

kswiston

jarrod said:

I would say no, unless you count remakes/ports as equal to the original. SNES is hard to beat. DQ V-VI, FFIV-VI, Chrono Trigger, Act Raiser, Soul Blazer series, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, three Fire Emblem titles, the Romancing SaGa series, Ogre Battle, not to mention some of Square/Enix's smaller IPs.

It's giving PS2 a run for its money though

jarrod

Banned
Volcynika said:
Sega brings us Valkyria and now this?

They're going back into good things!
Don't forget Infinite Line and Shiren DS/3. SEGA's rocking JRPGs recently... which they really haven't done since the Saturn days imo. <3 <3

callous said:
Meh. Considering it still doesn't have much at all in the way of AAA JRPGs, it's got a hell of a lot of catching up to do in its final years.
Honestly, I think it's catching up pretty quickly now (World Destruction, Infinite Line, Soma Bringer, Avalon Code, Shiren DS 1-2, Front Mission/2089, Pokemon DI/PE/PL, PMD1-2, FF remakes, FFTA2, FFCC, FFXIIRW, Summon Night 1-2, Fire Emblem, Glory of Heracles 4, Rune Factory 1-2, Izuna 1-2, Etrian Odyssey 1-2, tons of DQ, Disgaea, Inazuma 11, Mistwalker games, Tales games, Contact, Sigma Harmonics, TWEWY, VP DS, etc, etc). PS1 and PS2 were pretty weak RPG wise their first couple years too honestly, both also didn't peak until their twilight years imo.

bryehn

Looks good, hopefully SEGA announces a localized version soon. They're usually quite good about bringing stuff over (to NA at least)

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Stop listing shit in my thread Mr Jarrod. Go start your own list thread somewhere.
But I thought this thread was about DS JRPG-gasm... I came in and just found a Xeno-me-too? :p

callous

jarrod said:
Honestly, I think it's catching up pretty quickly now (World Destruction, Infinite Line, Soma Bringer, Avalon Code, Shiren DS 1-2, Front Mission/2089, Pokemon DI/PE/PL, PMD1-2, FF remakes, FFTA2, FFCC, FFXIIRW, Summon Night 1-2, Fire Emblem, Glory of Heracles 4, Rune Factory 1-2, Izuna 1-2, Etrian Odyssey 1-2, tons of DQ, Disgaea, Inazuma 11, Mistwalker games, Tales games, Contact, Sigma Harmonics, TWEWY, VP DS, etc, etc). PS1 and PS2 were pretty weak RPG wise their first couple years too honestly, both also didn't peak until their twilight years imo.
Hey, I look forward to DQ and FF remakes as much as the next JRPG nut, but outside of those, I really don't consider that a list of bonafide AAA JRPGs, many of them being sub-genre titles (RTS, SRPG, farming etc.), and very, very few straight up JRPGs. Things like Contact and Inazuma. Good games, not really great games. And again, kind of sub-genre titles. All this aside, that list is absolutely and utterly dwarfed by SNES, PSX and PS2 JRPG libraries. Libraries that also have plenty of honest to god great JRPGs in them. DS is just nowhere near either of them. I wish it was! I was expecting it to deliver much, much more. Ah well, there is still hope.

Sorry, duckroll. I'll stick to World Destruction (!) from here on.

duckroll

bryehn said:
Looks good, hopefully SEGA announces a localized version soon. They're usually quite good about bringing stuff over (to NA at least)

If stuff like Shiren and Valkyria is making it, this is pretty much a shoe-in.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
But that's not surprising at all. The entire Platinum Games deal was for worldwide releases.
Sure, but I don't think Valkyria was all that surprising either.... it was greenlit with a worldwide release in mind (but then again, so was ST5).

near

Gold Member
Gameplay scenes...OMG This just went up to the top of my 'to buy' list, September couldn't come sooner!

Excellent, more information on another straightforward JRPG on the DS. Seems to be a glut of SRPGs lately. I enjoy SRPGs plenty, but there can only be too many on the system, and there's barely any straightforward RPGs.

duckroll

I watched the gameplay trailer again, and now I'm wondering....

2ngzplt.jpg

They showed 3 different battle sequences in that segment, but each segment has a totally different interface. I wonder what's up with that...

duckroll said:

2ngzplt.jpg

They showed 3 different battle sequences in that segment, but each segment has a totally different interface. I wonder what's up with that...
Looks good though.

JaMarco

duckroll said:

2ngzplt.jpg

Maybe you can choose between a button based interface or a touch based interface?

duckroll

Case said:
Maybe you can choose between a button based interface or a touch based interface?

You might be on to something there, but it doesnt fully explain why the top screen has 3 different types of stat display interfaces. If it's fully customizable that would be pretty cool...

Vinci

Danish
duckroll said:
You might be on to something there, but it doesnt fully explain why the top screen has 3 different types of stat display interfaces. If it's fully customizable that would be pretty cool...

Dude, they're just fucking with you. If you initiate combat with this person, the interface is one way; if that person, another one; etc.

And yes, I'm just making that up but I like it.

JaMarco

duckroll said:
You might be on to something there, but it doesnt fully explain why the top screen has 3 different types of stat display interfaces.
Actually the 3rd screen just looks like a zoomed-in view of the 2nd screens interface, maybe cause of the special attack thats going on

kiryogi

Banned
Ok. I'm so fucking sold. This is the next title since Soma Bringer that I'm super hyped about. That video was the final key. :D

Top Bottom