DS Metroid Dread to be released in 2006?

#1
According to DS-x2 DS Metroid Dread has a TBC 2006 release date in the new Official Nintendo Magazine. This would put to rest rumours of the game being cancelled, which came from Game Informer iirc.

If true, much joy and jubilation :)
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
#3
According to one of our readers, Metroid Dread, the rumoured follow-up to the 2D Metroid series which was said to be canned, might still be on the horizon.
:lol

what sites relies on their readers to give them scoops?
 
#5
Sunski said:
1) Joy? We know nothing about it./

2) It was always clear they would not mention this game officially until Hunters is out.
1) it's joy for me, i love metroid games. you don't have to have any joy for the game.

2) imo, nintendo has a 2D metroid in development for ds.
 
#7
These games are listed:

2006 TBC
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (DS)
Metroid Dread (DS)
Pokemon Dungeon: Blue Rescue (DS)
Pokemon Dungeon: Red Rescue (GBA)
Smash Bros Revolution (Rev)
Metroid Prime 3 (Rev)

Maybe an E3 surprise...
 
#8
It's not a mistake. As far as I know Nintendo has never officially cancelled the game so I'm not sure why everyone thinks it isn't coming.
As someone has already said, Nintendo isn't going to start pushing it with Hunters on the way. I imagine we'll here about both the new Metroid games at E3.
 
#10
Twilight Rockstar said:
It's not a mistake. As far as I know Nintendo has never officially cancelled the game so I'm not sure why everyone thinks it isn't coming.
As someone has already said, Nintendo isn't going to start pushing it with Hunters on the way. I imagine we'll here about both the new Metroid games at E3.
thanks.

it's great to know a continuation of the brilliant 2d metroid games it coming to ds. can't wait! :)
 
#11
Twilight Rockstar said:
I imagine we'll here about both the new Metroid games at E3.
Why would they talk about Metroid Prime Hunters at E3, the game is getting released in march.

edit: oh, you mean metroid prime 3? ok.
 
#23
I want to believe... Really, I do. The way I see it, there's hope. I hadn't heard jack shit about Metroid Fusion until I saw it on display at E3 one year. So perhaps Dread will make a similar surprise debut in Nintendo's booth in a few months.
 
#24
Error2k4 said:
what sites relies on their readers to give them scoops?
A site of whom its staff can make a judgement on what kind of submissions can be trusted and whatnot. If you're dedicated and it's a hobby keeping a site up and running, you get to know some of your readers. Just like everyone here knows Drinky and his thoughts about Nintendo...

A few of our readers (as I'm the guy 'owning' DS-x2) work at NoE, NoA, NoJ, Capcom (Japan), Zoo Digital or Konami to name a few, or have close connections to them. For example, the scoop on the Nintendo DS European release details (price, packaging, date, bundles, etc) came in through one of our readers.

I agree that not everything submitted by readers is valid. Heck, even the 'big' sites depend on what they hear. Remember IGN claiming to have heard that Halo was definately heading to the GBA? One day after that Bungie struck back with a post on their frontpage claiming it was definately not.
However it's possible to get a few more tidbits if you pay attention to what you see and hear and keep focussed on what it's about.
 
#25
Twilight Rockstar said:
It's not a mistake. As far as I know Nintendo has never officially cancelled the game so I'm not sure why everyone thinks it isn't coming.
Has Nintendo officially announced it ? I thought they didn't... so they can't cancell it.
 
#26
Koren said:
Has Nintendo officially announced it ? I thought they didn't... so they can't cancell it.
The game was first announced through a list of games that Nintendo was to present at E3. NoA also mentioned that they were "surprised that it was not shown". Everyone assumes it was cancelled, however, because of an unnamed insider with Nintendo at some Nintendo fan site. However, they have not been able to prove this to be legitimate.
 
#30
PhoenixDark said:
2006 though? I can't help but doubt that. Two Metroid games for the DS in one year seems off. 2007 is more likely.

why not it would be two different teams working on it

Hunters was supposed to originally hit last year, Dread was probably in the planning for coming this year with that in mind, I could see 2 Metroid DS games being released this year, especially ones as different as these are supposed to be Hunters is a full on 3d FP game and Dread is most likely another 2D game
 
#31
Why does everyone assume Dread is a traditional 2d Metroid? I mean, it was never even announced at all, for all we know it could be a text adventure, if it exists.
 
#32
PhoenixDark said:
2006 though? I can't help but doubt that. Two Metroid games for the DS in one year seems off. 2007 is more likely.
? While they were not on the same system, Fusion and Prime were released at the same time. I don't see why being on the same system and being done by different studios makes it unlikely.

Morts said:
Why does everyone assume Dread is a traditional 2d Metroid? I mean, it was never even announced at all, for all we know it could be a text adventure, if it exists.
IIRC, there was information showing it to be a 2D Metroid. Also, why does everyone doubt its existence? If some small-time Nintendo fansite hadn't of said that an "unnamed source" told them it was cancelled, no one would assume as such. We now have an official Nintendo magazine contradicting what they say, so stop being so damn pessimistic.
 
#33
A Link to the Past said:
? While they were not on the same system, Fusion and Prime were released at the same time. I don't see why being on the same system and being done by different studios makes it unlikely.



IIRC, there was information showing it to be a 2D Metroid. Also, why does everyone doubt its existence? If some small-time Nintendo fansite hadn't of said that an "unnamed source" told them it was cancelled, no one would assume as such. We now have an official Nintendo magazine contradicting what they say, so stop being so damn pessimistic.
Well, it was Game Informer, not a small fan site, that said it was canceled. However, I still agree with you -- I didn't think they were right then, because a 2D Metroid for the DS is just so intuitive that of course Nintendo would be developing it like they originally said. And now there's official confirmation, so people should stop the doubting.
 
#35
ethelred said:
Well, it was Game Informer, not a small fan site, that said it was canceled. However, I still agree with you -- I didn't think they were right then, because a 2D Metroid for the DS is just so intuitive that of course Nintendo would be developing it like they originally said. And now there's official confirmation, so people should stop the doubting.
Game Informer got this information from a Nintendo fan site, and pretended like they discovered it all by themselves.
 
#36
Hopefully it's more like Super Metroid in terms in art and sound and gameplay than Metroid Fusion. It just did everything better and I don't think a single person will disagree with that.
 
#37
I <3 Katamari said:
Hopefully it's more like Super Metroid in terms in art and sound and gameplay than Metroid Fusion. It just did everything better and I don't think a single person will disagree with that.

I Bow down before Super Metroid. But Fusion and Zero were just a notch under. I hope it matches at least Fusion/Zero quality.
 
#38
In a somewhat unrelated note, if I can't play Metroid Prime 3 on an actual Revolution at E3 I am gonna find Miyamoto and kick him right in the cornhole.

Then I'll apologize and ask him to sign my DS.
 
#40
I don't know why everyone thought it was cancelled, in the first place. Why would Nintendo cancel it? It's a big-name release. I absolutely cannot wait for this game. DS 2006 is shaping up to be even better than DS 2005.

Blackbird said:
A site of whom its staff can make a judgement on what kind of submissions can be trusted and whatnot. If you're dedicated and it's a hobby keeping a site up and running, you get to know some of your readers. Just like everyone here knows Drinky and his thoughts about Nintendo...

A few of our readers (as I'm the guy 'owning' DS-x2) work at NoE, NoA, NoJ, Capcom (Japan), Zoo Digital or Konami to name a few, or have close connections to them. For example, the scoop on the Nintendo DS European release details (price, packaging, date, bundles, etc) came in through one of our readers.

I agree that not everything submitted by readers is valid. Heck, even the 'big' sites depend on what they hear. Remember IGN claiming to have heard that Halo was definately heading to the GBA? One day after that Bungie struck back with a post on their frontpage claiming it was definately not.
However it's possible to get a few more tidbits if you pay attention to what you see and hear and keep focussed on what it's about.
You run the site? Can you explain to me why you leech 95% of your content from other sites, and act like it's your own scoop?
 
#41
AdmiralViscen said:
I don't know why everyone thought it was cancelled, in the first place. Why would Nintendo cancel it? It's a big-name release. I absolutely cannot wait for this game. DS 2006 is shaping up to be even better than DS 2005.



You run the site? Can you explain to me why you leech 95% of your content from other sites, and act like it's your own scoop?

Yea there own scoop when they say "Source: Site here" after every article... what?
 
#42
AdmiralViscen said:
You run the site? Can you explain to me why you leech 95% of your content from other sites, and act like it's your own scoop?
going slightly offtopic, but worth a reply in my opinion.
Japanese scans: always thanking neo2046 if it comes through him (either through here or through the games animation forums). Most other content: publishers' extranets, PR agency's (MMPR, GamesPress, VirtualPressOffice, etc), direct emails.

I'm using one single rule for sourcing: "Can't find the original release? Then source. Otherwise use the original source."

Now are you referring to anything specific, or do you want me to place things like "src: Konami" and "src: GamesPress"? Sorry I can't poop screenshots yet.


[edit]
Just for the record, the last few posts in the database with their sources. Now you tell me where we went wrong.

4872: Animal Crossing: Wild World - Euro Box
NoE PR

4871: Japanese Mario Kart DS Time Trial
NoJ website

4870: Metroid Dread Still In Development?
Reader's email

4868: Rockman ZX - Scan
Couldn't find the actual origin. Wasn't neo's afaik, hence no source mentioned

4867: Chicken Little Competition: The Results
A competition. Nothing more to say, I think.

4866: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2&3 coming...
PR

4865: Lost Magic EU - Release Date
source mentioned: DS-Gamer

4864: Mechassault - Screenshots
Majesco PR

4825: Chicken Little Competition
A competition. Nothing more to say, I think.

4863: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Screenshots
Direct email from Buena Vista

4861: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - Movie
Developer

4860: MechAssault DS confirmed
Majesco PR

4859: European Gamers Love Nintendogs
NoE PR

4858: Opera Answers Questions
reader's email

4821: Weekly Japanese Sales: 02/06 - 02/12
source mentioned: Media Create

4857: RAM expansion GBA cart & TV card unlikely to be released outside Japan
source mentioned: CVG

4856: Official Nintendo Magazine - Website + Forum
NoE PR

4855: DS vs. DS lite & screens from the conference
source mentioned: Game Watch
 
#44
AdmiralViscen said:
You run the site? Can you explain to me why you leech 95% of your content from other sites, and act like it's your own scoop?
I always give the source whenever I post news on the site... I don't post much though, heh.

Anyway, was Threepio the one who first confirmed that the DS Lite would have a GBA slot cover?
 
#45
Gaybrush Threepio said:
Metroid Dred is still on the release schedule for 2006, no date yet though
This is all the confirmation I need.

BTW I wonder what percentage of GAF is going to decree Metroid Prime Hunters shite after Metroid Dread is officially unvieiled. I'm guessing 65 percent.
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
#47
Chris Michael said:
I always give the source whenever I post news on the site... I don't post much though, heh.

Anyway, was Threepio the one who first confirmed that the DS Lite would have a GBA slot cover?
So do I, I think it's Ben and Ducky that don't always do so.
 
#48
Nintendo’s official word on Metroid Dread

Following the earlier story of Metroid Dread being listed in Nintendo: Official Magazine, I decided to email Nintendo and see if they were willing to divulge any info. I just got back a response.

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

To tell you the truth, I have rumors about a Metroid Dread being in development for the Nintendo DS. However, that’s all they are: rumors. There are no current plans to develop the game.

Nintendo of America Inc.
M. Michel Grimaldi


The email had a lot more information, but it was all the required information that the email has to contain. The above part was the only personal aspect of the email. So while Metroid Dread has been heard, the people at Nintendo.com have said it is only a rumor. Hmmmm…the plot thickens…
http://gonintendo.com/?p=946
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
#49
NoA and NoE hardly ever know anything long before the public unless it's something NCL really does need them to prepare for beforehand, the only people that would know are the people at NCL.
 
#50
That letter is almost exactly like the one I got back from Nintendo in 1990 when I wrote asking when the SNES and Super Mario World were coming to the US, and they were like "We have no plans at the moment to develop a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3, but we certainly will consider it if enough fans like you ask for one!"