• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 + Firestick 4K am I screwed here boys?

cryptoadam

Banned
So got a firestick 4K for Jewish Xmas. Was all hyped to turn it into a retro gaming center. But I can't pair my DS4 with the firestick 4K. I go into the setting set it to pair do everything and it wont pair the controller.

So am I screwed here? reading around it seems like I might not have the right controller and stick. I have a gen 1 PS4. Bad boy has lasted my from day 1 until now (got it on day 1 at Toys R Us). I read that these gen 1 controllers don't work and or the new firesticks don't work.

Either way it sounds like I am SOL?

ethomaz

Banned
It won't work due how the old Android (Firestick uses old Android) manage the Bluethooth profile)... it sould work fine if the Fire OS was based on Android 10 (that DS4 BT profile works flawless).

I don't believe newer DS4 will works too but I won't buy one to try (I have one day one controller and the other brought 3 months after launch).

So you can buy a Xbox One Controller... it works pretty well with Firestick 4k (I have one).

PS. My DS4 pair with Firestick 4k but it can't accept input from it... so useless.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
It won't work due how the old Android (Firestick uses old Android) manage the Bluethooth profile)... it sould work fine if the Fire OS was based on Android 10 (that DS4 BT profile works flawless).

I don't believe newer DS4 will works too but I won't buy one to try (I have one day one controller and the other brought 3 months after launch).

So you can buy a Xbox One Controller... it works pretty well with Firestick 4k (I have one).

PS. My DS4 pair with Firestick 4k but it can't accept input from it... so useless.

Thanks for the reply

If I buy one of those USB dongles would that help? But then I guess I lose the blue tooth.

Any suggestions on cheap BT controllers I can get?

Fn Sony why can't they play nice. I had the same problem on my nexus Android TV box.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks for the reply

If I buy one of those USB dongles would that help? But then I guess I lose the blue tooth.

Any suggestions on cheap BT controllers I can get?

Fn Sony why can't they play nice. I had the same problem on my nexus Android TV box.
Ohhh yes wired DS4 works fine it just that it is not an option for me due the cable limitations.

I didn't try others controllers but I know Xbox One Controller works fine.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'd love to hear how this works out and a step by step guide on how you did it.

Very cool

You can find lots of tutorials online and Youtube.

From what I saw its pretty easy. Just download retroarch to your firestick. Get the roms from you game collection. And transfer them either through FTP/ES file or get a USB+dongle and just have it read off of there.

But I didn't do it yet because I need the gamepad. Since my DS4 won't work I need pick up another BT controller.

ethomaz

Banned
I'd love to hear how this works out and a step by step guide on how you did it.

Very cool
You can install Aptoide and so you have access to all apps from Android including emulators.

You can do it without Aptoide but it makes easier... you have all called Downloader on Fire Store and it will download any type of app you want to install if you have the location to download.

FireSrick 4k has 8GB memory that is enough for a lot of ROMs.

Last edited:

Agent X

It is possible to pair a DualShock 4 with a Fire TV Stick. I know this, because I did this myself for the first time yesterday, so I could use it with Luna.

All you need to do is press and hold the SHARE button, and (while still holding SHARE) press the PS button to put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode.

This works on newer DualShock 4 controllers (the ones where the light glows through a clear line at the top of the touch pad), but apparently does not work with the original model

If you're not sure what to do on the Fire TV Stick: Go to Settings, then "Controllers & Bluetooth Devices"", then "Game Controllers", then "Add New Game Controller". After that, put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode, as described above.

cryptoadam

Banned
It is possible to pair a DualShock 4 with a Fire TV Stick. I know this, because I did this myself for the first time yesterday, so I could use it with Luna.

All you need to do is press and hold the SHARE button, and (while still holding SHARE) press the PS button to put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode.

This works on newer DualShock 4 controllers (the ones where the light glows through a clear line at the top of the touch pad), but apparently does not work with the original model

If you're not sure what to do on the Fire TV Stick: Go to Settings, then "Controllers & Bluetooth Devices"", then "Game Controllers", then "Add New Game Controller". After that, put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode, as described above.

Yup did that like 50 times, didn't work.

My DS4 is from the day 1 consoles so from my understanding I don't have the right BT firmware or something.

I have seen the YT vids showing it working, but for me it doesn't work no mattert how many times I try.

CobraAB

Been trying out Amazon’s Luna game streaming service with the Luna controller. Pretty decent controller. I am using a Fire TV Cube 2nd generation.

Agent X

My DS4 is from the day 1 consoles so from my understanding I don't have the right BT firmware or something.

I believe this is the reason why you can't pair your controller. The early model DualShock 4 controllers don''t support the pairing command that I described earlier. Only the later models have this ability.

Also, there isn't any "firmware update" for the controller, as far as I know.

I tried the pairing command with my DS4 from 2013, and the controller doesn't recognize it. It simply turns on my PS4, as if I pressed the PS button alone.

With my DS4 from 2019, the controller easily goes into pairing mode, which is represented by a flashing light bar on the controller.

DualShock 4 works very well with my Fire TV Stick when they are paired. I can even navigate the Fire TV interface with the controller.

cryptoadam

Banned
I believe this is the reason why you can't pair your controller. The early model DualShock 4 controllers don''t support the pairing command that I described earlier. Only the later models have this ability.

Also, there isn't any "firmware update" for the controller, as far as I know.

I tried the pairing command with my DS4 from 2013, and the controller doesn't recognize it. It simply turns on my PS4, as if I pressed the PS button alone.

With my DS4 from 2019, the controller easily goes into pairing mode, which is represented by a flashing light bar on the controller.

DualShock 4 works very well with my Fire TV Stick when they are paired. I can even navigate the Fire TV interface with the controller.

yup looks like being an early adopter has screwed me over.

Probably end up ordering a BT controller, maybe finding a used XBOX one or something.

Antwix

For what it's worth, the xbox controller works good. I used to use it with my Firestick 4k but I think got annoyed with pairing and unpairing it all the time. I ended up buying a Playstation Classic usb controller with a usb extension cable for like $12 and just use that whenever I want to play on my fire stick.

edit: I also needed to buy a otg usb adapter for this to work

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Has anyone tried Lumia? I want to try it
Yup, I subscribe to the service. I don't have many issues with lag at all, and input lag I don't notice either. I will say using the Lumia controller with the service is a breeze. It pairs over wifi when you are playing with the service and so far as been seamless. Is the controller itself worth $50 or $60 bucks...that is harder to say. I don't like the shell construction and I am not a fan of the thumb sticks...they feel low quality to me.

In terms of games offered and performance Lumia has some good choices and as I stated above, I have not had any lag issues. Beware: it only works with PC currently and will not run on your mobile devices (this is planned soon-ish).

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yup, I subscribe to the service. I don't have many issues with lag at all, and input lag I don't notice either. I will say using the Lumia controller with the service is a breeze. It pairs over wifi when you are playing with the service and so far as been seamless. Is the controller itself worth $50 or $60 bucks...that is harder to say. I don't like the shell construction and I am not a fan of the thumb sticks...they feel low quality to me.

In terms of games offered and performance Lumia has some good choices and as I stated above, I have not had any lag issues. Beware: it only works with PC currently and will not run on your mobile devices (this is planned soon-ish).
Doesnt it work with a fire stick too?

Also, are you pretty close to a data centre? Im pretty sure I'm a fair distance away from one (Alberta Canada) but I have a (several) 4k fire stick and a PS4 controller so the risk is minimal.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

So got a firestick 4K for Jewish Xmas. Was all hyped to turn it into a retro gaming center. But I can't pair my DS4 with the firestick 4K. I go into the setting set it to pair do everything and it wont pair the controller.

So am I screwed here? reading around it seems like I might not have the right controller and stick. I have a gen 1 PS4. Bad boy has lasted my from day 1 until now (got it on day 1 at Toys R Us). I read that these gen 1 controllers don't work and or the new firesticks don't work.

Either way it sounds like I am SOL?
Off Topic: Uneducated Australian here..

I'm intrigued about Jewish Xmas.. I don't think I've ever knowingly met a Jewish person in my life. Is Jewish Xmas Hannukah? And what is the difference apart from the religious aspects? Like do you still have a tree? You obviously still get presents.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I'm intrigued about Jewish Xmas.. I don't think I've ever knowingly met a Jewish person in my life. Is Jewish Xmas Hannukah? And what is the difference apart from the religious aspects? Like do you still have a tree? You obviously still get presents.
He was making a joke kiwi. Oh wait wrong country.

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptoadam

Banned

It was more a joke, but yes I guess you could call it Hannukah. I am also from a mixed family and my sisters birthday is the 24th. So we kind of combine everything into one and all my family get together and give gifts etc...

ethomaz

Banned

It doesn’t work on FireStick 4k.

There is a specific version of normal FireSrick (2G I believe) that newer DS4 worked... maybe that is your FireStick.

Justin9mm

You guys really hate NZ that much eh?

Not that much hate.. But they have like small man syndrome, they are always trying to tell the world they exist and how much different and better they are than Australia.

Then they whine about how every Kiwi Actor in Hollywood we try and steal because the rest of the world can't differentiate between the accents.. like how is that our fault! Then they end up coming over to Australia to live in droves but still complain about how much NZ is better than Australia 🤷‍♂️

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Doesnt it work with a fire stick too?

Also, are you pretty close to a data centre? Im pretty sure I'm a fair distance away from one (Alberta Canada) but I have a (several) 4k fire stick and a PS4 controller so the risk is minimal.
Yes it does connect to a fire stick according to their documentation, but I have not tried it personally.

RE: Data Center - Maybe. I am in Texas and have fiber in my home and office.

cryptoadam

Banned
Not that much hate.. But they have like small man syndrome, they are always trying to tell the world they exist and how much different and better they are than Australia.

Then they whine about how every Kiwi Actor in Hollywood we try and steal because the rest of the world can't differentiate between the accents.. like how is that our fault! Then they end up coming over to Australia to live in droves but still complain about how much NZ is better than Australia 🤷‍♂️

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes it does connect to a fire stick according to their documentation, but I have not tried it personally.

RE: Data Center - Maybe. I am in Texas and have fiber in my home and office.
Thanks. I hope the service comes here soon. I'd like to try it.

onQ123

Should have got the Chromecast with Google TV it can run retro games all the way up to Dreamcast & the DS4 work with no problems

cryptoadam

Banned
Should have got the Chromecast with Google TV it can run retro games all the way up to Dreamcast & the DS4 work with no problems
Fuck my butt I didn't know it was a thing.

I have a regular chromecast but didn't know that they made one with GTV included. I way prefer android set top box software over Amazon (yes I know they both use android but firestick is bloat city).

Ya I would have 100% taken that over a firestick if I knew it was a thing actually.

Where were you 3 weeks ago. I choose to blame you and request a refund for my Firestick and a Chromecast with GTV for the inconvience you caused by not predicting I would buy a firestick, not pair my DS4 and then make a thread.

onQ123

Fuck my butt I didn't know it was a thing.

I have a regular chromecast but didn't know that they made one with GTV included. I way prefer android set top box software over Amazon (yes I know they both use android but firestick is bloat city).

Ya I would have 100% taken that over a firestick if I knew it was a thing actually.

Where were you 3 weeks ago. I choose to blame you and request a refund for my Firestick and a Chromecast with GTV for the inconvience you caused by not predicting I would buy a firestick, not pair my DS4 and then make a thread.
LOL

Top Bottom