• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Sipheren

Banned
The PS4 at my local EB Games has this issue but my mates system is perfectly fine (granted he doesn't game much)

I think it's just the soft coating stuff, it seems to wear down fairly easly...

Dante316

Recently my ds4 serms more slippery than usual. Does anyone have kontrol freeks? Is it good? That would help and I might order them.

molnizzle

Mine aren't peeling like some in this thread but they're definitely getting pretty nasty with oily buildup now after 250~ hours of use. Pretty slippery now too. I'm not sure what's causing it as I always wash my hands before I play. Never had this issue with the DS3.

What's my best course of action here? Rubbing alcohol and some q-tips?

ButchCat

You'll be hitting two birds in one stone by buying caps for the thumbsticks. No more slippage for sweaty thumbs and protection.

Thought that the slightly different texture on my recently exchanged Ds4 would make a difference. New one is already getting smooth on the right. Bummer. Sony: fix this please.

Cynn

I use these:

YbnVEwI.jpg

They look like this:

They feel really damn good and I've always HATED stick grips.

I'm not having any problems with the thumb sticks myself, but just for kicks, I'll try putting the xbone controller's sticks in the dualshock. See what magic will happen.

I dismissed this stuff as people being rough, but my left thumb stick now has two small splits in the rubber. The rubber is clearly breaking down about fifty times as fast as it should.

I always wash my hands before playing and I've only really had about a fortnight in the PS4: clearly there's a problem with the rubber they're using for the sticks. I've been using dual shocks since the PS2 and never had anything like this (even my Logitech wireless was fine after a shitload of hours). My DS3 got so much use that one of my left sticks got worn down on the top so that it had an entirely different shape and texture and got a bit loose... but was still fine.

There is clearly a serious flaw with the DS4 and Sony needs to get on top of this shit.

Can you spot the differences?

Now the ds4 looks much better.

Though there is a problem. The ds4's thumbsticks have a larger base (diameter wise). Both are equally thick, so the travel distance between center and left/right wherever is the same. But because of the larger base of the ds4's thumbsticks, when you fit this to the right thumbstick on the xbone controller, it will travel less, because it will hit the controller's pcb. The left sick is fine though.

Anyway, here it is.

Sephzilla

Has anyone attempted to return one of these controllers to Gamestop? Seems Amazon is replacing them, just curious if Gamestop is going to do the same.

Those things look like a bag of dicks though. I want nice concave sticks without stupid asymmetrical logos.

good thing you don't look underneath your thumbs while you're playing a fucking videogame.

seriously, Grip-IT is winning on my DS4. It actually has more grip than the original after a little breaking in, and it feels good. And as an added benefit, my sticks will never go to shit whether they're defective or not. But YMMV, as with all things.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Grip-its sucked for me. They were the opposite of grippy. If you get any moisture at all on them they become worse grip-wise.

Sony just needs to redesign so that the sticks are concave and not this halfsies

So it has finally happend on BOTH my DS4 controllers, the rubber on the left stick has cracked and has a huge gaping hole in it. Played with it since the launch of PS4 in Europe.

I am very careful when playing and this is a production error!

Are sony replacing these controllers?

FrankWza

good thing you don't look underneath your thumbs while you're playing a fucking videogame.

seriously, Grip-IT is winning on my DS4. It actually has more grip than the original after a little breaking in, and it feels good. And as an added benefit, my sticks will never go to shit whether they're defective or not. But YMMV, as with all things.

they will. its just going to take a bit longer. but there is still friction from the grip-it on the original grip.

dc89

My left stick hasn't split or flaking but I've noticed the texture is wearing really quickly in comparison to my DS3 which has been a trooper for many years.

It's just starting to get a shiny, smoother finish on the edge of the stick.

:(

methane47

I have 2 DS4's and I've played my PS4 for hours and hours and hours and hours. Controllers were perfect.

My brother played my PS4 for like 4 hours on Xmas, When i took the controller there were cuts and scrapes and the rubber was worn out on the left stick.

I took my controllers and stored them at night. My brother woke me up in the morning and asked me where the controllers were. I told him, when i got up i realized he was playing with the "good" controller.

He played for 10 hours or so yesterday.

Got my controller back and the analog stick had cuts and scratches and the rubber was worn out on the left stick.

Dammit.

Crawl

The rubber was wearing off on my sticks so i sent amazon CS a msg and ended up getting an $80 credit to get a new dual shock 4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
God only knows what some people do with their Dualshock 4. I've been playing constantly and it's still as good as new. I had a friend who destroyed two Dualshock 3 controllers (totally lost the rubber) and could never fathom why, until I watched him play. When he was nervous or excited I noticed he'd constantly pick at the top with his nail.

FrankWza

God only knows what some people do with their Dualshock 4. I've been playing constantly and it's still as good as new. I had a friend who destroyed two Dualshock 3 controllers (totally lost the rubber) and could never fathom why, until I watched him play. When he was nervous or excited I noticed he'd constantly pick at the top with his nail.

just remember to quote yourself when you come back with a DS4 peel issue.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
I see a good deal of complaints regarding this issue (enough to be valid), but is anyone actually reporting this to the proper channels for investigation? Sure, many are complaining here, but does Sony even know how big of an issue this potentially is? Are any of the Sony insiders on this forum escalating this to their contacts within Sony? Seems kind of pointless to just complain on forums and continue sending defective controllers in for inevitably defective replacements.

Bundy

Banned
I see a good deal of complaints regarding this issue (enough to be valid), but is anyone actually reporting this to the proper channels for investigation? Sure, many are complaining here, but does Sony even know how big of an issue this potentially is? Are any of the Sony insiders on this forum escalating this to their contacts within Sony? Seems kind of pointless to just complain on forums and continue sending defective controllers in for inevitably defective replacements.
No, because it isn't a "big issue".
A few people on a few message boards aren't "a huge issue".

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
No, because it isn't a "big issue".
A few people on a few message boards aren't "a huge issue".

At a Best Buy near my place, they have a PS4 kiosk, and the rubber was torn to shreds on the thumbsticks. That, in combination with a 34+ page discussion, seems to suggest its more than a small issue. I know we love to give Sony a pass because of all the goodwill they've displayed since the reveal in February, but things like this may be a QA issue, and our relative silence on the matter won't benefit those affected.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

If enough controllers are exchanged, eventually someone's at Sony is gonna notice.

And yeah, it's an issue... my sticks have lost all the grippy texture and all that's left is smooth, slick rubber that makes precise movements impossible.

Prine

Banned
At the demo station yesterday, thumbs on both pads had eroded rubber covering. Didnt think too much about this issue until i saw this. Ill be picking up ps4 when uncharted is released, hope this os sorted by then

Chabbles

My DS3's left thumb stick has started to "degrade". And theres a little tear in the rubber, which i can only see getting worse.. Shocking how little time iv spent playing since the EU launch... Iv put 2 hours into BF4 each day for the last week, that seems to have done it.

How could sony make such a design flaw ?, might be worth investing in some sort of covers/protectors for the thumbsticks. Or maybe sony should be sending free replacements out to whoever applys for a set.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The rubber was wearing off on my sticks so i sent amazon CS a msg and ended up getting an $80 credit to get a new dual shock 4.

You can get credit even if it wasn't a separate purchase and came with your console?

Ugh...stupid thread continuing to make me paranoid.

Riggs

Banned
Both controllers left thumb stick started to degrade, the rubber actually split and was coming right off. I paid $80 for a warranty at best buy, they told me I could replace even my controllers for being janky, any number of times in the 2 years.

The guy replaced both controllers but told me next time I may have to contact Sony, Best Buy is fucking tripping if they think I am calling sony. I paid $80 for a 2 year warranty that I was told would cover any of my controllers or console for 2 years, specifically even if my controller was just janky and I wanted another. Fuck I hate Best Buy.

turnbuckle

My L1 button is sticking a bit. Only thing a played was resogun before I tried a few seconds of backlight and trine 2. Didn't really notice it until I bought that pinball game where it looks like I'm stuck using l1 and r1 for the flippers. Not happy right now. I'll have to check my left thumb stick later tonight

TEH-CJ

Banned
God damn it! just 2 weeks in and my DS4 thumbsticks are completely fucked!

I wash my hands before I play and I take extra care when I handle the controller but the rubber is deteriorating at a fast rate.

I have called EB games and they refuse to do anything about it.

kwiklot

Banned
One of my controllers is doing this also but one of them is not they both get the same amount of use, I would be willing to bet the controller that came with the system is the offender, anyone with similar experiences and a little more anal about controllers?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I've had my controller since the release of the console in europe and I played a lot i still don't see any problem and even worse one of my friends who ius missing one arm play with his mouth tongue and teeth and he playsa lot and even he doesn't have this problem

Took my peeling controller that came with my system in to Gamestop today with the receipt and was able to get them to exchange it for a sealed Dualshock 4. The clerk said that if it happens again to call Sony. He did not seem aware of the issue prior to me coming in.

Top Bottom