• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Moozo

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the other problems with the left stick apart from the peeling.

L3 is not working properly with my controller. Sprinting, for example, in FPS games is becoming more and more difficult. And sometimes when just trying to walk forward in Destiny it will stutter and stop.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this OR whether anyone technically-minded knows if just replacing the stick would fix the issue.

H1PSTER

It's totally fine now.

... Was an absolute pain to get into though.

xDqQZRY.jpg

Audible

Banned
My sticks are still in good shape, but I think my R2 trigger is starting to give out or Destiny has a glitch with my super slow HMG

Hazaku

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the other problems with the left stick apart from the peeling.

L3 is not working properly with my controller. Sprinting, for example, in FPS games is becoming more and more difficult. And sometimes when just trying to walk forward in Destiny it will stutter and stop.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this OR whether anyone technically-minded knows if just replacing the stick would fix the issue.

Sounds like stick drift/a worn out thumb stick (the internal/mechanical part).

It would probably be easier to just replace the controller (unless you don't mind soldering). I'd also suggest having a controller purely for shooters ... I just went through a mini hiatus with the 360 as all of my controllers for it had worn out left sticks from so much sprinting in CoD.

Advanced Warfare is going to wear out sticks even faster with its jumping/dash mechanics...

did you read my reply on the last page?

IMACOMPUTA

Both of my controllers were completely fine with no signs of wear at all.
A friend came over with FIFA and 2 controllers. His were trashed. The left sticks were ripped big time.
4 of us played FIFA and after 2 matches my sticks were damaged. Lol.

I ordered xbone sticks and it literally took 5 minutes to swap them in. It was absolutely simple.
I love them. They feel great
img_20140915_143131noi9j5p.jpg

Sorry, forgot I'd posted about it before. Seen it now. Looks like I might have to buy a new one. I'm assuming the coloured ones are better?

i think even the old builds are fine. apart from the rubber tearing, this specific problem seems to be very rare.

call Sony for a replacement

tbm24

My controller started doing this over this past weekend. Was happily playing Diablo 3 during the week then Destiny launches. I play Destiny for the week then go back to Diablo on Saturday and notice it's hard to run straight, character just stutters or turns to the right without explanation. I'm going to have to get it replaced as well as likely buy a new one. Was bad enough that FIFA binges caused my thumbstick to wear down absurdly quickly, but I didn't expect the thumbstick to malfunction. It's been years since a controller has failed on me.

Modded my ds4 with Xbox One sticks. Feels soooooo good. Picked up a brand new ds4 just in case I broke the other controller in the process. So now I have a back up controller. Will probably mod that one as well at some point.
Where did you buy the sticks? We're they authentic? Can you send a link?

So people who got the white ps4 controllers and played a shit load of destiny etc. How do they hold up? Does the rubber on the sticks definitely feel improved? Thinking about getting a white dualshock 4 sometime soon.

-Cwalat-

Talked with Playstation support and they are well aware of the issue with the plastic coming off from the thumb sticks.

He talked about them having made new DS4s with improved materials so that the issue won't arise again. Said they had already begun exchanging the old ones with these.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
L3 is hard to press on both of my white controllers. Retail and one included in the box. They have different fcc id's or whatever.

Am dissapoint

Moozo

i think even the old builds are fine. apart from the rubber tearing, this specific problem seems to be very rare.

call Sony for a replacement

I'd get Sony to replace it but I've heard it's more like weeks than days and I don't really want to leave my Fireteam hanging

I use my Dualshocks HEAVILY. It's weird, but the one I use the most, with like 21 days of Call of Duty, plus whatever I've been doing on Minecraft and Destiny, I broke the spring mechanism in my right trigger. I removed the spring, and now it's just a sensitive trigger.

On the one my KIDS use, not nearly as much, the grips at the bottoms of both thumbsticks are completely coming off. It doesn't effect my gameplay at all, but it is disappointing...

Doombear

I use my Dualshocks HEAVILY. It's weird, but the one I use the most, with like 21 days of Call of Duty, plus whatever I've been doing on Minecraft and Destiny, I broke the spring mechanism in my right trigger. I removed the spring, and now it's just a sensitive trigger.

On the one my KIDS use, not nearly as much, the grips at the bottoms of both thumbsticks are completely coming off. It doesn't effect my gameplay at all, but it is disappointing...

My R2 just had the same thing happen. I haven't taken it apart to know if it is the spring or the right pin (if you are look at the controller from the uh... back, towards the light bar). I considered adding my own pin, but I am just sending it to Sony, and relegating myself to Remote Play until it returns =(

benjammin

Both of my controllers were completely fine with no signs of wear at all.
A friend came over with FIFA and 2 controllers. His were trashed. The left sticks were ripped big time.
4 of us played FIFA and after 2 matches my sticks were damaged. Lol.

I ordered xbone sticks and it literally took 5 minutes to swap them in. It was absolutely simple.
I love them. They feel great
img_20140915_143131noi9j5p.jpg

Is there a how to for swapping them? The left stick on one of my launch controllers just started tearing, and I think I'd rather swap them with new sticks than worry about Sony's getting messed up again.

Phear

On both of my launch controllers the sticks have lost their grip through some heavy Towerfall, Velocity and Destiny. On one stick the rubber did even peel of. Ordered Xbox One Sticks from Amazon.com (i'm from Germany, Amazon.de didn't have any in black) and have to wait another 5-15 days... c'moooon, i can't wait!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got a response from GAME on this. Sounds promising - just depends how much of a dick the manager is feeling on the day I take them back..

I can confirm that our faulty Returns Policy states that if any piece of hardware develops a manufacturing fault within a reasonable period of time we will offer to replace the item.

We feel that a twelve month period from the purchase date is a reasonable period of time for hardware to last without experiencing a manufacturer’s fault. If a piece of hardware develops a manufacturing fault outside of the twelve month warranty period GAME recommends that you contact the manufacturers as there may be something they can do to help.

Unfortunately we would not look to exchange, replace or refund any item that has been damaged accidentally.

CLEEK

The sticks on my launch DS4 don't show any sign of wear. But I find the tops of the sticks too flat and narrow. So when I push up on them, I'm pushing against the edge of the stick, rather than having my thumb comfortably placed in the middle.

I bought a few stick covers from eBay to see if they helped, and it makes a world of difference. Sessions on the DS4 used to dig into my thumbs, now I have no discomfort at all.

Surprisingly, the cheapest ones fitted the DS4 perfectly and were most comfortable:

gdQ0ork.jpg

The Orbs were good, but unlike the above, the covers aren't a completely snug fit on the DS4. They felt really good when playing Destiny, but I could feel a slight wiggle when I played PES demo:

JLaI951.jpg

The final ones were poor. They're too flimsy and don't fit the DS very well at all. They wiggle about and come off easily:

G3o9qVF.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAME were surprisingly helpful. They replaced both my launch DS4s without fuss, even though my receipt was from a different store. They just took two boxed DS4s off the shelf, unpacked them and gave them to me - they used the boxes to put the damaged ones in to send back to Sony. Seemed like they knew the drill and have seen tons of these.

My white DS4 was also not working properly - some of the buttons wouldn't respond and you'd have to turn it off and on again constantly. They didn't have any in stock but ordered one from the web to deliver to my house.

well done GAME.

Marvel

could never
So my launch pad has finally gotten this issue, a tear in my left stick. Now using one orb thumb grip to deal with it.

Waiting for the right stick to fail now lol.

My launch controller got a small scuff within weeks of getting the PS4 last Nov, but nothing happened with it and it didn't get any worse.

Now my left stick has ripped, finally, just a little over a week ago.
A good 1/3 of the plastic rim underneath is protruding out now.

Can't really complain I guess, as the controller has had many hundreds of hours of use.
My teenage son has logged countless hours of FFXIV using it.

FeiRR

Banned
I also have a problem with the left analog on my launch black controller. I tested it with PC too, definitely a mechanical problem. Called Sony yesterday, it's getting picked up by a courier on Tuesday. I hope I'll get a replacement. Not the kind of quality I expect from Sony.

I also would like to know this, but also include the Geltabz. So Orv vs Grip-iT vs Geltabz, anyone have any thoughts?

I've used the Grip-its and GelTabz. Both give good grip, but the Grip-its' material is slightly better. The GelTabz are topped with a smooth silicone(-like material?) with small nubs, and because that material is spongey, pressing L3 and R3 is slightly more annoying. (Especially with how wonky sprinting [L3] is in Destiny already...)

Regarding the colored controllers being better: Sadly, the thumbsticks seem to be wearing down and smoothing out rather quickly on our new blue controller, too. No signs of peeling or tearing, though.
Edit: This blue controller was bought about a month ago.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Think destiny finally did it. No tears in the rubber but the center of my left thumbstick is definitely worn out compared to the right. So much so that the surface feels like there is no grip. Kind of like Imy left thumb is greasy and my right is clean.

Guess I should get some covers

Freak

Regarding the colored controllers being better: Sadly, the thumbsticks seem to be wearing down and smoothing out rather quickly on our new blue controller, too. No signs of peeling or tearing, though.

I can concur, my blue DS4 that was bought on launch week has started showing wear and tear :(
Photo%2028-09-2014%2009%2007%2003.jpg

The sticks on my launch DS4 don't show any sign of wear. But I find the tops of the sticks too flat and narrow. So when I push up on them, I'm pushing against the edge of the stick, rather than having my thumb comfortably placed in the middle.

I bought a few stick covers from eBay to see if they helped, and it makes a world of difference. Sessions on the DS4 used to dig into my thumbs, now I have no discomfort at all.

Yeah, it was like that for me too, using the left stick especially felt a bit uncomfortable and after longer sessions of TLOU RE multiplayer my thumb would hurt slightly, so i adapted to it by pushing against the edge of the stick. It's been fine though since i've started using convex stick covers.

Surprisingly, the cheapest ones fitted the DS4 perfectly and were most comfortable:

gdQ0ork.jpg

Could you give me a link to the seller you got these from? I got Orb covers a few weeks ago and i'm very happy with them, but i might try out these for comparison once i get a second DS4.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the name is in the pic, heh.

RedAssedApe

Banned

this. it doesn't feel right and is part of the reason the grip sucks so bad on them. even worse once the centers get worn out and the stick loses its tackiness. i hate stick sprinting on the ds4. thumb feels uncomfortable, like you're always on the edge and barely holding on. thumbs get fatigued much quicker on on FPSes and i end up having to lift my thumb to re-adjust back to center thereby breaking the sprint often at the worst times. especially annoying on games like destiny and bf4 where you've gotta sprint long distances across the map and that speed is super important to get you around.

tried some grip-its but these had terrible grip when my thumbs got sweaty. worse than stock. going to try the concave kontrol freeks cqcs next. hopefully the height of the sticks aren't too bad and it makes the sticks more like the 360.

It happened to me as well. If I didn't have three controllers I'd be fucked. I have send this shit back to sony. I just started using this one when Destiny came out.

Just thought I'd join in and say my one controller has peeling despite my initial thought people were more rough than me with their controllers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It happened to me as well. If I didn't have three controllers I'd be fucked. I have send this shit back to sony. I just started using this one when Destiny came out.

someone else mentioned this possibly being a destiny issue? general movement with the stick is just fine for me but l3 sprinting seems hit or mess. personally i think its just due to the design of the sticks themselves. sometimes its hard to tell if you've actually got l3 pressed down. also i'm always fighting to keep my thumb from slipping off the edge due to lack of grip...resulting in thumb fatigue and readjusting which sometimes means i probably don't have l3 pressed all the way down anymore.

so that probably contributes to l3 feeling inconsistent for me

LAM09

This ain't an issue to do with the analogy sticks, but a DS4 issue. It seems like certain areas of the touchpad aren't working. Is there any way to fix this issue?

Edit: Fixed it.

Have we had any reports from people using the new white DS4? I've been tempted to pick one up but I want some evidence Sony has corrected this issue.

Cyborg

Have we had any reports from people using the new white DS4? I've been tempted to pick one up but I want some evidence Sony has corrected this issue.

I want to know this to. I have a black and a blue controller (from launch) and both left sticks have issues.

I bought recently a blue one and a white one.
The stick on the white one is different, feels more like the old dualshock. (harder and more textured)
The blue one is same as launch controller.

Top Bottom