• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Gusto

I had 3 controllers go bad. I sent one to Sony and dem motherfuckers made me pay shipping and it took 3 weeks. So I just purchased some Xbox one sticks from eBay for less then the shipping cost and they're much better quality then Sony's.

Yoday

That's what I've been trying to find out. I assume and hope that they are since that video was posted back in early August.
They are. I got my new blue controller from Amazon and it is the revision. Right now I think the colored controllers are the only way to really make sure you get a revision because a lot of stores are still running through stock of the originals.

I've been keeping an eye on the sticks since I got the controller to see if they really are fixed. When I first got the controller the rubber was definitely harder than the launch controllers, and not just because they were new. They felt completely different. After many hours with Diablo 3 and Destiny the sticks don't feel quite a rough or hard as when I first got the controller, but they seem to be holding up pretty well and the texturing itself doesn't seem to be showing any signs of wear. I am still starting to get that tacky feeling from the sticks while playing, but to a lesser extent than the older model. I get the feeling that the rubber they are using somehow reacts to the oils of the skin and causes the sticks to get that almost sticky feeling and causes the rubber to break down. Again, these new sticks aren't as tacky feeling, but it is still there a little bit. I would say that so far the rubber on these revised sticks feels closer to what was used on the DS3.

In the back of my mind I can't help but get the feeling that this is all just a placebo effect and the rubber hasn't changed at all. Time will tell.

ChrisW

How are you guys getting yours replaced, I was on hold to Sony for 30 minutes the other day when I'd had enough.

I sent them an email to their support address, but that's all I can think of to do?

Bought one from a pawn shop and the sticks feel great to me. I was pretty worried about this, I bought it to use with my pc and it will be getting heavy use. Maybe I got one of the new ones?

drotahorror

Get the new PS4 SKU with 1 Tera HDD, it will be with it surely.

I'll pass. Another shitty 5400rpm slow ass hard drive more than likely. No thanks.

When it's slow next year I'll definitely get a better hard drive. Probably go with one of those Crucial m100's. 512gb SSD for $200.

The ps4 sticks do feel better now but, the xbone's sticks are 100% better.

Yep indeed!

he mentions it has a more matte finish but I'm pretty sure thats just from his sweaty hands turning his old controller glossy

But at least it has better battery.

The PS4 needs really a betetr controller, ok the controlelr has MORE features, bu they didn't ameliorate the old features enough, in fact many are even a downgrade (the old battery life and the old thumb sticks). Sony needs also to release beauties like these:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...itanfall-wireless-controller#fbid=l9b2byjvelJ (that I got for my birthday)

and the upcoming one which is beautiful and filled with easter eggs (the console too has the same design): http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...ller/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-controller

Booki

So I got my DS4 controller replaced today.

All I did was walk into EBgames here in Aus with my receipt and they happily swapped it over for a new one.
I used that controller until the rubber was pretty much going to fall off. The new controllers sticks feel harder than the last ones. Lets hope they hold up.

Crossing my fingers. I've had mine since launch day and the sticks are perfect.

I think you are safe, the faulty controllers show signs quite fast. the thumb will sometimes even become black from the worn out rubber on the analog sticks. the rubber is very soft on the faulty controllers.

My white one feels like the rubber is much harder and more resilient. Also makes it feel a bit more slippery though

The overall build quality of the white controller is a nice step up from the launch batch.

I did, however, still place my thumb grips of choice over the sticks because I prefer the greater sense of control and precision that they add.

Has anyone had an intermittent problem where the left stick input 'stutters' when you push forward? Anyone know an easy fix?

I noticed it months ago but yesterday playing Destiny i was getting spanked and sure enough my character would walk or run forward and sometime just stop and twitch, i'd recentre the stick and all would be fine again. It seems fine in the XMB but i don't know why.
I'm using my second DS4 but i hate the thought of having to buy another DS4 with a nearly perfect controller just sat here :(

I had some of the rubber on the left stick form rolls and fall off but i use the GripIts now and they're fine... i'm still bunk at controller FPS though :(

Just how widespead is this problem? It's happened to every single PS4 controller I have come across. 3 of my mates - ruined, the ones in my local snooker club - ruined, and all the demo stations I've seen in shops - ruined.

Obviously my own findings are purely anecdotal but this certainly seems to be fairly widespread and not just a few freak cases.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I thought I was safe.

My launch DS4 has started showing signs, damn you Diablo 3!

ibfPC2NDPNqXCl.jpg

Moozo

Has anyone had an intermittent problem where the left stick input 'stutters' when you push forward? Anyone know an easy fix?

I noticed it months ago but yesterday playing Destiny i was getting spanked and sure enough my character would walk or run forward and sometime just stop and twitch, i'd recentre the stick and all would be fine again. It seems fine in the XMB but i don't know why.
I'm using my second DS4 but i hate the thought of having to buy another DS4 with a nearly perfect controller just sat here :(

I had some of the rubber on the left stick form rolls and fall off but i use the GripIts now and they're fine... i'm still bunk at controller FPS though :(

This happens to me on TLOU. Wasn't sure if it was the game or my controller

j3ff3

Banned
on the 360 all of my/my friends pads have done this.

exclusively on fifa and nothing else. honestly, i never had the problem, lent my pad to the 'fifa house' (so to speak), within three days the rubber was coming off. every pad in their house has no rubber on the sticks - something i'd not seen before. picked up fifa on my pc. within the week another pad started losing the rubber.

i'd be interested to know how many of you play fifa on the ps4.........

kingwingin

But at least it has better battery.

The PS4 needs really a betetr controller, ok the controlelr has MORE features, bu they didn't ameliorate the old features enough, in fact many are even a downgrade (the old battery life and the old thumb sticks). Sony needs also to release beauties like these:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...itanfall-wireless-controller#fbid=l9b2byjvelJ (that I got for my birthday)

and the upcoming one which is beautiful and filled with easter eggs (the console too has the same design): http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...ller/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-controller

I wish they made these controllers for user friendly in terms of repairs and mods. Just put a little door on the back so I can slap a new battery in.

I am so jealous of your titanfall controller. Sold out everywhere! Sony should definitely start making custon controllers like that
I would totally buy an order 1886 themed one

I wish they made these controllers for user friendly in terms of repairs and mods. Just put a little door on the back so I can slap a new battery in.

I am so jealous of your titanfall controller. Sold out everywhere! Sony should definitely start making custon controllers like that
I would totally buy an order 1886 themed one

yep I wanted the PS4 controller to have changebale batteries like with the XBone controller in case they wear off and you don't have to chnage the entire controller for that (well you have to chnage it anyway if the sticks wear off). Yep The order 1886 theme would be great on the DS4.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
My second DS4 is falling apart now from just Diablo and Destiny. How can we guarantee we're buying the newer models? Are all of the color variants new?

ironcreed

Banned
I just got my PS4 the other day and the controller feels nice and solid. But I'll probably go ahead and get some of those grips to pop on the sticks just to be safe.

juicyfrys

Yup my PS4 controller that came with the system has that issue. I just sent it back to Sony the other day to get it replaced.

moai

This happened to my launch controller, only solution is to the send it for a replacement, but its not possible for me because its an import ps4.
What a waste.

aceface

I had to return my DS4 to sony for a different problem (R2 trigger broke and started sticking) but at least they are quick in getting them back. Dropped it in the mail USPS priority on a Friday afternoon and the new controller was delivered to my house one week later on Friday morning.

antitrop

Add me to the list of fucked thumbsticks.

Diablo III did most of the dirty work and constantly pushing the left stick in to sprint in Destiny finished it off.

What a piece of shit controller, I've only had it for less than 6 months.

Get the Gel Tabz. Two pairs for $6.

Bought. I was thinking about buying XBone sticks off eBay and replacing them, but I'm too lazy for that.

v1perz53

Just had this happen to my DS4 that came with my PS4 I just bought this past June. Had to pay shipping, but just sent it in, hopefully a reasonable turnaround time. Not a big deal to me because I almost always play alone after my brother left for school, but I have an extra controller so I can keep playing. What is odd though is the DS4 I bought for use with PC and PS3 before PS4 was even out is showing no signs of wear at all on the sticks, and that has seen far more use than the one I just got 3 months ago. Oh well, hope they get back to me quickly.

This happens to me on TLOU. Wasn't sure if it was the game or my controller

I wasn't either but my second pad is fine in game so it must be the first pad.

Yup my PS4 controller that came with the system has that issue. I just sent it back to Sony the other day to get it replaced.

This happened to my launch controller, only solution is to the send it for a replacement, but its not possible for me because its an import ps4.
What a waste.

Ahhh, bugger. I will contact Sony and see if the pad is still under warranty, it's a launch unit. I was hoping it might be something i could fix by opening it up though. Thanks for the replies all.

Moozo

I wasn't either but my second pad is fine in game so it must be the first pad.

Ahhh, bugger. I will contact Sony and see if the pad is still under warranty, it's a launch unit. I was hoping it might be something i could fix by opening it up though. Thanks for the replies all.

Let me know how it goes, might end up doing the same.

I think I had the same problem with my left stick. another gaffer suggested I test it out in the PS4 browser and sure enough the problem was very easy to see. left stick manipulation resulted in a up-left movement. and the opposite for the right direction

test it in the browser. open up a page and push forward on the stick, you'll probably see the cursor stutter/stop

I had to replace the controller because that would be a problem I wouldn't be able to fix without soldering and getting a new analog box.

sku_107130_1.jpg

tanuki

I finally got around to replacing the analog sticks on my PS4 launch controller. Tried those cover grips for a while, they weren't doing it for me.

Bought a couple of pairs of PS4 analog sticks on eBay from this guy. Followed a couple of youtube tutorials... took about 15 minutes to replace them, (the hardest part was putting the springs back on the triggers when they popped off... make sure you have tweezers when you do it!)

The eBay sticks seems like they're better than Sony's... I have a second controller I bought recently and the Ebay sticks seem to be made of a tougher rubber than those. I will report back if I have any issues with the eBay ones.

btw guys i dont know if this was asked before but is there a way to know that if a brand new ds4 either has the old plastic or the new, sturdier one on the thumbsticks? a serial number or something like that i should look for for example?

Sizzle55

So I got my DS4 controller replaced today.

All I did was walk into EBgames here in Aus with my receipt and they happily swapped it over for a new one.
I used that controller until the rubber was pretty much going to fall off. The new controllers sticks feel harder than the last ones. Lets hope they hold up.
Cool! Might have to do this, My sticks began to peel months ago but haven't deteriorated too much, but now I think the rumble may be dying as well. I bought one from EB as well so I better find that receipt.

Kydd BlaZe

Modded my ds4 with Xbox One sticks. Feels soooooo good. Picked up a brand new ds4 just in case I broke the other controller in the process. So now I have a back up controller. Will probably mod that one as well at some point.

Pimpbaa

R2 trigger on my controller started sticking last night.

I guess, send back to sony for a replacement? It basically makes FFXIV unplayable. :(

I know I am replying to an old post but this is caused by one of the plastic hinges on the trigger button breaking. It's always the side with the spring attached and it makes the trigger push against the side and thus sticking. This can be somewhat fixed by taking out the broken piece and spring and just letting the trigger rest on the rubber piece it pushes. The downside is the trigger has very little resistance and is very sensitive (you can't rest your fingers on it). A real fix would be finding a replacement trigger. This could have been already covered in this thread but it just happened to me last night while playing Destiny and it seems to be a common problem. To people who don't have broken triggers, go easy on them because they are only resting on a small plastic hinge.

edit: Oh and the rubber on my analog sticks are holding up just fine almost 1 year later lol. I'm surprised that thumbsticks are a bigger problem than the right trigger breaking considering how popular FPSs are.

Wil348

I got myself some ORB grips and they handle like a dream. Much easier to hold the sticks now, and I don't have to worry about them tearing.

angrygnat

How are you guys getting yours replaced, I was on hold to Sony for 30 minutes the other day when I'd had enough.

I sent them an email to their support address, but that's all I can think of to do?

I'll tell you what I did and the entire process took about 15-20 minutes. Get on live chat. They will give you all the information you need to return your old controller. You do have to pay shipping though. After I thought about it I looked up some thumb stick grippys and they ended up being cheaper than sending in the old controllers. Rather than screwing around and paying to ship two controllers, I paid 5 bucks and got the stick grippys and they have worked excellent. Jel gripz or something.

Top Bottom