• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

sector4

So my launch sticks have finally given in. Could someone point me in the right direction for some replacement sticks that are OEM or as close to as possible? Thanks in advance :)

III-V

Both of my launch controller are now broken. Each one has the thumbstick plague, one simply will not charge, and the other the L3 only works sometimes.

Anyone have luck getting an exchange this far out?

I have tried resetting the controller, but it only blinks orange, and thats about it.

Exact same issue with my DS4 controller. Rubber on the left stick is tearing along the bottom left part, inside the circle.

Not the end of the world, but slightly annoying.

JP

Wasn't sure which thread to use as there are quite a few almost covering what I'm interested in.

Have two customised launch DS4s and just got a new DS4 today but I'm not really wanting to open them up and customise them again so I'm looking into external modifications for the controller. Am I correct in thinking that Kontrol Freek is the preferred method of doing that on here?

I'm asking as they're quite a bit more expensive than the standard rubber thumb stick covers and I have no issues with spending that money on them but I don't want to spend it on something that I don't think is worth the price in the end.

EDIT:
It looks like Argos sell Kontrol Freeks stuff in the UK which makes them half the price they used to be. Ordered a pair of Alphas to test the quality and will go for a longer right stick if I like them.

JP

My Kontrol Freek Alphas turned up today, got the black ones for my white DS4 and really tempted to get some more now. Really surprised by how much the change the feel of the controller.

Kontrol Freek Alpha PS4 Unboxing - Not my video but it shows you what you get with these.

Impulsor

So is this problem still prevalent? I have two controllers, one of them about to break down because of an unfortunate accident and was thinking about getting a new one but still afraid of this.

Both of my controllers wear stick protectors,since they did show signs of wear and peeling off when they did not. I'd really like to have the controller naked, with no protectors.

So is this problem still prevalent? I have two controllers, one of them about to break down because of an unfortunate accident and was thinking about getting a new one but still afraid of this.

Both of my controllers wear stick protectors,since they did show signs of wear and peeling off when they did not. I'd really like to have the controller naked, with no protectors.

order some Xbox One sticks off of ebay. I've been using them for awhile now and they are great.

KevinG

I was wondering the same thing today. The left thumbtack on my launch controller is wearing down pretty badly, and I might have 100 hours of use on it. Not a whole lot for it to be in the shape that it is.

Was looking at the 20th Anniversary controller, but don't want to buy another one if this issue persists.

knerl

My left thumbstick while pushing it in any other direction than right makes it pretty much impossible to click/press down. In it's neutral state it works just fine. The right thumbstick button works great while pushing it in all directions. This is potentially a big issue in games that utilize the button on the left stick while in motion.

Take it back for replacement or is there an easy fix?
I've barely used it I might add.

Kyonashi

What's the best process for replacement in the UK? Is it possible to send them to Sony, or easy enough to open up myself? I don't want to fuck up my only controller but my sticks are shredded.

SAiLO

Rubber on two DS4 left thumbsticks I had from launch wore off but sony replaced them with new units under warranty.

LAM09

What's the best process for replacement in the UK? Is it possible to send them to Sony, or easy enough to open up myself? I don't want to fuck up my only controller but my sticks are shredded.

If they're still in warranty, Sony will offer you a replacement for free if you call them up.

Keihart

So it finally happened to one of my sticks, it's either the one packed in or the extra one i bought on launch, the other two i have are perfectly fine. The same one that has the thumbstick rubber problem has the R2 getting stuckj. The other 2 that see the same use are like new.
The white one i bought later defenitly has different stick's material, so there was a problem with some of the old versions.

wrens

Neo Member
Neither the controller that came with the system I bought last July or the one I got about two months later have displayed any problems so far. Fingers crossed that maintains...

Hostile_18

Banned
My two launch controllers have both started ripping on the left hand anologue stick. Few days after me and the guys were playing Rocket League. After two years and both at once leads me to believe it is something related to how people play and or their sweat (lol). Still shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Controllers arnt cheap either at £50 a pop.

I'm not trivializing this issue or pretending that it doesn't exist, because I know it does and it is on Sony.

However, just out of curiosity: How much do you use these controllers and how hard were you on them before this happened?

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm not trivializing this issue or pretending that it doesn't exist, because I know it does and it is on Sony.

However, just out of curiosity: How much do you use these controllers and how hard were you on them before this happened?

I used the machine a lot over the two years (though not extreme levels). I think the rubber had got a lot smoother (thinner). Can't say how the other guys used them but it will not have been anything excessive.

Ultimately I haven't used this console any different than I have the Dreamcast, N64, Mega drive, PS 1 and 2 etc and I've never had to replace a controller. I was lucky in a sense that it lasted two years I guess as one of my friends ps4's lasted all of a month before the rubber was completely gone.

These arnt cheap to buy either and should be made with the build quality to accommodate all kind of users, ages etc.

gafneo

Banned
Wow, same thing happened to me. I never had problems with thumb sticks falling apart until I used the ps4's controller. I miss the ds3's material. Wonder why they messed with it.

gafneo

Banned

I had this happen to me within the first few months of owning the console. I messed them up while casually playing shooters.

Footos22

gGXa5dN.jpg

I just use these all the time anyway. Even on xbox one. Hate the feel of naked sticks. That and you avoid shit like dirty/torn sticks and easier to clean.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow, same thing happened to me. I never had problems with thumb sticks falling apart until I used the ps4's controller. I miss the ds3's material. Wonder why they messed with it.

the sticks have changed since launch. they are a harder material and seem much more durable now. unfortunately it seems to be at the expense of a slight downgrade in grip and comfort (imo)

Left thumbsticks peeled off two DS4's.

Had since launch, never ate when played, looked after, rotated one DS4 with the other, only MP really played was TLOUR.

Also had an issue with one DS4 on TLOUR where the walking would keep stuttering by stop and starting.

Anyway, replaced with Xbox One sticks and reset the stuttering DS4 and all is well (so not sure if the stuttering was the old analogue stick or the reset sorted it).

The Xbox One sticks are ok (still getting used to) but think I prefer the 360 sticks (after recently playing FO3 on the 360).

Will have to check if the 360 sticks will work and I may swap them.

What is annoying with this whole DS4 quality though is the total 'silence' from Sony. Very poor showing and I knew this generation they were going to nickel and dime us (after being the total opposite for the ps3). Mind you, I can stomach it a little if it means they are still in Games...

I used the machine a lot over the two years (though not extreme levels). I think the rubber had got a lot smoother (thinner). Can't say how the other guys used them but it will not have been anything excessive.

Ultimately I haven't used this console any different than I have the Dreamcast, N64, Mega drive, PS 1 and 2 etc and I've never had to replace a controller. I was lucky in a sense that it lasted two years I guess as one of my friends ps4's lasted all of a month before the rubber was completely gone.

These arnt cheap to buy either and should be made with the build quality to accommodate all kind of users, ages etc.

Interesting, and I don't disagree. You nailed it on the head with the final sentence in your reply.

Sorry you're having these issues, because I know full well how expensive they can be. I have a somewhat annoying, non-sexual controller fetish, which makes me want to buy every new variant that's released, be it the CoD controller with the orange sticks or the Halo Xbox One pad. Even the ugly Vader one a bit.

I don't need them, and they're $74.99 plus tax here, so about $85 total. I don't drink or buy many games, nor do I smoke, so it's like my vice, but it's dumb.

I had this happen to me within the first few months of owning the console. I messed them up while casually playing shooters.

Interesting. That's different from above given the timeframe. It's weird how people are having different experiences. We can't sweat that much differently.

I just use my console casually, so I wondered if that's one reason why I've never seen it. But I've been to tons of events where I've also never seen it. Granted, they likely wouldn't put damaged controllers out and all controllers put out at events may well be brand new.

What is annoying with this whole DS4 quality though is the total 'silence' from Sony. Very poor showing and I knew this generation they were going to nickel and dime us (after being the total opposite for the ps3). Mind you, I can stomach it a little if it means they are still in Games...

I don't like the DS3's rubber as much. The sticks feel kind of cheap to me, and the material is kind of weird. But I guess there's no doubting that it's better.

What you said is true, though: Sony's silence is alarming.

drotahorror

I've had 2 controllers since launch. The launch one, and a white one I bought in march 2015. Both thumbsticks on both controllers feel the same (smooth, no grip anymore) but neither have started to peel. Both controllers combined have had thousands of hours of usage I'd say. A couple of my family members who are fairly casual have peeling sticks.

I guess one thing that I do that I don't have in common with them is that I bite my nails. I wonder if that may have something to do with it? My nails never hit the sticks at all, don't know about others of course, since my nails aren't long at all.

Noticed the rubber of the sticks in the pictures is a lot smoother than the sticks on my 1TB PS4 bundle's controller that I got last week. Did the sticks on more recent controllers recieve a redesign lately? My sticks have got a rough, textured look to them.

Or is that just what happens to the sticks eventually anyway? They just go smooth then wear away?

I've had 2 controllers since launch. The launch one, and a white one I bought in march 2015. Both thumbsticks on both controllers feel the same (smooth, no grip anymore) but neither have started to peel. Both controllers combined have had thousands of hours of usage I'd say. A couple of my family members who are fairly casual have peeling sticks.

I guess one thing that I do that I don't have in common with them is that I bite my nails. I wonder if that may have something to do with it? My nails never hit the sticks at all, don't know about others of course, since my nails aren't long at all.

My nails don't touch, either, and I've never had this issue. But I remember people saying that their nails didn't and they still had it. At least IIRC.

I'm really easy on my controllers and treat them like gold, though.

Noticed the rubber of the sticks in the pictures is a lot smoother than the sticks on my 1TB PS4 bundle's controller that I got last week. Did the sticks on more recent controllers recieve a redesign lately? My sticks have got a rough, textured look to them.

Or is that just what happens to the sticks eventually anyway? They just go smooth then wear away?

They did change the joysticks' material. The controller I'm using now -- after selling a black one I got six months into the console's lifecycle as a replacement for a stuck L1 button controller -- is just 3-4 months old and the sticks feel differently.

When I attended an event recently, they had older controllers out and they felt different from what I'd become used to.

Baleoce

Walked into my local GAME store today and overheard some guy purchasing a PS4 bundle at the counter. Employee tried to convince him to buy financial cover because of the thumbsticks.

I got a grey anniversary control which has been fine exempt the O and X buttons are a bit mushy. Used a pick to try to clear out anything that might have gotten into the gap between the button and the controller and that made it a little better and less sticky but its not where it needs to be.

Ordered a set of XB1 sticks that I will pop into my launch controller though. The rubber hasn't not ripped but its gotten super smooth and slippery. If I am ok with replacing those sticks I will then open up my newer grey controller and see if I can fix whatever is making the buttons mushy.

Or maybe I could take the internals from my launch controller and the battery from my new controller and put them in the grey PS1 style DS4 and have a frankincontroller.

Walked into my local GAME store today and overheard some guy purchasing a PS4 bundle at the counter. Employee tried to convince him to buy financial cover because of the thumbsticks.

lol. Any reason to upsell I guess.

Top Bottom