• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Was browsing the PS4 subreddit and some guy was talking about his DS4 thumb sticks falling apart. He even included a picture:

v4u7k9l.jpg

Add onto that, here's a video from the official PS mag which talks about the issue.

Have any GAFers experienced this?

Link to the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1q66h4/the_sticks_on_the_ps4_controller_ive_had_for_2/

EDIT:

Some GAFers are reporting seeing similar issues at kiosks, and msdstc shared this picture of his remote:

msdstc said:

Is it considered successful FUD if I had a bad dream last night that my DS4 was falling apart?

Hahaha, true story.

I wanted to say this is nonsense (and I think that DS4 was clearly not handled right) but I've used my DS4 exclusively for a couple weeks now (racking up 32 hours in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 over the past few days in particular) and just noticed that their is some light peeling of the rubber on the left side of the left analogue stick, almost like a little piece of sunburn.

BNuX9kn.jpg

:/

Peeled it off and I'm hoping that's the end of it.

Methinks Sony might be replacing that rubber in their next batch.

Kane1345

Something like this was posted a while back and the topic was closed. I think it's because he posted a pic of a DS4 from a trade show and people had just messed it up.

I have used mine so far about 20 or so hours and have not had any issues. Will keep updated if anything changes. Have also seen these reports myself.

Oh? Well I guess this guy has been using it regularly though.

that's not "regular use", there's clearly a chunk missing from the L stick.

This is the 4th dualshock, not the first. Sony using some kind of mystery plastic for the sticks that degrades in 2 weeks isn't plausible.

Alx

Well from my experience the material of the stick is indeed soft and rubbery. The one I used on a demo booth was dented (only the left one though), which is not too surprising for something that has been used by many people in a public area.
I don't think it would be a major problem for your own controllers, provided you know it and take care of them.

SILV3R_

I think it's a user problem. Just look at the dust or ash or what ever that small particles are on the DS4.

that's not "regular use", there's clearly a chunk missing from the L stick.

This is the 4th dualshock, not the first. Sony using some kind of mystery plastic for the sticks that degrades in 2 weeks isn't plausible.

That's the problem, presumably :p

And I agree, if it's true, it'd be very strange.

Whools

Unless more people start reporting this problem, He must have either used it non stop or it was faulty, especially with such a serious degradation other people would have complained by now. I'm going to say it's possible he did it on purpose for the attention/upvotes

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We had the very same thread which was changed about a week ago.

Not sure how people are handling their controllers these days.

nib95

Banned
Could be a problem, but I'm sure warranties and such will cover the rare instances these things do occur.

To people calling it dirty and dusty. Go and take a close up photo of your controller, using a flash.

Trust me. You'll be shocked at how much dust and shit is on it. Despite looking fine to the naked eye.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dunno. They look discolored, like its a porous plastic absorbing skin oils or something. Gross. Wash your hands before you use the console!

Also I've been to kiosks where I'm pretty sure people have bitten the sticks.

Still, have any gaffers that have DS4s seen anything?

Someone ask him for a picture of his nails.

EDIT: sorry for this but, after seeing the pic above this post, first thing that popped in my head was how does this guy wipe his arse?!

Zakalwe

Banned
It looks like is his controller covered in flakes of skin... if he's not even wiping that stuff off, is he really looking after it?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
To people calling it dirty and dusty. Go and take a close up photo of your controller, using a flash.

Trust me. You'll be shocked at how much dust and shit is on it. Despite looking fine to the naked eye.

I actually clean my controllers every now and then thank you very much

lefantome

The one I used was a bit deteriorated on the thumbsticks but the rest of the pad seemed new.

I think that the gum is too soft.

I hope this will be the next RROD scandal for this gen. It's a lot easier and cheapier to change some thumbsticks than repairing a 400$ console

Probably the work of the Xbox Mafia who have fanned out into the world with steel wool to scour down every DualShock 4 they can find at a demo station.

UrbanRats

My 360 controller looked something like that (although maybe not that bad) after about 5 years of use (both on 360 AND pc).

Hex

Banned
We have people that have played on these at kiosks and not only that, at events where they have been played over days by hundreds if not thousands of players who are not exactly gentle and this is the only reference to this that anyone has seen.
While not saying that it did not happen, calling it an issue with the controllers is a bit of a stretch.

Care to explain further? What about the new design makes this possible?

I think he means that there is now a ridge that can wear out. The old DS3 sticks had rounded edges.

I'll chalk it up to someone just being too rough. Some people are just like that with pads. A bit heavy-handed.

DemonNite

I dunno. They look discolored, like its a porous plastic absorbing skin oils or something. Gross. Wash your hands before you use the console!

Also I've been to kiosks where I'm pretty sure people have bitten the sticks.

Still, have any gaffers that have DS4s seen anything?

No problems here on the few that are around here. We don't eat our controllers though

Top Bottom