• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
That's why you never buy a new console on launch day.

You wait.

eznark

Banned
Been using the DS4 quite a bit and haven't seen any signs of wear and tear on the thumbsticks.

Y2Kev might be right, especially looking at that controller. It looks like whoever is using it sweats castor oil.

MilkBeard

Looks like the DS4 uses a very similar surface material for the thumbsticks as the DS3. I have a hard time believing this issue to be genuine. If so it might just be a defect in his controller. Notice that it's only the left stick that is worn. Seriously, that stick looks like it has had years upon years of rough usage. Highly suspect, imo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What the flying fuck?

No. I have been using my DS4 vigorously and it looks nothing like that.

Amen. I've been through enough generations to see a pattern.

Over the next month or two, we are going to be seeing so many people complaining about tech issues with these new consoles.

I dunno, I love the rush and I think the 360 just gave launches a bad name.

Bought launch Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3 and they lasted a long ass time. I sold the Dreamcast in 2002, the PS2 was heavily damaged in a hot car after a week of cooking (and still worked for another year in 2004), and the 60 GB PS3 was sold to GameStop after showing signs of failure last year.

MDlz5q3.jpg

ymmv

Banned
Looks like the DS4 uses a very similar surface material for the thumbsticks as the DS3. I have a hard time believing this issue to be genuine. If so it might just be a defect in his controller. Notice that it's only the left stick that is worn. Seriously, that stick looks like it has had years upon years of rough usage. Highly suspect, imo.

You're right. The DS4 is highly suspicious. Lots of people have commented about this controller's shady behavior.

Sethos

Banned
Even with the cheapest of plastic that shit doesn't happen unless you do it on purpose or use it for 6 months+

Ashadur

Neo Member
The left thumb-stick looks like its been scratched. Feels fishy to me, hopefully its not a fault and if it is, GAME you are gonna see me in a few weeks exchanging those controllers for new ones.

I hope it's not true. If it is, it would likely be a short-term problem and also covered under warranty.

RROD this is not (again, if even true).

Liamario

Banned
The left thumb-stick looks like its been scratched. Feels fishy to me, hopefully its not a fault and if it is, GAME you are gonna see me in a few weeks exchanging those controllers for new ones.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Why the hell would the stick be scratched?! It honestly looks like he was using his nail to scratch the edge off.

Also, there appears to be zero wear on the right stick.

Robbok

I dunno, I love the rush and I think the 360 just gave launches a bad name.

Bought launch Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3 and they lasted a long ass time. I sold the Dreamcast in 2002, the PS2 was heavily damaged in a hot car after a week of cooking (and still worked for another year in 2004), and the 60 GB PS3 was sold to GameStop after showing signs of failure last year.
0kr9pb0j7w.gif

...thats why i don´t buy used Tech stuff. :(

Felsparrow

Neo Member
With the softness of the tip plastic they use, I can see someone with an exceptionally heavy touch that uses a lot of thumb surface area wearing it down like fine grit sandpaper, just from pressure and the grit of your fingerprint.

We'll have to see how bad it is, and yes, if it is widespread from normal use then Sony will have to do something like produce replacement pads or free repairs.

Either way, not too concerned.

I would kind of rather have these excellent and grippy soft plastic stick pads and risk extra wear, than to go back to crappy old PS3 plastic pads.

Sethos

Banned
Could be a bad batch?

Maybe but you heard the same stuff with the PS3 controller and the 360 controller. Despite having 9 Xbox 360 controllers and 3 PS3 controllers and using them for a long time, I've never seen them get even close to the stuff you see people posting. Now I just automatically assume people abuse the shit out their controller or work with battery acid but forget to wash their hands.

EDIT: As mentioned below, picture in OP actually looks like it has been sanded down.

Yeah, when you sand off the rubber that tends to happen. Nice sanding scuffs on the left and mint condition rubber on the right.

Durante

I wouldn't be surprised if it was less resilient than the DS2/DS3, that design outlasts every other thumbstick I've tried (including 360 pads) by years.

SHADES

Was browsing the PS4 subreddit and some guy was talking about his DS4 thumb sticks falling apart. He even included a picture:

v4u7k9l.jpg

Add onto that, here's a video from the official PS mag which talks about the issue.

Have any GAFers experienced this?

Link to the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1q66h4/the_sticks_on_the_ps4_controller_ive_had_for_2/

After paying £115 for a scuf animal (360) only to have the thumbs sticks wear like this I'm fully converted to Kontrolfreaks now so personally this won't be a problem for me.

ced

I hate when things like are posted here.

If there is an issue you will know it when there is more than one sketchy looking case.

Top Bottom