• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

jett

D-Member
So one guy busts his controller and somehow that means the entire allotment of millions is defective? Nice!

Reading the OP really is beyond the capabilities of 99% of this forum. A dude from PS Mag said he had experienced the same thing in three controllers. I doubt a Playstation outlet is going to make negative shit up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hate when things like are posted here.

If there is an issue you will know it when there is more than one sketchy looking case.

It's like the last week slander campaign type stuff. Better find anything bad about PS4 now!

It's possible, but I've been using mine for about two weeks now and haven't had any issues at all. Not even the slightest bit of wear. Thinking about it, i'm not even sure how you get that level wear, maybe rubbing it back and forth on the ground or something. But if that is supposedly from normal use, I think your thumb would be in worse shape than that.

It could be faulty batch or it could be him getting mad an slammin the controller. Who here hasnt slammed one after gettin fustrated in a game.

PaulLFC

The left stick is covered in scratch marks, looks like it was deliberately damaged to me.
Yeah, whether this is an issue or not, why would there be scratches all over the thumbstick? Doesn't seem like it'd help keep the controller from getting damaged:

jbsKnZklbXXmJG.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Reading the OP really is beyond the capabilities of 99% of this forum. A dude from PS Mag said he had experienced the same thing in three controllers. I doubt a Playstation outlet is going to make negative shit up.
I agree. and it's concerning.

But it really does look like sandpaper was taken to it...how do your scratch the thumb stick like that?

Reading the OP? That was never said in the OP. He linked to a 13 minute long video, I'm assuming that is where your getting that quote, but watching a 13 minute long video is not the same as reading the OP, especially since it wasn't even clear what the video was from the link.

0kr9pb0j7w.gif

...thats why i don´t buy used Tech stuff. :(

Have I done the same with trade-in cars at the used car lot? You betcha.

One difference being I disclosed that the drive was significantly louder than it was in the past, but he just wanted to know if it had physical problems/issues with games/ever been dropped - and it technically worked fine at the time. More than I would ever do at the ol' dealership.

I don't get why people are bothered by this.

xbox-one-controller-stress-testing.jpg

They have machines that mimic years of abuse in a very short amount of time and I'm pretty sure they would have picked up on rubber wearing out quickly.

Scuff marks and manky controller I call shenanigans.

nikos

That left stick it's significantly more worn out than the right. Doesn't look like normal wear and tear, and almost looks as if it was done on purpose. Maybe a pet got to it?

On another note, that guy is filthy. How do you let your controller get that dirty? Doesn't look like he takes care of his stuff.

Midas

They have machines that mimic years of abuse in a very short amount of time and I'm pretty sure they would have picked up on rubber wearing out quickly.

That's Microsoft though. ;)

But Sony should've done this as well. Really weird situation. Hopefully we won't see any more of this, it would be bad for everyone if it'll be a widespread issue come launch.

b0neshank

Banned
I will admit my must have some abrasive ass thumbs because I have wore through probably 3 different 360 controller thumb sticks.

eoa-swam

My 7yr old XBOX 360 controller doesn't even look that damaged. Looks to me like someone has purposely sanded / scratched away at those sticks to cause some controversy.

UrbanRats

Here is the exact moment in the video when the PS Mag folks mention running into a few controllers with issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsSKZfCKxXA&feature=youtu.be&t=5m45s

The "COD player" argument doesn't convince me.

Unless you've got acid in you hands, a tight grip shouldn't justify a thumbstick getting disintegrated in days of demoing.

Again, i used my 360 controller A LOT both on 360 and PC, and to start feeling the hard plastic beneath it (you can see it in the DS4 image) it took more than 5 years.

EDIT: Also, i always wash my hand before using any gaming device, i hate squishy controllers.

So it seems with those vertical lines someone was rubbing there nail back and forth causing this to happen. I don't use my nails when using the thumbsticks, so this seems a bit odd as seeing the lines in different vertical directions.

Like when you take a papercup and use your nails to make marks on the cup it would be comsistent with these marks.

I've had a controller do the same thing. I honestly can't remember which console it was, but one of the sticks would leave a ring of powder behind if I let it touch the ridges.

Read everything just fine thanks, and watched the video.

The other guy he is with quickly states he has had his controller for 30+ hours straight playing with absolutely no issues.

Also, the GameStop down the road has had their controller out being played with by kids and such for a long time, no issues.

Remember how some people have that weird melting issue with DS3 nubs? While everyone else has never seen it heard if the issue before in their life? Despite owning many many controllers this gen?

It's gotta be a regional thing where the humidity/temp reacts with the users skin oils. I'd be interested in knowing if this person had issues with DS3 as well.

Warablo

Hand oils brah

I've had a controller do the same thing. I honestly can't remember which console it was, but one of the sticks would leave a ring of powder behind if I let it touch the ridges.

N64 stick? that was prone to powder after some use.

How soft is the new rubber on a DS4? makes me think maybe that it's a little too soft for some people's thumb actions.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I had a similar problem with the DS4 I picked up a week ago. Less than an hour into Call of Duty, my dog had already torn a chunk out of the right analog stick. We weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, just regular usage. Also, while the new rubber on the front feels really nice, it comes off very easily when chewed upon.

Very disappointed with this shoddy build quality. Canceled my preorder.

My guess is that something on his fingers reacted with the rubber which softened it . Most likely eating something greasy ...

Getting some oil on that rubber and continued use would make mush of that .

Eat - Wash - Play

PBY

Banned
Are people not watching the vid? Shit has me slightly concerned, mostly bc this isn't the kind of thing that's instantly notable at launch/reviews.

I had a similar problem with the DS4 I picked up a week ago. Less than an hour into Call of Duty, my dog had already torn a chunk out of the right analog stick. We weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, just regular usage. Also, while the new rubber on the front feels really nice, it comes off very easily when chewed upon.

Very disappointed with this shoddy build quality. Canceled my preorder.

lulz

N64 had the powder.

In retrospect, that one for sure. I think I had a dual joystick controller that did it too, but I'm starting to question of it was 1st party or 3rd party. I think it was my First party PS2 controller, but I don't have it around me to verify.

angrygnat

Stranger things have happened I guess, but I doubt Sony has forgotten the lessons learned from nearly 20 years of controller design. I chalk this up to an isolated incident rather than a prevailing trend.

Are people not watching the vid? Shit has me slightly concerned, mostly bc this isn't the kind of thing that's instantly notable at launch/reviews.

sure dude.

Yeah, whether this is an issue or not, why would there be scratches all over the thumbstick? Doesn't seem like it'd help keep the controller from getting damaged:

jbsKnZklbXXmJG.png

I'd tend to agree, you'd think if this was epidemic, we'd have more than a single suspect image on the OP.

hate to add fuel to the fire, but I noticed that my gamestops demo unit had a chunk taken out of the left analog stick as well....and when I played the PS4 the rubber on the sticks does seem softer and less durable than the rubber on the old DS3.

This could be a problem

Manbig

I played about an hour of KOF XIII Steam Edition with the controller, and I had this issue. I was using the analog stick because the pad wasn't doing the best job of registering my inputs. By the time I was done, I noticed quite a bit of little flakes that came off of the analog stick. It hasn't lost it's shape or anything crazy like that, but it has lost a bit of it's grip.

PBY

Banned
I played about an hour of KOF XIII Steam Edition with the controller, and I had this issue. I was using the analog stick because the pad wasn't doing the best job of registering my inputs. By the time I was done, I noticed quite a bit of little flakes that came off of the analog stick. It hasn't lost it's shape or anything crazy like that, but it has lost a bit of it's grip.
What.

I don't believe this is true. And even if it is, my preorders not gonna change or anything. But that sucks.

To add even more fuel to the fire, Yoshida mentioned Sony using another type of plastic for the ds4 analog sticks, as a solution to that oily ps3 sticks issue. Is it happening??

daveo42

Banned
Could be a bad batch?

Some of the more recent comments that have popped up seem to scream this. Are devs still under NDAs for most of the console stuff till launch?

It's possible that there was a flaw in either the process or plastic that could cause some thumbsticks to flake out prematurely. I've yet to have any issues with my controller, though I haven't used it all that much since I got it.

Warablo

Is he a xenomorph or something with acid on his hands?

I have fairly greasy hands even though I wash regularly and my controllers never end up like that especially not after literally 2 weeks.

My Razer Onza did this in less than a month. Otherwise I've had no other problems.

Top Bottom