• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maybe a bad batch? I'm not ruling out issues yet, but I've been playing with mine pretty frequently and it looks just like the day I bought it.

Took a picture of mine to put some of this to bed

kWrhl7w.jpg

- Everybody saying "eww it's gross, it's cigarette ashes, it's dusty, etc." I'll echo what others have said in this very thread. Take a high res photo with the flash and you'll be shocked to find what it looks like. My controller has the very same white dust sprinkled on it.

Why does it look like the corner of the controller is cracked?

nVs28d4.jpg

Anyway, it's clear that the cheetos dust and skin flakes caused a chemical reaction with the rubber on the sticks. Lesson- don't eat cheetos before using your controller.

- No those lines are not "cracks" or even worse "pubes" as it's been said multiple times in the thread. Those lines just under the analog are PART OF THE CONTROLLER. Notice in this shot you can see those lines, they are on both sides. People keep sayin "lol it's got cracks in it, lol it's got hair on it, lol it's got pubes on it." Nope just part of the controller.

- Why is everyone just laughing this off and not even considering it in the realm of possibility? We have multiple sources now claiming this very issue, there's two right in the OP. There are multiple people in this thread who have come out about kiosk controllers being like this, people who went to pax prime experienced the same problem.

although it was a pretty risky move, i took my DS4 out of the box yesterday and jabbed one of the stick nubs with my thumbnail... JUST to see if it's as weak as these people claim.

not a scratch on it. i know that's not 100% proof but if i TRIED to cut it with my thumbnail and it didn't, then i don't know how someone that's only had it for a week or so could demolish theirs.

it HAS to be related to that melting DS3 nub thing. i'm on #TEAMSKINOILS

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
although it was a pretty risky move, i took my DS4 out of the box yesterday and jabbed one of the stick nubs with my thumbnail... JUST to see if it's as weak as these people claim.

not a scratch on it. i know that's not 100% proof but if i TRIED to cut it with my thumbnail and it didn't, then i don't know how someone that's only had it for a week or so could demolish theirs.

it HAS to be related to that melting DS3 nub thing. i'm on #TEAMSKINOILS

It's not from a jab, it's from friction, you can see the outline of where his thumb was, and the he probably went in a circular sort of motion from there. If you put your thumb on one of the analogs and simulate a twin stick shooter, or even fifa where he says the damage was done, you can feel the friction.

- Everybody saying "eww it's gross, it's cigarette ashes, it's dusty, etc." I'll echo what others have said in this very thread. Take a high res photo with the flash and you'll be shocked to find what it looks like. My controller has the very same white dust sprinkled on it.

- No those lines are not "cracks" or even worse "pubes" as it's been said multiple times in the thread. Those lines just under the analog are PART OF THE CONTROLLER. Notice in this shot you can see those lines, they are on both sides. People keep sayin "lol it's got cracks in it, lol it's got hair on it, lol it's got pubes on it." Nope just part of the controller.

- Why is everyone just laughing this off and not even considering it in the realm of possibility? We have multiple sources now claiming this very issue, there's two right in the OP. There are multiple people in this thread who have come out about kiosk controllers being like this, people who went to pax prime experienced the same problem.

Dude, I am not saying you are spreading fud, but you are way too into this.

ibo8HEKTirKg3u.png

We will find out soon enough if it is really an issue, and if it is then yes people should speak up about it. Game developers have said this is a total non issue though, so maybe it won't be that big of a deal after all.

Looking at comparisons photos of the two console's controllers the XB1 thumb sticks do look a fair bit more solid, looks to be made out of a couple types of hard plastic. Where as the PS4 looks to be similar to the PS3's softer material. Maybe the softer material doesn't hold up as well in the new concave design. I'm sure if this is a problem they'll fix it in the second batch of controllers, me thinks I'll wait till after launch to get a second one.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm pretty sure I see pubes near each stick.

Dude, I am not saying you are spreading fud, but you are way too into this.

ibo8HEKTirKg3u.png

We will find out soon enough if it is really an issue, and if it is then yes people should speak up about it. Game developers have said this is a total non issue though, so maybe it won't be that big of a deal after all.

I was the same way with the mp3 issue. Why laugh it off and ignore it if it's an issue? The responses in here are ridiculous on so many different levels.

- It's cracked and has pubes on it! - Debunked it's a seam

- Probably a fluke- Debunked, happened in that youtube link in the op, at multiple kiosks, and at pax prime

- He's playing wrong!? - Ridiculous, I'm sure he's played games before and never had this issue, why would he have to play differently now? Sony shouldn't have made it fragile int he first place.

Go ahead and check my post history, I'm a sony fanboy, I try to be objective as much as I can and try to embrace these issues so they can be fixed and we move on from them. if everybody just said "lol mp3" then sony wouldn't have listened and brought it back and on a bigger level the same thing with "lol DRM"... those campaigns were successful, they really do seem to accept the feedback, and the sooner it's recognized the better.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, I've said in here I'll gladly eat crow if it turns out wrong, but blind fanboyism like the responses in here are counter-intuitive, and I believe a lot of these people making jokes, will be reporting back with this issue. Even if it's only 15% of the people, that's too big of a number, especially when most people didn't have issues with their DS3 before.

It's not from a jab, it's from friction, you can see the outline of where his thumb was, and the he probably went in a circular sort of motion from there. If you put your thumb on one of the analogs and simulate a twin stick shooter, or even fifa where he says the damage was done, you can feel the friction.

im talking about the cuts that look like someone dug their nails into it.

and by jab i meant more of a making contact with my nail and pushing down hard with the intent of cutting/slicing into the rubber. since it failed to do so i called it a jab.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
im talking about the cuts that look like someone dug their nails into it.

and by jab i meant more of a making contact with my nail and pushing down hard with the intent of cutting/slicing into the rubber. since it failed to do so i called it a jab.

But I don't believe that is what that is, and even if it was it happened over the course of 2 weeks not one quick jab. Do what I did, tell me if I'm wrong. I spun the stick in a circular motion, applied minor friction and you could already see it being smoothed off. This does not happen on the DS3.

kWrhl7w.jpg

What is this picture supposed to show? The entire thread is about the DS4 thumb sticks, show that from the same view as the other pick.

Your DS4 thumb sticks look perfectly fine from that angle.

Nothing to back up these comments.

msdstc said:
I'll say it again, read my posts above. I can confirm, at least from the little I did, these WILL wear down fast.

That's fine, I'm not trying to spread FUD, I'm a big sony fan here, but this could be a serious issue.

The rubber is far lower quality.

This is what I'm talking about. Games where you are often rotating the sticks will cause some friction and wear VERY fast on the analogs. I have no idea how sony missed this. I'm trying not to overreact, but I've been saying the last few pages if you just go and try it on YOUR OWN controller, you will quickly see, this is more than likely going to be a widespread problem that sony will have to address.

It's the lighting making it look worse, the white debris is the rubber after burning away, it appeared on mine after some light friction as well.

I've already confirmed through my own DS4 that with minor friction it starts to wear away at the rubber.

my controller had some serious wear and tear after a few simple motions with a little extra force.

But I don't believe that is what that is, and even if it was it happened over the course of 2 weeks not one quick jab. Do what I did, tell me if I'm wrong. I spun the stick in a circular motion, applied minor friction and you could already see it being smoothed off. This does not happen on the DS3.

All controllers that I have ever owned do this. Post a picture of your PS3 controller.

What do you want? Sony to recall all DS4 units, because you rubbed your thumb on the stick and think it might be a problem?

I still do not even understand what we are discussing here. Is it the actual rubber on top of the tumb stick or the plastic column itself which rubs against the controller frame. If it is the former his picture does not show an issue, if it is the latter then all I have to say is every controller I have ever owned has this happen. Plastic rubbing against plastic is going to cause wear.

I was the same way with the mp3 issue. Why laugh it off and ignore it if it's an issue? The responses in here are ridiculous on so many different levels.

- It's cracked and has pubes on it! - Debunked it's a seam

- Probably a fluke- Debunked, happened in that youtube link in the op, at multiple kiosks, and at pax prime

- He's playing wrong!? - Ridiculous, I'm sure he's played games before and never had this issue, why would he have to play differently now? Sony shouldn't have made it fragile int he first place.

Go ahead and check my post history, I'm a sony fanboy, I try to be objective as much as I can and try to embrace these issues so they can be fixed and we move on from them. if everybody just said "lol mp3" then sony wouldn't have listened and brought it back and on a bigger level the same thing with "lol DRM"... those campaigns were successful, they really do seem to accept the feedback, and the sooner it's recognized the better.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, I've said in here I'll gladly eat crow if it turns out wrong, but blind fanboyism like the responses in here are counter-intuitive, and I believe a lot of these people making jokes, will be reporting back with this issue. Even if it's only 15% of the people, that's too big of a number, especially when most people didn't have issues with their DS3 before.

I am not saying you are spreading fud or not a Sony "fanboy", as I already said. I am just saying you are getting a little "screaming in the streets" about this. lol. No need to take it personally, but you have been posting much more than anyone else in this thread and really there is nothing to argue about with you. If it is an issue it is an issue, but until release, and maybe not even until a few months after release it will be hard to know. What do you want? Sony to recall all DS4 units, because you rubbed your thumb on the stick and think it might be a problem?

That's my point, too few people have one in their hands, therefore, it is hard to determine if it is a problem or not. If it is then it most definitely should be called out, just like the MP3 and DLNA thing was rightfully called out.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I am not saying you are spreading fud or not a Sony "fanboy", as I already said. I am just saying you are getting a little "screaming in the streets" about this. lol. No need to take it personally, but you have been posting much more than anyone else in this thread and really there is nothing to argue about with you. If it is an issue it is an issue, but until release, and maybe not even until a few months after release it will be hard to know. What do you want? Sony to recall all DS4 units, because you rubbed your thumb on the stick and think it might be a problem?

That's my point, too few people have one in their hands, therefore, it is hard to determine if it is a problem or not. If it is then it most definitely should be called out, just like the MP3 and DLNA thing was rightfully called out.

So why laugh about it? It's the responses that are pissing me off. I first came in the thread and had questions myself, but I didn't just laugh it off. I went and checked my own controller that I spent 60 dollars on, to make sure it would hold up over a few years.

edit- Also I'm not saying it IS an issue for sure, I'm saying there's a good chance it could be, so why don't we stop spreading paranoid console war crap like "he sandpapered it" or "he took a knife to it"

What is this picture supposed to show? The entire thread is about the DS4 thumb sticks, show that from the same view as the other pick.

All controllers that I have ever owned do this. Post a picture of your PS3 controller.

You missed the point of the picture? Really? The point was to show that this is what a controller looks like up close, and to debunk the whole "ewww it's pubes!?!? OMG it's cracked!?!?" I also never said my controller tore through, I said the stick has worn down and you can it after just a few moments of light friction. Extrapolate this over 2 weeks and it will easily burn through the top, it's common sense. Posting pictures of my controllers in a minute, gotta upload and resize.

edit- also your controllers show wear after 2 weeks of playing? Really!?

Everyday after school I swing past the mall where a ps4 is set up. That ds4 has been to hell and back with all the usage and the sticks seem fine to me.

So why laugh about it? It's the responses that are pissing me off. I first came in the thread and had questions myself, but I didn't just laugh it off. I went and checked my own controller that I spent 60 dollars on, to make sure it would hold up over a few years.

You missed the point of the picture? Really? The point was to show that this is what a controller looks like up close, and to debunk the whole "ewww it's pubes!?!? OMG it's cracked!?!?" I also never said my controller tore through, I said the stick has worn down and you can it after just a few moments of light friction. Extrapolate this over 2 weeks and it will easily burn through the top, it's common sense. Posting pictures of my controllers in a minute, gotta upload and resize.

Alright man, guess I will find out for myself, as will others. If it is an issue, then it will be brought up and dealt with then.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Here's your picture.

3Ka04XU.jpg

I don't know the exact date, but I bought a DS3 to replace my Sixaxis, and I also upgraded to the ps3 slim... haven't needed a new controller since, so it's been years and these have tons of use. Take really good care of my stuff, keep all the boxes, have screen protectors on my vita. All of this being said, just minor use on the DS4 and I started to see some wear. I can see it getting really bad on competitive games like the one he mentioned Fifa amongst friends, or more importantly for me KZ SF.

edit- looking at those pictures sticks look great to me. Also you quoted me saying the rubber is much lower quality, which isn't what I was going for. What I meant to say is it's less durable and it's obvious if you stress test both controllers. The ps4 has MUCH more grip which at first is really nice, however it causes more friction. The DS3 has a different texture, is a lot less grippy, but the level of friction is almost none existent in comparison.

lol @ all the 'disgusting controller' nonsense. Oh shit a little dust and skin oil how gross

take a close up fuckin flash photo of the keyboard that you are using and then lol at what you considered disgusting two minutes before when you weren't thinking, unless you're too busy riding the OCD GAF vomit wave

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lol @ all the 'disgusting controller' nonsense. Oh shit a little dust and skin oil how gross

take a close up fuckin flash photo of the keyboard that you are using and then lol at what you considered disgusting two minutes before when you weren't thinking, unless you're too busy riding the OCD GAF vomit wave

Thank you. While I consider myself extra careful with all my stuff, I do understand that gamers can be some pretty nasty people. A lot of my friends drink a ton of soda. Hell for PS4 weekend we plan on ordering a ton of greasy ass food and playing a shit load of KZ:SF. I've done this stuff before and never had an issue, why should it be an issue now?

Duxxy3

I did that once before to show a comparison of keycap wear...

I deleted the picture immediately and will NEVER do that again. Keyboards are the dirtiest item in our homes.

cackhyena

Been using mind the past week with The Last of Us. No sign of wear. Even dug my nail into the sticks...or tried to on several occasions trying to see if there was any kind of wear. None. I don't get what could cause that wear.

Not trying to be rude but it is like you are trying to obfuscate the issue entirely.

The top of the thumb sticks do not show use after two weeks. The column that rubs against the controller frame does. Plastic on plastic will show wear.

I requested a picture of your PS4 controller from a top view, not an angle. Cause this thread is about the rubber on the top of the thumb stick, is it not?

You posted a picture of the DS4 from an angle, to say 'look you see that thumb stick column? It has wear'.

I then requested a comparison to your DS3 controller so it could be compared to the 'wear' that you are stating is on the DS4. You posted a top down view...making it impossible to compare the two.

To clear this up.

DS4=Angle shot
DS3=Top down

What are we supposed to be comparing here, you cannot with the pictures you have posted.

Again you stated:

msdstc said:
...my controller has some serious wear and tear after a few simple motions with a little extra force.

I'm concluding by the picture that you are posted that you are referring to the thumb stick column and NOT the top of the thumb stick (which is what this thread is all about).

ALL controllers will have that wear on the column, plastic rubbing against plastic.

I totally understand what msdftc is saying. Not trying to blow things out of proportion, but I think too many people aren't acknowledging what could be a potential problem. The controller itself looks awesome, but if there IS an issue, we should definitely do more than make 50 "lol sandpaper" posts.

I totally understand what msdftc is saying. Not trying to blow things out of proportion, but I think too many people aren't acknowledging what could be a potential problem. The controller itself looks awesome, but if there IS an issue, we should definitely do more than make 50 "lol sandpaper" posts.

Maybe you can clarify it then.

He is showing an image of a completely separate issue. The thread is about the top of the thumb stick, yes? He is showing an image concerning the column which rubs against the frame of the controller. Yes?

madblazer

Neo Member
Haven't had any probs with the sticks but the 1st DS4 i got the R1 button stuck. Gamestop gave me a new one all good so far, just handling it haven't really played any games yet.

He is showing an image of a completely separate issue. The thread is about the top of the thumb stick, yes? He is showing an image concerning the column which rubs against the frame of the controller. Yes?

I assumed he posted that picture to prove that shit looks dirty under a flash-lit photo. He talks about that right underneath the picture. There have been a couple posts of people calling this guy a slob and irresponsible with his stuff (which is completely possible).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not trying to be rude but it is like you are trying to obfuscate the issue entirely.

The top of the thumb sticks do not show use after two weeks. The column that rubs against the controller frame does. Plastic on plastic will show wear.

I requested a picture of your PS4 controller from a top view, not an angle. Cause this thread is about the rubber on the top of the thumb stick, is it not?

You posted a picture of the DS4 from an angle, to say 'look you see that thumb stick column? It has wear'.

I then requested a comparison to your DS3 controller so it could be compared to the 'wear' that you are stating is on the DS4. You posted a top down view...making it impossible to compare the two.

To clear this up.

DS4=Angle shot
DS3=Top down

What are we supposed to be comparing here, you cannot with the pictures you have posted.

Again you stated:

I'm concluding by the picture that you are posted that you are referring to the thumb stick column and NOT the top of the thumb stick (which is what this thread is all about).

ALL controllers will have that wear on the column, plastic rubbing against plastic.

What the hell? Read my post again, I put the points underneath that this particular photo showed. It shows that a picture up close will show dust and make a controller look messy, I showed that the seam is not a "pube" or a "crack" in the controller. I was posting that photo not to show anything with the thumbstick. I would've taken a top down angle of it, but even if I did people will say "meh looks fine to me"

If you don't see the spot where the controller has cleared been smoothed off from where his thumb rested, then that's fine, I see it, you don't period. The guy didn't take a piece of sand paper to his controller. There is NO NEED to. If you're so confident, then pick up your damn controller and rub your finger with some friction. I know this isn't necessarily a common motion used in gaming, but it never had the effect on any other controller I've used, that it has on this one, period. I believe this issue will crop up. It may be 75% of the controllers, it maybe 10%. But I think a ton of people are going to be reporting in with this issue.

I understand that at kiosks the controllers aren't treated well, but the majority of the time, the controllers, while worn, aren't ripped like that. The kiosks have only been out for a few weeks now, and there are already multiple reports- from the video in the OP, from multiple events including E3 and Pax Prime, from kiosks at stores, and from this user on reddit. Believe what you want, call me a fanboy that's fine, ignore the issue maybe it won't happen. I'm hoping it doesn't.

edit-

LOL you have horrible reading comprehension.

"Took a picture of mine to put some of this to bed

- Why is everyone just laughing this off and not even considering it in the realm of possibility? We have multiple sources now claiming this very issue, there's two right in the OP. There are multiple people in this thread who have come out about kiosk controllers being like this, people who went to pax prime experienced the same problem."

The point of the picture was to point the BS smear points to bed including- the guy is a slob, it has a crack in it, he's the only one, etc etc. Maybe the guy is these things, but I would wager after my own experience with my own controller that he's telling the truth. Nobody has reported back to me after rubbing into their analog stick themselves.

edit edit- it was taken at that angle specifically to show this guy didn't crack his controller or just sprinkle his pubes all over it. Somebody up there circled the damn photo in MS paint as if analyzing the photo and says LOOK A PUBE! LOOK A CRACK! It's part of the controller... that's embarrasing.

I use those FPS Freek clip-on controller stick extenders on my Sixaxis and 360 controllers. Are the PS4 and XB1 stick tips the same size as the previous versions?

I also understand what msdstc is saying. I originally bought the Freeks because the rubber coating of my 360 controllers was wearing off because of how my daughter handled them. Some people aren't going to experience this problem, and others might. It's not a "canceling preorder" issue, but it's not FUD being spread to counter-balance bad news for the XB1.

prwxv3

What the hell? Read my post again, I put the points underneath that this particular photo showed. It shows that a picture up close will show dust and make a controller look messy, I showed that the seam is not a "pube" or a "crack" in the controller. I was posting that photo not to show anything with the thumbstick. I would've taken a top down angle of it, but even if I did people will say "meh looks fine to me"

If you don't see the spot where the controller has cleared been smoothed off from where his thumb rested, then that's fine, I see it, you don't period. The guy didn't take a piece of sand paper to his controller. There is NO NEED to. If you're so confident, then pick up your damn controller and rub your finger with some friction. I know this isn't necessarily a common motion used in gaming, but it never had the effect on any other controller I've used, that it has on this one, period. I believe this issue will crop up. It may be 75% of the controllers, it maybe 10%. But I think a ton of people are going to be reporting in with this issue.

I understand that at kiosks the controllers aren't treated well, but the majority of the time, the controllers, while worn, aren't ripped like that. The kiosks have only been out for a few weeks now, and there are already multiple reports- from the video in the OP, from multiple events including E3 and Pax Prime, from kiosks at stores, and from this user on reddit. Believe what you want, call me a fanboy that's fine, ignore the issue maybe it won't happen. I'm hoping it doesn't.

edit-

LOL you have horrible reading comprehension.

"Took a picture of mine to put some of this to bed

- Why is everyone just laughing this off and not even considering it in the realm of possibility? We have multiple sources now claiming this very issue, there's two right in the OP. There are multiple people in this thread who have come out about kiosk controllers being like this, people who went to pax prime experienced the same problem."

The point of the picture was to point the BS smear points to bed including- the guy is a slob, it has a crack in it, he's the only one, etc etc. Maybe the guy is these things, but I would wager after my own experience with my own controller that he's telling the truth. Nobody has reported back to me after rubbing into their analog stick themselves.

edit edit- it was taken at that angle specifically to show this guy didn't crack his controller or just sprinkle his pubes all over it. Somebody up there circled the damn photo in MS paint as if analyzing the photo and says LOOK A PUBE! LOOK A CRACK! It's part of the controller... that's embarrasing.

What are you even talking about here?

wizzbang

Banned
I use those FPS Freek clip-on controller stick extenders on my Sixaxis and 360 controllers. Are the PS4 and XB1 stick tips the same size as the previous versions?

I had to ask this for half a day before getting an answer :(
Long story short - the DS4 at least is ever ever so slightly smaller, so my speedfreek may fall off :(

I couldn't care less about people calling the guy a slob or eww pube. Honestly, let it go.

That is not the point of this thread. This is the point of the thread:

5d4ddwk.jpg

You said the following:

my controller had some serious wear and tear after a few simple motions with a little extra force.

Where is that serious wear and tear? Cause I'm not seeing anything like what was displayed in the OP, in any of the images you have posted.

Let the slob, pube, eww talk go. Can we discuss the issue now?

I had to ask this for half a day before getting an answer :(
Long story short - the DS4 at least is ever ever so slightly smaller, so my speedfreek may fall off :(

Thanks for the info. Maybe KontrolFreek will issue new versions. I love them.

What are you even talking about here?

There are two "half-moon" lines at the edge where the handle joins the body. Some people have been claiming that the guy cracked his controller, so of course the sticks would show wear because he treats his stuff like crap, or it was some hair on the controller, again indicative of slobbiness.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm posting the top down photo, but I'm linking to it since it needs to be high res in photo form to be seen. This is why I didn't want to post the top down since people will say "lol that's it?". What has to be kept in mind is.

1. This is after a few moments of friction applied, now not as much force would be used as often, but over two weeks would definitely have an effect.

2. Compare the two sticks. Stark contrast between the two.

3. Similar to the original photo you can see an outline of the thumb albeit much smaller.

4. In taking the picture I noticed on the bottom of the stick in question near the edge it appears almost like a scratch, when in reality it's like a bunching of the material(rubber) that is eroding away, very similar to the picture in the OP, pretty much killing the "he scratched it!" debate, at least IMO.

5. Finally the biggest difference is one stick still has a shine to it, the other appears dull, I'm assuming it's from losing the top few layers of rubber.

Take from it what you will, I'm not panicking, my problem is simply with the ridiculous reponses in here without even giving it a second thought. I believe there is a good chance that this becomes a problem for a fair amount of people and fully expect a lot more cases to start popping up. I'm desperately hoping I'm wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/eNh7kDx.jpg

I couldn't care less about people calling the guy a slob or eww pube. Honestly, let it go.

5d4ddwk.jpg

You said the following:

Where is that serious wear and tear? Cause I'm not seeing anything like what was displayed in the OP, in any of the images you have posted.

I believe he only mentions it because posters have been using his "sloppiness" to say that he treats the controller badly, and thus the sticks are in shitty condition.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

5d4ddwk.jpg

You said the following:

But you're quoting a different post of mine. I'll agree I may have overreacted in a bit of anger given the fact that my 60 dollar controller showed more signs of wear after a 30 second stress test, then my 4 year old DS3 (or whenever it came out)

I'm also trying to put the stupid pube, crack, ewww talk to bed so we can try to discuss the actual issue instead of just killing the guys credibility. I started the thread by saying when I did a stress test, it did some damage.

Ohhh god. I've been ignoring this thread because it seemed dumb, but now it looks like there is at the very least anecdotal evidence that this could be an issue. Tell me they got the rubber right... how do you not get the rubber right?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Thanks for the info. Maybe KontrolFreek will issue new versions. I love them.

There are two "half-moon" lines at the edge where the handle joins the body. Some people have been claiming that the guy cracked his controller, so of course the sticks would show wear because he treats his stuff like crap, or it was some hair on the controller, again indicative of slobbiness.

I believe he only mentions it because posters have been using his "sloppiness" to say that he treats the controller badly, and thus the sticks are in shitty condition.

I truly appreciate these posts lol. I don't understand how people don't get this? I feel I made it pretty clear. I'm trying to stop people from saying "he's a slob! He's terrible to his stuff!" Maybe the guy is telling the truth?

Duxxy3

Ohhh god. I've been ignoring this thread because it seemed dumb, but now it looks like there is at the very least anecdotal evidence that this could be an issue. Tell me they got the rubber right... how do you not get the rubber right?

The rubber is pretty soft.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you're not holding it like a primate or something. Just place equal pressure over the entire thing and nothing should go wrong.

Kashinoda

Banned
If this was an Xbone controller you guys would be over it.

But just look at all the justification and excuses because its a DS4.

I'm posting the top down photo, but I'm linking to it since it needs to be high res in photo form to be seen. This is why I didn't want to post the top down since people will say "lol that's it?". What has to be kept in mind is.

Take from it what you will, I'm not panicking, my problem is simply with the ridiculous reponses in here without even giving it a second thought. I believe there is a good chance that this becomes a problem for a fair amount of people and fully expect a lot more cases to start popping up. I'm desperately hoping I'm wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/eNh7kDx.jpg

Thank you. You would have done yourself a favor if you would have started in this manner. Do not engage the ridiculous eww crowd. I'm a frantic hand washer and guess what, you are still going to get junk in the cracks/thumbsticks.

It looks like it might be a minor concern with a small amount of the controllers, at least going by the reddit thread. More than likely just a quality control issue.

Briarios

Rubber is made in batches and the quality varies. It's quite possible a certain batch is weaker than normal. I've had this problem on one of my 360 controllers. So, while it may very well be a problem for some controllers, I expect this to be a very limited occurrence. Just my 2 cents. May be totally wrong.

Pains me to say this, but you're right. It really isn't fair. They're starting to sound like the apologists of the Xbone's DRM. You have no sworn bond to Sony. If there might be a problem, looking away won't fix anything.

Well then those people have not been looking at many DS4 photos, because it is readily apparent that it is part of the design.

Personally I am just not as concerned about the controller. They will not be in limited supply, if I encounter a problem I'll return it. From the reddit thread it seems to be a problem with particular controllers.

kWrhl7w.jpg

What am I supposed to be looking at? Post a better picture of the wear and tear on the stick please.

Top Bottom