• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

xBuTcHeRx

Been playing BF4 and COD GHOSTS and FF14 on PS3 consecutively with my DS4 controller and I have not had any probs. HOWEVER idk if this is a new controller thing or just me, but my palms get sweaty FAST after playing on the DS4 for a good amount of time. Is anyone else having this issue? I don't have this issue on my DS3 just DS4.

Been playing BF4 and COD GHOSTS and FF14 on PS3 consecutively with my DS4 controller and I have not had any probs. HOWEVER idk if this is a new controller thing or just me, but my palms get sweaty FAST after playing on the DS4 for a good amount of time. Is anyone else having this issue? I don't have this issue on my DS3 just DS4.

your hands just get nervous around the DS4

I'm posting the top down photo, but I'm linking to it since it needs to be high res in photo form to be seen. This is why I didn't want to post the top down since people will say "lol that's it?". What has to be kept in mind is.

1. This is after a few moments of friction applied, now not as much force would be used as often, but over two weeks would definitely have an effect.

2. Compare the two sticks. Stark contrast between the two.

3. Similar to the original photo you can see an outline of the thumb albeit much smaller.

4. In taking the picture I noticed on the bottom of the stick in question near the edge it appears almost like a scratch, when in reality it's like a bunching of the material(rubber) that is eroding away, very similar to the picture in the OP, pretty much killing the "he scratched it!" debate, at least IMO.

5. Finally the biggest difference is one stick still has a shine to it, the other appears dull, I'm assuming it's from losing the top few layers of rubber.

Take from it what you will, I'm not panicking, my problem is simply with the ridiculous reponses in here without even giving it a second thought. I believe there is a good chance that this becomes a problem for a fair amount of people and fully expect a lot more cases to start popping up. I'm desperately hoping I'm wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/eNh7kDx.jpg

It doesn't appear to be a huge problem at all. The DS4 is getting rave reviews everywhere I have looked. On Amazon it has like 4.5 out of 5 stars and is in the top 40 best sellers of 2013 already. This does not appear to be a widespread issue and I question the damage seen in the OP, as that controller has a pretty big crack in it.

snorggy

If this was an Xbone controller you guys would be over it.

But just look at all the justification and excuses because its a DS4.

The controller is out in the wild and has been for awhile... people have bought it and presumably played with it... if it was actually an issue, i think this thread would be a lot different.

RangerBAD

All the DS3s I have owned generally have the rubber peel off, little by little over time, on the right analog stick. I don't remember it happening with DS2 (only ever had one).

Bruno

I hope this isn't some widespread thing. With how many controllers that are in the wild, you would think if it was common there would be reports everywhere.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What am I supposed to be looking at? Post a better picture of the wear and tear on the stick please.

Damn did you even read my post a few posts up? I'll post for the new page.

I'm linking the picture so it can be high res enough to see the differences. They may appear minor at first glance, but this was done after 30 seconds of stress testing, allow me to use it over 2 weeks at a normal pace and I could see it getting far worse.

- Notice the flakes, I believe this is rubber eroding off, it bunches up on the controller.

- Notice the outline of my thumb. It's harder to see, but it's there if you look.

- The biggest difference is in the shine. The right stick appears shiny and brand new, the left stick looks worn down. I think it loses its shine after the first few layers.

- Also to put to rest the "there are scratches!!!" debate, notice on the lower part of the stick there appears to be a similar mark. I can assure you this is not a scratch, but a sort of build up of the white dust in a line. There was actually a lot more of the residue on there after the stress test but I wiped it clean for the picture.

- Here's the link, click on it for full res.

Here are a few other people reporting in for the record.

Twitch caster MANvsGame was using the DS4 for a few days and commented on the rubber wearing away in about ~20 hrs of use (a few casts).

hate to add fuel to the fire, but I noticed that my gamestops demo unit had a chunk taken out of the left analog stick as well....and when I played the PS4 the rubber on the sticks does seem softer and less durable than the rubber on the old DS3.

This could be a problem

I played about an hour of KOF XIII Steam Edition with the controller, and I had this issue. I was using the analog stick because the pad wasn't doing the best job of registering my inputs. By the time I was done, I noticed quite a bit of little flakes that came off of the analog stick. It hasn't lost it's shape or anything crazy like that, but it has lost a bit of it's grip.

To add even more fuel to the fire, Yoshida mentioned Sony using another type of plastic for the ds4 analog sticks, as a solution to that oily ps3 sticks issue. Is it happening??

A number of the PS4 games at PAX Prime had this issue, notably Galak-Z. This is going to become a huge issue come 2014. New DS4 inbound.

Yeah, the video is another source. IF this is a problem it's likely a bad batch, probably having to do with the facility where the rubber coating was put on the sticks. Some bad ones may have slipped through.

The PS4 Controller at the kiosk I visited had the same issue. This was a day after it was set up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It doesn't appear to be a huge problem at all. The DS4 is getting rave reviews everywhere I have looked. On Amazon it has like 4.5 out of 5 stars and is in the top 40 best sellers of 2013 already. This does not appear to be a widespread issue and I quation the damage seen in the OP, as that controller has a pretty big crack in it.

What the hell!? Please dear god tell me you are trolling me... seriously I hope to god I missed the sarcasm.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's the same rubbery textures material they're using on the DS3. at least that's how it feels. I never had this issue with the ds3

YOSP himself has said it's a new rubber. The DS3 was more slick.

edit- Besides this wear and tear issue, btw I LOVE the DS4. The grips are amazing, the triggers are ridiculously comfortable, was shocked by the feel of the touchpad, and the D-pad is clickier than it looks.

Duxxy3

Hopefully somebody makes analogs to replace the problematic ones. Hard rubber, different shapes, whatever.

But I don't believe that is what that is, and even if it was it happened over the course of 2 weeks not one quick jab. Do what I did, tell me if I'm wrong. I spun the stick in a circular motion, applied minor friction and you could already see it being smoothed off. This does not happen on the DS3.

I spun them plenty. (that sounds gross)

It didn't do what you're telling me. It's also possible that there's a bad batch of them that maybe have a thinner nub rubber coating than others? I got the protection plan at BB on mine (I have an sheet issue) so if it happens I'm golden.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Even if it were, the fix would be worth like 12¢

If you want to add this pic to the OP, although it might do more harm than good since some might not get the point.

I've decided to just direct link, hopefully the size doesn't kill load times, but w/e

eNh7kDx.jpg

Compare the 2... one is clearly more worn. After only a 30 second stress test, and a minor one at that.

Damn did you even read my post a few posts up? I'll post for the new page.

I'm linking the picture so it can be high res enough to see the differences. They may appear minor at first glance, but this was done after 30 seconds of stress testing, allow me to use it over 2 weeks at a normal pace and I could see it getting far worse.

- Notice the flakes, I believe this is rubber eroding off, it bunches up on the controller.

- Notice the outline of my thumb. It's harder to see, but it's there if you look.

- The biggest difference is in the shine. The right stick appears shiny and brand new, the left stick looks worn down. I think it loses its shine after the first few layers.

- Also to put to rest the "there are scratches!!!" debate, notice on the lower part of the stick there appears to be a similar mark. I can assure you this is not a scratch, but a sort of build up of the white dust in a line. There was actually a lot more of the residue on there after the stress test but I wiped it clean for the picture.

- Here's the link, click on it for full res.

Here are a few other people reporting in for the record.

Yeah I can definitely see the difference between the 2 sticks now, your first picture wasn't very helpfully. Maybe a bad batch of rubber, maybe bad rubber period. Good to bring it to Sony's attention now.

vivftp

I went to the Sony Store in Niagara Falls, Ontario today and got to play with their demo PS4. Funny enough the left thumbstick in the bottom left corner had the rubber material completely removed and there was a hard plastic bit below it. I can only guess what happened to it to cause such damage.

I have my own DS4 sitting right here and the sticks feel nice and solid. I'm sure if you really dig into it with your fingernails or other sharp objects you could eventually peel off the rubber, but I'm doubtful that would happen with normal use. Time will tell I suppose.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah I can definitely see the difference between the 2 sticks now, your first picture wasn't very helpfully. Maybe a bad batch of rubber, maybe bad rubber period. Good to bring it to Sony's attention now.

Such a weak argument and poor post. Shouldn't count anything against him for being involved in the topic.

Appreciate the acknowledgement. Hate being the bad guy here, but if this is a possible issue, why not talk about it? Why write it off and laugh? I think I have fairly good credibility given my post history, post count, etc. I wouldn't just go off the handle and switch sides on a stupid topic like this one.

StoopKid

Dude, I am not saying you are spreading fud, but you are way too into this.

ibo8HEKTirKg3u.png

We will find out soon enough if it is really an issue, and if it is then yes people should speak up about it. Game developers have said this is a total non issue though, so maybe it won't be that big of a deal after all.

Wereroku

I have been using mine for a while and have no problems. I wonder if this is a batching issue. Luckily it looks like an easy fix that be covered under warranty.

No sarcasm, bubby! Your obsession with this topic is amusing me greatly, so, by all means, continue.

He does have a point though.

My issue is there was a great deal of confusion with what was being discussed. He quoted someone discussing a bad batch of controllers, etc. and then posted a picture. From the way the thread was going I thought it was a picture in reference to all the wear and tear he had continually asserted. All I saw in the image was the normal wear and tear that all controllers get on the thumbstick column.

It seems readily clear now that there exists some bad controllers out there. I doubt it will be a widespread issue. Even if it is, I can just exchange my controller. IF it turns out to be a major issue Sony will fix it or there will be a PR nightmare.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Pretty sure the tone has changed a bit in here at the very least. That's funny though accuse me of spreading FUD after years of being a sony fan.

Which argument are you referring to exactly?

Refer to this post please. Since you haven't read the thread at all it appears...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89200957&postcount=401

There is no crack in the OP picture. Thanks for playing.

edit-

He does have a point though.

My issue is there was a great deal of confusion with what was being discussed. He quoted someone discussing a bad batch of controllers, etc. and then posted a picture. From the way the thread was going I thought it was a picture in reference to all the wear and tear he had continually asserted.

It seems readily clear now that there exists some bad controllers out there. I doubt it will be a widespread issue. Even if it is, I can just exchange my controller. IF it turns out to be a major issue Sony will fix it or there will be a PR nightmare.

Appreciate the gesture. Even if you didn't agree with me, you were willing to listen, at first it seemed I was being written off as a crazed xbot... still am, but at least some of you understand where I'm coming from.

Everytime I use the DS4 at a demo kiosk my hands get sweaty also. I think it's cause you're actually gripping the controller compared with the DS3 which didn't have a lot to grip. I have the same sweaty palms when I use the 360 controller

Jedi2016

Compare the 2... one is clearly more worn. After only a 30 second stress test, and a minor one at that.
You call that "worn"?

I call that "in thirty seconds of play, you wiped off all the chemical preservative shit they put on it at the factory".

Which argument are you referring to exactly?

You're statement about him posting too often + this post:

Dude, I am not saying you are spreading fud, but you are way too into this.

ibo8HEKTirKg3u.png

We will find out soon enough if it is really an issue, and if it is then yes people should speak up about it. Game developers have said this is a total non issue though, so maybe it won't be that big of a deal after all.

in order to make it seem like he's doing something incorrectly. Last time I checked, being particularly interested in a topic isn't a bad thing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You call that "worn"?

I call that "in thirty seconds of play, you wiped off all the chemical preservative shit they put on it at the factory".

Why does the right stick look fine? Why doesn't this happen to my DS3 sticks? This is one of the main issues I had with posting the picture. You just made my point, I was capable of eroding a whole layer of the rubber in 30 seconds? What happens a few weeks, hell a month down the line?

edit-

3Ka04XU.jpg

Why don't the sticks on my DS3s look any different after years of use? Why when I did the same stress test on both DS3s could I not peel a layer off?

Duxxy3

I tried doing what msdstc did for an extended period and the analog is starting to break down.

I am legitimately worried about this material now. It's almost like a more porous rubber eraser.

I can only offer anecdotal evidence but the one I have had here for going on 3 weeks now has no visible wear at all. It has been the main Ps3+Pc controller for me the whole time. I have about 30-35+ hours of play on it between 3 people.

Appreciate the acknowledgement. Hate being the bad guy here, but if this is a possible issue, why not talk about it? Why write it off and laugh? I think I have fairly good credibility given my post history, post count, etc. I wouldn't just go off the handle and switch sides on a stupid topic like this one.

I think the problem is that you,134 others,and I are one of a kind. we butcher controllers. doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. we just play like goons. hope you saw my 360 controller.

Jedi2016

So why does the right stick look completely different?
He obviously wasn't finger-fucking it so much as the left one.

You just made my point, I was capable of eroding a whole layer of the rubber in 30 seconds? What happens a few weeks, hell a month down the line?
Absolutely nothing. You wore through a thin layer of LIQUID that they apply at the factory to make it look pretty in the box. If you were handling the right stick as much as the left, it will fade, too. Once you get down the actual rubber, the "wear" will stop.

Steel

Banned
All the DS3s I have owned generally have the rubber peel off, little by little over time, on the right analog stick. I don't remember it happening with DS2 (only ever had one).

I have 4 DS2s. Only one of them still has the plastic on the left stick intact.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think the problem is that you,134 others,and I are one of a kind. we butcher controllers. doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. we just play like goons. hope you saw my 360 controller.

WOW, 4 posts up... why don't people read?

3Ka04XU.jpg

I take amazing care of my things (IMO, fine if other people think they look beat up). My DS3s are years old, fully functional, and looking nice as they always have IMO.

Valnen

I tried doing what msdstc did for an extended period and the analog is starting to break down.

I am legitimately worried about this material now. It's almost like a more porous rubber eraser.
Uh oh. If this is a real issue Sony better give me a new controller for free.

Absolutely nothing. You wore through a thin layer of LIQUID that they apply at the factory to make it look pretty in the box. If you were handling the right stick as much as the left, it will fade, too. Once you get down the actual rubber, the "wear" will stop.

OH really? You know this how, exactly. That depends entirely on the rubber used. Apparently it did not stop in the OP, nor in the numerous comments from individuals, or the PS Mag video.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Finger fucking? Really? ok then lol.

Anyways agree to disagree on what's happening to the controller.

Thorgi

I take amazing care of my things (IMO, fine if other people think they look beat up). My DS3s are years old, fully functional, and looking nice as they always have IMO.

Might be a defective controller. Maybe call Sony and see if they can replace it?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Might be a defective controller. Maybe call Sony and see if they can replace it?

The failure rate is pretty high then, because in this thread alone...

Twitch caster MANvsGame was using the DS4 for a few days and commented on the rubber wearing away in about ~20 hrs of use (a few casts).

hate to add fuel to the fire, but I noticed that my gamestops demo unit had a chunk taken out of the left analog stick as well....and when I played the PS4 the rubber on the sticks does seem softer and less durable than the rubber on the old DS3.

This could be a problem

I played about an hour of KOF XIII Steam Edition with the controller, and I had this issue. I was using the analog stick because the pad wasn't doing the best job of registering my inputs. By the time I was done, I noticed quite a bit of little flakes that came off of the analog stick. It hasn't lost it's shape or anything crazy like that, but it has lost a bit of it's grip.

To add even more fuel to the fire, Yoshida mentioned Sony using another type of plastic for the ds4 analog sticks, as a solution to that oily ps3 sticks issue. Is it happening??

A number of the PS4 games at PAX Prime had this issue, notably Galak-Z. This is going to become a huge issue come 2014. New DS4 inbound.

Yeah, the video is another source. IF this is a problem it's likely a bad batch, probably having to do with the facility where the rubber coating was put on the sticks. Some bad ones may have slipped through.

The PS4 Controller at the kiosk I visited had the same issue. This was a day after it was set up.

All these people are either lying or finger fucking their controllers... right? right?

Duxxy3

GOUXr0l.jpg

Yes, I know it's dusty - like every single object all of us own.

You can see the rubber starting to flake off here.

edit: i've had the controller for two weeks but didn't start to see the kind of wear this picture shows until i started to do circles around the rubber edge with a small amount of force

WOW, 4 posts up... why don't people read?

3Ka04XU.jpg

then return it. maybe you should sand down your fingers before you play games.

I have had mine for 10 days, play about four hours a day.

I keep my fingernails short, and I wash my hands before every session, and I have experienced no problems whatsoever.

Top Bottom