• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Is it considered successful FUD if I had a bad dream last night that my DS4 was falling apart?

Hahaha, true story.

I wanted to say this is nonsense (and I think that DS4 was clearly not handled right) but I've used my DS4 exclusively for a couple weeks now (racking up 32 hours in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 over the past few days in particular) and just noticed that their is some light peeling of the rubber on the left side of the left analogue stick, almost like a little piece of sunburn.

BNuX9kn.jpg

:/

Peeled it off and I'm hoping that's the end of it.

Methinks Sony might be replacing that rubber in their next batch.

You're statement about him posting too often + this post:

in order to make it seem like he's doing something incorrectly. Last time I checked, being particularly interested in a topic isn't a bad thing.

I wasn't arguing anything. I'm saying there are no mass reports of controllers having problems. Cite sources if you want to prove me otherwise. Posting 3 pics from reddit and twitter is not evidence of a mass problem occurring.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
then return it. maybe you should sand down your fingers before you play games.

Wtf... so I have to sand down my fingers for the DS4, but not my DS3s? Lol that doesn't even make sense. You can also see my nails are short in the photo for reference.

GOUXr0l.jpg

Yes, I know it's dusty - like every single object all of us own.

You can see the rubber starting to flake off here.

Excellent shot in that it shows it at a closer level what's actually happening. Appears the "dust" is balled up rubber flaking off.

Jedi2016

OH really? You know this how, exactly. That depends entirely on the rubber used. Apparently it did not stop in the OP, nor in the numerous comments from individuals, or the PS Mag video.
The one in the OP had the rubber physically ripped loose from the underlying plastic. That wasn't "worn through", that was "torn off".

I'm not seeing "numerous comments from individuals" here, I'm seeing "numerous comments from ONE individual", and I haven't seen any video. What I am seeing are numerous comments from multiple individuals saying "this shit is blown way out of proportion", which I happen to agree with.

I played my DS4 earlier today for several whole minutes, and I didn't get the kind of "wear and tear" that anyone else got in "thirty seconds".

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I wasn't arguing anything. I'm saying there are no mass reports of controllers having problems. Cite sources if you want to prove me otherwise. Posting 3 pics from reddit and twitter is not evidence of a mass problem occurring.

Don't look now, but 2 more people just posted pictures! Not to mention the 10 or so posts from this very thread I quoted. Add the 2 in the OP and mine and we're took at 15-20 Reports, and hell the consoles not even out yet!

The one in the OP had the rubber physically ripped loose from the underlying plastic. That wasn't "worn through", that was "torn off".

I'm not seeing "numerous comments from individuals" here, I'm seeing "numerous comments from ONE individual", and I haven't seen any video. What I am seeing are numerous comments from multiple individuals saying "this shit is blown way out of proportion", which I happen to agree with.

I played my DS4 earlier today for several whole minutes, and I didn't get the kind of "wear and tear" that anyone else got in "thirty seconds".

Woops 2 more photos popped up as you wrote this. Look out the xbot squad has invaded!

StoopKid

This.

Don't worry guys, deputyspade has checked how well the controller is selling on Amazon. It must mean there's no issues.

You know they have these nifty little things on Amazon called "reviews"?! You can read them and see how pleased or unpleased people are with their purchases. There are many many reviews on there and I can't find any citing controller toggle sticks having issues.

TheHater

GOUXr0l.jpg

Yes, I know it's dusty - like every single object all of us own.

You can see the rubber starting to flake off here.

edit: i've had the controller for two weeks but didn't start to see the kind of wear this picture shows until i started to do circles around the rubber edge with a small amount of force
Okay, we may have a problem here. Hopefully this was just a bad batch. Hopefully

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You know they have these nifty little things on Amazon called "reviews"?! You can read them and see how pleased or unpleased people are with their purchases. There are many many reviews on there and I can't find any citing controller toggle sticks having issues.

There's a nifty thing called Neogaf, where gamers come together and discuss things they like or are concerned about.

Also you're looking at reviews from either

a. People who are fanboys and don't have a controller yet.

or

b. DON'T HAVE A PS4 TO PLAY ON.

Use common sense please.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If rubber flakes off a little, is that abnormal? We're talking about pieces breaking off in the OP.

Jedi2016

Don't look now, but 2 more people just posted pictures! Not to mention the 10 or so posts from this very thread I quoted. Add the 2 in the OP and mine and we're took at 15-20 Reports, and hell the consoles not even out yet!

Woops 2 more photos popped up as you wrote this. Look out the xbot squad has invaded!
And they're all describing exactly the same thing... the preservative coating on the rubber is wearing off. That's expected with any tech built using this kind of material.

Come see me in a month and we'll see if it's still "wearing down" continuously or if it's been more or less the same since these first few days were done. I'll wait.

Units at kiosks are excluded from the argument on the basis that a bunch of twelve-year-old twats will pick at them like a scab saying "Hey, check out this new material". Let's keep the argument to NORMAL gameplay, shall we? Kiosks don't see "normal" gameplay in their entire existence.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Dude you're allowing yourself to get trolled to the max.

I felt that way for a little while, but a lot of people have switched their tone in the past few pages, I feel we're finally getting somewhere. A few more have reported in, and people can see my pictures and others.

I know our wear isn't near the wear in the OP (rhymes too much), but as I said, it's happening, imagine a month after heavy use on the actual console.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If rubber flakes off a little, is that abnormal? We're talking about pieces breaking off in the OP.

My take on it was that the rubber got so thin, that the tension from the raised edge, and being tightly wrapped around the nub, caused it to tear at the edge and peel down a line.

I noticed this wearing down of rubber myself when I visited the Sony Store.. always on the left most used analogue stick. I really think this is going to be a big issue.

Unfortunately this means that Sony is going to have to go back to their old solution... which means less grip.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would hope so, I've never had a flaking controller before, and it's a sign that it's not very durable.

I'm not convinced. If they're using a new type of rubber coating/protective coating, it could show signs of wear upon first break-in.

Alternatively, their first batch could be fucked. Like the first Sixaxis batch...you guys might remember they disconnected for 3-4 seconds at a time randomly :\

To be fair, man, the console hasn't released yet. All the DS4s out there right now are in the hands of enthusiasts like myself who (even with 32 hours of Kingdom Hearts in the past 4 days) have had very little time to form an extended impression of things like the longevity of the sticks.

And even though I have now noticed a little bit of light peeling, I would still rate this a 5-Star controller, best I've ever used. I wouldn't qualify this as a "problem" but I don't think it would be a bad thing for Sony to inspect the quality control of that rubber and maybe use something different in further manufacturing.

We'll see if it even gets worse though.

EDIT:
I'm not convinced. If they're using a new type of rubber coating/protective coating, it could show signs of wear upon first break-in.

Alternatively, their first batch could be fucked. Like the first Sixaxis batch...you guys might remember they disconnected for 3-4 seconds at a time randomly :

And this here is what I'm saying about quality control. We have a very limited sample of people all with prerelease controllers, no reason to think the results some of us are seeing will be consistent throughout production.

There's a nifty thing called Neogaf, where gamers come together and discuss things they like or are concerned about.

Also you're looking at reviews from either

a. People who are fanboys and don't have a controller yet.

or

b. DON'T HAVE A PS4 TO PLAY ON.

Use common sense please.

So, you're saying all the reviews are from people who haven't purchased one or are fanboys even though it is the number 30 best selling item on Amazon for the entire year?! I think you need to take a little bit of your own advice

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I noticed this wearing down of rubber myself when I visited the Sony Store.. always on the left most used analogue stick. I really think this is going to be a big issue.

Unfortunately this means that Sony is going to have to go back to their old solution... which means less grip.

I don't want this to be a misconception that somethings wrong with the left stick. The reason the left stick is worse off is because it is used far more often in games, and is used more aggressively to shift direction. Fifa makes sense for where all the wear was since you would constantly be switching directions up and down the field.

Valnen

Alternatively, their first batch could be fucked. Like the first Sixaxis batch...you guys might remember they disconnected for 3-4 seconds at a time randomly :\

I guess the only option we have is to wait and see. Which sucks >.<.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So, you're saying all the reviews are from people who haven't purchased one or are fanboys even though it is the number 30 best selling item on Amazon for the entire year?! I think you need to take a little bit of your own advice

I'll flip it right back on you... use COMMON SENSE. Read when the reviews were written. Right around when the thing came out. I'm not talking about getting this thing taking it out of the box and having it fall apart in front of your eyes. I'm saying after moderate use the stick will begin to erode, this is what I believe is going to happen.

I will be the first to admit that my experience with the controller has not been as extensive as most here on GAF but the rubber does feel similiar to the DS3 bumpers and that in itself is not a good thing in my honest opinion.

Yazuka

I hope this is just a bad batch and the controllers that come with the console are better. This is not accepteble, hope Sony fixes this fast.

Chobel

And they're all describing exactly the same thing... the preservative coating on the rubber is wearing off. That's expected with any tech built using this kind of material.

Come see me in a month and we'll see if it's still "wearing down" continuously or if it's been more or less the same since these first few days were done. I'll wait.

Units at kiosks are excluded from the argument on the basis that a bunch of twelve-year-old twats will pick at them like a scab saying "Hey, check out this new material". Let's keep the argument to NORMAL gameplay, shall we? Kiosks don't see "normal" gameplay in their entire existence.

This is a good explanation to what's you're seeing people.

Yeah, this might be a bit of an issue, but in reality it's a simple fix to change materials if there's a problem. I'm more concerned that the sticks seem weirdly convex with a little ridge, but maybe that's just flashbacks from the DS3 issues I had...lol.

wizzbang

Banned
Thanks for the info. Maybe KontrolFreek will issue new versions. I love them.

Racing games are unplayable on a controller without them. I didn't get a bite from them on twitter about a new set but they are aware the old ones don't fit - for the PS4 / DS4 at least.

Amazon reviews is your evidence? Amazon??

Haha.

I'll flip it right back on you... use COMMON SENSE. Read when the reviews were written. Right around when the thing came out. I'm not talking about getting this thing taking it out of the box and having it fall apart in front of your eyes. I'm saying after moderate use the stick will begin to erode, this is what I believe is going to happen.

Quite a few of the reviews are in recent days. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

VanWinkle

I've noticed that some of the texture at the top of mine is off, but the sticks are still just as grippy. I do not see this as an issue as of yet.

I was just looking at my DS4 and its seems to me like that raised rubbery part of sticks are just fine. sure they may wear down after a lot of use, but I didn't get the impression it was particularly flimsy. I will be surprised if an actual chunk breaks off.

I'm curios with people who have a DS4 if they noticed how the track pad feels? When I was at PAX I wrote about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79231281&highlight=#post79231281
DS4: I played War Frame (meh) and Drive Club (fun). First thing I noticed is that it felt small compared to 360, other then that I could see myself game with it for hundreds of hours. The only gripe I have is with the touch pad. I didn't realize that it clicks down like a button, very cool, but it felt really flimsy, like it will eventually pop off flimsy. Also the touch pad curves over the back, but isn't flush with it, so I kept finding my fingers picking at the pad like a scab, wanting to pull it off. Anyone else notice this?

It's probably too early to ask because people who have a DS4 now wouldn't be using it, and I think Kill Zone is the only game that really uses at launch. Not enough time to build up any real wear and tear just curios if it feels sturdy? Shame about the thumb sticks they did feel great on my thumbs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Quite a few of the reviews are in recent days. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

In recent days? You mean before the console has even come out? Before the controller has even got any extensive use?

Yeah, this might be a bit of an issue, but in reality it's a simple fix to change materials if there's a problem. I'm more concerned that the sticks seem weirdly convex with a little ridge, but maybe that's just flashbacks from the DS3 issues I had...lol.

I agree it would be an easy fix... if they caught it before everyone already has their controller. If this really is a problem, ever DS4 in a ps4 box right now is coated with this bad material. Same goes for all the ones that'll be sold over the counter at launch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I was just looking at my DS4 and its seems to me like that raised rubbery part of sticks are just fine. sure they may wear down after a lot of use, but I didn't get the impression it was particularly flimsy. I will be surprised if an actual chunk breaks off.

The picture in the OP is not missing a chunk, you're looking at the picture wrong. The lower half of the grip split and slid down causing it to split open.

I'm curios with people who have a DS4 if they noticed how the track pad feels? When I was at PAX I wrote about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79231281&highlight=#post79231281

It's probably too early to ask because people who have a DS4 now wouldn't be using it, and I think Kill Zone is the only game that really uses at launch. Not enough time to build up any real wear and tear just curios if it feels sturdy? Shame about the thumb sticks they did feel great on my thumbs.

The touchpads that I've used have felt excellent. It also won't be subject to the same abuse that say a analog would be subjected to, so I don't expect it to be a problem.

I don't get what's wrong with using amazon as evidence ?

How do you know they didn't open it up, play with it for 20 minutes then post a review?

There's no background for most of these at all. Most people probably wouldn't even notice, or care.

Or maybe they would. Who know. It's an Amazon review.

Top Bottom