• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

VanWinkle

I'm curios with people who have a DS4 if they noticed how the track pad feels? When I was at PAX I wrote about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79231281&highlight=#post79231281

It's probably too early to ask because people who have a DS4 now wouldn't be using it, and I think Kill Zone is the only game that really uses at launch. Not enough time to build up any real wear and tear just curios if it feels sturdy? Shame about the thumb sticks they did feel great on my thumbs.

It doesn't feel remotely flimsy. Very nice quality.

I'm curios with people who have a DS4 if they noticed how the track pad feels? When I was at PAX I wrote about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79231281&highlight=#post79231281

It's probably too early to ask because people who have a DS4 now wouldn't be using it, and I think Kill Zone is the only game that really uses at launch. Not enough time to build up any real wear and tear just curios if it feels sturdy? Shame about the thumb sticks they did feel great on my thumbs.

It feels sturdy enough.

GUNxSPECTRE

Neo Member
I saw the exact picture on reddit about a week ago.

Summary: OP(?) is an asshole who took sandpaper and sharp instruments to his beautiful DS4 just for karma.

Seeing how Sony is a hardware giant with some good engineers, I doubt that they'd go with a inferior material for the rubber material covering the analog sticks than what they used last/this gen...

Jedi2016

Sorry I don't agree with that at all.
Well, like I said, we'll revisit this after hours/days/weeks of play time and see if it's limited to a "breaking in" period of the first few days or if the wear is continuous over an extended period. I certainly wouldn't start freaking out over fiddling with it for just a day or so. Hell, I'm not even taking the feel of the sticks as gospel yet, because I know damn well those will loosen up over time.

While their stress testing may not have been as thorough as we'd all like, I'm sure basic surface testing was more than adequate. And devs have been using these for more than a year. If it were an ongoing problem, someone would have said something.

Steel

Banned
*sigh* If it does turn out that the first batch of DS4's have a problem with peeling(Not the end of the world; sticks still work without the rubber) that will be a bit depressing. Knowing me I'll probably wear down that left stick in a week if it's actually a problem...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Summary: OP(?) is an asshole who took sandpaper and sharp instruments to his beautiful DS4 just for karma.

Seeing how Sony is a hardware giant with some good engineers, I doubt that they'd go with a inferior material for the rubber material covering the analog sticks than what they used last/this gen...

I sure as hell know I didn't take sandpaper to mine, and did the other 2 gaffers who posted pictures in the last few pages take sandpaper to theirs?

edit- maybe we should update the OP with other gaffers accounts, whether it's the other pictures posted or at least our experiences, just so people can be caught up on the thread.

I don't even have a DS4 yet. Hope you meant the Reddit guy.

StoopKid

How do you know they didn't open it up, play with it for 20 minutes then post a review?

There's no background for most of these at all. Most people probably wouldn't even notice, or care.

Or maybe they would. Who know. It's an Amazon review.

How do you know they played for 20 minutes and posted a review ?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How do you know they played for 20 minutes and posted a review ?

You're proving our point... you don't. A general rule of thumb is to not use amazon reviews for impressions, because anybody can post there without any evidence of what they're saying. At least the arguments in this thread have something to back it up.

hurzelein

And they're all describing exactly the same thing... the preservative coating on the rubber is wearing off. That's expected with any tech built using this kind of material.

Come see me in a month and we'll see if it's still "wearing down" continuously or if it's been more or less the same since these first few days were done. I'll wait.

Units at kiosks are excluded from the argument on the basis that a bunch of twelve-year-old twats will pick at them like a scab saying "Hey, check out this new material". Let's keep the argument to NORMAL gameplay, shall we? Kiosks don't see "normal" gameplay in their entire existence.

Probably this. Might be that it actually is a problem but I would probably be more concerned if some people who describe their experience wouldn't post so aggressively much that you could think they crave the attention. Nothing personal, some interesting points were raised and pictures posted, thanks. But now ally play your games and observe it over a longer time, don't "test" it with unnormal use.

Duxxy3

4YI5kmm.jpg

A little more rigorous testing. Yes, I am intentionally trying to show wear.

I think there was a protective layer, but I don't think it's very thick. I think I'm into the meat of the analog now. I don't know why the left side isn't showing the same wear. I tried to reverse the motion, but it didn't make a difference.

4YI5kmm.jpg

I think there was a protective layer, but I don't think it's very thick. I think I'm into the meat of the analog now. I don't know why the left side isn't showing the same wear. I trying to reverse the motion, but it didn't make a difference.

Keep going, for science and all!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Probably this. Might be that it actually is a problem but I would probably be more concerned if some people who describe their experience wouldn't post so aggressively much that you could think they crave the attention. Nothing personal, some interesting points were raised and pictures posted, thanks.

Lol ok, well to defend myself here, I was getting shrugged off and laughed at as an xbot. I felt like the only one thinking rationally while everyone just thinks if they laugh and ignore the problem it'll disappear.

I love the texture of the touchpad, honestly, it feels like heaven. I do, however, feel like it could be a little tighter and less mushy, but that is most likely just what I expected of it before I had one. I think they made it on the loose side purposefully so that it is easily clickable even as a reflex move if a developer so chooses. They could have made it tighter, but choose not to so it required less of a concerted effort to press it in during gameplay since you already have to adjust your grip and stretch your thumb to reach it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I ain't even worried about this unless some people just want to go haywire over every little thing.

Hopefully the guys are watching this kind of stuff and change the rubber if it bothers some.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
4YI5kmm.jpg

I think there was a protective layer, but I don't think it's very thick. I think I'm into the meat of the analog now. I don't know why the left side isn't showing the same wear. I tried to reverse the motion, but it didn't make a difference.

Yeah because it appears to react the same way as friction between metal or plastic. Tiny splinters form, which end up getting tugged and pulling more and more off. Going in the reverse motion will just flatten it back out. You shouldn't be able to do this amount of damage after just a few simple stress tests.

You know, I remember playing DBZ Budokai 2 on Ps2 and it requiring you to rotate the sticks rigorously, which caused my sticks to flake with little rolls of rubber. If that is the motion you guys are doing to your sticks then I don't think this is an accurate "test" and you are ruining your sticks for nothing.

Damage over time is not the same as damage from over/misuse, physically speaking.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You know, I remember playing DBZ Budokai 2 on Ps2 and it requiring you to rotate the sticks rigorously, which caused my sticks to flake with little rolls of rubber. If that is the motion you guys are doing to your sticks then I don't think this is an accurate "test" and you are ruining your sticks for nothing.

Damage over time is not the same as damage from over/misuse, physically speaking.

What happens if you want to play those games? What happens if you want to play a twin stick shooter? Why when I do the same test on my DS3s or my sixaxis nothing happens?

Yet they approved the original PS3 triggers and Vitas poor analog sticks.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
Well it is becoming more apparent that Sony did not test these controllers very well.

You're fucking joking, right?

They built them then shipped em out, right? That's how they nailed the controller design so well...by not testing shit.

And msdstc is single handedly ruining this thread.

What happens if you want to play those games? What happens if you want to play a twin stick shooter? Why when I do the same test on my DS3s or my sixaxis nothing happens?

Well I haven't played a game since that required so much force to rotate the sticks. I understand your point, I am just questioning the test methods. You have to also take into account added heat from friction. Resting your thumb there and doing the motion every 10-15 seconds is a much different action than doing it as a constant. It wouldn't yield the same results.

BearPawB

Banned
You're fucking joking, right?

They built them then shipped em out, right? That's how they nailed the controller design so well...by not testing shit.

"nailed the controller design"
"it falls apart after a few weeks of use"

They at least didn't nail the thumbstick rubber...

I've been using mine on my pc and it shows no wear.... but it does feel like if I picked at it I could break it apart fairly easily. Makes me worried that if it gets snagged on something that it will be screwed. But.... as of now I have no issues.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well I haven't played a game since that required so much force to rotate the sticks. I understand your point, I am just questioning the test methods. You have to also take into account added heat from friction. Resting your thumb there and doing the motion every 10-15 seconds is a much different action than doing it as a constant. It wouldn't yield the same results.

Do you have a DS4? I don't go in a continuous motion the whole time... hell I might even make a video. I just do a good swipe over the stick, and more white dust continues to appear and roll out of it.

edit- btw fighting games can sometimes require some seriously intricate patterns and can be chained together fairly quickly.

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
And you seem to have confidence that it isn't an issue...despite people posting some photos to the contrary.

I'm watching the situation.

What I'm not about to fucking do is say Sony never tested the rubber on their controllers.

And photos that show nothing like the OP. To me it looks more like residue from manufacturing the sticks that's coming off. Like a thin layer that dried.

What I find interesting about this topic is it's following the exact same pattern as the 360 RROD. I think I was one of the first batch of GAFers to have my 360 red-ring. It wasn't so rare that it was unknown, but Microsoft did not acknowledge it as a problem and I had to pay them for a repair. In the main thread here, people with the problem were disbelieved, and assumptions were made about the conditions they kept their consoles. This isn't on that same level (I doubt Sony will offer exchanges), but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed how the sticks are covered.

Lol ok, well to defend myself here, I was getting shrugged off and laughed at as an xbot. I felt like the only one thinking rationally while everyone just thinks if they laugh and ignore the problem it'll disappear.

I don't think people were shrugging you off, they were just shrugging the "evidence" off, since it seemed pretty flimsy at the time.

Duxxy3

Well science be damned, I've done enough damage to my controller for the night.

I hope the doubters in this thread are right, but the analog I was testing on looks nothing like his less used brother on the right now.

What I find interesting about this topic is it's following the exact same pattern as the 360 RROD. I think I was one of the first batch of GAFers to have my 360 red-ring. It wasn't so rare that it was unknown, but Microsoft did not acknowledge it as a problem and I had to pay them for a repair. In the main thread here, people with the problem were disbelieved, and assumptions were made about the conditions they kept their consoles. This isn't on that same level (I doubt Sony will offer exchanges), but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed how the sticks are covered.

Anything is possible. The dualshock 3 has had like 3 different revisions to the internals.

Well science be damned, I've done enough damage to my controller for the night.

I hope the doubters in this thread are right, but the analog I was testing on looks nothing like his less used brother on the right now.

The science must continue! Test the right stick.

Still is crazy flimsy.

Not really. You can argue that perhaps the rubber will stop rubbing down or that people are merely eating through a chemical preservative...but something is definitely going on.

Zero_

Hmm.. I haven't seen it myself personally, but the added concavity of the stick may not work so well with the material they've been using (assuming it is the same stuff for the previous Dual Shocks) because you've got a much tighter grip and hence more force rubbing against it.

Chobel

/sigh

The individuals who are posting photos are not playing games with them atm, they are deliberately putting the controllers under stress. What I want to know is does the right stick do the same thing.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but from what I read those individuals has done those stress test after playing with the controller.

Top Bottom