• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

DUMPTRUXX

Banned
Dammit I won't sacrifice both children!

Does the left one just look lighter colored compared to the right?

As I had mentioned, I'm guessing it's some kind of residue that was left on the sticks during manufacturing that probably dried into a very thin material that can rub off--because from the pictures it looks like when you rub your thumb on your skin a bit and it gets that rolled/plasticy looking pieces.

aww I love Vitas sticks, however to speak to the ps3 controller, the sixaxis had the fault bluetooth issue at release where it would randomly disconnect.

I don't like the Vita sticks. not clickable, too small, the material isn't very comfortable, and the axis seems a bit off. I wished they would have copied Nintendos design a little.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but from what I read those individuals has done those stress test after playing with the controller.

This is why I was hesitant to use the word stress test. My stress test consisted of average gaming movements at a slightly higher bit of pressure. The reason for the higher pressure was to take into consideration being in a competitive game or quick reaction game where the sticks will be put under some serious stress, such as the situation that the OP explains, where him and his friends were battling in fifa.

Duxxy3

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but from what I read those individuals has done those stress test after playing with the controller.

I have had my controller for 2 weeks and put at least 40 hours onto it before stress testing it tonight.

StoopKid

This is why I was hesitant to use the word stress test. My stress test consisted of average gaming movements at a slightly higher bit of pressure. The reason for the higher pressure was to take into consideration being in a competitive game or quick reaction game where the sticks will be put under some serious stress, such as the situation that the OP explains, where him and his friends were battling in fifa.

Lol the op is from reddit.

Duxxy3

Does the left one just look lighter colored compared to the right?

As I had mentioned, I'm guessing it's some kind of residue that was left on the sticks during manufacturing that probably dried into a very thin material that can rub off--because from the pictures it looks like when you rub your thumb on your skin a bit and it gets that rolled/plasticy looking pieces.

I7MqroV.jpg

This is what they look like now.

edit: the one on the right has two weeks of normal use. the one on the left has two weeks of normal use and stress testing on top of that.

that's pretty awful... that happened to some of my 360 controllers... after like 5 years lol

I'm not convinced. If they're using a new type of rubber coating/protective coating, it could show signs of wear upon first break-in.

Alternatively, their first batch could be fucked. Like the first Sixaxis batch...you guys might remember they disconnected for 3-4 seconds at a time randomly :\

i remember totally. i was so glad to get rid of my suxaxis controllers and get dualshock3's.

Theman2k

Well i have to say that my DS4 after a few days of heavy gaming looks as good as new. Not even a slight sign to any kind of damage.

To be honest all of my controllers over the years look like new.

Doing all those artificial stress tests only works to scare other people.
In reality if you you dont have nails like a cat and you put your finger on the stick, it would be fine.

DS4 is awsome.

wizzbang

Banned
I7MqroV.jpg

edit: the one on the right has two weeks of normal use. the one on the left has two weeks of normal use and stress testing on top of that.

This is pretty unfortunate :/ fuck
I wonder if Sony are even aware - my PS3 controllers are like 6 years old and flawless.

Still is crazy flimsy.

From what I've seen in the pictures msdstc and Duxxy posted it definitely looks like the rubber is wearing down too fast, at least on those samples. I highly doubt it has anything to do with Sony not testing it properly though, likely a manufacturing mistake.

NJDEN

I just played through Metro Last Light & a little bit of Skyrim with my DS4 and have not noticed any issues.

MogCakes

Woops 2 more photos popped up as you wrote this. Look out the xbot squad has invaded!

Lol ok, well to defend myself here, I was getting shrugged off and laughed at as an xbot. I felt like the only one thinking rationally while everyone just thinks if they laugh and ignore the problem it'll disappear.

Come on dude. Do you -really- think that you're the only sane man? You're saying some hyperbolic shit here. The sticks wearing easily is a problem if true, but at worst it is a very minor problem.

Joco

The hell? Does this guy play with his fingernails jammed into the analog sticks? Or does he cover his hands in sandpaper before playing games?

I'd be really surprised if this was a widespread problem.

The hell? Does this guy play with his fingernails jammed into the analog sticks? Or does he cover his hands in sandpaper before playing games?

I'd be really surprised if this was a widespread problem.

Did you even bother to read/glance at the last page?

Now I understand what msdstc was getting at.

Chobel

I7MqroV.jpg

Holy shit at that left stick, that's definitely not protective coating, it's the actual rubber.

wizzbang

Banned
Come on dude. Do you -really- think that you're the only sane man? You're saying some hyperbolic shit here. The sticks wearing easily is a problem if true, but at worst it is a very minor problem.

I have fucking 0 interest in an Xbox and this concerns me a lot.
How many people have a DS4 in their house right now? and how many are using it for gaming? Answer? Not fucking many.

Yet we're seeing more and more reports of this, kinda shit.

Holy shit at that left stick, that's definitely not protective coating, it's the actual rubber.

Yep. Yet, we have people still joking and calling out other gamers as if they have claw hands or something else as ridiculous. Perhaps it is a faulty batch, maybe an issue with a factory etc. but, it is seeming a bit more real for me.

It is concerning. Even if I know I can just exchange the controller for a new one until this problem is fixed.

Well, now I'm a little concerned.

Let's hope this is problem with shipped controllers and not an issue with the actual bundled in controllers from the PS4 :/

Must say, I really like the Xbox's plastic indent and wired perimeter around the analog sticks. Definitely looked for sturdy, if not plasticky. I prefer the rubber of the DS4, but I'm going to be paranoid if I see the slightest wear.

Thanks, GAF!

rich7sena

Banned
This is one area where I definitely thought the Xbox One controller looked better. The rubber looks really pliable and prone to wear and tear. Sort of like the rubber on indoor basketball shoes; really grippy but prone to wear.

Yes, so the rubber was a bit worn down. Nothing nearly as bad as what was shown in the OP, which I remain skeptical of.

Fine. Be skeptical of the OP, but it is apparent there is some issue with the thumb sticks. I do not know how long controllers last for you, perhaps you replace them often. I typically keep my controllers for years. If this wearing down of the rubber continues what is going to happen in a year?

This is one area where I definitely thought the Xbox One controller looked better. The rubber looks really pliable and prone to wear and tear. Sort of like the rubber on indoor basketball shoes; really grippy but prone to wear.

Agreed, never liked the look of the PS4 rubberized thumb stick.

/sigh

The individuals who are posting photos are not playing games with them atm, they are deliberately putting the controllers under stress. What I want to know is does the right stick do the same thing.

*raises hand*
Actually, I've done no stress testing (why would I torture my baby??) but have played maybe 50+ hours with this thing by now and just noticed tonight a bit of peeling. On my left stick. On the left side. Like most everybody else. Because that's where it's used the most.

Theman2k

I dont know you guys, i dont want to dismiss other people claims so easliy, yet i remain skeptical over a global DS4 issue.

Also NJDEN here didnt have any issues like me.

I really hope it will turn out for the best.
But please consider other not alarming reports.

Metfanant

complete non-issue at the end of the day...if its proven that there is a legit problem...Sony is gonna end up replacing your DS4 with a revised one...

end of story...enjoy your games and stop "stress testing" your analog sticks for Christ's sake...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Wow common sense. Love how these are the first sticks ever with this magical protective coat that peels off and makes a mess.

Yes, so the rubber was a bit worn down. Nothing nearly as bad as what was shown in the OP, which I remain skeptical of.

Ok, look at how worn down after just seconds of use... give it 2 weeks.

Can we get pictures of the fingers that perpetrated these crimes? Perhaps some some Jergens could solve this issue.

LOL, I like to think my hands are pretty soft... Why is there always a new excuse?

"oh it's because he's a slob, oh it's because he has oily hands, oh it's because his friends used it"

StoopKid

complete non-issue at the end of the day...if its proven that there is a legit problem...Sony is gonna end up replacing your DS4 with a revised one...

end of story...enjoy your games and stop "stress testing" your analog sticks for Christ's sake...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
*raises hand*
Actually, I've done no stress testing (why would I torture my baby??) but have played maybe 50+ hours with this thing by now and just noticed tonight a bit of peeling. On my left stick. On the left side. Like most everybody else. Because that's where it's used the most.

Wow shocker here, you mean constant use causes it to wear down? Again the word stress test is alarming the people, but my point is that with some fairly decent use it feels this material could very easily break down. I don't know why it's so hard for people to wrap their head around, and as I said earlier I hope I'm the one eating crow, but I believe a ton of others will be the ones eating their words.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Yeah so lets just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. It's no big deal the millions of DS4s that will be out there in no less than a week will ALL be faulty, similar to the RROD issue, it will happen. It's obviously not on the same level, but it needs to be addressed now before everyone is bitching and it blows up in sonys face. If the media gets hold of this its going to be terrible press for sony.

Joco

Well two weeks of Battlefield 4 and Killzone: Shadowfall should be enough for me to tell if this will be an issue or not... guess us Americans will be beta testing the controllers for all you Europeans.

Yeah I don't get why you would make such dubious stress tests. Just use the controller and play games. If it gets damaged Sony will replace it.

MogCakes

I have fucking 0 interest in an Xbox and this concerns me a lot.
How many people have a DS4 in their house right now? and how many are using it for gaming? Answer? Not fucking many.

Yet we're seeing more and more reports of this, kinda shit.

Did you not read my post? At worst it's a problem that is easily fixable. And per your comment on users, do you have data concerning DS4 sales, and the percentage of complaints? Because I'd love to see them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does anything happen if I play with my controller normally?

The idea is that if you use your controller normally over the course of a few weeks this is going to happen, all the "stress test" does is mimic more intense gaming motions, such as quickly changing direction, or rapid rotating, etc. It's stuff we do in just about every game, whether we know it or not.

Like a lot have said in here, these motions take a toll on a controller over time, but the speed at which its happening on these controllers is beyond concerning.

Yeah so lets just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. It's no big deal the millions of DS4s that will be out there in no less than a week will ALL be faulty, similar to the RROD issue, it will happen. It's obviously not on the same level, but it needs to be addressed now before everyone is bitching and it blows up in sonys face. If the media gets hold of this its going to be terrible press for sony.

That's not what he said at all. But those tests seem rather dubious to me. This will be adressed by Sony if it turns out to be a problem, imo there is no point of worrying. Or what are you suggesting, that we should cancel our preorders?

The idea is that if you use your controller normally over the course of a few weeks this is going to happen, all the "stress test" does is mimic more intense gaming motions, such as quickly changing direction, or rapid rotating, etc. It's stuff we do in just about every game, whether we know it or not.

Like a lot have said in here, these motions take a toll on a controller over time, but the speed at which its happening on these controllers is beyond concerning.

The problem is that your stress test is absolutely not scientific. You are making up a stress test which is potentially totally nonsense and potentially does not reflect the reality of normal usage.

Since this thread is full of anecdotes, I guess I will add my own. We have had the PS4 demo for 5 days now, it has had heavy use(and abuse). No signs of wear on the controller sticks yet.

DeBurgo

Original DS2 had this problem where whatever adhesive they had would congeal and get gross after a while if you left it exposed to air. DS3 had a similar problem, but to a much less notable degree (but then it had those awful triggers). Doesn't really surprise me that DS4 sticks have a "problem" as well.

I don't really know why people are acting like it's bias or gross gamers, necessarily (though those sort of people certainly do exist).

Also, just so nobody accuses me of being biased (ugh): Xbox 360 has triggers that get squeaky after a while (usually right trigger), and thumbsticks that become slightly less springy -- enough that it can throw you off. Gamecube controllers used to straight up just break and stop working... and remember having to wring the controller to get the b-button to work?

Anyway, first adopter rule has never burned me!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gemüsepizza;89229742 said:
That's not what he said at all. But those tests seem rather dubious to me. This will be adressed by Sony if it turns out to be a problem, imo there is no point of worrying. Or what are you suggesting, that we should cancel our preorders?

Have you even read what my stress test was? It was simply normal movements, only I tried different arrays of them, I sound like a broken record, but people keep skipping my posts. Rotating in circles, quick changes in direction, maneuvers in fighting games, etc. All of these cause friction and more flakes peel off with each maneuver.

Did you not read my post? At worst it's a problem that is easily fixable. And per your comment on users, do you have data concerning DS4 sales, and the percentage of complaints? Because I'd love to see them.
Even if SONY offers to replace them, it's a hassle. Hell, MS gets shit on each time they screw something up, and honestly this doesn't sound like something that should be downplayed or dismissed. Hopefully it's not a widespread manufacturing issue and gets fixed ASAP.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Original DS2 had this problem where whatever adhesive they had would congeal and get gross after a while if you left it exposed to air. DS3 had a similar problem, but to a much less notable degree (but then it had those awful triggers). Doesn't really surprise me that DS4 sticks have a problem as well.

I don't really know why people are acting like it's bias or gross gamers, necessarily (though those sort of people certainly do exist).

Also, just so nobody accuses me of being biased (ugh): Xbox 360 has triggers that get squeaky after a while (usually right trigger), and thumbsticks that become slightly less springy -- enough that it can throw you off. Gamecube controllers used to straight up just break and stop working... and remember having to wring the controller to get the b-button to work?

Anyway, first adopter rule has never burned me!

Controllers break, it happens over time, they get beat up. Listen to the sticks during a fighting tournament or something, it's absurd. It's expected that they will break down over the years... that being said in just a few weeks they're breaking down? Do you really think that's the same as old controllers being worn down?

quest

Not Banned from OT
The problem is concerning these controllers should not be showing wear so quickly. I am just hoping it is a bad batch and not a wide spread issue. I guess that is the life of an early adopter.

Trike

Whoa, DS4 can be used on PS3? Didn't know that. Neat.

Also I just to thank all of the beta testers early adopters that will power through the hiccups of the new consoles so that the later users can go in relatively painlessly.

Top Bottom