• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

ZOONAMI

There must be a bad batch of rubber out there. Alternative is you guys are abusing the crap out of your controllers ;) No problems with both of my DS4s.

Takuan

My left stick's begun to wear down, too. I've got a backup, so if Sony's replacing this at no cost I'll contact them about it.

GeoMatrix

Banned
There must be a bad batch of rubber out there. Alternative is you guys are abusing the crap out of your controllers ;) No problems with both of my DS4s.

only one of two controllers I own has gotten some left thumb stick issues. But it seems that the rubber can somehow be molded back into shape, weirdly. I play both equally so idk how this happened.

I'd love to know what y'all are doing with your controllers?

Some of them look totally disgusting!!! People must get really sweaty hands while playing.

Personally, both my controllers are still in perfect condition.

Playing them. Is this a trick question?

There is unequivocally an issue with the sticks, else we wouldn't have this big of a thread over it. I am video game collector and treat all of my games and equipment with the utmost care. My four year-old DS3 shows very little wear, yet my 3 month-old DS4 is smooth on the edges and top. Not to mention, the controller with my system already has developed stick drift on the left analog stick. It took my Xbox 360 controllers years to develop that issue.

And why no word on when NA gets the red and blue controllers?! I want some color in my palm, that's not LEDs shining.

sagat2036

Although i havent had the complete break down of the plastic material on the analog sticks i feel that they do wear unacceptably fast.

300 hrs on the sticks since launch day and ive had to buy the grip-its, analog pad covers, because it feels like my thumbs are slipping off the controller.

Also think the sticks need to go back to the convex or concave style. As it is now there is no where to "grab" when the texture is worn out.

turnbuckle

Some of them look totally disgusting!!! People must get really sweaty hands while playing.

Personally, both my controllers are still in perfect condition.

Playing games on them?

My left stick is starting to get a "grainy" look to it, and the bottom upper right side of the stick looks like it's being "sanded" against the controller. I haven't had a split or crack on the analog yet but it already looks heavily worn and I've put less than 1/100th of the time on it that I did my old DS3s.

My right thumb stick oddly enough looks pretty much new still. I mean, it's normal for that stick to have less wear since it's a secondary, camera type input but the difference between the sticks is pretty jarring.

Anywho, has anyone here used the Kontrol Freeks analog extenders? I had them for my PS3 and like the added length and grip, but hated how they dug into the controller. I've read from others that they don't have the same issue for the PS4. I'm thinking about picking up a new pair since I managed to lose my old ones.

http://www.amazon.com/KontrolFreek-2100-FPS-Freek-Vortex/dp/B00EZV6HHU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1389296874&sr=8-10&keywords=kontrol+freek+ps4

71EuO%2BNm3xL._SL1500_.jpg

A lot of people said that the Vertex model is great. I've read the comments section on KF's blog and people are saying the PS3 versions still work on the DS4. I will go ahead and order these and try to remember to post impressions.

- edit -

The comments section where people are saying these work for the DS4:

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/blog/ps4-is-out-fps-freeks-dont-fit-dualshock-4/#comments

Getting conflicting answers from Amazon comments, not sure if they are KF employees misrepresenting facts to get people to buy them again or what. Only one way for me to find out!

A little piece came off my right stick yesterday playing NHL14 on ps3. I'm pretty rough on controllers when playing NHL. Tiny little speck of black on my thumb but big enough for me to notice.

Can't believe we're still getting "what are you guys doing to your controllers" responses. We've already had early doubters eating crow. 36 (18) pages and people are still thinking it's a user problem?

Anywho, has anyone here used the Kontrol Freeks analog extenders? I had them for my PS3 and like the added length and grip, but hated how they dug into the controller. I've read from others that they don't have the same issue for the PS4. I'm thinking about picking up a new pair since I managed to lose my old ones.

I'm using the ones I originally had on my Sixaxis. They fit fine and work great. I recommend them even if your stick rubber is perfect.

turnbuckle

Can't believe we're still getting "what are you guys doing to your controllers" responses. We've already had early doubters eating crow. 36 (18) pages and people are still thinking it's a user problem?

I'm using the ones I originally had on my Sixaxis. They fit fine and work great. I recommend them even if your stick rubber is perfect.

Thank you, you've just convinced me to select 1-day prime shipping lol.

ZOONAMI

The rubber looks different on all the pics of messed up sticks vs. the sticks on my DS4. Maybe I'll post a pic later.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Can't believe Sony hasn't addressed this yet. Guess they turned into assholes again.

What do you want them to do? Make an announcement for what purpose? People who have a problem need to contact them or exchange at the place they bought it. Announcement or not.

Playing games on them?

My left stick is starting to get a "grainy" look to it, and the bottom upper right side of the stick looks like it's being "sanded" against the controller. I haven't had a split or crack on the analog yet but it already looks heavily worn and I've put less than 1/100th of the time on it that I did my old DS3s.

My right thumb stick oddly enough looks pretty much new still. I mean, it's normal for that stick to have less wear since it's a secondary, camera type input but the difference between the sticks is pretty jarring.

Playing them. Is this a trick question?

There is unequivocally an issue with the sticks, else we wouldn't have this big of a thread over it. I am video game collector and treat all of my games and equipment with the utmost care. My four year-old DS3 shows very little wear, yet my 3 month-old DS4 is smooth on the edges and top. Not to mention, the controller with my system already has developed stick drift on the left analog stick. It took my Xbox 360 controllers years to develop that issue.

And why no word on when NA gets the red and blue controllers?! I want some color in my palm, that's not LEDs shining.

I should have been more specific.

I'm talking about the ones ITT that look as if people give their controllers to their dogs as chew toys.

Grip wear on some controllers left stick is a known issue of course, but the state of some of them makes me question how people look after their stuff.

Also
I have a red, blue and black controller and I'm an EU peasant! nananananana,
I'm sorry :(

I should have been more specific.

I'm talking about the ones ITT that look as if people give their controllers to their dogs as chew toys.
Also
I have a red, blue and black controller and I'm an EU peasant! nananananana,
I'm sorry :(
This is also one of the issues. I don't even have a dog and I've got two holes opening up on one of my controllers. Just noticed it after some Resogun today. :-|
Yeah, well, I got to play with my PS4 a week earlier then you! Ah, hell... I just want a red controller. :'(

Takuan

Grip wear on some controllers left stick is a known issue of course, but the state of some of them makes me question how people look after their stuff.
Some people just have rougher skin in their hands, like fine-to-coarse grit sandpaper. I'm known for having baby-soft, Drakesque hands that are the envy of my female friends, and yet my stick shows a surprising amount of wear.

Interfectum

Can't believe Sony hasn't addressed this yet. Guess they turned into assholes again.

It took me 2 minutes to get a new DS4 controller from Amazon, for free. I'm guessing Sony is the same way and will get you a replacement controller quickly. So they are addressing it on a case by case basis, seemingly without question.

Novocaine

Noticed a couple of splits on my left analogue stick today, a little sad. I sort of knew it was going to happen, I had a Razer Onza which had the same type of rubber on the sticks and that wore down very quick. The sad thing is I have hardly used my PS4 and it's already started. Maybe it has something to do with the heat.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw a controller revision for the new slim model that will eventually release (or maybe even earlier)

Jack_AG

Banned
My left analog is damn near flat. I played a ton of Resogun the past few weeks tho. My hands are always bone dry, clean and a bit coarse. Never had an issue with any controller Ive used. Fuck, I had my Nostromo N52 since launch until they dropped support for Win7 when Razer bought it. Thing still works flawlessly at what, over a decade old? Really pisses me off.

I dont abuse my controllers!

the photos I posted of the controllers being all worn out just 4 weeks after release of the PS4 in Europe had been handled with care, but still they failed. It´s an obvious production error and Sony has not officially adressed this, but by contacting them, they dont give you any shit, they just say contact your dealer to exchange it. That means they know its an issue but are keeping silent about it.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
i have this problem on one of my controller's left stick.

It looks like where the crevice/dip is there is separation from where i press the most. it seems like there is an air bubble or it didn't adhere to the stick properly.

I don't think this is a widespread issue. I'm inclined to agree with the "bad batch" theory (although it could be a big batch). If Sony announces (what, exactly?), everyone is going to want to return their controllers. They are not denying the problem, just telling people to exchange through the retailer. Or, you can go through Sony, but then you're out a controller for some time.

TEH-CJ

Banned
My second controller and its having the same fucking issue. If this happens to my 3rd controller I will sell my PS4. I am not even joking.

MercuryLS

Banned
Sony seems to have really dropped the ball here, hopefully the quietly improve the controllers durability. I haven't had any issues with my two controllers and I hope it stays that way. I've been using them a lot, put it tons of hours into COD online and no real major wear and tear to be seen. Could it be a bad batch or are still people seeing these issues with newer controllers?

It's funny how ignorant people sound when they say it's due to misuse. I've been gaming all my life, and this is the first time analog sticks have degraded so dramatically for me. If you're not experiencing any issues, hats off to you, but please don't come in laughing at those of us who are.

rbanke

One of my controllers might be starting to peel on the left stick, Not sure if one of the kids scratched it though because I have like 200-300 hours of game time on my PS4 and this is the first sign. It also looks to be on the top front edge not the bottom where my fingers would be. Have people had much trouble RMA'ing them? I'm not too concerned because I have two controllers so I could afford to be without one if it does end up crapping out.

It's funny how ignorant people sound when they say it's due to misuse. I've been gaming all my life, and this is the first time analog sticks have degraded so dramatically for me. If you're not experiencing any issues, hats off to you, but please don't come in laughing at those of us who are.

It's weird, and it happens with most things. For reasons not understood by myself, some people like to put product manufacturers up on a pedestal as if they couldn't possibly do anything wrong (the inverse of this also seems to be true). I've seen people get irate when asking about problems with cars, iphones, various electronics,etc over the years and I never understand it. Sometimes products have issues, and usually those issues don't affect 100% of the people who own them and asking for resolution or more information from other people who have the same thing shouldn't be construed as some sort of attack on said product.

Odrion

Banned
I want to buy a Dualshock 4 quite badly for my PC but not sure whether I should given some of the issues reported in this thread.
You shouldn't regardless, there's reported latency issues and the drivers aren't up to par yet.

It stinks, I'm sick of using a 360 controller. Hopefully Microsoft will get off their asses and give us a Xbone controller receiver for the PC.

dubq

I'd say a vast majority of DS4 owners have no problems.

I'd say it was a bad shipment of controllers, personally. Myself and about 6 friends all have PS4s and we use them daily for a few hours (some for longer) each night playing multiplayer Killzone or Battlefield. No issues for any of us since launch.

viveks86

I want to buy a Dualshock 4 quite badly for my PC but not sure whether I should given some of the issues reported in this thread.

Wait it out for a couple more months to see if the new batches are suffering from the same problem. Pretty sure this isn't a design issue but a production issue.

Cheech

This is not scientific evidence, but I recently bought a new DS4 and it is borderline a new revision.

1. Coating on the sticks seems more robust. Better grip.
2. The area where the textured plastic meets the untextured plastic is totally flush and feels much more solid.
3. Triggers and bumpers are perfect. Much smoother action than my launch DS4s.

So there ya go. Good luck!

Duxxy3

So I've been Frankensteining one of my controller and I found out some things.

Xbox one analog sticks fit just fine in the dualshock 4, and imo are a large upgrade over the standard analog sticks.

The ebay replacement analog sticks are made of MUCH harder material, and should not have the issues that the stock analogs have. They don't have the same grip as the originals, but they are still good.

If you're willing to take apart your controller, these are your two best options.

Gadirok

So I've been Frankensteining one of my controller and I found out some things.

Xbox one analog sticks fit just fine in the dualshock 4, and imo are a large upgrade over the standard analog sticks.

The ebay replacement analog sticks are made of MUCH harder material, and should not have the issues that the stock analogs have. They don't have the same grip as the originals, but they are still good.

If you're willing to take apart your controller, these are your two best options.

Are they just as comfortable?

RedAssedApe

Banned
have any news outlets reported this as having personally happened to their editors outside of a "so and so gaming forum is reporting issues and here are the poster provided pics"?

if not that would lend credence to it being a bad batch and this being a non-widespread issue.

Pimpbaa

I've been using my DS4 since Dec 24th, playing hours every day since then. The only signs of wear is stick dust due to grinding against the sides(like every other controller). Am I safe?

Dahaka

Today I noticed the L1 of one of my DS4s to somehow stick. Contacted Sony for a replacement. Don't have thumb stick wearoff yet.

Top Bottom