• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSFix 2.3 taken down after DMCA complaint [Up: Was mistake; being resolved]

Durante

Durante, does DSfix replace or remove some content of the game? Do you re-use or process any of its code?
No. The most they could claim is the texture it includes to add the "Dsfix enabled" line to the startup screen. Which I now removed from "DSfix 2.3.1".

Let's see what happens. None of the code is based on anything in Dark Souls in any way, shape or form.

Dario ff

Banned
Sigh. This is another great example of how worthless legal departments typically are for copyrighted-material companies -- unless someone actively babysits them, they'll just randomly do idiotic shit like this to prove that they're getting paid for a reason.

I would harangue the BandaiNamcoEU twitter account, but it looks like they only have, like, 700 followers?
Pretty much. I'm sure the community team will hound on them as soon as they find out on social media.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to think of the reason Durante, it's very likely automated or clueless legal team. We've had to suffer through some of these ourselves already just recently. Just make some noise and I'm sure it'll get sorted.

EDIT: I guess the Debug thing flying around might be a source of confusion tho.

gogogow

I don't understand how Dropbox can delete something just because someone is claiming it's infringing copyright, without investigating whether it's true or not.

gngf123

What the absolute fuck is this? That can't even be legal, it's none of their work.

Also, I wouldn't even own DS on PC without it. It is fucking unplayable for me.

L Thammy

Wait, isn't this only for Dark Souls 1? Why would they do this now?
For one thing, so many people have DSFix that it should be stupidly easy to get anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dat tag change

dc116c922217ede2210c57237bd1c1ee.gif

Durante

I don't understand how Dropbox can delete something just because someone is claiming it's infringing copyright, without investigating whether it's true or not.
That's how the DMCA "works".

They didn't delete it though, they just no longer provide access to it. Dropbox behaved perfectly fine throughout this.

welp now that sort of re-borks the PC version then. no thanks

Durante you flew too close to the sun, when you should have just been praising it.

;)

gogogow

Wait, after all this time and even having released DS2 for the PC, did Bandai Namco ever fix the 720p resolution issue? I only ever played the game with DSfix.

Dinda

This better be some case of misunderstanding (from the bamco person who was responsible) than actually what Bamco wanted to do, otherwise this will be (right and hopefully) end in an PR desaster for them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Durante this may have been a false claim.

I uploaded the debug version on Nexus Mods and got a PM from someone as well.

qU4DSTm.png

Their grammar leads me to believe that they may just be a user trying to rile things up in the DS community.

Though if it is truly them, their claim on the Debug build holds a lot more validity than their claim on DSFix.

what in the actual fuck.

I'm almost thinking that people should return the game and ask for a refund only based on the fact that dsfix made it playable by reasonable standards

Bebpo

Banned
Hopefully this gets resolved quickly, otherwise Namco is tripping on some of the good will they've built up recently.

What? When has Namco ever had goodwill in the last bunch of years? Just because they're bringing more stuff to localize? They're a greedy corporate money-grubbing entity that bleeds out their fanbase for every cent they can get. Which, unfortunately, they can do because they're one of the only Japanese publishers still releasing games people want.

Grief.exe

Wait, after all this time and even having released DS2 for the PC, did Bandai Namco ever fix the 720p resolution issue? I only ever played the game with DSfix.

They removed GFWL in favor of Steamworks, but the frame rate and resolution locks are still in place.

For the record, the online implementation in the Steamworks update has been aces.

There needs to be some kind of law made that if a company is found to have used copyright claims to silence dissenting voices or users improving their product with no monetary gain or financial harm to the company, they have to pay a fine of 10k or more to the person they filed the copyright claim against.

Right now its like, why not? Someone makes a YouTube video about glitches in our game or about how our game is fucked. Just file a copyright claim. Why not? Nothing to lose!

Durante this may have been a false claim.

I uploaded the debug version on Nexus Mods and got a PM from someone as well.

qU4DSTm.png

Their grammar leads me to believe that they may just be a user trying to rile things up in the DS community.

Though if it is truly them, their claim on the Debug build holds a lot more validity than their claim on DSFix.
Interesting

dark_chris

Fucking Namco, pieces of shit. They think they know best but they don't know their way up a horses ass. Its like they want to sell shitty games.

For all the complaints about how Namco is overreaching, there's sure a lot of people here who seem to be reacting to this as if it was some kind of top-level decision.

Xater

Sigh. This is another great example of how worthless legal departments typically are for copyrighted-material companies -- unless someone actively babysits them, they'll just randomly do idiotic shit like this to prove that they're getting paid for a reason.

I would harangue the BandaiNamcoEU twitter account, but it looks like they only have, like, 700 followers?

Just bothe their UK account which seems to be more active.

Top Bottom