• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSFix 2.3 taken down after DMCA complaint [Up: Was mistake; being resolved]

MormaPope

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

emperor.jpeg

"You may be asking why we give a fuck about a mod doohicky that only makes the game better for consumers and doesn't cause us harm."

Emperor-Palpatine-Darth-Sidious-Star-Wars.jpg

"The Answer?"

emperor-palpatine-300x217.jpg

"We give so little fucks that we become stronger by giving less fucks about giving a fuck, we gain strength from taking fucks away, until we have no fucks left."

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Durante this may have been a false claim.

I uploaded the debug version on Nexus Mods and got a PM from someone as well.

qU4DSTm.png

Their grammar leads me to believe that they may just be a user trying to rile things up in the DS community.

Though if it is truly them, their claim on the Debug build holds a lot more validity than their claim on DSFix.
Apparently this company and person (1, 2) really exist. They are associated with Halycon, makers of all these shitty simulator games.

The grammar is still a mystery to me, though.

Dr Dogg

Wow. Just... wow. Some of the cease and desists notices served for ROM hacks and fan translations are kind of silly but I see the point in defending IP/copyright but this is just bonkers.

Nzyme32

This is utter bullshit of course, especially since DSfix does not include any of their material.

I'm actually amazed that they would do this. I mean WTF.

I am almost 100% certain they have got this confused with the "Debug exe" stuff for DS1. I guess everyone else will have to upload your work

Orayn

Apparently this company and person (1, 2) really exist. They are associated with Halycon, makers of all these shitty simulator games.

Yeah I'm not really sure why Halycon would be involved unless they're Bamco's distributor for retail copies in Germany or something. Even then, I don't understand why they would be the ones to file the takedown, much less as why they'd do it as "FDS File Defense Service."

So will they be DMCAing every DSFix release or does it apply to the whole project? I don't really know how the law works for this stuff.

I want to ask them to cease and desist the scam-tier simulators, pl0x.

This is idiotic. It's also more proof that companies are not reviewing the supposedly infringing files before submitting their takedown requests.

Sorry you have to deal with this, Durante.

Dascu

I am almost 100% certain they have got this confused with the "Debug exe" stuff for DS1. I guess everyone else will have to upload your work

Very plausible. Namco-Bandai didn't like the Debug stuff and the access to the internal game code. This is a hack and modification of the copyrighted content in some way, so I could see that being illegal or at least against the EULA. So perhaps they hired this FileDefense guy to trace down hacks and mods like that, and he mistakenly also took down DSfix.

Yudoken

I hope it's some kind of mistake.
Instead of appreciate and working together with Durante they doing this.
FUCK SCAMCO.
Hitting people fixing their game for free instead of doing it itself...
Those assholes better explain themselves.

Trouble

Banned
Wow. Bamco needs to apologize publicly and profusely for this. Durante has been doing their work for them. It's their loss if he stops fixing their lazy ass ports.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm not really sure why Halycon would be involved unless they're Bamco's distributor for retail copies in Germany or something. Even then, I don't understand why they would be the ones to file the takedown, much less as why they'd do it as "FDS File Defense Service."
It sounds like they do contract work for anyone.

How nice of them to do it before every lawyer on the planet leaves for XMas holiday. Good luck fighting back when every available email is on auto-responder until after the new year.

Deadstar

This is absolutely disgusting. Durante, your dsfix allowed me to play the game and have it actually look good. I probably wouldn't have bought it if your fix wasn't there. Whoever made this decision should be fired.

epmode

This is almost certainly a result of some bulldog lawyer trying to hide the debug EXE. There's no way that people who actually understand what DSFix is would want to shut it down.

I would not have bought Dark Souls PC without DSFix, BTW.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this is crazy... Probably been said a thousand times already, but they need to be sending thanks to Durante, not trying to stop him. There's no telling how many people bought the game on PC because of his hard work.

This is absolutely disgusting. Durante, your dsfix allowed me to play the game and have it actually look good. I probably wouldn't have bought it if your fix wasn't there. Whoever made this decision should be fired.

I'll go with this. I had no intention of buying the PC version until I heard of the fix.

Adnor

Banned
Well fuck you, Namco, you should spend more time fixing your shit ass port instead of charging for a patch to DX11 and shitting on the only person who cared enough to fix your game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not all professionals know how to write correspondence. Also, English probably isn't this person's first language.
He's a professional doing it for international companies. Maybe I just can't believe that's possible but it is, I don't know.

Verelios

Did you reach out to Namcos twitter? Bullshit of the highest ungrateful self-serving twat minded level if they're actually serving you.

I only bought DS for pc because of Durante's patch. That, and I had the PS3 version, but Durante's was still the GOAT.

Orayn

It was Namco that seemingly contracted this guy to work his bullshit. I wonder if was because of the Debug build...

Makes sense that they'd want to clamp down on that since it potentially allowed for MP cheating, they just used an overly aggressive searching method to find it and caught DSFix by mistake.

Top Bottom