• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSFix 2.3 taken down after DMCA complaint [Up: Was mistake; being resolved]

Corpekata

Banned
Y'see, it's actually that you're violating their creative intentions. They want you to experience the game at 720p, that's the way it was designed. Increasing the resolution is desecrating the artist's intent.

Other conspiracy: Clearly this means Scholar of the First Sin is coming with a DX11 version of Dark Souls, which is why they migrated the game to Steam so there would be an upgrade path and they want to dissuade new buyers from in any way visually enjoying the game instead of buying a new version.

I'm actually waiting for the other shoe to drop on this horse shit and for it to be a patch for the updated steam version that incorporates the fix.

That would be SO special.

Dambrosi

Banned
This is probably just a stupid error. Now that Namco Bandai knows about it, it'll get fixed
eventually

I think they quietly acknowledge Durante's contribution to their profits, even if they won't admit it for obvious reasons, and they'd be foolish to bite the hand that feeds them.

I've actually seen people defending the port saying that.
No you haven't, don't lie. Nobody's that dumb.

Adnor

Banned
Y'see, it's actually that you're violating their creative intentions. They want you to experience the game at 720p, that's the way it was designed. Increasing the resolution is desecrating the artist's intent.

I've actually seen people defending the port saying that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I have to believe that NB just sent an order to pull all Dark Souls related .exe files, and DSfix accidentally got caught up in the stream.

Nevadatan

i also believe this is an automated file complain. i hardly believe bamco is on a witch hunt for the debug build, i got it on the gfwl removal patch, they simply doesnt give a s*** about it (i they did, all they have to do is issuing a new update that rule out the debug version out the multiplayer,) (can i use swear words? not sure)

btw, who handled the Steamworks port? Team Aces? or From itself?
also i love Durante's new tagline

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hate to look at this differently than most, but if this is a sign of a DS1 Remaster than I'm excited.

Fuck that. Fix the game you released before even thinking about releasing an "upgraded" one. I doubt it's happening either way.

RPGam3r

Why they didnt patch in resolution options when they released the steamworks patch is a mystery. For them to do this is fucking stupid.

I understand the frustration, but as a gamer who focuses on consoles there could be a silver lining in here.

Nevadatan

except when theres a way to unlock the game's FPS right into the Debug Version. (not resolution but you can argue that locked 30fps is also "the way it was designed")

Durante is literally the reason why thousands of people bought the botched PC version in the first place. They should be writing them thank you letters or offering him an actual position on a team.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Other conspiracy: Clearly this means Scholar of the First Sin is coming with a DX11 version of Dark Souls, which is why they migrated the game to Steam so there would be an upgrade path and they want to dissuade new buyers from in any way visually enjoying the game instead of buying a new version.
That's my guess. I'd probably buy an updated version of DS on PS4.

Corpekata

Banned
except when theres a way to unlock the game's FPS right into the Debug Version. (not resolution but you can argue that locked 30fps is also "the way it was designed")

A debug version is sacrilegious. I do not believe it exists. Surely the mighty Creative Vision would not allow it to exist.

I understand the frustration, but as a gamer who focuses on consoles there could be a silver lining in here.

There's got to be some award for jumping in a thread and finding a way to port beg a port that was successfully begged into being ported in the first place.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

No, there isn't. The 60fps option in debug runs the game at 2x speed.

RPGam3r

There's got to be some award for jumping in a thread and finding a way to port beg a port that was successfully begged into being ported in the first place.

I don't think I'm port begging as much as I am just commenting on the potential. Plenty of people already stated their anger and while this is crappy, I thought I could at least say something different.

I'm not familiar with DSFix or the PC port of Dark Souls for that matter.

Can someone give me a rundown?

Dark Souls PC port was trash (In what way?)

OP made DSFix (what did it fix)

Namco claimed copyright infringement?

How did Namco make money off DSFix? Were they shipping in with updated versions of Dark Souls?

How did Namco make money off DSFix? Were they shipping in with updated versions of Dark Souls?
0 - Sure.

1 - The only options that could be changed were motion blur and anti-aliasing. The game was locked at 1024x720 at 30fps.

2 - DSFix allowed the resolution to be changed, the framerate to be unlocked, added a bunch of different ambient occlusion methods, allowed higher res texture mods, in addition to some other features.

3 - Yes.

4 - EDIT: v I guess it could be interpreted as them making money off of DSFix, but it didn't ship with the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Dark Souls on PC was locked to 720p and either 15 or 30fps with no graphics options.

DSFix allows any resolution (1080p, 1440p, 4K), a framerate unlock another user contributed (so 60fps), anti aliasing, Depth of Field modification, multiple types of SSAO, boot logo skip, UI removal/resizing, custom texture replacement, borderless fullscreen mode, etc etc etc.

It basically made Dark Souls the competent PC port it deserved to be.

Namco made money because without Durante's work, the number of people who would have bought the game would have been SIGNIFICANTLY less. A huge portion of the success is DSFix. It's the difference from any time someone asking "Should I get this?" getting an answer of "No, it's basically broken" or "Yeah, there's this incredible mod that makes it fantastic."

Vitor711

This is madness. You literally are the main reason people bought the original Dark Souls on PC.

No matter how great the game, the inability to run it above 720p would have made it a no-go for the vast majority of the hardcore PC gaming crowd - the exact intended target audience of the game.

THIS IS F*CKING CRAZY. Are Namco that short-sighted? I don't care if First Sin has a remaster of DkS 1, you don't shit on the one reason you even have a PC audience in the first place.

DkS2 was a great port BECAUSE of Durante. They took all his criticism on board, he then eulogized the quality of their work on major sites (PCGamer) and gave them even more exposure. This has to be a mistake, right?

Dark Souls on PC was locked to 720p and either 15 or 30fps with no graphics options.

DSFix allows any resolution (1080p, 1440p, 4K), a framerate unlock another user contributed (so 60fps), anti aliasing, Depth of Field modification, multiple types of SSAO, boot logo skip, UI removal/resizing, custom texture replacement, borderless fullscreen mode, etc etc etc.

It basically made Dark Souls the competent PC port it deserved to be.

Namco made money because without Durante's work, the number of people who would have bought the game would have been SIGNIFICANTLY less. A huge portion of the success is DSFix. It's the difference from any time someone asking "Should I get this?" getting an answer of "No, it's basically broken" or "Yeah, there's this incredible mod that makes it fantastic."
ah ok. man thats pretty vile.

After they finally ditched GFWL I was going to buy Dark Souls for the Winter Steam sale. But this is absolute bullshit. They just lost a sale.

Well this is fucking bullshit. I almost could believe that they were trying to takedown the debug exes but man, fuck Namco Bandai

Grief.exe

After they finally ditched GFWL I was going to buy Dark Souls for the Winter Steam sale. But this is absolute bullshit. They just lost a sale.

DSFix is still available via alternate host, so don't let that affect your decision.

I made a low level character specifically for sunbroing with a bit of pvp on the side.

Sayah

If Namco wanted to go all out with this, they would have done it a long time ago, not two years later. I think it's just the company's Germany branch that has made a mistake. Or there might have been a mixup because there's clearly no case here as far as any infringements go.

Just wait for a company response (and that's if they care enough to give a response) before jumping to conclusions. Or as the Dropbox message suggests, counter that DMCA notice through the form Dropbox provided and identify that it's a mistake on Namco Germany's part. Not much else to say there. Mistakes happen.

lol @ people overreacting and displaying all this vitriol.

gogosox82

What in the actual fuck is this? I literally couldn't get Dark Souls to run without dsfix because it would crash every time without it. Hopefully this is just some horrible mistake that Bamco will correct.

Inskipp

If Namco wanted to go all out with this, they would have done it a long time ago, not two years later. I think it's just the company's Germany branch that has made a mistake. Or there might have been a mixup because there's clearly no case here as far as any infringements go.
I'm willing to believe this is the case, I don't believe this to be a single-minded decision on behalf of all BN.

Let's just hope they do make a response, since this situation is generating a lot of unnecessary tension.

E: Did a little digging, apparently this might have been some mixup with the recent debug-mode leak. There was also this post on NexusMods, where the debug mode also got leaked:

qU4DSTm.png

Top Bottom