• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSFix 2.3 taken down after DMCA complaint [Up: Was mistake; being resolved]

Backlogger

Good news: everything's ok guys!
I just called Volker Rieck from FDS File Defense Service. They were indeed hired by Bandai Namco, but not the germany division, but the US Europe one, to take down all the debug mode patches.

Dutante's DSfix was not part of the plan!
Mr. Rieck is currently writing emails to Namco and dropbox to clear everything. Durante is allowed to reupload the patch, there is nothing wrong with it.

Mr. Rieck was nice and took the time to explain the situation to me. I am currently on the phone, so I might add a bit more information when I come home in a few hours.

edit: also shame on the guy who send him a mail full of threats. He was a bit disturbed by that.

edit2: It was Bamco Europe who was asked by Bamco Japan, not US. Misremembered that, sorry!

Great news

Grief.exe

I just called Volker Rieck from FDS File Defense Service. They were indeed hired by Bandai Namco, but not the germany division, but the US Europe one, to take down all the debug mode patches.

Mr. Rieck is currently writing emails to Namco and dropbox to clear everything. Durante is allowed to reupload the patch, there is nothing wrong with it.

Mr. Rieck was nice and took the time to explain the situation to me. I am currently on the phone, so I might add a bit more information when I come home in a few hours.

edit: also shame on the guy who send him a mail full of threats. He was a bit disturbed by that.

edit2: It was Bamco Europe who was asked by Bamco Japan, not US. Misremembered that, sorry!

I figured it was a mistake.

Good work Chariot.

Pardon my ignorance but what is ENB?

Direct X injector similar to DSFix or SweetFX. Adds in things like depth of field, AA, and other effects.

Dark Souls II, Skyrim, GTA IV are all famous for their ENB mods.

I figured it was a mistake.

Good work Chariot.

Direct X injector similar to DSFix or SweetFX. Adds in things like depth of field, AA, and other effects.

Dark Souls II, Skyrim, GTA IV are all famous for their ENB mods.

Oh damn where can I find the files for this and is it a pain in the ass to install?

So sanity prevailed. DMCA complaints seem like a blunt instrument typically used by people that don't have a full understanding of what's going on.

CHC

Man that's good to hear, I guess you get what you give in terms of politeness. Also, who sent the threats haha? Some people really need to learn human interaction 101....

Huge relief regarding DSFix, it did seem like a mistake from the get go.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
They should have made sure of that the company they contracted was gonna make a good job, or make sure they were competent enough to no fuck it up. They were acting on their name, Namco allowed it, so is their responsability when they fuck it.

Also DSFix, was one of the pillars of the success of Dark Souls on PC, it was featured on many websites (Kotaku comes to mind) and is highly unlikely that not even the EU or US offices aren't aware even in the slightest of that fact. So, yeah I expect Namco to know the work of Durante and make sure is not touched.

Completely missed the point of the guys reply.

And yes, some of the reactions on here were far overboard for something that was clarified in short order. If real legal action was threatened, then I can see where some of the animosity would be warranted. A takedown notice and temp suspension of an account doesn't really rise up to that though.

Gbraga

Thankfully everything was sorted out and it was only a mistake, but still, they should have specifically told them to ignore DSfix. It's not just "a harmless mod", it was the reason why many people bought the game in the first place.

It's one thing to make a mistake over, say, playstation button prompts (and I really love that mod, don't get me wrong), but the one thing that not only fixes the port but actually makes it fantastic and waaaay above average? That's just absolutely ridiculous.

Wow I missed a big chunk of this, but sorry you had to deal with this bull Durante. The ability to just strike and withhold content on whim (without actually being proven of anything) is crazy.

Wish you the best!

rbanke

I'm glad to see this worked out but it always troubles me when I see problems solved because the person affected has a level of popularity. It makes me wonder what happens when someone does not have a platform to protest on (or be heard). If Durante was not as famous as he is these days would this still be resolved as easily? I'm always glad when it works out, but its still a bit scary to think what happens to people with no leverage against DMCA stuff.

teiresias

Too bad this thread was nothing but mindless calls for blood over what was most likely a mistake from the get go. Very irrational reaction from most of you ITT.

Disagree, a private citizen making a mistake like this against a company would likely get sued into oblivion after the fact even after fixing it. Individuals cannot, and should not, go lightly on corporations or legal representatives that make errors that affect others' property through what some consider a bad law to begin with.

If they don't want to be seen as either A) making unwarranted takedown notices or B) unable to actually vet what they're asking to have taken down, then they need to not make these mistakes and need to be called out for doing so - this is particularly true if Namco is going to hire some law firm that bills itself as being "experts" on DMCA law and getting files removed from the internet.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think what the debug build is should be clarified. It seems like people think that it's just a cheat mode or something. FROM accidentally pushed a developer build to Steam which allows access to the Debug menu. This means you as the player can do things like control enemies, teleport yourself to locations, give your self all items, load TONS of premade cosplay builds (All of hte NPC character have a simple option you can toggle to make your character become them, stats and items and all), host private lobbies to ensure only you and a friend link together (me and Illusorywall were able to learn a TON about Vagrants this way), fight bosses while playing as bosses.

A lot of this stuff does carry online (infinite health, stamina, no death, etc) but stuff like playing as a boss character does NOT carry online. Any NPC you control while in someones world, or while they're in your world only you see the effects of. To them, all they see is your characters body teleporting back and forth.

There seems to be one exception known of (possibly more) and that's the Hellkite Drake. BUT, the only reason it's an exception is that one of it's attacks is fire, which when generated hurts anything, not just a specific enemy type.

To describe the Debug build as simple "something that lets you cheat" is selling it seriously short. Users have learned a BUNCH of new stuff about the in and outs of the game, have been able to do awesome videos like player controller Artorias vs Manus, and it is just one more step to make a game with a huge amount of time/value to offer - offer even more.

This couldn't happen without the debug build.
http://a.pomf.se/icphxa.webm

BTW I thought that the debug didn't allowed you to go into online mode and invade or getting invaded?

It does. You can even swtich to being something like the Hellkite drake and roast your invader.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So it was a mistake, then? Oh Bamco...

sfyY8Xd.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
host private lobbies to ensure only you and a friend link together (me and Illusorywall were able to learn a TON about Vagrants this way),

Dark Souls "NUUUU I DUNT WUNT DUT" fanbase: [x]Toldasaurus-Rex

If it's in the debug menu, it's possible for From to do this in a (whatever) Souls 1/2/3/4 as an OPTION for the player to turn on/off for the sake of being able to co-op. Same with invasions.

No excuse of "BUT THAT'S NOT 'LORE'!" will let From get away from that.

Chariot

Bamco employee calling the company Bamco.

Nice.
If you referring to me (which I assume, since we still have no word from Bandai Namco), I am not an Bamco employee, just a guy with a phone. Just want to clarify that, some media outlets already stating what I wrote as fact without waiting on official word or at least telling their readers that the source is only backed by itself so far. I know that I am telling the truth, but I doubt that any of the media outlets know that too.

Well, that's good. I'd hope they'd be less trigger happy about their takedown notices in the future, but it's very unlikely to happen. If a file from someone gets taken down which doesn't cause a part of the internet to blow up it would probably still stay down.

Believe me, if you saw my blog comments before I approve them you'd know it's more than one.

Should you post an update on your blog with the update that the takedown situation was accidental then? I had no idea anything had happened until just now when I happened to notice the thread title update here, and your blog is probably a little more visible than this thread.

epmode

If you referring to me (which I assume, since we still have no word from Bandai Namco), I am not an Bamco employee, just a guy with a phone. Just want to clarify that, some media outlets already stating what I wrote as fact without waiting on official word or at least telling their readers that the source is only backed by itself so far. I know that I am telling the truth, but I doubt that any of the media outlets know that too.

Sounds like game jounalists in need of some ethics.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dark Souls "NUUUU I DUNT WUNT DUT" fanbase: [x]Toldasaurus-Rex

If it's in the debug menu, it's possible for From to do this in a (whatever) Souls 1/2/3/4 as an OPTION for the player to turn on/off for the sake of being able to co-op. Same with invasions.

No excuse of "BUT THAT'S NOT 'LORE'!" will let From get away from that.

It's not a direct "Connect with x player" thing. It's just that Dark Souls uses lobbies and you can just find one that's empty at the time and have yourself and your partner join it.

Chariot with phone saves day, shocking the world.

Bravo.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Disagree, a private citizen making a mistake like this against a company would likely get sued into oblivion after the fact even after fixing it.

This doesn't make any sense. If a citizen brought some sort of copyright claim against a company, I'm sure they have recourse to (likely) get it tossed out, or defended.

If they don't want to be seen as either A) making unwarranted takedown notices or B) unable to actually vet what they're asking to have taken down, then they need to not make these mistakes and need to be called out for doing so - this is particularly true if Namco is going to hire some law firm that bills itself as being "experts" on DMCA law and getting files removed from the internet.

Being copyright experts and "code" experts are two different things.

There are legit reasons to be annoyed by copyright claims, and DMCA; this situation isn't one of them.

teiresias

This doesn't make any sense. If a citizen brought some sort of copyright claim against a company, I'm sure they have recourse to (likely) get it tossed out, or defended.

And then the corporation would likely turn around and sue for damages in millions of dollars.

ANDS said:
Being copyright experts and "code" experts are two different things.

There are legit reasons to be annoyed by copyright claims, and DMCA; this situation isn't one of them.

They'd better be "code" experts if they're in the business of filing DMCA takedown notices on source code housed on cloud services.

I knew this would be just a mistake, that some guy accidentally took it down without knowing what it was. So much uproar and threats (not from GAF but looks like the guy got e-mail threats) over a simple error.

Durante

How exactly is the fact that someone can take down an arbitrary non-infringing file without any consequences to them not an indictment against the DMCA?

Permanently A

every single time. every single fucking time there is an issue with gaming someone has to go and do this shit. What the hell is wrong with these people? it doesn't make gamers look good and it certainly doesn't get you what you want. fuck

Top Bottom