• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Dual Game Boy" ?

king zell

Babel Fish Translation

"DGB" pour "Dual Game Boy" ?

Nintendo launched the last 19 Mars to Japan a procedure of deposition of marks, this time, it s'agit of 9 initial made up of 3 letters which could be used to camouflage the choice of the manufacturer for what final name of Nintendo DS (which is currently the provisional name of the portable console), in all the cases, one notices the presence of 'G' and 'B' certainly for Game Servant boy, the third letter varies. 'DGB' for example designer 'Dual Game Boy' could;.

- DGB
- EGB
- GBD
- GBE
- GBN
- GBY
- TGB
- WGB
- XGB

http://www.jeux-france.com/news4891.html

jarrod

Banned
Heh, who wants to bet this thing's actually called 'GameBoy DS' come fall 2004? I think all the positive press has given Nintendo a bit more confidence in the project...

I think you might be right. The hugely positive reacion could very well have caught Nintendo by surprise. It was certainly a far cry from what most here expected, and pretty much everyone else as well.

I'm betting that the E stands for Evolution, I think Game Boy Evolution has a nice ring to it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
KingGondo said:
Nintendo would be stupid not to call the DS "Game Boy (something)". It's a KILLER brand name.
True, but if something goes wrong and the DS is a flop, bam -- there goes Nintendo's most successful IP they have. It's a very tricky situation.

Myself, I'd keep the Game Boy name off of the DS. It might be a little confusing since the unit has GBA compatibility, and it also might lessen the DS' sales a bit if GBNext comes out too soon, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, that way they can still maintain their "third pillar" line of thinking and not have to eat their words. ^_^

jarrod

Banned
I think if Nintendo does want to add DS to the GameBoy line, they need to throw in a Z80 so it can play old GB/GBC games too. Or at least have hardware emulation of the Z80 via the ARM9.

Tellaerin

Nintendo could select a name for the system that evokes the Gameboy line in peoples' minds without calling it a Gameboy--'Virtual Boy' is a good example. It suggests something similar to a Gameboy, but differentiates it from that brand. Perhaps call it 'DualBoy' or something...

Ranger X

Again things will unfold as i thought... The DS made a good impression enough and it's a machine with alot of possibilities for gameplay. Of course it's going to be called GameBoy something!! And yes it will be the successor of the SP and yes it will slowly take over it beneficiating of it's userbase.

The only thing i hope is that Nintendo stops this insane robbery of getting us a new portable each year and a half. They really seem to create a patern here...

arter_2

hmm look the sp is just a revision just like the gameboy pocket you dont have to buy them if u want a regular gba still plays the game. and well the gba line is like 4 years old soo i think it maybe time to update. Also with sony entering the market they have to compete u dont want them to fail and lose all that market share do u cuase that would be bad buisness and nintendo is sorta hurting.

Let's just remember that the GC's model number is DOL and the original GB's was DMG. And those systems didn't end up getting called the Dolphin or the Dot Matrix Game.

Ranger X

Whatever we say.... if Nintendo announce the GBA2 or whatever another gameboy in 2006, it's going to be set for me --- it's a pattern and screw them.

Whether or not Nintendo releases the 'successor to the Game Boy' in two years or whatever depends on how well the DS does. If it doesn't take off, expect a more traditional handheld. If it turns out to explode at retail, why would they cannibalize their own sales?

Ranger X

Nintendo aren't stupid. There's a chance Sony may do good with the PSP. It's clear that they needed a new machine soon. Law of competition. I doubt they did planned this or to rob you or kill the SP soon.... but well, there's unexpected happenings sometimes ;)

And with the DS, Sony just can't take over soon. The PSP will do good i guess and probably enough to stay and be the first true competitor of the Gameboy brand but the userbase of Nintendo is for now an untamable beast and will lead the DS to success.

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
The only thing i hope is that Nintendo stops this insane robbery of getting us a new portable each year and a half. They really seem to create a patern here...
People upgrade their cellphones, pdas, MP3 players and many other handhelds every couple years (sometimes annually) so why not their GameBoys? Hell, didn't Kutaragi say something about varying PSP models in the near future? Why should handheld game platforms be held to a different standard than the rest of the market?

Ranger X

Nothing wrong Jarrod. I'm just used to be console gamer and my reality is ok when it's a 5 years gen style. I wish there would be competition in the handheld market so it would stabilise it and create "generations of handheld" ala home console world.

and IMO, updating your other thingnies as fast as each year or too is being robbed.
I feel that electronic stuff should not last so short. Make better products but less often.

Top Bottom