• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Sense and Astro's Playroom Impressions

Bo_Hazem

Banned
VIDEOS

TEXT

TWEET

Seems like it is a real next-gen experience.

✅ Next-gen games with raytracing.
✅ Next-gen true, raytraced 3D audio.
✅ Next-gen controller.

↪ PLAY HAS NO LIMITS ↩

1*jvZXq7Lr-gcUMfnvQ5QC0A.gif

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This controller looks to be the biggest step up for gaming outside of just shinier graphics in a while.

I have to think Xbox will have to put out a remodeled Series S/X contoller to catch up to the new standard. Similar to how the original PlayStation added analog sticks to create the DualShock after seeing the success of the N64's analog stick.

I'm actually really surprised by how well received the controller and it's new features are. It's kinda of the thing I wished we would hear, but I'll need to get my own time on it to really know.

Edit: I'm actually pretty surprised by Giant Bombs impression of Astro's Playroom and the DualSense.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

its like bragging about the rumble function when that switch laucnh game launched where you could feel marbles and then I never got that same feeling in any other game again...

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

USGamerNet :

The most amazing thing about the #PS5 so far is the wild #DualSense controller, It feels like the mid-point between the DualShock4 and Xbox controller, but the haptics and Adaptive Triggers are mad impressive. The first time a trigger fights you, you'll believe.
Jason Schreier :

The PS5 controller is wild — I’ve been playing Astro’s Playroom (the game that comes with the system) and the combo of rumble/haptic feedback/adaptive triggers feels more “next gen” than any graphical improvements we’ve seen yet. More to come in my review closer to launch
Very possible that all of the bells and whistles turn out to be gimmicks that most games don’t use, but this is my first impression!
SkillUP :

Let me put it this way: there are two next-gen consoles releasing next month, but only one next gen controller. The #DualSense is that good. #PlayStation5

Wow

Allforce

The trigger lock stuff sounds really cool but what dev is going to implement that nowadays if you're doing a multiplatform shooter?

Everything is cross-play anymore so CoD or any other big shooter isn't going to utilize it since it can't be used on every platform. Have to basically see what 1st party devs have in store I guess to utilize it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
VIDEOS

TEXT

TWEET

Seems like it is a real next-gen experience.

Astrobot's Playroom needs to get it's reviews/metacritic. Looks wonderful.

Grinchy

Banned
Supposedly even the new COD supports the new controller features. That'll be a good sign if a launch COD game actually uses it, but we'll see what it looks like long term.

diffusionx

Gold Member
when you got the most jaded journos (gb guys) praising this thing u know it mus be very special,so its seems microsoft desition to stick with the old pad its gonna backfire them in a big way

I was honestly a bit surprised MS went so boring... even if they just added back paddles it would have been very popular.

I was honestly a bit surprised MS went so boring... even if they just added back paddles it would have been very popular.

There's an issue with that theory.

8f4a9b96-5066-4032-b5f2-0e9fabcec71f.jpg

That's why the regular controllers don't have paddles in the back. With PlayStation there's a possibility they might make an accessory that will add them to the controller. Think of a back button accessory for the DualSense.

dano1

A Sheep
Sounds good, but how many developers will put extra work into this? I mean this gen Sony was absolutely dominating and the touchpad was nothing more than a big button in 99% of the games and the internal speakers, were they even used in non Sony games? I don't expect Sony to be that dominant again, so i'm curios how often we will see it.

It will be used in the new Spiderman game also.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Uses DualSense Adaptive Triggers - Game Rant

dano1

A Sheep
when you got the most jaded journos (gb guys) praising this thing u know it mus be very special,so its seems microsoft desition to stick with the old pad its gonna backfire them in a big way

Well it’s not like they knew Sony was going to have these features when they started making there new controller.

Well it’s not like they knew Sony was going to have these features when they started making there new controller.

I am shocked by the impressions so far, but no one adopted microsofts rumble triggers so they cannot be the one to push this forward.

If the demand is there, MS likely plan to mimic the PS5 solution so that it is easy for devs to port over rumble in a refresh of Elite and standard controllers in a year or so. Without final specs, it makes no sense to implement something Day 1 as they arent the market leader. It went to waste last gen.

Meanwhile, Sony dropped rumble in a highly embarrassing move that was corrected ASAP. Glad they have a win for once and hope it is everywhere eventually.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Well, the Switch has haptic feedback, as does virtually every phone sold these days, so it's not a huge stretch to bring it to regular video game controllers.

Isn't this tech old, is this not what Xbox already does with their controllers since last gen? I personally think both companies shoudl've just added paddles to their standard versions, that would've been an actual game changer.

The Xbox controller doesn't have haptic feed back or resistive triggers. It does have rumble and impulse triggers though.

J jaysius am I wrong?

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Well, the Switch has haptic feedback, as does virtually every phone sold these days, so it's not a huge stretch to bring it to regular video game controllers.

Right, it’s not new tech but the VCAs in the dualsense are massive compared to what you see in joycons/phones. It sounds like a big enough difference to actually be meaningful if this many people are raving about it.

Shmunter

I suspect Dualsense features will get wide adoption. The tactile interaction it brings seems like a genuine immersion enhancement based on feedback.

I bet there is a deep library of tweekable profiles available via the api’s making implementation simple in time and effort.

I also suspect Sony will funnel devs into using it by essentially tying the API’s to the regular dualshock libraries making it almost impossible to ignore.

And thirdly, if people do indeed love it and devs roll out games without utilising it, there will be blowback, lazy devs etc. so getting away without support will be difficult.

Excited.

Ar¢tos

The trigger lock stuff sounds really cool but what dev is going to implement that nowadays if you're doing a multiplatform shooter?

Everything is cross-play anymore so CoD or any other big shooter isn't going to utilize it since it can't be used on every platform. Have to basically see what 1st party devs have in store I guess to utilize it.
Gun jam in game, can be implemented in any game , feeling it with the controller is a different story, but it won't give anyone an unfair advantage, so there is no reason to not implement it if the controller supports it.
If the SDK makes it really easy to implement, then devs will use it as a promoting feature to increase sales of the ps5 version.
If the install base keeps favoring the Sony console next-gen, then not using the console features might harm sales for a game.
Devs (publishers, actually) don't care about platform wars, they just want to sell as much as possible.

Last edited:

Elog

Really happy about all the very positive DualSense feed-back. Done right it will really change how the environment communicates with you as a player - seems like Sony has nailed it.

It's a home run.

Sony has pushed standard into next Generation.

You will be a complete fool to miss out on what they have done for the average player.
Much too early to tell.
From all the controller innovations we have seen over the years (mainly by Nintendo), how much has sticked?

In the end it's still the Dualshock layout we have had for over 20 years now on every controller by every console brand, and the rest is some gimmicky shit that's used in three to five games over the gen, and then forgotten.

Top Bottom