• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

Zoator

I actually wonder if this could be available as a game option implemented by developers. That is, if a developer is allowed to have their game shut off the light, then that could potentially be an in-game configuration option. It really should be an option at the system level, but oh well. Maybe in a firmware update.

Durante

I don't get why every shitty device has to have a useless bright-as-fuck LED these days. It is so annoying when you want to watch a movie in your darkened home cinema.
Agreed. People joke about the black tape, but I actually do that routinely on all kinds of electronics.

DBT85

I guess this is the kind of thing that happens when you plan to have the camera connected all the time and then you decide to remove it at the last minute
8f70c6ea.gif

Unlike those LEDs on the DS3 which you can turn off.

Should be able to turn it off though, nobody wants that on during a film.

Maybe it's configurable by devs.

vercity82

Why does it bother people so much its like when tvs have a standbye light just a small issue the light bar is on the side of the pad you don't look at so for me personally it ain't no issue i charge between plays just like my mobile when i don't use :)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Agreed. People joke about the black tape, but I actually do that routinely on all kinds of electronics.

I do that as well. The worst are flashing lights on HDDs and routers.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How is the light useless? Look at every single GIant Bomb stream where they play on PS3 and how they can't figure out quickly which controller is player one and who is player two. And after 30 seconds they realize controller B is associated to a completely different PS3.

You mean the tiny ones on the front of the controller to indicate which player you are?
Guess what the colors mean.

Frodo

You genuinely think this is a big issue?

It is not a BIG issue, but it is annoying for sure. But not annoying enough to prevent me from buying a PS4, but annoying nonetheless. Though I'm not worried because there is no reason why this can not be patched soon.

glaurung

I see no problem with this. My TV screen does not reflect light anyhow.

DS4 light bar dimmer switch coming in PS4 firmware 2.4. Believe.

Sendou

Not to mention, the light is on the back of the controller. Nobody has explained to me how this 'the light tells you things about the game' is supposed to work when the light faces away from you.

You can the reflection from your glossy TV screen of course. Sounds like fun, right?

Jack_AG

Banned
It will be used in Killzone. Green - full health; Red - Low health
I'm not quite sure I will care, tbh. My hands are on my lap when I play and I won't be looking away from my screen and down to check my health. I play at my PC desk since I consolidated my gaming area so the controller is usually beneath my desk. Occasionally I'll get lazy and unlock the chair, lean back and prop my hands on the desk but that's not good posture for extended periods of time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think people are overestimating how bright it is. From the videos we've seen, it looks like a soft and not sharp light bar.

The most important part is (much like Move) that when playing and in full action, you won't notice anything like that. I recall the Move sphere being the same soft but apparent light as well.

On top of this, this is all pending on how you hold the controller lol

Kind of a silly thing to be detailing but everyone holds the pad differently. It may not even face directly on the TV or may be recessed lower than the TV itself so you will never even see or worry about seeing the reflection.

Surely it's up to the developers if it's actually lit, though. I shouldn't imagine - though time may prove me wrong on this - that many developers will have the light on for just no reason at all. If the problems with it always being on are obvious to the people in this thread, I'm sure they're obvious to the people making the game, too.

Didly

Banned
From every video I've seen, and from pictures, the bar doesn't look all that bright.

Doesn't seem like a big deal at all. Most of you won't see it, and if you do, that's only if it is hyper bright and you guys are playing Thief or something.

Sendou

I'm not quite sure I will care, tbh. My hands are on my lap when I play and I won't be looking away from my screen and down to check my health. I play at my PC desk since I consolidated my gaming area so the controller is usually beneath my desk. Occasionally I'll get lazy and unlock the chair, lean back and prop my hands on the desk but that's not good posture for extended periods of time.

It really is dumb. They tried too hard to justify not allowing DS3 controllers (for extra money of course) by adding useless gimmicks (lighbar, touchpad) to the otherwise good controller

offshore

Only bothered about how much this will adversely affect battery life. Though guess we'll never know until they give the option to turn it off and we can do a comparison.

DBT85

You mean the tiny ones on the front of the controller to indicate which controller # you're holding?

Yes they're exactly the same.

How else are you going to know what DS4 controller you are holding unless you have an enormous glowing light attracting moths?

I have asked Yosp about it during films and such.

mclem

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

She's okay with you playing with the television on?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I do that as well. The worst are flashing lights on HDDs and routers.

The blue light on my speaker controller is really bright. Like laser bright. If the light is like the Move controller then it will be a soft source but I'm trying to think about how you would hold the controller vs a Move. The only negative for me is that the controller will illuminate at night but this is hardly something will affect my life.

She's okay with you playing with the television on?

The TV is more than a flashlight compared to a strip on the pad lol

Oh, shit. I was gonna post about how I'm not fussed. Now I'm not sure.

That's literally the camera picking up the light bar with the effects in the demo of darkening the BG though. I'm gonna have to test this down the line when we get our hands on final HW.

Top Bottom