• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge - Features Trailer | PS5 (launches on January 26 for $199.99)

It's 240€ here, and not even a user replaceable battery.

I have no words.
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Most likely It will use the same shitty battery like the normal Dualsense.

As a Paxo User with a battery life of 2600mah this shit is a bad joke.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some 3rd party controllers coming out with Hall sticks so hopefully Xbox/PS soon follow but maybe this Edge controller will have someone make Hall modules

Quick rundown of Hall sticks (timestamped)

Tarin02543

I'd pay 240 euro if the d pad is a miniature clicky arcade stick (like neo geo cd but even better), it had cherry mechanical switches for the face buttons (even start and select) and some exotic magnetic tech for both analogue sticks.

Oh and a AA battery compartment (with optional li-ion insert) like the xbox series and uses wifi 6 for comms (even less lag than 2.4 ghz) with USB4/Thunderbolt for wired comms.

Oh and the housing would need to be a special metal alloy that is nice to touch.

SCB3

Speaking of PS5 controllers, are there any that use the Xbox Stick layout? My Wife struggles with the PS5 controller but its perfectly fine with Xbox ones

Iced Arcade

i thought the xbox elite controller price tag controller was a laughable price. I mean it still is but at least they aren't the only comedians now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:
I would snag one of these if I didn’t already have the scuf offering since launch.

I really wish 8BitDo would come out with a PS5 wireless controller like they have with the Pro2 for the switch. Extremely good build quality and has two back buttons which I like. Plus you can customize the profiles and dead zones via software

Lasha

If Hall Effect stick modules are made it will be a no-brainer, but it will be hard to get used to only 2 back buttons when I've used 4 for the past 5 years.

I'll probably wait for the V2 that will come out in a couple of years.
Even then, you could probably put those same sticks into two or more regular controllers for the price of one Edge. The price is outlandish.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Even then, you could probably put those same sticks into two or more regular controllers for the price of one Edge. The price is outlandish.
No you can't the stick modules for Edge are very different from any other controllers.

kyussman

I was about to jump in like many others and have a go at them for taking the piss at that price......then remembered this is a totally unnecessary item for most gamers that they can easily ignore.

Lasha

Have you seen the units on Edge? They're interchangeable. No soldering needs to be done to change them.

I'm aware. Once the sticks exist soldering them into an existing controller will be much cheaper than buying the edge sense + 2 new modules that cost at least 20$ each. Guilikit sells them steam deck modules for 15$ each which means the cost of parts is significantly lower.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm aware. Once the sticks exist soldering them into an existing controller will be much cheaper than buying the edge sense + 2 new modules that cost at least 20$ each. Guilikit sells them steam deck modules for 15$ each which means the cost of parts is significantly lower.
But they haven't done Hall Effect sensors for the Dualsense, yet, so... Also that would break warranty and many don't want to do that.

Lasha

But they haven't done Hall Effect sensors for the Dualsense, yet, so... Also that would break warranty and many don't want to do that.

Are you not following the conversation? Neither third parties nor Sony have released hall effect sensors yet. I'm saying that by the time Sony offers an upgrade there will also be third parties or OEM parts which can be installed. Installing those will be much cheaper because it's a trivial soldering job. Warranty is kind of irrelevant because you would just return a controller under warranty if it breaks modular or no.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Are you not following the conversation? Neither third parties nor Sony have released hall effect sensors yet. I'm saying that by the time Sony offers an upgrade there will also be third parties or OEM parts which can be installed. Installing those will be much cheaper because it's a trivial soldering job. Warranty is kind of irrelevant because you would just return a controller under warranty if it breaks modular or no.
Now, where did you read that I said anything bout OEM parts? I'm sure some china company will offer Hall Effect sensors for the Edge within 3 months after release.
If you break a haptic trigger on Dualsense and they can see you've opened it - for whatever reason, there's no warranty.

Lasha

Now, where did you read that I said anything bout OEM parts? I'm sure some china company will offer Hall Effect sensors for the Edge within 3 months after release.
If you break a haptic trigger on Dualsense and they can see you've opened it - for whatever reason, there's no warranty.

What point are you trying to make? Why would somebody send a controller that isn't under warranty to a third party repair shop when. They can send it to Sony? Why would you replace a functioning joystick at all? Warranty has nothing to do with what I wrote.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
What point are you trying to make? Why would somebody send a controller that isn't under warranty to a third party repair shop when. They can send it to Sony? Why would you replace a functioning joystick at all? Warranty has nothing to do with what I wrote.
The same point I started off with - the one you quoted... For most (non-modders) the Edge would be a no-brainer if it gets Hall Effect sensor modules.
Don't know why you're trying to go off-rails, but most (non-modders) would like to keep their warranty in case something goes wrong with their controller.

HTK

Banned
I get the argument that these pro controllers are expensive but it's been like that for years, its nothing new.

At least with DualSense Edge you're getting all those haptics along with being able to replace the entire L3/R3 module. So when you look at the competition I think this is a better value all around as you at least get more for your buck.

Top Bottom