• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense might have some great functionality, but what about it's build quality?

Kssio_Aug

My main concern about this controller is it's build quality. I hope in this regard it far surpasses the DualShock 4.

I have 2 controllers and they both gave me the same issue in the left analog stick, making the character to walk alone as if I was pressing it to a certain direction: the 1st one started to present the issue after a few years, but it got worse when I was playing God of War the first semester this year; then I bought a new one and 2 weeks ago it's showing the exact same problem while I play Spider-Man, making it hard to move precisely and sometimes even making a challenge to select something on the map.
(apparently what's called "drift")

In comparison, I have an X360 controller from 2010 that works perfectly well and that I used frequently all these years on PC (probably way more frequently than I used my DS4 controllers overall).

I have searched about this issue and found tons of reports about it. Some examples: #1 #2 #3 #4

I don't even care too much about the battery being quite short - I mean, that's annoying too but I can deal with it. But buying a new controller, at least for me, isn't that simple since it is quite expensive here in Brazil (and certainly many players of many different countries feel the same way).

That being said, my main concern about it is the build quality, specially of the analog sticks. I just hope we have more durable controllers!

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
It is indeed a concern for me. I'm sure Sony will have vigorously tested this, but time will tell. At the end of the day the components are made from plastic.

Shmunter

Good point, DS4 Call Of Duty sprint cancel has been the bane of my existence throughout the gen. Have been annual buyer of ds4 just to ensure crisp functionality.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm not too worried as my 3 Dualshock 4 have been pretty sturdy.
The only two problems I encounter are mostly due to my or my friends error since my girlfriend walked on when plugged so the micro usb is a bit wobbly now.
And the other problem (luckily same controller) is the R2 trigger not going from 0 to 255 but sitting top a 200/230 and that problem is on me.
When I tried to bash the skull of an enemy in VR but a cement wall reminded me that reality was still existing around me.
So the trigger hit the wall pretty hard and it is still working.It had since become my PC controller I tweaked it a bit in ds4 windows and the trigger is no longer a problem.
And I found out that I can use the same cable that was in place when my girlfriend walked on it and it doesn't move at all.

Spaceman292

Banned
I think it's down to luck honestly. All my 360 controllers broke. My old second-hand PS4 controller works flawlessly. My new PS4 controller has a problem with the left stick. Both my gamecube controllers are like new.

Fake

Those DualSense function already get my attention, but to be honest playing online I'll probably disable all.

I have here three Dualshock 4, two already have problems with the analog so I really hope the Dualsense improve the analog. For now I curious about the dpad quality and if is better than Dualshock 4.

sublimit

Banned
That's a rather low bar to surpass. When I think of DS4 I hears squeaky cheap plastic in my head.
Lol you might want to check with your doctor for that.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The DS4 was a very comfortable controller and almost everyone loved it. Its only issue was its battery life something that the Dualsense has improved significantly.The first generation DS4s also had issues with the rubber of their analog sticks but they improved its quality with the later iterations.

In the end every console and its controller are all cheap plastic toys.Some are better,some are worse but they are all cheap and plastic. If you want (and can afford) really premium things you need to change hobby.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's a rather low bar to surpass. When I think of DS4 I hears squeaky cheap plastic in my head.

Weird, I have that feeling with standard Xbox pads and PS3 pads, but DS4 feels way better.

I upgraded my Xbox pad to an Elite 2 and don't regret it, even if it was overpriced. That thing feels fuckin' premium.

Reactions: MrS
Lol you might want to check with your doctor for that.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The DS4 was a very comfortable controller and almost everyone loved it. Its only issue was its battery life something that the Dualsense has improved significantly.The first generation DS4s also had issues with the rubber of their analog sticks but they improved its quality with the later iterations.

In the end every console and its controller are all cheap plastic toys.Some are better,some are worse but they are all cheap and plastic. If you want (and can afford) really premium things you need to change hobby.
DS4 was the worst controller out of all console manufacturers last gen. Period.

I mostly game on a nice mechanical keyboard + mouse but for few games that I prefer controller as an input, I go for Xbox Elite model. Dual Sense is arriving in 2 days. I personally can't wait to try it out.

Fake

The DS4 was a very comfortable controller and almost everyone loved it.

I disagree with the 'comfortable' part. I can say right here that Dualshock 4 is one of the best controllers I have used, but if spend sometime playing games start to became uncomfortable because the DualShock 4 design vary between users hand size.
DualSense size maybe get a redesign in size target those problems with Dualshock 4 felling uncomfortable after playing games.
Thats my only complain about Dualshock 4 besides sometimes they have analog issues and need to trade, but this happens with pretty much every controller I had.

And Yes, I do believe Dualshock 4 is the most loved controller and I guess even DualSense will not beat him in that departament... at least not with that standart colors.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
I think it's down to luck honestly. All my 360 controllers broke. My old second-hand PS4 controller works flawlessly. My new PS4 controller has a problem with the left stick. Both my gamecube controllers are like new.
All my 360 + DS4 broke except 1.

Fake

My only controler that not broke was the Game Cube controller.

My NES, Mega Drive, N64, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers all broken after sometime. I have 4 Game Cube Controller and all are intact.

Last edited:
No issues still with the dualshock that came with my launch day PS4 Pro. Sure the new controller build quality will be fine 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I watched a few teardowns of the controller and one thing i don't like the look of is that little haptic motor spiral cog (the thing that dictates how much pressure pushes against the players finger). People will push too hard against it and strip the plastic teeth away making that functionality useless after a while.

Fbh

Only time will tell.
I've seen several people mention that it does at least feel higher quality than the DS4 but that doesn't say much.

Though to be fair I've been pretty lucky with my DS4's. Only my launch controller got the analog peeling issue, the 2 others I've gotten since, and which I've now owned for several years , are still working flawlessy

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The quality of controllers has gone way down over the last decade, I've gone through three Xbox One controllers (on PC) in the same time frame my old Xbox 360 controller lasted.

Both Sony & MS build obsolescence into these things so you need to buy more of them due to the big fat profit margin on them.

Sethbacca

I've never owned a pro controller before but i'd consider it if sony released one with all metal components that are modular and easily replaceable. That said I've never had a sony controller go bad on me, but i'm not some child who throws their shit when I lose either.

Tschumi

Re: ds4, i only get problems with joysticks when my connection fluctuates.. flashes red.. so i don't blame the controller for that.. I'm sure Dualsense is perfectly good. Tbh ds4 feels premium as all hell to me after ds3~

Griffon

I have no faith in this. The DS4 was a flimsy POS and I expect the DS5 to be just as bad.

My DS3 and DS2 are still working fine to this day.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Yeah the features sound great but I hope the build quality is better. I've seen a few reviewers with quite a bit of panel gap between the black and white halves.

Outrunner

Reviews say it feels like premium build. There is always a fake concern about non issues when it comes to Playstation 5 for some reason.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm not worried about build quality, controllers is where SONY doesn't make mistakes.

Kssio_Aug

Reviews say it feels like premium build. There is always a fake concern about non issues when it comes to Playstation 5 for some reason.
This isn't a fake concern, as you can see many players feel the same way. And it's not directly related to Playstation either. I have not mentioned the current Xbox controller cause I did not play that much with a XB1 controller this gen (sold my XB1 in 2017) even though I did not have issues with it when I played.

I hope both DualSense and the new Xbox controller are durable. But I have a special concern for DualSense given my bad experiences with DS4.

Last edited:
I had stick problems with one of my DS4 controllers before. However, I have a DualSence controller right in front of me and the build quality at least feels better than literally any other controller that I have held. Only time will tell if that means the sticks hold up though.

Birdo

Banned
Teardowns (Like Ben Heck's) have revealed that the DualSense uses the exact same analogue stick mechanism as the DS4. Literally the same parts.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
The drift seems to be a problem across all platforms this generation, including off-brand controllers...

Most controllers seem to use the exact same type of analog but likely from different manufacturers, so I wonder why it's so widespread.

And you know, they could make it so easy to fix if only the sticks weren't soldered into the board. You'd just have to open the controller and change this fucker:

new-alps-original-replacement-right-left.jpg

Would be a 10 minute fix if no solder. So why don't they do it?

I think it's on purpose, it's supposed to break so they can sell more controllers.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
My DS4 barely survived an entire generation which is probably over the product lifespan. My biggest issue is the battery but other than that it was great.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm curious about the same thing. I've gone through several PS4 controllers this gen. If it's not the USB mini port slowly breaking and refusing to charge, it's the buttons going bad, the sticks drifting, the L3/R3 going bad, etc.

Surprisingly I've never had a touchpad go bad.

Top Bottom