• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 vs Xbox One Controller comparison video

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It was very obvious in the stream of Blacklight that Machinima did. It was all off screen footage and you could clearly see the light the whole time.

Just checked that out. Yeah, that looks annoying. I'd be surprised if they can't do something about it such as lowering the power going to it so the light isn't as bright, or even just turning it off if you haven't got the PS Eye.

timlot

Banned
It was very obvious in the stream of Blacklight that Machinima did. It was all off screen footage and you could clearly see the light the whole time.

You also could see reflections of them playing the game too. I don't know what you can do with a screen that glossy.

It gets the 5.1 audio by having more expensive wireless tech: WiFi Direct. So it has way more bandwidth & much better latency than Bluetooth. You'll probably start seeing some kind of attachments besides headsets to the bottom: next-gen chat pad anyone?

Also, the XB1 controller has an infrared emitter in it to communicate invisibly with Kinect. Much better than DS4 since you don't have a crazy light shining off your controller. Kind of funny they include that light but then don't require the PSEye. So I guess PS4 owners are paying for something that they most likely will never use.

i'm gonna be so upset if they raise the price because of that LED!

Lucent

Agreed. They should have made it all matte black. The glossy plastic around the d pad and buttons is straight up stupid.

I gotta agree with this. I don't like having any glossy parts on my controllers if I can help it. Besides that, I love the controller's look. Gonna be annoying when I gotta clean that thing real good around the glossy parts.

Unless you can see the ambient glow from that light that's underneath the controller, that functionality is completely pointless, and a lame attempt to justify a part of the controller that lost it's dedicated functionality due to not having a PSEye in every box.

Not trying to attack the design of the controller (I think it's a great improvement over DS3), but you've got to admit... that's a pretty poor attempt to save face instead of admitting that the LED loses much of it's usefulness without PSEye.

I have to agree. I really wish that LED at least bordered around the touchpad. Would be so much more useful, both as visual feedback, and just for kicks.

Croyles

Both controllers look pretty good! More excited for the PS4 controller simply because it's the console i'm getting.

What's up with these controller videos and the incredibly thick English accents?

If it actually was an English accent it would be because they are from England! I know right? Considering it's a Welsh accent i'd hazard a guess it's because they are/were at some point from Wales.

Kind of like me asking why so many videos have people with American accents.

AzBat

I guess all the decal dealers on eBay can start making Playstation 4 Dualshock 4 Light Cover stickers...

AidLAsS.png

timlot

Banned
Both controllers look pretty good! More excited for the PS4 controller simply because it's the console i'm getting.

That's pretty much everyone's take when it comes down to it. My main point of contention was that the XB1 controller should not cost $60 dollars when you compare the features of the two.

AzBat

That's pretty much everyone's take when it comes down to it. My main point of contention was that the XB1 controller should not cost $60 dollars when you compare the features of the two.

Depends on the cost of the XB1's extra trigger rumble motors, infrared emitter & WiFi Direct tech versus PS4's touch pad, light bar & Li-Ion battery. Should be close though...

Satchel

Banned
Amazing that they're both SO different, yet both seem SO fantastic.

In terms of improvement over the predecessor, the DS4 is the bigger leap, bit mainly because every previous DS was garbage.

The One controller is trying to perfect near perfection, which is harder to do.

Another set of impressions on both controllers, It's starting to become a trend where people are like the DS4 a lot more than the Xbox One controller. Uh oh.

http://o.canada.com/2013/08/30/press-start-ps4s-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

At Fan Expo Canada in Toronto, I had the opportunity to go hands-on with the PlayStation 4′s Dualshock 4 and the Xbox 360′s new smaller, sleeker controller. To my surprise, I actually prefer the PS4′s Dualshock 4 over the new Xbox One controller.

Interestingly, it almost feels like it was designed specifically to appeal to gamers looking to make the jump from the land of Xbox to using the PlayStation 4 as their primary console. I also have the feeling the Dualshock 4 has been designed with first-person shooters in mind, a genre that at least for the next couple years, will probably continue to dominate the mainstream gaming scene.

The Dualshock 4 feels considerably larger than the Xbox One’s controller. I don’t have gigantic hands, but when playing Ryse on the Xbox One, my fingers felt cramped and it didn’t seem like there was enough distance between the Xbox One controller’s joysticks.

In contrast, the Dualshock 4 looks and feels much larger than the Dualshock 3 and even the Xbox One’s controller, making its parallel placed joysticks much easier to use. Some people might find this strange, but when using the Dualshock 3 with the PlayStation 4, especially while playing first-person shooters, my thumbs often slide against one another.

Then there’s the form factor of the joysticks on both controllers. When it came to the PlayStation 3′s Dualshock 3, the rounded tips always caused my thumbs to slide around uncontrollably, especially after particularly long gaming sessions (getting sweaty hands sucks). With the Dualshock 4, this is no longer an issue because of its joystick’s slight indent, a feature that was already a big part of the Xbox 360′s controller. Sony has now done a much better job with this concept.

The Xbox One’s controller also has a revamped joystick indent that’s much better than what was featured on the Xbox 360 (the 360′s joysticks tend to wear down too quickly), but I preferred the Dualshock 4′s because the indent isn’t as deep. This gave me more control and grip when moving its joysticks around.

I was excited to try out the Xbox One controller’s new vibrating triggers, but I found them very disappointing. Perhaps it was just the game I played, Ryse, but I didn’t feel much feedback in either trigger. Also, pulling the trigger down, didn’t feel as satisfying because its range of motion feels slightly less than the Xbox 360 controller’s. In contrast, pulling the Dualshock 4′s trigger felt high satisfying and is a great improvement over the Dualshock 3′s horrible triggers.

Perhaps most importantly, I found the Dualshock 4 overall much more comfortable than the Xbox One’s controller. Even after just about 20 minutes of use, my hands felt cramped when using the Xbox One’s controller. It almost reminded me of how my hands feel after playing the ridiculously small 3DS. In contrast, the PlayStation 4′s controller was comfortable and didn’t feel awkward at all.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try the PlayStation 4′s touch panel button as it didn’t seem to be enabled on the two games I played, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Knack. The Dualshock 4 also feels more solid than the Xbox One’s controller. I can’t quit put my finger on why but it could have something to do with its weight. Sometimes, controllers that have a little extra heft to them feel like they’re better made.

BigDug13

Another set of impressions on both controllers, It's starting to become a trend where people are like the DS4 a lot more than the Xbox One controller. Uh oh.

http://o.canada.com/2013/08/30/press-start-ps4s-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

I don't think it's uh-oh territory. Different people are going to find different preferences with each controller. The bottom line is that both are now fantastic controllers and Sony has finally corrected nearly all the flaws in the DS3. There have been reports where the reporter liked the XBO controller slightly more and reports where the reporter liked the PS4 controller slightly more.

But anyone who tries to say "way better controller" as one of their pro-MS bulletpoints maybe blowing smoke. Both are great, bottom line.

Metzhara

It might be the larger deadzones on the 360 sticks than on the DS3

That's exactly the reason I was going to suggest. Tension will not determine how far you move the stick until you see reaction, it only suggest force used to move the stick. That tactile feel ensures you are aware of it. I personally prefer the use of the Xbox sticks because I have that tension. The DS3 felt too loose. It was an interesting difference between the two. For me, it only meant I just didn't enjoy playing FPS games on it but then, over time, any of us can and will adapt. Triggers in general were considered "awkward" by many communities prior to their global acceptance. I think the same will happen for these controllers. -Adam

I got my hands on both today at PAX, my thoughts;

DS4: I played War Frame (meh) and Drive Club (fun). First thing I noticed is that it felt small compared to 360, other then that I could see myself game with it for hundreds of hours. The only gripe I have is with the touch pad. I didn't realize that it clicks down like a button, very cool, but it felt really flimsy, like it will eventually pop off flimsy. Also the touch pad curves over the back, but isn't flush with it, so I kept finding my fingers picking at the pad like a scab, wanting to pull it off. Anyone else notice this?

XBO: I played Ryes (looked pretty but I'm not big on brawlers). First thing I noticed that the grips seemed to have flatter edges, I didn't notice them anymore when I got playing. Bumpers seemed fine, but it did appear like they but go as far down when being pressed compared to the 360. Much more shallow. Didn't notice rumble triggers, but was using face buttons more so I can't really judge them. Other then that, it felt like using a 360 controller to me.

They both felt like good controllers, but if I had to pick one, I would go with XBO, because of size and that touch pad feels like it's going to break off one day.

DS4: I played War Frame (meh) and Drive Club (fun). First thing I noticed is that it felt small compared to 360, other then that I could see myself game with it for hundreds of hours. The only gripe I have is with the touch pad. I didn't realize that it clicks down like a button, very cool, but it felt really flimsy, like it will eventually pop off flimsy. Also the touch pad curves over the back, but isn't flush with it, so I kept finding my fingers picking at the pad like a scab, wanting to pull it off. Anyone else notice this?

XBO: I played Ryes (looked pretty but I'm not big on brawlers). First thing I noticed that the grips seemed to have flatter edges, I didn't notice them anymore when I got playing. Bumpers seemed fine, but it did appear like they but go as far down when being pressed compared to the 360. Much more shallow. Didn't notice rumble triggers, but was using face buttons more so I can't really judge them. Other then that, it felt like using a 360 controller to me.

They both felt like good controllers, but if I had to pick one, I would go with XBO, because of size and that touch pad feels like it's going to break off one day.

only got my hands on the XBO, thanks for the impression.:)

firen

Thanks for the impressions. Seems like you came to the opposite conclusion to the article above in regards to the size of the controller.

I am ocd about subconsciously running my finger nail along creases in controllers or along base of the sticks. This might drive me nuts or satisfy the shit out of my ocd.

Nice impressions, thanks :)

Xater

I can tell you that I had a PS4 controller in my hand on which the touchpad felt like you described but also ones where it felt like a macbook trackpad. I think it is based on the usage and maybe some production errors. Also the Xbone sticks are looser than the ones on PS4 and I didn't particularly care for the XBone triggers, they feel very mushy and imprecise compared to the PS4 ones. I think this is because of the rumble stuff they put in there.

This is all based on extensive playtime with both pads during Gamescom.

synce

The DS4 looks like perfection. They fixed the only problem with the DS3 (convex triggers and sticks).

Not sure what MS was thinking with the new controller though. Triggers and bumpers look weird, and I'm assuming it still has those noisy face buttons

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I am ocd about subconsciously running my finger nail along creases in controllers or along base of the sticks. This might drive me nuts or satisfy the shit out of my ocd.

I played with the controller today and the reflection is hardly noticable, even when you try to make it stand out. I was playing 2 feet away from the screen and even then you had to look for the glare.

GamerJM

Banned
They both look like nice step ups from the predecessors, but I still wish I could use an Xbone controller on the PS4 :|.

Has there been a generation where at least two of the big 3 had awesome controllers?

Frankly, I think all first party controllers of the major consoles (ie Sony, Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft) have been great since the genesis and snes generation. The The only horrible controller I can think of was the Master System's with its crazy square "dpad" and the lack of pause button. Other than that, they've all been great even if a few of them have been a bit crazy like the N64's and the Dreamcast's one. But they're still pretty good and comfortable to use when used properly, they're just not as versatile as the dual stick controllers that became the standard. By major consoles,

To get back to the next generation controllers, I think the Microsoft one has more potential. The touch pad will probably be a mimic, it has potential for the OS and text typing, web browsing, etc... But I doubt it, it seems like another shitty idea like the sixaxis and the back touch screen of the Vita, which sounds great on paper but suck on practice. The 360's rumble feature and mutlitasking buttons are obvious improvments though, the rest of these two controllers seem amazing. Everything looks better than the great things we already have with the awesome 360 and PS3 controllers.

Row

Banned
Spend $100M improving the controller, somehow decide making the triggers shallow is a good idea

Why?

Top Bottom