• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 5 Will Modify User Experience Based on Biofeedback.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a new Sony Patent, the controller will feature sensors to gather biofeedback from the user’s hands during normal use.

The sensor on one or both sides of Dualshock 5 grips are going to track electrodermal activity (sweat secretion) and heart-rate. The biofeedback will then be used by the PlayStation 5 to make adjustments to a user’s gaming experience. How exactly will this happen and what changes we can expect is unknown.

The patent doesn’t specify the changes this system is capable of making to your experience. However, the patent does mention using images captured of the user which indicates that part of it may depend on the PlayStation Camera as well.

biofeedback information is used to select between one or more options presented in a piece of content without the user having to provide further input.

The goal of the patent, as described by the document, is to provide “an immersive and highly interactive experience for players.” The patent indicates that the feature is designed to work with Virtual Reality which means Sony plans to take VR experiences to a whole new level.

LQgVbUq.png

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

According to a new Sony Patent, the controller will feature sensors to gather biofeedback from the user’s hands during normal use.

The sensor on one or both sides of Dualshock 5 grips are going to track electrodermal activity (sweat secretion) and heart-rate. The biofeedback will then be used by the PlayStation 5 to make adjustments to a user’s gaming experience. How exactly will this happen and what changes we can expect is unknown.

The patent doesn’t specify the changes this system is capable of making to your experience. However, the patent does mention using images captured of the user which indicates that part of it may depend on the PlayStation Camera as well.

The goal of the patent, as described by the document, is to provide “an immersive and highly interactive experience for players.” The patent indicates that the feature is designed to work with Virtual Reality which means Sony plans to take VR experiences to a whole new level.

LQgVbUq.png

Oh really? The DualShock 5 WILL do that?

That's an interesting notion since I see a DualShock 4 in there, and there is absolutely no mention in the patent of DualShock 5 or PlayStation 5.

Patents are not in any shape or form a reveal of actual products or features coming on a next-gen console. Most of them don't turn into actual products, and those that do, normally don't after 6 months. Patents exist to protect an invention, and inventions aren't products. They're something a company's employee came up with and that said company may or may not decide to use at some point in the future, so they patent it so that other companies can't.

This whole thing of disingenuously selling this kind of information as basically confirmed reveals about PS5 is absolutely scummy and misleading.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
At that rate the controller is going to cost $100 on its own. Touchpad, gyros, speaker, being trackable through LED lights, Rumble, rumble triggers, resistance triggers, resistance sticks. All eating away at the battery, plus bio feedback sensors, potentially rear pedals. So many parts that can break.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
At that rate the controller is going to cost $100 on its own. Touchpad, gyros, speaker, being trackable through LED lights, Rumble, rumble triggers, resistance triggers, resistance sticks. All eating away at the battery, plus bio feedback sensors, potentially rear pedals. So many parts that can break.

Which is why it most likely won't. This is a patent, not a product.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Unless the controller can wank me while playing I don't give a shit about bio-thingamajigs. Remove vibrations, remove leds, and just let me play the game peacefully for fuck sake.

It's enough that we have basically zero privacy when browsing and now this. They're gonna know what my bpm is and how much I sweat. They're gonna keep a file on us.

Unless the controller can wank me while playing I don't give a shit about bio-thingamajigs. Remove vibrations, remove leds, and just let me play the game peacefully for fuck sake.
Your post says one thing, but the Dual Shock 5 reads otherwise. It also knows what hand does the majority of fapping.

Chromata

Oh really? The DualShock 5 WILL do that?

That's an interesting notion since I see a DualShock 4 in there, and there is absolutely no mention in the patent of DualShock 5 or PlayStation 5.

Patents are not in any shape or form a reveal of actual products or features coming on a next-gen console. Most of them don't turn into actual products, and those that do, normally don't after 6 months. Patents exist to protect an invention, and inventions aren't products. They're something a company's employee came up with and that said company may or may not decide to use at some point in the future, so they patent it so that other companies can't.

This whole thing of disingenuously selling this kind of information as basically confirmed reveals about PS5 is absolutely scummy and misleading.

So what you're saying is that my PS5 controller won't detect my heart rate and sweat, maintain a conversation with me using an AI assistant, have two new buttons on the bottom, provide advanced haptic feedback, and rock a touchscreen?

I don't believe you.

wolffy71

Banned
This seems kinda dumb. And im all set for the first player to go into cardiac arrest while playing and blaming it on Sony saying "they knew my heart rate was dangerously high and enhanced a game experience to make it worse"

people are thirsty for PS5 news.. no where is it mentioned that this is for PS5, it might be never released at all

its just a patent. doesnt mean anything

__DS5- scans hands__

__DS5- Beep Boop Beep... Sending data to processing device__

__PS5- Data received and catalogued__

__PS5- Calculating data: Player is hungry__

__PS5- Initiating : Dynamic fast food add : #mcdon__

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds useless to me if true. Kinda hard to believe they would waste such a thing in a controller just to pick feedback and risk wasting more of the battery life.

Last edited:

Miles708

Grouped with the other "AI advertising" patent, this is becoming scary.
I don't like it at all. Please make it go away.

HonkingTonk

Neo Member
What controller gadget will Sony patent next? One that will bring back someone's dad after they went out to buy some cigarettes?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This sounds like an expensive doodad that no games will use. I hope it doesn't make it into the controller to jack up the price for no reason.

Top Bottom