• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock4 Thumbstick problems. Let´s gather info here.

Hanmik

Some Dualshock 4 users have been complaining about the thumbsticks breaking.

like this
E2DtTJC.jpg
[/QUOTE]

these pictues were taken by gaffers in this thread.. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160

People are wondering if there is a batch of bad controllers out there. So let´s see if we can make some "detective work" and find out if this a faulty batch or something else.

Maybe we could start by posting the controller numbers found here.
dualshock4-fcc.jpg

If we can gather enough info, we might see a pattern here.

lock if not appropriate or just plain stupid.

EDIT : this thread is for info gathering, not general discussion about this (unless you have a good theory or something valid).. if you want to discuss there is a thread for that http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160

EDIT 2: the numbers look like these:
model cuh-zct1u
anatel no. 2307-13-6223
fcc id: ak8cuhzct1
ic: 4098-cuhzct1
4-473-498-02 G

So just post the number that isn´t the same as above, and write if your controller is OK or BROKEN..

Brohan

So it's just the rubber that's breaking and not the actual stick performance right?

Yeah, it's just the rubber thats tearing/degrading. An annoyance none the less though, but i think it might just be a bad batch and/or they get used by relatives of Edward Scissorhands.

Marvel

could never
Where the rubber is degrading you can clearly see that's where the pad of your thumb would sit and not the nail... come on man. I was worried about those rubber analogues as soon as I saw them to be honest. PS3 sticks had super firm rubber, very nicely made.

This is a huge step back.

LiK

Hm, definitely a bad batch I assume. The mixture for the rubber for some of them was probably not mixed right so they degrade faster. I'm just speculating of course.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Let's quit the whole cut your nails thing, guys.

4-473-498-01 G
Left stick wearing out slightly.

Yeah, I don't dig my nails into the analog sticks...

model cuh-zct1u
anatel no. 2307-13-6223
4-473-498-02 G

despire

Yeah, I don't dig my nails into the analog sticks...

model cuh-zct1u
anatel no. 2307-13-6223
4-473-498-02 G

Cross post from the other thread..

Would this be the important piece of information here? My DS4, which is ok (I haven't used it), has a different number. Everything else is the same.

My Controller, at least 18 hours of use, looks like I just opened it from the package. I dont see any signs of any wear at this point. I cut my nails as well, if that does end up having anything to do with it.

I specifically made a note to look at the PS4 controller at Best Buy yesterday, on their demo machine, and it was just fine. That one has been played all day for over a week now.

Hanmik

Cross post from the other thread..

Would this be the important piece of information here? My DS4, which is ok (I haven't used it), has a different number. Everything else is the same.

maybe we should concentrate on the numbers that are different then..

so people could post the last two numbers.

4-473-498-02 G

and off course note if their Thumbstick is OK or BROKEN. ;o)

Metfanant

4-473-498-01 G

4-473-498-02 G

two different controllers...cant tell you which one came with the console, and which was purchased from Gamestop...both have hours upon hours of use and not even the SLIGHTEST hint of wear to the left stick...

EagleEyes

My DS4 has the same exact numbering though like I said, I haven't yet used it.
You should be good to go then because i've played Killzone, Contrast and Knack quite a bit this weekend and the sticks have been flawless. Now the battery life on the other hand.....lol.

LiK

You should be good to go then because i've played Killzone, Contrast and Knack quite a bit this weekend and the sticks have been flawless. Now the battery life on the other hand.....lol.

Yea, I play Resogun for around 2 hours and the battery bar is down to half already.

despire

Hopefully you're right. My DS4 was purchased from a Best Buy in Florida and I live in Europe. Warranty issues might be a bit difficult unless I can pass it on as the one which comes with the console next week.

Well, let's see..

It's odd to see it's the left stick only.

Anyway: List the numbers and be sure to say whether or not the rubber is has "Wear" "Okay"

this has to be just cheap materials. for $400 i would expect better and better QA to ensure this doesn't happen after less than a week

EagleEyes

this has to be just cheap materials. for $400 i would expect better and better QA to ensure this doesn't happen after less than a week
Well lets be completely honest, Sony has definitely cut corners on a few things for the PS4. But I think the sticks compaint is just a faulty batch because other controllers have been great under extensive use like mine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah its quite shocking how fast the battery drains. I mean it seems to be barely better than my Wii U gamepad. It makes no sense at all.

Turn the speaker volume down or off. You have the low power LED and that speaker as well as audio via the headset. Don't be shocked how it eats battery quicker. I know my friends are using the included mic which actually is surprisingly good quality when I talk to them.

It's odd to see it's the left stick only.

Anyway: List the numbers and be sure to say whether or not the rubber is has "Wear" "Okay"

I don't think it's the left stick only. The left analog just gets a lot more constant use during gameplay. Same thing will probably eventually happen to the right analog.

daveo42

Banned
Did anyone who has this issue get their controller at/post launch... Or are the defective controllers only from before launch

The controller I've been using was from pre-launch purchased from Gamestop and it has some minor wear on it already. It's not nearly as bad as some of the ones I've seen in here, but it's noticeable. I've played mostly Knack, Killzone, and NFS since purchase with a short test on my PC after purchase. I'll post my info tonight when I get home.

I haven't even used the controller that came with the console.

Gammacide

Mine look and feel fine after 20+ hours of use. I would expect this after a year or three of wear and tear, not this early. Sounds like an acceptable rubber failure rate of 0.04%.

The controller I've been using was from pre-launch purchased from Gamestop and it has some minor wear on it already. It's not nearly as bad as some of the ones I've seen in here, but it's noticeable. I've played mostly Knack, Killzone, and NFS since purchase with a short test on my PC after purchase. I'll post my info tonight when I get home.

I haven't even used the controller that came with the console.
You should try the one with the console and see.

Did anyone who has this issue get their controller at/post launch... Or are the defective controllers only from before launch

The controller I'm having issues with was the one packed in with the console. I have an extra I could open and try, but I'm thinking of just returning it at this point.

EagleEyes

Turn the speaker volume down or off. You have the low power LED and that speaker as well as audio via the headset. Don't be shocked how it eats battery quicker. I know my friends are using the included mic which actually is surprisingly good quality when I talk to them.
But I like the speaker lol. I think Sony should have included a little better battery if they were gonna include all these new features on their controller. Don't you think? In all fairness I expect the new X1 controller to have worse battery life also thanks to the impulse triggers. I will know this friday if my hunch is correct.

angrygnat

I have had 6 different people using the same two controllers since last Friday. We had pizza and wings. Chips. Soft drinks. Anything you can imagine. Grinding into these things. At one point for close to 48 hours straight. Battlefield 4 mostly but we got Ghosts too, so there's that. If ever there was a torture test that's it. So far our controllers are holding up fine. I had one controller on my PS3 had the left stick rubber peel off once so it's not something that is unheard of. If you sold a million consoles, I'd imagine some people got more than one for each console. So were talking possibly close to 1.5 to almost 2 million controllers out there. I'm not making excuses for Sony but come on people. It's not outside the realm of possibility that if you have that many controllers out there you're going to have a few crappy ones. We need to have a little perspective.

zroid

Banned
ick...

that's the kind of thing you expect to happen due to several years worth of wear, not several days. :'/

ahuffman

Banned
No problems with the rubber wearing out, but my pre-launch DS4 is going back to Amazon due to the right stick glitching on me. In shooters it keeps forcing my view downward.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have had 6 different people using the same two controllers since last Friday. We had pizza and wings. Chips. Soft drinks. Anything you can imagine. Grinding into these things. At one point for close to 48 hours straight. Battlefield 4 mostly but we got Ghosts too, so there's that. If ever there was a torture test that's it. So far our controllers are holding up fine. I had one controller on my PS3 had the left stick rubber peel off once so it's not something that is unheard of. If you sold a million consoles, I'd imagine some people got more than one for each console. So were talking possibly close to 1.5 to almost 2 million controllers out there. I'm not making excuses for Sony but come on people. It's not outside the realm of possibility that if you have that many controllers out there you're going to have a few crappy ones. We need to have a little perspective.
Well, that gives me hope. I might just go to the shop and get a replacement.

Top Bottom