• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSHOCKERS: Microsoft Might Announce A New Xbox Studio Acquisition at E3 2021

It’s always the same clowns crying and trying to stir up drama - one thread on the front page regarding a Microsoft acquisition is the end of the world for you, but the 3 separate threads on Horizon, 2 separate threads on Ratchet and 2 separate threads on Returnal on the front page is all grand.

Clown world is right to be honest. You don’t like the occasional Xbox thread that’s allowed in here, don’t click it and stick to the multitude of PS threads. Not rocket science is it?

That’s rich. I’m pretty sure if I go into any of the mentioned threads about horizon etc I’ll find the usual clowns shitting all over it because it’s not on their plastic. Those clowns are usually the first to post on page one.
The fact your persecution complex gets this triggered over a joke shows how fragile some of you are; which is a topic that’s post multiple times a week btw.

Everyone one of those threads is filled with the usual suspects trolling them.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Jez walking back his comments. "No hard evidence" and "didn't mean for this to go so far".

Jez has said before that if he has actual evidence and wants their to be articles about it, he’ll write the article. Basically, you can treat his speculation as just that unless he actually writes an article about it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s always the same clowns crying and trying to stir up drama - one thread on the front page regarding a Microsoft acquisition is the end of the world for you, but the 3 separate threads on Horizon, 2 separate threads on Ratchet and 2 separate threads on Returnal on the front page is all grand.

Those are all game threads, like actual games. Don’t you get tired of constant MS acquisition rumor threads? They always seem to come from the same sources too. Fanboys.

I guess it is gonna be like E3 2018. Big acquisitions require approvals so they will happen separately :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I wonder what studio though. According to rumours it is AA, but a lot of studios bought in 2018 were technically AA with big AAA potential.

Their studios aren’t enough ? They have 23 studios . If each one makes 1 game every 2 years, you will have a new MS game every month.
They have plenty.
No 23 is not enough. I fully expect for them to 30 sooner or later. It is necessary to guarantee the stable output. Games are taking a lot of time to make.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Jez has said before that if he has actual evidence and wants their to be articles about it, he’ll write the article. Basically, you can treat his speculation as just that unless he actually writes an article about it.
Eh. This guy knows what he's doing. He knows that if he says stuff like this it's gonna be picked up and ran with. It has happened so many times.

I think both Moon studios and Asobo will be under their umbrella by the time this gen is over.
I doubt about Asobo as they are going public or already public and got some investment even from the french government or something. But they are 100% talented for sure.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I personally wish insiders or whatever they want to be referred as could just be quiet.

Let the show talk for itself.

All the info they put out, makes people either expect games that show up, or have unrealistic expectations.

Not only that, but people that claim x game is coming to game pass prior to reveal (or non reveal)

It is crappy for devs/pubs and can kill sales, especially if the game is NOT coming.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That’s rich. I’m pretty sure if I go into any of the mentioned threads about horizon etc I’ll find the usual clowns shitting all over it because it’s not on their plastic. Those clowns are usually the first to post on page one.
The fact your persecution complex gets this triggered over a joke shows how fragile some of you are; which is a topic that’s post multiple times a week btw.

Hahahaha funny joke mate, I get it now, a real knee slapper that one.

Personally I want MS to go after IPs and studios affiliated with Sony. It would be just fair considering how hard Sony is going after Xbox-associated IPs like Bethesda's or Bioshock .That was one of those things that contributed to Sega's demise + Sony at that time were much bigger than Sega and they went for a kill.

Last edited:

martino

Those are all game threads, like actual games. Don’t you get tired of constant MS acquisition rumor threads? They always seem to come from the same sources too. Fanboys.
Unlike you the multiple exclusive / acquisition rumor thread for other platform also in attempt to fill first page of the forum with content about them are as much a problem.
We need a rumor OTs, one for each brand / platform.

PhaseJump

Banned
One of these E3 shows, Phil's going to walk on stage and anounce the acquisition of his retirement pension.

giphy.gif

I think the announcement of any more acquisitions will come later in the year .They know people been going hard on them for showing what their deck of cards with regards to actual games/gameplay, so if they get it right(Big If lol) they'll hold off on this type of announcement, pump games announcements through the summer, and save the acquisition talk to make an announcement/splash at the game awards.

Just my guess

skit_data

Personally I want MS to go after IPs and studios affiliated with Sony. It would be just fair considering how hard Sony is going after Xbox-associated IPs like Bethesda's or Bioshock .That was one of those things that contributed to Sega's demise + Sony at that time were much bigger than Sega and they went for a kill.
You mean how they did with Ninja Theory before Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo was even on a prototype stage? Or how they bought Rare?

Talk about kindergarten level way of thinking, to rather see a company hurt the opponent rather than how good the end result will be

CeeJay

I can see them acquiring Paradox at some point. Most of their games are on Gamepass already and the last few have been there day 1. I suspect though that most people would be entirely underwhelmed by it as they are quite niche titles.

PhaseJump

Banned

Why should we believe you about how clowns behave in any thread on this board? You couldn't even pull one over on Ronald McDonald to successfully get away with hoarding and stealing the cheeseburgers.

Usually I do not put much weight in insider information. That being said, Microsoft making an acquisition isnt exactly surprising.

They basically said they were not done buying so we shall see.

You mean how they did with Ninja Theory before Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo was even on a prototype stage? Or how they bought Rare?
Since when Ninja Theory made Playstation affiliated IPs? Arkane and Tango did not make Sony affiliated IPs either.
But Bethesda has always been strongly associated with Xbox. Bioshock kinda too. Mass Effect also but a lot of people - me included - blame Xbox for not buying Bioware when they could.

Talk about kindergarten level way of thinking, to rather see a company hurt the opponent rather than how good the end result will be
Kindergarten? No. It is what Sony fanboys like to say - "Just business". I mean time exclusivity, crossplay suppression etc. is just business, so acquisition done to damage the opponent - which what Sony did too - is just business too. It is all about business.

We both know that moneyhatting won't stop in the near future and as MS cannot compete in that due to market share - thus they should purchase whatever until the market is a balance again.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

You guys are taking this waay too high (I know most of you are actually meming about this). This has NOTHING to do with Konami or SEGA or anything like that, not even Asobo.

If what i heard is true none of what you predicting is true and Microsoft buying Interplay (as per Brian Fargo's wishes) and have plans for the future about it.

Last edited:

skit_data

Since when Ninja Theory made Playstation affiliated IPs? Arkane and Tango did not make Sony affiliated IPs either.
But Bethesda has always been strongly associated with Xbox. Bioshock kinda too. Mass Effect also but a lot of people - me included - for not buying Bioware when they could.
Kindergarten? No. It is what Sony fanboys like to say - "Just business". I mean time exclusivity, crossplay suppression etc. is just business, so acquisition done to damage the opponent - which what Sony did too - is just business too. It is all about business.

We both know that moneyhatting won't stop in the near future and as MS cannot compete in that due to market share - thus they should purchase whatever until the market is a balance again.
Know your history:

EyypTPg.jpg

BuhpMVu.jpg

VwLzTB1.jpg

I think Bethesda was a great purchase by Xbox, they had a history of working together since before so it seemed like a pretty natural step.

What I’m arguing is that your primary motivator in the original statement was that it would ”hurt Sony” rather than a working relationship that produces good results and that you used a ”Sony started it” which is an argument I haven’t heard as a serious argument in a discussion since kindergarten. If an adult uses it it’s often in a less transparent and obvious way.

Nautilus

Banned
As long as its some developer that makes games I dont care, I'm good.

This acquisition spree got to my nerves when they got Bethesda.

Spidey Fan

Banned
It’s Nintendo! Only Mario could fix the xbox in Japan and Europe. 🤡😂🤡

That’s why they haven’t show Switch pro. It’s cancelled for Series S and X games. Remember the rumors about Nintendo and MS working together? 😂🤡😂

It’s not SEGA. The last Virtua Fighter is exclusive on PS4 and free on PSN. In fact, Sony is more likely to get SEGA.
I just had stroke reading this. Dude get some help.
season 5 episode 6 GIF by Portlandia

Spidey Fan

Banned
As long as its some developer that makes games I dont care, I'm good.

This acquisition spree got to my nerves when they got Bethesda.
This is what happens when you make trillion dollar company focus its attention to games. Now we have behemoth which is main is focus is gamepass. Not xbox, but gamepass.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Thank you SONYFANBOY's you've turned Microsoft into a monster. All the jokes about under powered GPU no In-House studios are now long gone LOL
I am more of worried about Amazon buying take 2 or ea. If they do it, that is straight to their cloud luna.

Future games are now bleak, since we have tencent, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon fighting. Sony or Nintendo have no legs in this fight, since they can be out right be bought, and nothing can stop them do that (I can see Microsoft unable to acquire those 2, but others can, and Japanese law can't stop them, since they can bribe their leaders).

Loope

SCENARIO: You're the head of Xbox in 2017, you have 4 studios, how would you go about improving the first-party output?

Come On What GIF
Sshh, don't interrupt people versed on the matters of gaming business. We all know is not how you do it.You start a new studio, then you groom it for 4/5 years while you launch a game to test the waters, then on the end of the generation you do it again with another. So i would say that in 15 years they'll be in good shape to confront the allmighty Sony.

While you do that, you pretend your favourite company didn't outright buyed studios, 3rd party exclusives and shit like that because that would be a great concern.

Varteras

Gold Member
I am more of worried about Amazon buying take 2 or ea. If they do it, that is straight to their cloud luna.

Future games are now bleak, since we have tencent, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon fighting. Sony or Nintendo have no legs in this fight, since they can be out right be bought, and nothing can stop them do that (I can see Microsoft unable to acquire those 2, but others can, and Japanese law can't stop them, since they can bribe their leaders).
Calm down. That's not how any of this works. For starters, the whole notion of bribing a nation's leaders to allow them to break the law and buy a major Japanese company is silly. It would be political and business suicide. It would cause a shitstorm none of those companies or politicians would want to be a part of.

Having money doesn't mean you get to buy whatever you want. Sony's market cap is almost $125 billion and Nintendo's is over $74 billion. Even for Microsoft, Tencent, Google, or Amazon that is an EXTREMELY risky proposition to buy either company. That's a fuck ton of money to spend on a company in the hopes it dramatically increases your market share permanently. Sony employs over 111,000 people. Microsoft's employee count, for example, would suddenly swell by over 66%. It would be an organizational nightmare.

This assumes that Sony would even be open to being bought, which they would not. Neither would Nintendo. Yes, Japanese law does indeed prohibit the sale of Sony to a foreign company. They are a Tier 1 company. Which makes them incredibly protected by the Japanese government. Nintendo doesn't have the same protections but it would be extremely difficult to convince the Japanese government to allow a foreign entity to buy them. There would also be, without a doubt, huge legal battles over potential monopolies. Just look at Sony being tripped up in legal investigations over their purchase of Crunchyroll and how that might give Sony too much power in the anime streaming market.

Microsoft has been trying for 20 years now to stand at the top of the industry and they're still not even close. Google and Amazon have both proven to be completely incompetent in the industry because they have no one managing their forays who has a fucking clue what it takes. Tencent, by virtue of being a Chinese company, has even greater hurdles to overcome. Sony and Nintendo have both been doing this dance for decades. They've dominated the market and survived every attempt to take them out of the picture. Not just survived, but either immediately or eventually beat the shit out of the competitor.

T2 and EA aren't likely going anywhere either. They're not going to sell to a Chinese company in the current geopolitical climate. Amazon and Google are too inept to trust with the future of those companies and even if they DID buy them chances are that they'd remain third party after a few attempts at exclusives because no one has bought into Stadia or Luna anyways. Both companies are finding out very quickly that being a first party in this industry is brutal enough, nevermind being the new kid against three brands that now have anywhere from 20 to 40+ years of history in the industry.

We've heard this tune before. "Someone has a lot of money so they can buy it all and win". It doesn't work that way. It has never worked that way. Xbox would have already been the only console on the market if it did.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Calm down. That's not how any of this works. For starters, the whole notion of bribing a nation's leaders to allow them to break the law and buy a major Japanese company is silly. It would be political and business suicide. It would cause a shitstorm none of those companies or politicians would want to be a part of.

Having money doesn't mean you get to buy whatever you want. Sony's market cap is almost $125 billion and Nintendo's is over $74 billion. Even for Microsoft, Tencent, Google, or Amazon that is an EXTREMELY risky proposition to buy either company. That's a fuck ton of money to spend on a company in the hopes it dramatically increases your market share permanently. Sony employs over 111,000 people. Microsoft's employee count, for example, would suddenly swell by over 66%. It would be an organizational nightmare.

This assumes that Sony would even be open to being bought, which they would not. Neither would Nintendo. Yes, Japanese law does indeed prohibit the sale of Sony to a foreign company. They are a Tier 1 company. Which makes them incredibly protected by the Japanese government. Nintendo doesn't have the same protections but it would be extremely difficult to convince the Japanese government to allow a foreign entity to buy them. There would also be, without a doubt, huge legal battles over potential monopolies. Just look at Sony being tripped up in legal investigations over their purchase of Crunchyroll and how that might give Sony too much power in the anime streaming market.

Microsoft has been trying for 20 years now to stand at the top of the industry and they're still not even close. Google and Amazon have both proven to be completely incompetent in the industry because they have no one managing their forays who has a fucking clue what it takes. Tencent, by virtue of being a Chinese company, has even greater hurdles to overcome. Sony and Nintendo have both been doing this dance for decades. They've dominated the market and survived every attempt to take them out of the picture. Not just survived, but either immediately or eventually beat the shit out of the competitor.

T2 and EA aren't likely going anywhere either. They're not going to sell to a Chinese company in the current geopolitical climate. Amazon and Google are too inept to trust with the future of those companies and even if they DID buy them chances are that they'd remain third party after a few attempts at exclusives because no one has bought into Stadia or Luna anyways. Both companies are finding out very quickly that being a first party in this industry is brutal enough, nevermind being the new kid against three brands that now have anywhere from 20 to 40+ years of history in the industry.

We've heard this tune before. "Someone has a lot of money so they can buy it all and win". It doesn't work that way. It has never worked that way. Xbox would have already been the only console on the market if it did.
I suggest you have some lesson with American politics. All politics these days can be bought.

Nintendo and Sony have values. Maybe not for Google or tencent, but they have more value for Amazon. Sony has the movies. Nintendo has games which kids love. Either of these are too valuable for Amazon.
What amazon can do is strike a deal with Japanese government. Invest more in their country. And no country will deny the opportunity business their country will get.
Sony isn't just gaming, unlike Nintendo. So other sectors of Sony have more values to Amazon.

As for your Microsoft gaming point, they never had any invest in that sector. Or else, you have seen tons of buying studios from them, just like now. Hell, they stopped giving crap in 2014 e3, when they went all tv. Their main goal was other sectors. While Sony on other hand, had more experience (ps1).

At the end of the day, money Rules.

onesvenus

Those big companies wouldn't be able to buy Sony or Nintendo certainly but they can buy a lot of the smaller publishers. It seems a future with more consolidation is more probable than without it.

Sony will also play that game if they want to keep being leaders. Can you imagine Google, Amazon or some other company making big third party games exclusive? Playstation games are really well received but I wouldn't bet a Sony-games only console would keep its current market share

Know your history:
EyypTPg.jpg
Insomniac also made the game for Xbox, so what? Its purchase by Sony is considered an "organic growth".

What I’m arguing is that your primary motivator in the original statement was that it would ”hurt Sony” rather than a working relationship that produces good results and that you used a ”Sony started it” which is an argument I haven’t heard as a serious argument in a discussion since kindergarten. If an adult uses it it’s often in a less transparent and obvious way.
There is nothing childish in retaliation. Especially if nobody thinks that they are going to stop. Sony has particular goals in mind, so MS purchase of Sony-IPs would also suit particular goals. There is a value in IPs and that's why Sony went after the games from the studios traditionally associated with Xbox like Bethesda.

It reminds me of talks about time exclusivity - in 99% cases when people say that it is better than acquisition, they are planning to play it on the console that has that time exclusivity purchased.

All in all, the point is that MS should do the moves - like Bethesda's purchase the effects of it we have yet to experience - that damage Sony's foothold. Because that's exactly what Sony does and has been consistently doing since the entrance of the market. And that's what console market wars are all about. They were not the first, they won't be the last.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Those big companies wouldn't be able to buy Sony or Nintendo certainly but they can buy a lot of the smaller publishers. It seems a future with more consolidation is more probable than without it.

Sony will also play that game if they want to keep being leaders. Can you imagine Google, Amazon or some other company making big third party games exclusive? Playstation games are really well received but I wouldn't bet a Sony-games only console would keep its current market share
So far ea, take 2, and ubisoft are what sells consoles, not their exclusive. 10m people might buy the consoles for their exclusive, but the rest buys for those games. Cod, Fifa are console sellers. And people buy the new consoles to play those games with their friends.
My little brother is using his ps5 for cod to play with his friends.

Renozokii

Clown world is right to be honest. You don’t like the occasional Xbox thread that’s allowed in here, don’t click it and stick to the multitude of PS threads. Not rocket science is it?
You’re not actually surprised gamers like games out, coming soon, or with gameplay out more than they do another thread about Microsoft’s business of just buying shit, are you?

Top Bottom