• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duck Dynasty's Phil: Black People were happy pre-civil rights era, pre-welfare, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

The thing that you guys are just incapable of seeing is that GLAAD are bullies. I could even say they are a terrorist group. They use their power to make people afraid to speak their minds. The man was speaking about the Bible in a magazine interview. He wasn't spouting off things on the streets. He wasn't saying gays should be hanged. He was saying things that most people agree with but have become afraid to say in our society. We have truly become like the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, where goodness is punished and sin is encouraged.

In addition to not understanding the difference between freedom of speech and hate speech, you also have no idea what terrorism is either.

Also, most people think gays are gross immoral people? The majority of Americans are in favor of gay marriage but still secretly think they're a step away from fucking animals and are going to hell? I'd ask you to back that up with evidence or polls or something, but the last time you were asked to prove a point you provided a youtube link to a disproved FOX News story, so why bother.

I'm a grown man and don't let shit that doesn't affect me or my family bother me.

Well, that would certainly explain your username.

Also, most people think gays are gross immoral people? The majority of Americans are in favor of gay marriage but still secretly think they're a step away from fucking animals and are going to hell?

Public polling by the AEI showed "approval of homosexuality" to be around 50% and rising quickly as of 2008 (it was 40% just four years earlier), for what that's worth.

inm8num2

The issue with these types of controversies is usually not what the person believes, but how they communicated it. The latter seems to be what really upset people, on top of his views to begin with.

Camwi

The thing that you guys are just incapable of seeing is that GLAAD are bullies. I could even say they are a terrorist group. They use their power to make people afraid to speak their minds. The man was speaking about the Bible in a magazine interview. He wasn't spouting off things on the streets. He wasn't saying gays should be hanged. He was saying things that most people agree with but have become afraid to say in our society. We have truly become like the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, where goodness is punished and sin is encouraged.

Come on, you can't be serious with this. You're just trolling at this point, right? His ignorant comments = goodness, and a company using their right to "fire" the guy = sin?

Also, the majority of people in this country actually support marriage equality, so I don't know where you get that idea from that everyone thinks the same as that buffoon.

In addition to not understanding the difference between freedom of speech and hate speech, you also have no idea what terrorism is either.

Also, most people think gays are gross immoral people? The majority of Americans are in favor of gay marriage but still secretly think they're a step away from fucking animals and are going to hell? I'd ask you to back that up with evidence or polls or something, but the last time you were asked to prove a point you provided a youtube link to a disproved FOX News story, so why bother.

You forget that all the support of gays is only a recent thing. It used to be very common that people looked down on them, it was a common insult. you had Eminem making fun of them in a ton of songs, and it was accepted. But then the LGBT uprising came and he apologized and did a duet with Elton John to make people not be mad anymore.

kinggroin

Banned
And you know good and well it's nothing to do with speech, rather than A&E protecting its own ass against minority group and liberal organizations.

What's the problem? They not allowed to pick a side?

Fuck em then. If I was him, I'd move to a network more tolerant of his views and start a new show.

You forget that all the support of gays is only a recent thing. It used to be very common that people looked down on them, it was a common insult. you had Eminem making fun of them in a ton of songs, and it was accepted. But then the LGBT uprising came and he apologized and did a duet with Elton John to make people not be mad anymore.

"uprising"?

Yes, those uppity gays. Someone should beat them back down, right? Teach them their place?

I wish we could all go back to the good old days where children played on the street, men gave up their bus seat to women, and we could all come together and look down on gays in perfect harmony.

Chaplain

Did any other cast members come out and condemn him?

Why would they? They are all Christians and hold to what God said through the writers of the Bible.

A 30-minute video about Phil and his famlies faith in Christ.

Three generations. One duck related Dynasty. The Robertson family story told through the lens of Phil, Kay, Jep and Reed. Gather friends and family this Thanksgiving season and watch their 30-minute special film. From their humble beginnings and struggle to keep their family together, see what happened before their immense success.

jmdajr

The issue with these types of controversies is usually not what the person believes, but how they communicated it. The latter seems to be what really upset people, on top of his views to begin with.

I guess some believe since he didn't say it on the show/TV, he shouldn't get fired.
But was the interview representing the show or not?

Goes back to no job protection. Yes you can get fired for doing anything outside of work that could conceivably ruin a company's reputation. If A&E believes it paints them in a bad light then they have the right to fire him.

Hell, maybe the guy can sue them. That's his right too I guess.

JABEE

This is hilarious. You're playing a character, right?

A&E protected their show. Good move. Incredibly stupid of the bearded dude to say this shit when the show is making tons of money and is at the height of its popularity.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Southern white people, with a limited experience to Black people, often have a limited understanding of problems faced by Black people.

Why is this a surprise?
1552px-New_2000_black_percent.gif

Not sure why people always equate the south with being mainly white.

Carcetti

I guess some believe since he didn't say it on the show/TV, he shouldn't get fired.
But was the interview representing the show or not?

Goes back to no job protection. Yes you can get fired for doing anything outside of work that could conceivably ruin a company's reputation. If A&E believes it paints them in a bad light then they have the right to fire him.

Hell, maybe the guy can sue them. That's his right too I guess.

Yeah, it seems some people believe having your own tv show is a human right now instead of a business decision by the network.

Blader

I think you've lost the plot on your own argument. You were just saying that most people look down on gays, now you're saying there's more solidarity for gays. So which is it?

Or do you think that the majority of Americans publicly support gay rights and say they're comfortable with gay people, but secretly loathe them as immoral sinners?

I wish we could all go back to the good old days where children played on the street, men gave up their bus seat to women, and we could all come together and look down on gays in perfect harmony.

I'm not saying we should go back to those times, and I support treating them as equals. You guys seem to have gone off on a tangent of equating me to something else, but I'm a young person the same as you. I don't look at them as different, though I'll tell you it annoys me when they talk in a really feminine voice. But if they're just normal people, why should I care what they do in their bedrooms?

I'm just saying that until the past 5 years or so, people said things like Phil Robertson said all the time. Now you hear less of it because of the LGBT gangs scaring everyone into silence.

Downhome

1552px-New_2000_black_percent.gif

Not sure why people always equate the south with being mainly white.

Because it's a stupid generalization. Many people seem to think that living anywhere close to the south is equal to living out in the backwoods in a crappy shack drinking moonshine out of a jug all day when we aren't holding our KKK rallies.

Camwi

Did you ever stop and think that maybe a minority group speaking up and publicly pointing out their mistreatment might be a good thing? That it might lead to less ignorance? Happiness, maybe? Ponies and sunshine?

teiresias

I'm not saying we should go back to those times, and I support treating them as equals. You guys seem to have gone off on a tangent of equating me to something else, but I'm a young person the same as you. I don't look at them as different, though I'll tell you it annoys me when they talk in a really feminine voice. But if they're just normal people, why should I care what they do in their bedrooms?

I'm just saying that until the past 5 years or so, people said things like Phil Robertson said all the time. Now you hear less of it because of the LGBT gangs scaring everyone into silence.

Oh this is just absolutely amazing. If they're "normal"? How considerate of you.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe a minority group speaking up and publicly pointing out their mistreatment might be a good thing? That it might lead to less ignorance? Happiness, maybe? Ponies and sunshine?

Alternately, it leads to roving gangs of minority groups driving around city centers with oppression guns and enforcing opinions on unsuspecting bystanders.

Holy fuck this is disgusting.
"LGBT gangs scaring everyone into silence"

pestul

A&E stand to lose a lot of money because of this decision. For that alone, they've gained a lot of respect from me. Some corporations would only think about the dollar.

If what he said in the interview wasn't offensive to you, then fine. A&E clearly didn't want that message conveyed to its viewership and they're entitled to that view as well.

kris.

Banned

hahahaha oh wow you just keep digging yourself into that hole, bruhbruh

You gotta build a rep before you go hard like this.

Hey, anyone want to rove the streets with nunchucks and glitter and scare some ppl into silence tonight?

megamerican

I agree with Bill Maher on this issue. People should not be made to go away over a statement or interview, even if it's fucked up and ignorant.

What's going to happen now is his fanbase is going to get riled up and pissed off, probably at the people Phil was talking about, and not the actual network.

Camwi

Mind if I ask how old you are and the population of the city you live in? Not trying to be a dick or anything, just curious.

Blader

So the idea that most people are just more accepting of and comfortable with gays can't possibly be the case then? Everyone's just too scared to be homophobic anymore?

lenovox1

A&E stand to lose a lot of money because of this decision. For that alone, they've gained a lot of respect from me. Some corporations would only think about the dollar.

If what he said in the interview wasn't offensive to you, then fine. A&E clearly didn't want that message conveyed to its viewership and they're entitled to that view as well.

Possibly the opposite. They may not have decided that suspension was the best course of action without the support or prodding from the show's sponsors.

The internet hive mind is asounding. This place is almost as bad as reddit. No wonder everyone is becoming atheist with the intimidation tactics people like you use on forums like these.

Because it's a stupid generalization. Many people seem to think that living anywhere close to the south is equal to living out in the backwoods in a crappy shack drinking moonshine out of a jug all day when we aren't holding our KKK rallies.
Yeah its increasingly annoying on GAF because they are usually extremely sensitive and accepting of different cultures but when the south gets brought up broad generalizations, stupid stereotypes and ignorant comments get dropped left and right. The mods don't seem to mind much either but if it was about any other region/group/culture the user would be warned or banned.

Why? It's true. GLAAD is a hate group. When I say LGBT gangs, I don't mean actual gay people. I mean the people who go out and try to ruin people's lives for speaking their mind.
You mean like those Christians who go out and put up signs that say "God hates fags"?
Yeah, speaking their mind.

mal-speechless.gif

Yeah, you're real inclusive of gays, you really should be commended for the effort! Let's all give this man a medal.

We all know where you're going with this, so just come out and say it instead of beating around the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom