• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

There's so may gems in this.

Glomgold's assassins.

Webbie trying to lie and Louie getting a kick out of it.

Launchpad dropping in out of nowhere to speak Swedish.

Gabby McStabberson is the best name ever!

I'm watching the repeat on XD and they had a cool commercial about the original comics.

thefro

Very good premiere.

Tennant is fantastic, as is the voice actor for Launchpad. I like the fact that all the characters have unique personalities now.

Loved the
teaser at the end about Della

My only complaint would be I'd like the adventuring to joke ratio to be a little higher, but that will probably work itself out when they don't have to do character exposition dumps. Not that there wasn't adventure here but it seemed like the adventuring stopped for them to talk instead of banter while they were adventuring at points.

Great stuff. Very pleasantly surprised. Hopefully more of Rosa's stuff gets in the show eventually, but this is already a fantastic start. And
Della?
PKJO9x1.jpg

We can see the names of the various McDuck ancestors on Webby's board, though all are from assorted Barks stories (though I'm not sure about Dirty Dingus.)

Now I want to see how they connect the Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers universe into this.

They said that Disney allowed them free reign in incorporate other Afternoon shows into this Ducktales, EXCEPT for Chip & Dale, since their rights are tangled up in a feature perpetually in development hell.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Outstanding premiere!!!!!!!! Loved loved loved it.

And this is coming from someone who ran home after school everyday to watch new episodes of the original, and am currently into the bubba mini series on a watch through now.

The only downside I can come up with is I almost would have preferred this be expanded into 3-4 episodes instead of two. Feels like they rushed a little.

But yeah, this was awesome!!

Got to see some of this and liked what I saw. Kids enjoyed it too. Loved the St. canard mention. Didn't realize this is based of the comic series. I always thought duck tales was a Disney afternoon cartoon first and foremost.

So as someone who grew up with the original, where can I learn about the comics it's based on? Any chance of gizmo duck or darkwing duck showing up? I heard st canard mentioned.

I'd be fascinating to see a Rescue Rangers where they're actually a regular detective agency and "regular" sized. Defeats the purpose of the original (Tiny critters in a Human world) but would fit better in this universe. I mean, Mickey's normal sized.

Same with Talespin.
They mention Cape Suzette, but Talespin was set in a kind of 1930's world.

Them being rather flippant about Cartoon Animals vs real animals weirds me out, but then that's always the Disney way. First thing you see is a regular Seagull here, and apparently the Chubacabra was just a Bear. Baloo would be the same size as it!
They'd never make them "regular" sized and Mickey being a mouse has nothing to do with it. Even with the logic of "Mickey is a mouse and he's normal sized" he, Donald, Goofy, and many other characters have interacted with Chip and Dale through history and Chip and Dale have always been chipmunk sized in comparison, I don't think there's ever been a case where they weren't small. I actually strongly reject the idea of Chip and Dale being the same size as the rest of the group, it would make their shitty mischievous behavior feel really weird and bad IMO. Part of why their relationship with the other characters works is because of the David VS Goliath aspect of it, if they were normal sized it would just be Donald getting into fistfights with chipmunks his own size instead of all the clever back and forth with traps and things.

They said that Disney allowed them free reign in incorporate other Afternoon shows into this Ducktales, EXCEPT for Chip & Dale, since their rights are tangled up in a feature perpetually in development hell.

FUCK.

DuckTales and even more specifically Rescue Rangers are what got me into wanting to be a cartoonist. What the fuck are the feature rights? Why are feature rights encroaching on TV rights? Why does DISNEY need to even worry about that kind of shit with their own properties!?! Is it a Rescue Rangers feature that's in development hell or is it specifically just the characters of Chip and Dale?

Ugh man that really pisses me off, what an awful horribly disappointing thing to learn. ;__;

Future

I grew up with duck tales

Gotta say they fucking nailed this cartoon. Based on ads I was worried about the voices. While the clearly adult playing kid voices get a bit getting used to (they yell constantly to sound more kid like I guess), it's all acted pretty well. Scrooge doesn't sound exactly like old Scrooge, but he still sounds Scrooge. He nailed the pitch changes, cackling and yelling old Scrooge used to do and his personality is on point. He sounds just as well acted as old Scrooge and by the end of the episode I was drawn in

Fuck. In my 30s probably gonna watch new duck tales. Never would have thought

JSevere

premiere was lots of fun, looking forward to seeing more. geeked that Donald is going to be a main character in this show. was also wondering throughout
what happened to the nephews' parents and then they dropped the tease for the mom at the end. really interested in seeing that plot thread unravel.

They have the premiere up on Disney's XD website!

That was so much better than I thought it would be holy shit. I was hoping it would be good but man it was really good. I can't wait to watch more and see them flesh out the Disney Afternoon Universe, which I think feels like a pretty obvious road they want to go down with callbacks and cameos and such.

People worrying about TaleSpin, the era of that show is never explicitly mentioned and it can very easily be hand waved as just saying "They're a little behind the times over there" and it's done.

Really like soul-crushingly disappointed by the restriction on Rescue Rangers now that I've seen how good this was. Someone get that fucking movie out of production.

It's kind of weird that Mickey never got a TV show. Donald had DuckTales, Goofy had Goof Troop, Chip & Dale had Rescue Rangers, the only one of the Fab Five that never showed up or had a show is Mickey. Not that I'm hurting to see him pop up here or anything, just something that occurred to me while thinking of the crossovers and old DA cartoons. I wonder what kind of show would even suit him, Goofy had family sitcom, Chip & Dale had mystery, Donald had adventure. Huh.

Sponge

Banned
Just finished watching the pilot and now I'm hooked. Caught a lot of name drops like St. Canard, Cape Suzette, and Spoonerville. We know Darkwing is going to be in this, but does the later two mean Talespin and Goof Troop characters might show up?

Also is it me or did they really just do a Lupin the Third visual gag?

Lcqsm7T.png

Blues1990

DHCNOFCU0AAKy-f.jpg

Hi, Roxanne.

Ha! Wouldn't surprise me to see teenage/young adult Max in this show as a cameo.

I'm more surprised that Duckworth hasn't appeared. I know Beakly fills the role of Brock Sampson bodyguard & caretaker, but you'd think he'd made a cameo of some sort (unless I completely missed it).

B.K.

So as someone who grew up with the original, where can I learn about the comics it's based on? Any chance of gizmo duck or darkwing duck showing up? I heard st canard mentioned.

It's already confirmed Gizmo Duck and Darkwing Duck will show up in the new series.

Ha! Wouldn't surprise me to see teenage/young adult Max in this show as a cameo.

I'm more surprised that Duckworth hasn't appeared. I know Beakly fills the role of Brock Sampson bodyguard & caretaker, but you'd think he'd made a cameo of some sort (unless I completely missed it).

That's Roxanne? I thought she just a random attractive woman.

Cool start. I like the hints to the past drama between charactsrs like Donald and Scrooge for example. Alongside the last line before credits hit, it looks like a lot of relationships from the past will be a central focus of the season and run parallel to the relationship between the kids and their elders. In other words, a show about generations.

That was fun.

Yup, I really digged it.

I grew up with duck tales

Gotta say they fucking nailed this cartoon. Based on ads I was worried about the voices. While the clearly adult playing kid voices get a bit getting used to (they yell constantly to sound more kid like I guess), it's all acted pretty well. Scrooge doesn't sound exactly like old Scrooge, but he still sounds Scrooge. He nailed the pitch changes, cackling and yelling old Scrooge used to do and his personality is on point. He sounds just as well acted as old Scrooge and by the end of the episode I was drawn in

Fuck. In my 30s probably gonna watch new duck tales. Never would have thought

Haha, yeah, that was so damned good.

SoilBreak

Banned
Just finished watching the pilot and now I'm hooked. Caught a lot of name drops like St. Canard, Cape Suzette, and Spoonerville. We know Darkwing is going to be in this, but does the later two mean Talespin and Goof Troop characters might show up?

Also is it me or did they really just do a Lupin the Third visual gag?

Lcqsm7T.png

Definitely a Lupin the Third visual gag.

I'm a grown-ass man, but I had a wide grin when the theme kicked in. Good reboot (but even I had to rewind to catch what Donald was saying at times).

"We've got a pretty low-key day planned." ;)

I've missed him too much since his turn on Doctor Who.

"Since when was Launchpad a pilot?!"

LOL, also the way he just pops up when needed lol.
"Have you ever piloted a sub before?"

"A-and you already hit it two times didn't you?" ;)

Also Scrooge's reaction after everything was over at the end of the first part was so good LOL.

I'm a grown-ass man, but I had a wide grin when the theme kicked in. Good reboot (but even I had to rewind to catch what Donald was saying at times).

Yeah, I like this new version of theme.

The background music in general was also quite nice at fitting all the various moods.

Just finished it and damn loved it. Love how Webby and Beakley are re imagined.

Yeah!

RK128

Wow...I mean, I knew Disney would do a great job, considering recent animated shows they put out like 'Star Vs.' and 'Penn Zero' are quite good. But I had such a stupid grin on my face when watching the entire special.

So much care clearly was put into the world building, as nods toward other Disney Afternoon shows are very evident in the opening few minutes. Scrooge being in a meeting where town names of Darkwing Duck (confirmed to get a cameo a while back via Comic Con) and Goof Troop are referenced alongside the name of Tail Spin's city being mentioned by a character. It helps establish 'Yeah, this is one large world but the main story is on Scrooge and the Duck-characters', while also opening the door to other cameos.

We even see an older Roxane show up (seemingly)! That is quite nice :). But back to the special itself. The characters of Scrooge and Donald are quite interesting. The former loves adventuring still but is retired. The later is bitter at how 'careless' Scrooge seemingly was when he adventured with him. Donald knows his stuff, shown a few times during the special. So looking forward toward Donald being more of a hero.

The Nephews being so different, the re-imagined takes on Webby and Mrs. Beakly, and the overall dynamics between everyone was fantastic. Really like how Dewey is getting focus, as he just wants to be accepted by his other uncle. Him being the 'heart' in many cases (hearing Scrooge talk about how 'family is trouble', discovering the bit about his mom at the end, working hard to impress his other uncle, etc) lead to fun moments.

Scrooge and Glamgold were amazing too, as was Launchpad. Overall, I just love the show so far. My only real issue is the humor sometimes being 'off'. But outside of that one little bit (not even an issue, as the writing could get better as the show goes along), it's a fantastic start to likely one of Disney's best modern cartoon series.

It has the heart of the original series, nods to it's origins in other mediums (comics, games, etc) and it's just great seeing some of my favorite characters (Donald and Scrooge) get major TV spotlight again.

Blues1990

Have they uploaded the premiere movie on Disney XD's website? I couldn't find it earlier this morning, so I assumed it will be a while before it gets added.

That's Roxanne? I thought she just a random attractive woman.

latest

Aside from the lack of mole under her left eye, it definitely looks like an updated design of Roxy from A Goofy Movie.

PK Gaming

So that was pretty great. It captured the spirit of the original show, but greatly expanded on the core cast (let's be honest, the only worthwhile character on the original show was Scrooge). The writing's charming, the show's got good pacing and the animation's pretty enjoyable

Can't wait to see more.

Have they uploaded the premiere movie on Disney XD's website? I couldn't find it earlier this morning, so I assumed it will be a while before it gets added.

latest

Aside from the lack of mole under her left eye, it definitely looks like an updated design of Roxy from A Goofy Movie.

With the attention to detail they put into this I cannot imagine they would leave off something as "important" as her beauty mark, so IMO that is not Roxanne unless they explicitly say it.

Plus, they either reuse her design later or it's intentionally the same character who was just looking for a new job, but they show her again at the end as a reporter. So I definitely don't think it's Roxanne. Just a random dog person.

Also worth noting that Roxanne has ears on the sides of her head like a human, not floppy dog ears on the top of her head.

And yes it's on their website now and the Disney XD app too, I've watched it twice already :D

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This was fucking amazing. I had high expectations and was still blown away.

Hot damn, I already loved the other references, but this is amazing.

Yeah, did not expect that. :)

The Nephews being so different, the re-imagined takes on Webby and Mrs. Beakly, and the overall dynamics between everyone was fantastic. Really like how Dewey is getting focus, as he just wants to be accepted by his other uncle. Him being the 'heart' in many cases (hearing Scrooge talk about how 'family is trouble', discovering the bit about his mom at the end, working hard to impress his other uncle, etc) lead to fun moments.

Yeah, Webby and Mrs. Beakly were awesome and I love their quirks and personalities. Their moment at the end was also really good both as a moment between them and Mrs. Beakly's trust/respect of Scrooge. Webby is also absolutely terrible at lying ROFL. And Mrs. Beakly's been training her. :D

Yeah, a lot of great development and detail for Dewey, hopefully they keep that up, and since the other two only had time for a couple of little moments I look forward to them getting character development attention as well.

There was so much more character building and world building stuff than I expected. Absolutely fantastic premiere.

RK128

Yeah, Webby and Mrs. Beakly were awesome and I love their quirks and personalities. Their moment at the end was also really good both as a moment between them and Mrs. Beakly's trust/respect of Scrooge. Webby is also absolutely terrible at lying ROFL. And Mrs. Beakly's been training her. :D

Yeah, a lot of great development and detail for Dewey, hopefully they keep that up, and since the other two only had time for a couple of little moments I look forward to them getting character development attention as well.

There was so much more character building and world building stuff than I expected. Absolutely fantastic premiere.

I loved how Webby was introduced to the Nephews.

"You will be my friends?"

"Only if you don't kill us...."

She is going to be fun to watch XD! Her dynamic with her mom was well-written too, showing how both will grow across the series. And yeah, Dewey looks to be the 'main' nephew currently, though I'm positive the other ones will get their 'time in spotlight' as the series continues.

I didn't expect that much world building either, but it just showed how tightly written the show currently is.

The U.S. website keeps redirecting me to the Canadian branch, which doesn't have it. It also doesn't appear on the app, so I'm at a loss.

Really!? Where are you located? I watched it once on my computer on their website and then once my girlfriend woke up I downloaded the Disney XD Apple TV app and we watched it together there.

Here's a direct link, does that work?

Blues1990

Really!? Where are you located? I watched it once on my computer on their website and then once my girlfriend woke up I downloaded the Disney XD Apple TV app and we watched it together there.

Here's a direct link, does that work?

I'm in Canada, and it immediately made an error with the message "We can only broadcast this episode for citizens of the United States, blah blah blah."

127.gif

With the attention to detail they put into this I cannot imagine they would leave off something as "important" as her beauty mark, so IMO that is not Roxanne unless they explicitly say it.

Plus, they either reuse her design later or it's intentionally the same character who was just looking for a new job, but they show her again at the end as a reporter. So I definitely don't think it's Roxanne. Just a random dog person.

Also worth noting that Roxanne has ears on the sides of her head like a human, not floppy dog ears on the top of her head.

And yes it's on their website now and the Disney XD app too, I've watched it twice already :D

maybe roxyanne got a new look when she grew up. some plastic surgery to fit her new lifestyle.

That was not real swedish just so you know...

I like the art style (Donalds black shirt!) but still feel they should have kept the same character designs. Like Flintheart Glomgold who I've always thought was meant to look like a split image of Scrooge and Matilda.

Top Bottom