• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Disney XD has slotted an August premiere date for its new animated comedy-adventure series DuckTales. It will kick off with an hourlong television movie to be presented for 24 consecutive hours beginning at midnight, Saturday, August 12 on Disney XD. The series will then will debut with two new episodes Saturday, September 23 (7:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m., 10:30 p.m., EDT/PDT). Each will also be available on the Disney XD app and Disney XD VOD on these same dates. The September series premiere coincides with the 30th anniversary of the original Emmy-winning series.

https://deadline.com/2017/06/ducktales-cartoon-reboot-premiere-date-disney-xd-1202113080/

JSevere

NEW VERSION OF THE THEME SONG

and poster

146971_0001.jpg

RPGCrazied

I'll give it a try. Loved the older series. Don't like the kids voices, but maybe I'll get use to it. I hope this does well so they can release the older toon in full on bluray.

I like it a lot. I was a bit worried when previous trailers only used instrumental versions of the theme, and I'm glad we have lyrics. It's a good cover.

7Th

The art and style is actually pretty good and it looks great in the intro; the main problem is that the episodes themselves look pretty stiff. They should have gone with Mercury Filmworks like SvFE's first season but I guess they're too busy with the Lion Guard and the Tangled series.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm about halfway through the original series so far.

Really hoping this series continues in the tradition of the Carl Barks style.. I am on board with the art style and voice casting.. But Ducktales IS Barks.. hopefully they respect that.

I'll give it a try. Loved the older series. Don't like the kids voices, but maybe I'll get use to it. I hope this does well so they can release the older toon in full on bluray.

Funny that you mention blu-ray. So the series is on iTunes.. where I've been buying it. I also bought Chip N Dales season 1 which was in HD. wha-!?!?!?!? Yeah, that was weird. I look at ALL OTHER Disney Afternoon and it's all SD, but for some reason CnD S1 is HD..

I am not sure there is HD available for these. For stuff going directly to TV the film was never thought of as archival, just a transfer mechanism. This is different than like Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry and stuff which were originally run as shorts in theaters.

But definitely weird that at least 1 season of this stuff has apparently appeared in HD.

Can't wait I really like what I have seen so far. It will be tough to top the og Duck Tales 1st run the pirate ship...the crazy old man so good.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I really like the comic book aesthetic that they went for here. It bodes well for the respect they're hopefully paying to Scrooge's roots.

RPGCrazied

IFunny that you mention blu-ray. So the series is on iTunes.. where I've been buying it. I also bought Chip N Dales season 1 which was in HD. wha-!?!?!?!? Yeah, that was weird. I look at ALL OTHER Disney Afternoon and it's all SD, but for some reason CnD S1 is HD..

Someone said the old DuckTales is on iTunes in HD. Now why would they not release it on bluray if they already did the work remastering the video?

The more of this I see the more impressed I get by it.

Sure it's not exactly like the original series and yes, nobody can even replace Alan Young as THE definitive Scrooge but it looks great fun none the less.

Can't say I'm a fan of the new artstyle, the characters don't look like duck-universe characters imo. I'm sure it's fine for new watchers, but it just seems off for me.

I like the new take on the song. Familiar but different enough for a new series. Some of the animation in the intro is nice, but a lot of it felt pretty flat too. Like when the specter passes in front of the screen after scaring the kids and all that 2D running. The original into had far more dynamic scenes, and just more scenes in general. But overall I'm very optimistic about this new show. Looking forward to it.

Mr. Hyde

I really love the comic book art style they're going for. I believe the gravity falls background artist is doing it.

Holy shit Mrs Bentina Beakly has worked out and is fucking jacked!

Love it!

"How do we make Mrs. Beakly a more interesting character?"

"Now she's Scrooge's muscle on missions."

"Perfect! Let's give Webby a grappling hook while we're at it."

I love the changes, especially now that the nephews have distinct personalities and voices and Webby isn't just "the girl".

Holy shit Mrs Bentina Beakly has worked out and is fucking jacked!

Love it!

Will Mrs. Beakly have more of a Brock Samson role? That would be pretty awesome.

Now I want some fanart of them all as the venture bros. cast. Who would Donald be? Pete White?

Fuck it, I'm down. New art style looks really nice, but judging from the theme song does that mean that Launchpad McQuack won't be playing a prominent role?

Makonero

This looks fantastic and adventure-y, the theme song is hype as hell, and I'm so ready for a dose of DuckTale brand optimism. They're doing it all right thus far! Love the bouncing lucky dime throughout the intro.

Zeeman

This looks fantastic and adventure-y, the theme song is hype as hell, and I'm so ready for a dose of DuckTale brand optimism. They're doing it all right thus far! Love the bouncing lucky dime throughout the intro.

That reminds me, have the creators mentioned whether it's his lucky dime or Number One dime in this? I know they've looked at the comics more for inspiration and Don Rosa is obsessed with nothing about Scrooge being luck-based.

They're really embracing the screentone/comic style. Reminds me of the similar pop-art intro to the Brave and the Bold.

Hey wait, that big wooden version of Gyro's helper looks inspired by Robot Carnival.
A bunch of the staff are big mecha nerds, so it makes sense.

The art and style is actually pretty good and it looks great in the intro; the main problem is that the episodes themselves look pretty stiff. They should have gone with Mercury Filmworks like SvFE's first season but I guess they're too busy with the Lion Guard and the Tangled series.

The reason the production values are not at their handsomest might be because they were expecting the Tangled series to be the breakout hit, and were surprised that the Ducktales reveal got a huge positive reaction. Considering that the showrunner said he had to pitch the show, the decision to make it in the first place might not have come from the higher-ups (or maybe it did, and they were just choosing the right pitch, I don't know.)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Someone said the old DuckTales is on iTunes in HD. Now why would they not release it on bluray if they already did the work remastering the video?

nope. I have the entire series on iTunes. Only SD. If you read the same post, I say the only HD Disney Afternoon up there is a volume of Chip n Dales for some weird reason. Everything else is SD.

The reason the production values are not at their handsomest might be because they were expecting the Tangled series to be the breakout hit, and were surprised that the Ducktales reveal got a huge positive reaction. Considering that the showrunner said he had to pitch the show, the decision to make it in the first place might not have come from the higher-ups (or maybe it did, and they were just choosing the right pitch, I don't know.)

To be fair, the Tangled series looks gorgeous from what I've seen when my baby sister and niece watch it. I don't know if it's been a breakout hit, but it's certainly doesn't seem like a bad show.

I think it's also very obvious that this Ducktales reboot has the ability to get both young fans who know nothing about it and older fans in it for the nostalgia. Disney XD has built itself quite the roster of shows with Rebel, Star Vs, Gravity Falls (if you count canceled shows), and now Ducktales. If its Marvel shows weren't all terrible, then it'd be unstoppable.

Don't like the new version of the song. Sounds like they got some Disney Channel starlet to sing a pop version. Smart marketing and the kids will probably like it but yuck.

Tizoc

To be fair, the Tangled series looks gorgeous from what I've seen when my baby sister and niece watch it. I don't know if it's been a breakout hit, but it's certainly doesn't seem like a bad show.

I think it's also very obvious that this Ducktales reboot has the ability to get both young fans who know nothing about it and older fans in it for the nostalgia. Disney XD has built itself quite the roster of shows with Rebel, Star Vs, Gravity Falls (if you count canceled shows), and now Ducktales. If its Marvel shows weren't all terrible, then it'd be unstoppable.

Gravity Falls ended as it was intended, dunno how you'd say it's canceled.

That is one jacked Beagle Boy

You mean Ms. Beagley (sp).

Santar

Enjoyable new intro and version of the song.
I am a bit concerned about the series after that awful awful Donald birthday cake candle clip though. It's like they just pulled the most overused generic bit of "comedy" from a 100 year old barrel and slapped Donald in there.

In fact it seems to me that ever since the classic shorts Disney have really struggled to find the right tone for Donald in animated form. His shorts in House of Mouse were also pretty crappy for the most part. The comics are just soo much better it's almost scary.

In fact it seems to me that ever since the classic shorts Disney have really struggled to find the right tone for Donald in animated form. His shorts in House of Mouse were also pretty crappy for the most part. The comics are just soo much better it's almost scary.

In the classic shorts Donald was a somewhat sadistic asshole with anger management issues. That's why I love him dearly. Any attempt to make him nicer or more friendly for modern kiddies robs him of his defining features.

Richie

Enjoyable new intro and version of the song.
I am a bit concerned about the series after that awful awful Donald birthday cake candle clip though. It's like they just pulled the most overused generic bit of "comedy" from a 100 year old barrel and slapped Donald in there.

Preach! Post classic era, they've often seemed to take his speech as an excuse not to even try giving him a fuller personality, leading to several cases where Don's little more than a slapstick magnet with no backbone whatsoever; downright blasphemous considering his well known anger. The House of Mouse shorts you bring up are a good example, it's clear the staff was much more interested in doing Mickey and Goofy shorts than Don's (so you have stuff like an episode centered in Scrooge McDuck where both Mick and Goofy interact more with him than his freaking nephew). Quack Pack, too, reduced him to a prop most of the time, albeit that series in general rarely had quality writing so no surprise.

In the positive side, I think the original Ducktales series handled him well more often than not (sacrilege of removing his main role from Barks' comics aside) and the newest Mickey shorts are finally starting to tap some of Don's potential with pretty fun characterization and dialogue.

I'm hoping that this new series makes the effort to take full advantage of Donald. Portraying him as an overprotective parent of the nephews could go either way, but I'm intrigued about his past with Scrooge being the first season's arc, and thrilled that he's portrayed as a veteran, if retired, adventurer. Love that Webby fangirls over him too; please, let that be justified for the most part.

One more thing. For the love of God, don't make him the load, the scaredy fellow who sets the group back. Some clips have pointed in this direction and I'd loathe if they made him the guy that sucks the fun out of the room, it should be the opposite. For all his virtues and achievements, I feel Don Rosa, who's certainly enjoyed tons of popularity with modern Duck fans, didn't help the cause by making Donald so subservient and slapstick-prone in several of his stories. Not to say he didn't give the Duck some awesome moments, but in many tales he wrote him as a comic relief and little else, where in Barks' Scrooge adventures Don was an important asset and actively (and often eagerly) contributed to the goal at hand.

Raxus

A needlessly inferior version of something better.

And what's the deal with Mrs. Beakley in that trailer. That's one makeover.

Huey-Dewey-Louie-Webby.jpg

Based on this image and the theme song alone I think you can bet the girls in this series all got a heck of a makeover to be more adventurous.

Also, girls seem to LOVE grappling hooks huh?

tumblr_mri525Hqz91rcqmk0o2_500.gif

Can't wait for Ducktails. Disney XD has been killing it lately.

Top Bottom