• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

I like the art style, it's very much a call back to the comic style but the theme song is just meh.

I think this has mad potential though.

adj_noun

I yearn for a new Darkwing Duck if this does well.

That eventually morphs into a full Disney Afternoon relaunch

You mean Ms. Beagley (sp).

Ms. Beakley :)

I yearn for a new Darkwing Duck if this does well.

That eventually morphs into a full Disney Afternoon relaunch

I don't remember where I read it but I'm almost positive this is the plan. They're watching how DuckTales does, and if it does well, Darkwing is next.

Which I can understand since they can spin it off DuckTales, but I want Rescue Rangers to come back ;__;

fhqwhgads

Theme song is good, no idea why people think it would be better than the original. That's a herculean task that'll never be done.
I do worry that people are going to get waaaay too caught up comparing it to the OG series and not accept that it's trying to do some new things rather than be remastered shot for shot. Let the show do it's own thing without constantly worrying if it'll live up.

Makonero

I don't remember where I read it but I'm almost positive this is the plan. They're watching how DuckTales does, and if it does well, Darkwing is next.

Which I can understand since they can spin it off DuckTales, but I want Rescue Rangers to come back ;__;

can you imagine

an avengers style team up between all the disney afternoon reboots?!

chip and dale show up to recruit Huey, Louie and Dewey for the rescue ranger project?!

Wait, 24 hours?

I assume it's gonna be like when Adult Swim aired the Season 3 premier of Rick & Morty on April Fools all day. As soon as it's over they'll commercial break and then it'll start again.
can you imagine

an avengers style team up between all the disney afternoon reboots?!

chip and dale show up to recruit Huey, Louie and Dewey for the rescue ranger project?!

THIS IS MY DREAM. I'm pretty sure they did something a little bit similar with DuckTales and Darkwing in the past, and I thiiiiiink when they started making the Disney Afternoon shows into comics they did a crossover too? I would LOVE this to happen. I'd even take a new TaleSpin.

i mean, you should just be glad the theme is as close to the original as it is.

the audio in the theme video sounds off to me though. i can barely hear the vocals. it sounds muddied.

Santar

Preach! Post classic era, they've often seemed to take his speech as an excuse not to even try giving him a fuller personality, leading to several cases where Don's little more than a slapstick magnet with no backbone whatsoever; downright blasphemous considering his well known anger. The House of Mouse shorts you bring up are a good example, it's clear the staff was much more interested in doing Mickey and Goofy shorts than Don's (so you have stuff like an episode centered in Scrooge McDuck where both Mick and Goofy interact more with him than his freaking nephew). Quack Pack, too, reduced him to a prop most of the time, albeit that series in general rarely had quality writing so no surprise.

In the positive side, I think the original Ducktales series handled him well more often than not (sacrilege of removing his main role from Barks' comics aside) and the newest Mickey shorts are finally starting to tap some of Don's potential with pretty fun characterization and dialogue.

I'm hoping that this new series makes the effort to take full advantage of Donald. Portraying him as an overprotective parent of the nephews could go either way, but I'm intrigued about his past with Scrooge being the first season's arc, and thrilled that he's portrayed as a veteran, if retired, adventurer. Love that Webby fangirls over him too; please, let that be justified for the most part.

One more thing. For the love of God, don't make him the load, the scaredy fellow who sets the group back. Some clips have pointed in this direction and I'd loathe if they made him the guy that sucks the fun out of the room, it should be the opposite. For all his virtues and achievements, I feel Don Rosa, who's certainly enjoyed tons of popularity with modern Duck fans, didn't help the cause by making Donald so subservient and slapstick-prone in several of his stories. Not to say he didn't give the Duck some awesome moments, but in many tales he wrote him as a comic relief and little else, where in Barks' Scrooge adventures Don was an important asset and actively (and often eagerly) contributed to the goal at hand.

Yeah it's such a shame Donald hasn't been treated better in animated form when the Comics (especially Barks) were so amazing.
I think maybe it comes out of Donald being a lot more popular outside the US, where is where most of the animated stuff comes from. They just never quite "got" him in America it seems.

Donald is just so much more of a well rounded character in the comic books. I actually don't care too much for the Don Rosa stories though, it just never felt right to me that he sort of stole Barks universe and in a way grounded it too much in a more cynical reality which it didn't really need imo.
Hopefully this new series leans far more on the Barks versions of the characters, though apparently there has been sightings of Rosa stuff in there already.

adj_noun

I assume it's gonna be like when Adult Swim aired the Season 3 premier of Rick & Morty on April Fools all day. As soon as it's over they'll commercial break and then it'll start again.

THIS IS MY DREAM. I'm pretty sure they did something a little bit similar with DuckTales and Darkwing in the past, and I thiiiiiink when they started making the Disney Afternoon shows into comics they did a crossover too? I would LOVE this to happen. I'd even take a new TaleSpin.

Legend of the Chaos God was pretty epic back in the day.

Ultimadrago

I almost wish they went with a new theme song, but that intro was pretty good. The art style works (as far as virtual re-imaginings go anyways).

All that's left is seeing enough of how the animation and writing work in the show and/or movie.

P.S. Holy crap has Mrs. Beakley been hitting the weights.

betinaefubc.jpg

Tizoc

Dang my ears, for the longest time I thought it was with a 'g' XP

I'm about halfway through the original series so far.

Really hoping this series continues in the tradition of the Carl Barks style.. I am on board with the art style and voice casting.. But Ducktales IS Barks.. hopefully they respect that.

Funny that you mention blu-ray. So the series is on iTunes.. where I've been buying it. I also bought Chip N Dales season 1 which was in HD. wha-!?!?!?!? Yeah, that was weird. I look at ALL OTHER Disney Afternoon and it's all SD, but for some reason CnD S1 is HD..

I am not sure there is HD available for these. For stuff going directly to TV the film was never thought of as archival, just a transfer mechanism. This is different than like Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry and stuff which were originally run as shorts in theaters.

But definitely weird that at least 1 season of this stuff has apparently appeared in HD.

holy crap HD? this is news to me, I will buy full series Disney afternoon stuff if it's all in HD. duck tales, rescue Rangers, dark wing duck...too nostalgic to pass up.

I'm about halfway through the original series so far.

Really hoping this series continues in the tradition of the Carl Barks style.. I am on board with the art style and voice casting.. But Ducktales IS Barks.. hopefully they respect that.

Funny that you mention blu-ray. So the series is on iTunes.. where I've been buying it. I also bought Chip N Dales season 1 which was in HD. wha-!?!?!?!? Yeah, that was weird. I look at ALL OTHER Disney Afternoon and it's all SD, but for some reason CnD S1 is HD..

I am not sure there is HD available for these. For stuff going directly to TV the film was never thought of as archival, just a transfer mechanism. This is different than like Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry and stuff which were originally run as shorts in theaters.

But definitely weird that at least 1 season of this stuff has apparently appeared in HD.

Yeah I heard about this on Toonzone, I think it's limited to Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop right now, but it seems like a legit remastering.

Also, the Carl Barks nods in the intro are amazing!

Crocodile

I dunno why but it seems like the characters (especially the ducks) run weird in the intro? A minor nitpick though - I hope this is a quality show and does well :)

Hazmat

I like it, looks like it could be fun. I loved Ducktales when I was a kid and while this probably won't come close to it I'm still looking forward to a new take on Ducktales.

Zeeman

Webby is basically Mabel from Gravity Falls, and I am totally down with that

e: Ugh, the Beakley video isn't available in Canada for some reason

For all his virtues and achievements, I feel Don Rosa, who's certainly enjoyed tons of popularity with modern Duck fans, didn't help the cause by making Donald so subservient and slapstick-prone in several of his stories. Not to say he didn't give the Duck some awesome moments, but in many tales he wrote him as a comic relief and little else, where in Barks' Scrooge adventures Don was an important asset and actively (and often eagerly) contributed to the goal at hand.

I've always felt that, in the Scrooge-centric universe that he shows in his stories, Rosa always had something like a grudge against Donald, often putting him in the worst possible light. Heck, sometimes it feels like even Gyro Gearloose gets more respect from Rosa than DD!
Rosa's Donald is always negative-thinking, always opposing to Scrooge's and HDL's ideas, always doing the most stupid thing just for the sake of it. If I didn't read stories from other authors, I think I would hate Donald and consider him one of the worst characters of the Duck Family.

Barks' Donald is a much better character. Taliaferro already made him a bit more competent in his strips, but when Barks takes his place as the "Duck Man", the character really evolves into something else. Actually, the thing with Barks is that he uses the "main" ducks as actors, more than characters. There isn't just one Donald (like the negative-minded guy by Rosa), but we see him taking different roles in different stories. He's generous in some, he's greedy and cynical in others, he's proficient in some, he's inept in some others. We can see this with HDL and Scrooge too, to a lesser degree. But with Donald, we have the wider spectrum of human behaviours compressed in one duck. And that makes him more likeable by a wider audience.
Donald as an actor is something we see in European stories as well (Barks is still the main influence for European authors when it comes to Ducks' stories, the same way Gottfredson is when it comes to Euro Mickey).

I don't think he's getting this kind of treatment in Duck Tales, but we'll see.

Renekton

What's Donald doing here?

Wasn't he absent throughout the OG series?

He seems like Scrat here, purely for cheap slapstick.

Blues1990

Three new videos highlighting some of the other characters.

Launchpad (this is my favorite)

Mrs. Beakley

Webby

Mrs. Beakley is fuckin' jacked.

Ah, good ol' Launchpad. Even in this 2017 reboot, he doesn't have a brain.

I love how Mrs. Beakly took out the ghost with little effort, & went back to hovering the household like it was nothing to get worked up about.

I'm unsure about Webby, but her new mannerisms & personality are a big improvement from the original series. Definitely want to see more of her.

Top Bottom