• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dude hacks Donkey Kong to replace Mario with Pauline so his daughter can play a girl

Salsa

DcAFPUE.jpg

d'awww

Video

Salsa

no, but apparently he's the same guy who hacked a proposal for his girlfriend on Klax for the gameboy color

that is to say, the dude worked on Klax, and programmed the proposal in there. It is actually in the commercial game.

story goes that the guy programmed that in the game when they started dating and five years later he sent the the code to tips and tricks and it got published, so he left the game boy with a copy of the magazine on that page for his wife for when she came home.

guy is nuts

JordanN

Banned
Eh, I find this pretty creepy. Like, what if she grows up thinking every video game must be female only and no one is there to hack it?

I guess as a one time thing it's ok. But reality has to kick in some time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Eh, I find this pretty creepy. Like, what if she grows up thinking every video game must be female only and no one is there to hack it?
That's right, what if women will think they can't enjoy games without men hacking it for them?

Salsa

I guess as a one time thing it's ok. But reality has to kick in some time.

what?

she is 3 years old

Salsa

do you really think this sparks any sort of "every game I play should be played as a girl!" thing rather than just something that relates more to dolls vs action figures kinda thing?

when I was a kid and a game gave me the option to choose a guy or a girl, I never in a fucking million years would have picked a girl. I turned out fine.

girls like girl things and boys like boy things, news at 11

not to mention the fact that if you wanna go with your logic, this hack makes the girl save the boy. Isn't that a more important lesson even? by what you're saying?

All that work and she probably never even made it to the second level.

But I guess if you want to waste time on useless side projects then this is as good as any.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
when I was a kid and a game gave me the option to choose a guy or a girl, I never in a fucking million years would have picked a girl.
And I always picked a girl. I also turned out fine. Wait...

girls like girl things and boys like boy thing
It's this kind of thinking is why we don't have more diversity in children's entertainment. Not being facetious here.

JordanN

Banned
do you really think this sparks any sort of "every game I play should be played as a girl!" thing rather than just something that relates more to dolls vs action figures kinda thing?

when I was a kid and a game gave me the option to choose a guy or a girl, I never in a fucking million years would have picked a girl. I turned out fine.

girls like girl things and boys like boy things, news at 11
I'm more referring to when she thought there was a Peach in Donkey Kong even though she was never there. My only concern is that it doesn't lead to rewriting narratives or said expectations. Everything else is fair game.

Salsa

It's this kind of thinking is why we don't have more diversity in children's entertainment. Not being facetious here.

Well, I dont get to make that happen nor I think does anyone else (in terms of parenting). It's a TV/other kids/society thing or whatever you wanna call it. You'd have to actively go against it. All I know is that if I gift my nephew something pink, he's gonna be pissed, and I really doubt that'll make him a super sexist macho man in the future.

Salsa

I'm more referring to when she thought there was a Peach in Donkey Kong even though she was never there.

uh, I dont think I understand

he played as Peach in Super Mario Bros 2. She wanted to do the same here but she couldnt, so her father hacked Pauline into the game to make her play as "peach" again.

what's weird about a girl playing another mario game and assuming she can play as Peach again?

CTLance

Cool dad. I wish there were more like him in this world.

I am a bit saddened by lots of relies in this thread. Seriously, guys, a small kid in bumfuck Idaho gets to play her game the way she wants to because her dad sat down and customized a game for her. This is what matters. Not her gender or her ability to play.

dock

'Females relying upon men to define their life options.'

Just kidding, this is great. He's an awesome dad.

JordanN

Banned
uh, I dont think I understand

he played as Peach in Super Mario Bros 2. She wanted to do the same here but she couldnt, so her father hacked Pauline into the game to make her play as "peach" again.

what's weird about a girl playing another mario game and assuming she can play as Peach again?
Edit: The second half of this post covers what I said.

I'm not going to drag this argument since I made my intentions clear.

7threst

All that work and she probably never even made it to the second level.

But I guess if you want to waste time on useless side projects then this is as good as any.

This kind of shows the importance of options, even in videogames. The guy is cool for doing this for his daughter. Far from useless imo.

Odrion

Banned
But Peach wasn't there originally. That's the point I'm making.

I'm not going to drag this argument since I made my intentions clear.
Well, I'm letting you know. This romhack is not going to cause her to expect every game to have a female in it.

Kiryu

Someday, she will be one of great legendary female gamer that we will remember because of his father who hacked the "Mario" game into "Peach game.

Riposte

Someday, she will be one of great legendary female gamer that we will remember because of his father who hacked the "Mario" game into "Peach game.

More like the leader of the Feminist Empire that hunts down men and turn them into women. Be afraid.

He certainly does have the option to buy games for her starring female character. Sadly, not very many, and not targeted at her age group. Also, a lot of the classic games starring girls are Japanese and not available in English.

There is, for instance, Magical Pop'n, which is a platformer starring a little girl. Love that game. There is also puzzle games like Panel de Pon. And there's Hello Kitty world. And there's also Magical Knight Rayearth RPG. All of those are Japan exclusive games, though.

There's of course modern games, too. I'd look into getter her something like Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and the upcoming A Hat in Time game. Though Twisted Dreams is a little scary, and one might want to wait until she's a little older.

I certianly do enjoy a good romack. Especially if it allows me to play as the girl instead of the guy. I really enjoy that Amy Rose Sonic the Hedgehog romhack out there, where the sprite of Sonic is replaced with that of the Amy Rose sprite from Sonic CD.

Added a huge extra dimension of fun to me playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog yet again.

Top Bottom