• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem 3D is 25 years old

Loke

duke-nukem-3d-poster.jpg

The King is 25 years old today! Released on January 29th 1996 Duke Nukem 3D took the world by storm with its roid-filled womanizing macho hero called Duke Nukem and his adventures through an alien infested Los Angeles and eventually through space and the moon. Duke Nukem 3D was lauded by critics and gamers (except for feminists) when it was released praising its level design, humor, gameplay, interactivity and for not being another shitty Doom-clone.

What are your fondest memories of the game? Did you ever play the shareware version beforehand? Share your thoughts.

While the modding scene is not as vast as that of Doom there are still custom maps and MODs being made for the game to this day. I can recommend a few below that you should definitely check out.

- AMC TC -

Episode1poster.jpg

The AMC TC is a total conversion that is set after the events of Duke Nukem 3D. You don't play as Duke Nukem but rather as a bunch of different characters all with their own set of unique abilities and weapons. This is probably the most ambitious MOD for Duke Nukem 3D and it's fantastic. Currently there are 3 episodes done with a total of 5.

Download: https://www.moddb.com/games/the-amc-tc/downloads/the-amc-tc-episodes-1-2-and-3

- WGRealms Demon Throne -

poster.jpg

WGRealms Demon Throne is a total conversion set in an alternate universe. You can play as two different characters; Duke Nukem and the melee-focused character called Jedrik. This MOD can be brutally hard, it's basically been called the Dark Souls of first person shooters. You will get your ass handed to you but that's also why it's so good and addictive.

Download: https://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2/downloads/demonthrone-100

- Duke Nukem: Alien Armageddon -

wallpaper.png

Duke Nukem: Alien Armageddon is a mod... with a shitload of content basically. You can play all the original episodes including the expansions packs plus a new whole episode called New Invasion. On top of this you can also play a episode called Space Gladiators which is basically Unreal Tournament with a Duke Nukem theme to it. Got loads of new weapons, enemies, maps... it's just too much to write down. Just go and try it out.

Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nuk...wnloads/alien-armageddon-314-space-gladiators

I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck.

video games gore GIF

Really great franchise. Really sad what Gearbox did to it.
I was taking a shit a few weeks ago and I was thinking about where they could take a new Duke and I think I got something.

I was thinking have an old washed up Duke Nukem working at a Duke Burger or movie theater where he's basically a laughing stock and no one believes him about back in the day exploits.

Of course the pig cops would make some kind of dramatic entrance and Duke has to save the day.

I don't know, seemed clever when I was pooping

bobone

Absolutely love this game. Played it on so many systems and so many releases.

Had an amazing time with the 20th Anniversary one on PS4.
One of the funnest Platinum trophies I got on that system.

Kimahri

Banned
Christ I feel old. I remember playing mp with a friend on dial up at 7-8 in the morning because that's when we could use the line without interruptions and speed was higher.

Had to cover the modem with a pillow so I didn't wake the entire damn house as I connected on my glorious 28.8. I can still remember the smell of it's plastic.. How the fuck can you wax nostalgic about a dial up modem?

Arkam

Adored me some Duke Nukem 3d back in the day. Had the first game and a few addons. Duke It Out in DC was super fun. First level I think was the Lincoln monument and the second was the WHite house (or reverse that maybe). Very Good stuff. Though I think I probably spent the most time playing with the modding tools in Duke Nukem Xtreme.

Duke is one of my favourite FPS of all time and it holds up incredibly well in my opinion. Playing through it again a few years back you realize how insanely ahead of its time the game was within the first couple levels. Really want to see Duke make a comeback somehow.

Also if you guys haven't played Ion Fury yet, I highly recommend it. Definitely worth checking out and a worthy successor to DN3D.

Excess

Thought I'd bump this thread just to let you all know that I'm trying to fuck my female co-worker, so I thought I'd share this amazing and intellectual article about Duke Nukem and his contributions to toxic masculinity.

Corgi1985

Banned
Duke 3d was exceptional at the time. The build engine was exciting back then. Cities actually looking like cities and not whatever the fuck Doom 2 tried to do.

Orta

Banned
Great memories. Didn't have a PC at the time so got the Saturn version which was a fantastic port. I think it was one of the first BBFC 18 rated console games, how I giggled listening to Duke effing and blinding, shitting on Aliens heads and whores flashing their tits on my tv screen.

What a shame Lobotomy Software disappeared. Sega should have snapped them up and put them to work on the Dreamcast.

duke-nukem-3d-sega-saturn-review.jpg

Fake

I have a great time playing this when I was a kid. Last year I got Duke Nukem 3D Aniversary ED. Is not amazing, but still good for playing like old times.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Duke 3D is of course best on pc but the console ports all deserve a shoutout. You couldn't go wrong with N64, PS1, or Saturn versions. Maybe the only 5th gen game where this was the case.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
A real classic. CD version and PSX version (Total Meltdown) are in the house (the latter because its the only direct Build engine port).

It never remains old, it powers huge ass mods (Also check out Imagination World 1 and 2, they are from some of the AMC devs and its also standalone) there is Ion Fury, and overall its still hugely solid. A true champion of time.

Too bad DNF was such a let dowj (Just an alright shooter). Bulletstorm and Serious Sam are the newer brothers on the block.

Loke

Duke 3D is of course best on pc but the console ports all deserve a shoutout. You couldn't go wrong with N64, PS1, or Saturn versions. Maybe the only 5th gen game where this was the case.

The PS1 version was kinda wonky with its shitty framerate but Duke Nukem 64 was legit badass (I did a level for DN3D that was based on the awesome stadium level from DN64). Love all the neat changes they did to the levels and weapons just a shame they neutered most of the sexual content.

cireza

Banned
Fantastic FPS. Great gameplay and level-design. Deserve its praise.

Always played the Saturn version, and still play to this day.

MiguelItUp

The world could really use another Duke Nukem right now.

I'd like a modern duke nukem. There's a lot to make fun of in the world today with a parody character.
Right?! Making a new and good Duke that's full on parodying everything would've been incredible. It's a shame that the IP has just been handled poorly the past decade and some change.

I still think there were moments in the original 3D that were really incredible for its time. I remember doing deathmatch with a few pals on Stadium and freezing one of them while they were jetpacking in the air. Their body fell and shattered on impact. It blew me away, lmao. I mean, clearly it was memorable. Here we are 25 years later and I still remember it vividly, lol.

Sub_Level

The PS1 version was kinda wonky with its shitty framerate but Duke Nukem 64 was legit badass (I did a level for DN3D that was based on the awesome stadium level from DN64). Love all the neat changes they did to the levels and weapons just a shame they neutered most of the sexual content.

PS1 version is indeed choppy but the custom soundtrack and the new episode are fantastic. Folks even ported the 4th episode to pc a while back. Worth a playthrough for sure.

Damn what a game, I replay it from time to time and it still holds up like a motherfucker. Freeway might be my favorite FPS map of all time, I just love it. Shrapnel City is just highlight after highlight. Even Lunar Apocalypse gets an unfair treatment.

Zoomer shooter fans need not apply.

Thought I'd bump this thread just to let you all know that I'm trying to fuck my female co-worker, so I thought I'd share this amazing and intellectual article about Duke Nukem and his contributions to toxic masculinity.

Man, I'd love to see what this guy has to say about Shadow Warrior. The fact that he doesn't mention it at all makes me think he might not even know it exists. That game is so offensive it makes Duke 3D look like an episode of Sesame Street in comparison.

Loke

PS1 version is indeed choppy but the custom soundtrack and the new episode are fantastic. Folks even ported the 4th episode to pc a while back. Worth a playthrough for sure.

Also check out the DN64 port.

Sub_Level

Love the guns but the Ice Thrower is useless. AND it can damage you.

I guess some people use it on the episode 4 enemies? Lol.

HotPocket69

Banned
This was my first dial up online PvP experience back in 1996.

NO MOM DONT PICK UP THE PHONE!

Duke3D, Quake 1, LucasArts adventures, Crusader No Remorse ahhhhh PC gaming in the late 90s fucking ruled 😎

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic game! Fun fact: There was supposed to be a remake but it got canned because Gearbox was jealous that it was better than Forever.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I loved the original when I was a kid. Played through the Vita version (Atomic Edition, I think) and it's a lot less raunchy than I remember.

Loke

Love the guns but the Ice Thrower is useless. AND it can damage you.

I guess some people use it on the episode 4 enemies? Lol.

It's okay, got some use against the Protector Drones since it can stunlock them, otherwise there are better alternatives like the Shrinker which is really overpowered.

Funnily the Freezethrower in DNF is almost useless. But when you complete the game you unlock the classic DN3D variant which is almost godlike.

(2:55 for the classic version)

amigastar

Hey, it's okay. We got to experience these games at launch that these kiddos didn't get to. Both sides win! Haha.

Not to mention they'll NEVER understand the amazing infancy of the internet. Man, I really miss the Mplayer, Heat.net, and Gamespy 3D days. Man, and modem to modem!
True, just seeing Super Mario 64 for the first time. The first jump from 2D to 3D was something special back then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom