• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever (PC/PS3/360, 2011) announced by Gearbox/T2, playable at PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuBurns said:
I really can't think of any competitive games where this would be good, and I can't think of any co-op games that are on Windows Live that would be a draw either.

Why are you arguing over such a cool feature, it's simple

"Do you want to play against PC/Xbox 360 gamers yes/no"

balance issue gone

You also say you can't think of any games on windows live, that's because so many don't bother with windows live, you can bet they would if it supported cross platform properly

luka

Loves Robotech S1
StuBurns said:
Unless they let you filter for input method, you'd just have kb/m users on PC destroying 360 players, making XBL, which I'd argue is MSs only real advantage in the 'war', less competitive for players. I think that would be a considerable mistake.

Actually, when I played Halo 2 PC I found I did far better online using a pad due to the egregious amount of autoaim it applies to them. My K/D ratio shot up like 50%. :lol

teacupcopter said:
You also say you can't think of any games on windows live, that's because so many don't bother with windows live, you can bet they would if it supported cross platform properly

I'm actually quite thankful games like Lost Planet Colonies supported GFWL. There are still people playing it on xbox and without them it would have been a ghost town. No one played the steam-based original release of LP .

MNC

Yeah, I mean, no auto-aim/precise controls versus auto-aim/pad controls. Tbh, seems like a pretty standard trade off which could make it work.

Truespeed

StuBurns said:
EDIT: I believe 3DR had a 360 SKU in development to some degree, I'm sure Gearbox helped get that much further, but I think they had the footwork in place for that version.

Not according to Randy

What Gearbox inherited when it bought the Duke Nukem intellectual property, says Pitchford, wasn’t a game that was as complete as some might think. And there were no console versions at all. “There was a lot of work there, but there wasn’t a game. What there was was a lot of great tech, a lot of great features and subsystems, a lot of great gameplay mechanics. It was a lot of stuff, but it wasn’t assembled into a game.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
CrazedArabMan said:
This argument though only applies if someone really doesn't like using a keyboard and mouse for almost anything, now if they can tolerate that, then you have a very valid point. And I have done what you are suggesting and I still prefer using my xbox over my PC, once again just preference.

personal preference: the alamo of the irrational.

StuBurns

Banned
Truespeed said:
Not according to Randy
It's interesting, I can't remember where I read they were working on a 360 version, but given GBs comments about the game design being 'consolized' with two weapon slots etc, it would appear it was never going to be PC exclusive.

StuBurns said:
It's interesting, I can't remember where I read they were working on a 360 version, but given GBs comments about the game design being 'consolized' with two weapon slots etc, it would appear it was never going to be PC exclusive.
of course it never was. they announced console versions already for the previous console generation (http://cube.ign.com/articles/094/094538p1.html). but yeah 3dr/triptych was only working on the pc version, with design decisions already thought through for consoles

Mr.NiceGuy

This week show from G4tv's Feedback:

http://g4tv.com/videos/48536/Feedback----PAX-Prime-Edition/?quality=hd

Video Description: We went to Seattle, we checked out PAX, we braved Duke Nukem, and we're bringing it all back home to you. Check our our very special LIVE! edition of Feedback, recorded for you at PAX 2010.

Put this one also here because at the beginning of the panel they are talking about Duke Nukem Foever with the appearance of special guest the voice over of the duke (I'm still watching it right now so excuse the lack of descriptions)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Mr.NiceGuy said:
This week show from G4tv's Feedback:

http://g4tv.com/videos/48536/Feedback----PAX-Prime-Edition/?quality=hd

Put this one also here because at the beginning of the panel they are talking about Duke Nukem Foever with the appearance of special guest the voice over of the duke (I'm still watching it right now so excuse the lack of descriptions)

Good stuff. Interesting hearing StJohn's take on things.

...Still waiting on that trailer. :p

Broman1978

:lol :lol

I7hPQ.jpg

Graphics Horse said:
I guess there's possible benefits for that in games where you can't pick up new weapons all over the place, but this isn't one of those games. Assets could be loaded in mid swapping animation if needed, but I think that applies to any weapon style.
Reminds me of running Wolfenstein on a 286 laptop, the game would pause when you first fired a new gun, took a while loading the uncached sound or animation.

Wow you had it playable on a 286? I remember it not playing great even when I got a whopping 386 15 mhz PC.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Wow you had it playable on a 286? I remember it not playing great even when I got a whopping 386 15 mhz PC.

Pretty sure it was... never said anything about it playing great! Probably shrank the window down to a tiny box in the middle of the screen. I think the laptop had a monochrome screen too.

I remember upgrading my PC to a whopping 16MB of RAM to run this bad boy.

For the lolz:

Duke Nukem 3D System Requirements

486DX2/66 with 8 megabytes of memory and VGA graphics. We STRONGLY recommend a good Pentium with 16Mb of memory and PCI local bus video.

For the SVGA modes, a VESA compliant video card is required. Please see your video card's manual for info on how to find out if your card is VESA compliant. If yours is not VESA compliant, you will need to use a software driver to provide this compliance. We suggest a driver such as Display Doctor.

For game play, the following devices are optionally supported: Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Gravis Gamepad.

The following sound cards/devices are optionally supported for music: Gravis UltraSound, Sound Blaster (all of them), SoundMan16, Pro Audio Spectrum, SoundScape, Waveblaster, Sound Canvas, Adlib, and General MIDI.

The following sound cards/devices are optionally supported for sound effects: Sound Blaster (all of them), Gravis UltraSound, SoundMan16, Pro Audio Spectrum, SoundScape, Disney/Tandy Sound Sources.

There is no support for the PC Speaker.

Duke Nukem 3D is a DOS game.
http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/

My first ever PC came with Duke 3D: Atomic preloaded! :D

Then a couple of years later I broke it by messing with config files trying to unlock all weapons or something, not knowing what the hell I was doing I ended up with bins and toilets flying around the screen iirc. :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think I might visit my old place next week and take a photo of a Big Box. May be there is even a floppy inside.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
So now that the game is coming out, these were posted on the Zbrush forum a year ago showing some of the characters that we will probably see in the game seeing as they said they are keeping the assets. I would give the artist his due but all I can find in the thread is posted under "marks":

dukeasb8d.jpg

leech11abyb9.jpg

octabrain18zbi.jpg

Link to original thread on Zbrush forum which has untextured versions of these models:

NSFW, thar be boobies in here

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=70670&page=1&pp=40

Spoo

Since, like, there's tits... you may want to remove one of those pics.

As for the assets, sure, they'll keep some, but I don't think the Duke model is the same. I believe it's changed. You can see what (obviously) looks like an in-game Duke at dukenukem.com.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
charlequin said:
c'mon, is "don't post pictures of naked titties inline" really that hard a guideline to follow

This is the first forum (other forums being cgsociety and zbrush-central) I've posted on where you need a NSFW for an alien, that is a digital creature that has breast. Didn't think it was a very big deal but hey, I apologize I wasn't more sensitive to this board's rules.

Seda

Thunderbear said:
This is the first forum (other forums being cgsociety and zbrush-central) I've posted on where you need a NSFW for an alien, that is a digital creature that has breast. Didn't think it was a very big deal but hey, I apologize I wasn't more sensitive to this board's rules.

I don't think supervisors or other employees seeing naked breasts on an employee's screen would care if its a human being or not. It's simply "not safe".

Thunderbear said:

Not my rules, but that's a cocooned woman fwiw.

Thunderbear said:
This is the first forum (other forums being cgsociety and zbrush-central) I've posted on where you need a NSFW for an alien, that is a digital creature that has breast.

Are you kidding me? A realistic depiction of a female breast is obviously going to be a problem regardless of whether it's technically "real" or not. You'd need to tag an obviously unreal cartoonish drawing of a giant penis too. Apply basic common sense to thinking about what the letters NSFW stand for and what conclusions one can draw from that.

Omikron

Not quite sure if this interview was posted, but kind of continues the whole two weapon thing....

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65514

Shacknews: To wrap things up, one of the biggest topics people are talking about is the move to two weapons at a time. What's with the decision on the limit?

Steve Gibson: I wasn't part of that decision. I can understand and sympathize. You've got to also look at the reality of where games were 12 years ago, and who was playing games, and who plays games now, and how to make a successful game. You've got to realize who your audience is. It's a lot different audience now. I'm having a hard time imagining, these days, someone thinking numbers one through twelve of what my weapon is. Try to imagine sitting down with, like, your uncle who hasn't played games before and saying "don't forget, number seven is the rocket launcher, number six is the freeze ray." I imagine that was a lot of what the decision was. I'm not the guy making the call.

Clearly the modern gamer is an imbecile.

randomwab

More than two weapons worked fine in Resistance 1, Orange Box, BioShock and a ton of others. I don't know why they think console gamers can't handle three or more weapons.

I don't really care either way, quite frankly we should be happy we're getting this at all.

He's also getting regenerating health which isn't as fun as having to drink urinal water to get your health back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom