• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duncan Jones' (Moon, Source Code, Warcraft, David Bowie's son) "Mute" is now out on Netflix and the critics aren't being kind

mute-2.jpg

Duncan Jones' Moon is one of my favorite films of the past decade, and made him a director to look out for. Source Code was great as well IMO, though some don't think so highly of it. Warcraft, on the other hand, suffered from studio intervention and was torn apart by critics and audiences alike.
Mute was supposed to be his return to form as well as a return to the universe he created with Moon (more on that later), but unfortunately the film seems to fall well short of expectations and hopes.

What the critics are saying:
The Independent – Christopher Hooton – 1/5

When Paul Rudd's antics and the kidnapping storyline finally combine, it's in a woefully confusing way that manages to be both boring and melodramatic while giving paedophilia one of the most curious cinematic treatments on record.

The Guardian – Charles Bramesco – 1/5

Watching Jones passively bob in the deep end of his imagination, a viewer longs for the compulsory baseline competence of the big studios – anything but the blandness masquerading as future cult bait.

The Telegraph – Ed Cumming – 2/5

The script has none of the reserved cool which made Moon so appealing. In the circumstances, Skarsgård might feel he escaped lightly with a part that involves almost no speaking. The plot hangs on relationships which simply don’t ring true. [Paul] Rudd, in particular, is poorly cast, lacking the menace his role demands. Jones conjured intimacy on the surface of the moon, but in the crowded streets of futuristic Berlin, there’s no real feeling.

Variety – Peter Debruge

an over-designed but otherwise uninspired slice of sci-fi noir — a stock missing-persons mystery in which a wordless bartender goes searching for his girlfriend through the sketchy near-future Berlin underworld.

The Hollywood Reporter - Sheri Linden

All the genre bells and whistles, however finely crafted, get in the way of the story’s undercurrents of longing and grief.

Uproxx – Amy Nicholson

I should be clear that Mute isn’t a good movie. It manages to be both bizarre and boring. While I admire Jones’ inventive details like a bowling ball that looks like a giant die, or a severed cow cartoon shilling for steak, or the way cell phones have advanced to where people don’t acknowledge they’ve answered a ring before screaming hello into a startled room, the film simply looks cheap.

LA Times – Kevin Crust

Jones reportedly conceived of the film years ago. However, as the story evolved and took on more emotional themes he never found the right balance between the sentimental and the hard-boiled. As resonant as the personal may potentially be, it gets lost in a quagmire of influences.

GameSpot - Michael Rougeau

Mute is a bad joke about itself, the movie version of a Weird Al Yankovic song (an “Amish Paradise” sequel set in the future?), only if the filmmaker wasn’t aware it was supposed to be a parody. It’s like Mute underwent so many rewrites that the scenes and characters no longer match up – or like it’s a first draft that never underwent a single edit, though considering how long Jones was trying to get this made – 12 years! – the former seems more likely.

GQ – Tom Philip

Doing the talking here instead are two black market American surgeons, Cactus Bill and Duck (Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux), who make good use of their chemistry and comedy bona fides to bring some effective, unrehearsed levity to some corners of Mute. That is until a dreadfully tasteless (and needless!) subplot ruins that, too. If there is redemption to this film, it comes in Rudd and Theroux’s easy partnership and some impressive set design work. But that’s about it.

The Wrap – Robert Abele

Ultimately, it’s hard to sense the same director who embedded us so thoroughly in the carefully heightened atmosphere of philosophical adventure that was “Moon.” Here, a Sam Rockwell cameo glimpsed in a news clip detailing a Lunar Industries imbroglio clues us in that “Mute” is set in the same world as that earlier film. But the connection doesn’t extend, regrettably, to the filmmaker behind both movies.

ScreenRant – Sandy Schaefer

Mute is a middle of the road sci-fi/Noir offering that resembles a lower-grade version of the actual Blade Runner sequel that came out last year, Blade Runner 2049. Jones spent several years working on the project, but the final movie result feels like an intriguing concept that he simply wasn’t able to realize as fully.
It currently holds a 5% Rotten Tomatoes score, but that's bound to change at least a little as more reviews roll in.

As for my thoughts on the film, I think it's just "ok". I found the protagonist's motivations to be a little difficult to relate to, even if his intuition that something happened was ultimately correct. Pacing is all over the place, to the point where I started to think if this would have been better served as a miniseries. And like the critics, I found the pedophilia story arc to be laughable and poorly handled.
The scene where Paul Rudd is giving the performance of his life immediately leading into a scene where Justin Theroux (the pedophile) is joyriding through a sunroof of a car was fucking bizarre.
That said, Cyberpunk Berlin isn't something we get a look at very often in the genre so I can't knock the film in the visuals department. Getting a small (and humorous) epilogue to Moon was also neat. But yeah, ultimately the film is a disappointment, much like many of Netflix's other efforts.

PS: I know the past two threads of mine have been about Netflix but I assure you I'm not a shill. I haven't even subscribed to it for nearly a year up until Cloverfield Paradox (Yes, there are.. 'alternative' methods to viewing Netflix movies). Regardless, I'm letting my subscription lapse this month for sure.

Last edited:
TIL learn Duncan Jones real name is Zowie Bowie. I don't blame him wanting to change his first name

Edit: .Those scores are awful.

Last edited:
I loved it. Strong Tykwer and Wachowski vibes. Cinematic marmite. If you like Sense8 and Cloud Atlas you'll probably like this, although it's much slower paced.
That subplot was weird indeed but weird is not the same thing as bad.

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
Is Disney that far ahead of Netflix? Seems strange that so many Netflix productions get bad critical reviews and so many Disney ones are well received by the critics. Audience scores are telling a very different tale.

Bryank75

Banned
Is Disney that far ahead of Netflix? Seems strange that so many Netflix productions get bad critical reviews and so many Disney ones are well received by the critics. Audience scores are telling a very different tale.

Yep, I'm very very sceptical of the whole thing.... and I really like marvel films. I just bought Thor Ragnarok and I really like Guardians too. Then on the other hand I thought The Last Jedi was a huge miss-step with a heavy handed message and a story that suffered greatly for that....
I've been off Netflix for a while but I really enjoyed their content and for me it's really suspicious that these high profile feature length pieces are getting universally panned by critics while marvel / Star Wars get so little criticism and are often staunchly protected by follow up articles.

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
Yep, I'm very very sceptical of the whole thing.... and I really like marvel films. I just bought Thor Ragnarok and I really like Guardians too. Then on the other hand I thought The Last Jedi was a huge miss-step with a heavy handed message and a story that suffered greatly for that....
I've been off Netflix for a while but I really enjoyed their content and for me it's really suspicious that these high profile feature length pieces are getting universally panned by critics while marvel / Star Wars get so little criticism and are often staunchly protected by follow up articles.

The contrast between Last Jedi and Bright is the first that comes to mind. But even something like Altered Carbon was seen as mediocre but is getting great audience scores on RT. I'm working my way through the show now after hearing all the mixed reviews. I have to admit I am really enjoying it.

Disney also owns a major network and news outlet. I can't see anyone affiliated with ABC/ESPN giving a negative review. Disney also holds stake in Hulu. Not ready to outright accuse them of anything, but it certainly is strange.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Disney is ahead of Netflix in every aspect of film production. But they have different goals, for now. Netflix just pumps out these okay movies cause it'll be enough to get people to hang on. Talent likes working with them because they have scant producer oversight and just write checks. Also, it's hard to gauge how successful a Netflix movie is. They don't release raw numbers.

The difference in scores is due to a couple issues. First, people don't know how to "read" Rotten Tomatoes. It isn't so much that this movie is worse than something with a higher Tomatoemeter, it's that it isn't pleasing anyone. The second issue is that audiences are going to be more forgiving towards a movie they watched at home "for free" as opposed to one they drove to a theater, paid $17 , and sat through 30 mins of commercials for. A critic is watching all these movies for free, and with some of the Netflix releases they were even screened in theaters, probably to their detriment. So they're just judging the movie, where I think the audience is factoring in the experience and ease of access

I don't really know if directors signing up with Netflix is good for their careers long term. Most of these movies end up being middling garbage. They get a worldwide release, but nobody even remembers them a month later.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Woof, yeah this was a fucking mess. I think Rudd and Theroux were miscast. Might've worked better if you switch their roles to play off Rudd's natural charm and fuck with audience expectations. The costumes, and I use that loosely, look like they were raided from a thrift store.

Kinda surprised this is from a veteran director because it was filmed like a basic cable tv show. Just flat, standard shots. And the script fails at basic setup and payoff. There's this one scene where they draw attention to these weird looking guys with white eyes and ninja masks, saying they're badass and will beat up the main character and then...nothing. The scene ends with a shot of them just sitting there lol. You can do compelling sci-fi on the cheap (Children of Men, Ex Machina) but this ain't it. I'm hesitant to even call this scifi because the setting is just cheap window dressing that adds nothing to the story.

Those guys get Nicky in trouble. That's why they're staring at the end. When Nicky threatens the bartender, he says they're working for his boss.
Turns out they really do - when the bartender turns the tables, they're paying attention.
I think an extra shot of one of them making a threatening gesture towards Nicky was cut but it's still in the trailer.

I found an old review of two drafts of the script - the first one was set in contemporary Berlin.

That shot was so long it made me realize that they looked super familiar..
syndicate-main.jpg

Also the Critic Consensus has landed at RT and its a doozy:
Critic Consensus: Visually polished but narratively derivative and overall muddled, Mute is a would-be sci-fi epic whose title serves as an unfortunate guide to how it might be best enjoyed.
Fucking ouch

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
mute-2.jpg

Duncan Jones' Moon is one of my favorite films of the past decade, and made him a director to look out for. Source Code was great as well IMO, though some don't think so highly of it. Warcraft, on the other hand, suffered from studio intervention and was torn apart by critics and audiences alike.
Mute was supposed to be his return to form as well as a return to the universe he created with Moon (more on that later), but unfortunately the film seems to fall well short of expectations and hopes.

What the critics are saying:

It currently holds a 5% Rotten Tomatoes score, but that's bound to change at least a little as more reviews roll in.

As for my thoughts on the film, I think it's just "ok". I found the protagonist's motivations to be a little difficult to relate to, even if his intuition that something happened was ultimately correct. Pacing is all over the place, to the point where I started to think if this would have been better served as a miniseries. And like the critics, I found the pedophilia story arc to be laughable and poorly handled.
The scene where Paul Rudd is giving the performance of his life immediately leading into a scene where Justin Theroux (the pedophile) is joyriding through a sunroof of a car was fucking bizarre.
That said, Cyberpunk Berlin isn't something we get a look at very often in the genre so I can't knock the film in the visuals department. Getting a small (and humorous) epilogue to Moon was also neat. But yeah, ultimately the film is a disappointment, much like many of Netflix's other efforts.

PS: I know the past two threads of mine have been about Netflix but I assure you I'm not a shill. I haven't even subscribed to it for nearly a year up until Cloverfield Paradox (Yes, there are.. 'alternative' methods to viewing Netflix movies). Regardless, I'm letting my subscription lapse this month for sure.

.....reported to the FBI.

Kadayi

Banned
Visually pretty neat, but the storytelling was muddled and sloppy. Not quite the disaster that people make out, but certainly not hitting it out of the park. Also despite being an engaging actor Skarsgard really suffers from too tall for Hollywood syndrome. Everyone else looks like a midget next to him.

Last edited:

thelawof4

I couldn't finish the movie because it was making me cringe the whole time. The visuals of the movie are not the worst i have seen but the cg-scenes are not good at all.

The dialogues are so unrealistic and weird that the relatively good cast had no chance.

NahaNago

It was just dull. It was okay visually to see at times but the future parts of it are barely in it and you could have just made this in a big city in asia. I kinda felt that we needed more time to get to know the character a bit more and weirded up the scifi elements a lot more. I'd give it like a "C".

Top Bottom