• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter Online Brawls On To Xbox Live Arcade

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/24/dungeon-fighter-online-brawls-on-to-xbox-live-arcade/

Soon you’ll be able to play Dungeon Fighter Online, Nexon’s multiplayer online brawler, on Xbox 360. Magna Carta 2 developer Softmax is working on the console version.

Dungeon Fighter Online will be released on Xbox Live Arcade and just like the PC version the client will be free to download. Nexon plans on using the same freemium (that is free to play, but pay for items) business model. That’s new territory for Xbox 360 since JoyRide, which was originally announced as a microtransaction game, became a Kinect launch title.

Nexon will release Dungeon Fighter Online worldwide in eight languages. Nexon is handling the English, Korean, and Chinese localization. Microsoft will take care of French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese. Dungeon Fighter Online is Nexon’s first console title and the console version is an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Wow. Very interesting news. Justin Wong taking over.

wcg8.jpg

Edit: Justin is recently employed by Nexon to promote DFO.

JWong

Banned
Shard said:
Yes in the sense that Gold is needed to play online co-op on the Xbox 360.
Online coop? It's an MMO. If true, kind of makes it not free.

It's not Microsoft servers, so why would it matter? FFXI didn't need Gold, right?

Haliela

Wow, fantastic news. The XBLA has an overwhelmingly awesome lineup this year, and throwing a version of DFO on there is the icing on the cake. Can't wait!

Dambrosi

Banned
Oooh, goody goody gumdrops. I knew buying a pre-owned Elite for cheap was a good idea.

Still probably gonna play this on PC though. Just gotta wait for a Euro release.

Oh wow, I always thought this would go well on a console or portable..... I do kind of wish I could transfer over my Lvl 34 Nen Master though :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
So there will be an offline component for silver members? Perhaps local co-op?

Hmmm. Final Fantasy IV and PSO didn't need gold, as they had subscription fees attached to them.

I guess they could push this as a "Gold Exclusive" this time. Not a bad one either. If this game is as "free" as it is on PC, I played for MONTHS before I wanted to spend money on things, and still, then, didn't even NEED to.

You raise a good point with the possibility of Local Multi-player too, I didn't even think of that! That would be AMAZINGLY fantastic (PC definitely doesn't allow this!), especially if you could both choose to go online from the same console as well. Online Guest wouldn't work too well by default, but It'd be nice to see that feature added as well.

Would be very interesting if they offered some element of Cross-Platform play for the game, but I guess this is doubtful, too. Maybe on some exclusive servers, so there wouldn't be a bunch of ubers in the world on Day -1?

If this is the closest we get to D&D Arcade and Guardian Heroes on XBLA... I can mostly live with that! Moreso for D&D than GH, hehe. Along with the MMO aspects, it's arena VS PVP is actually pretty high caliber, and it'd be great to see one's fighting game friends actually get into playing it, with controller motions and all, not depending on crazy keyboard macros and multi-page quickspell button list.

This thread deserves the 1 promo-image released, too:

ara02.jpg

They should run cross-promo's with Capcom and Aksys and SNKP, and get them to offer paid avatar gears from their games. XD

Raide

Since its F2P, they should have it on Silver as well as Gold. Just add some bonus for people with Gold i.e. bonus in-game cash or items.

This is the best news I have heard in ages. While not strictly an MMO, I really hope it opens the way for other games of this type to appear. Dragonica XBLA would be great.

Raide

Really interested to see how MS deals with a free client download that has updates. I always thought they were against games that were offered free, since they love to monetize things. Could be a great stepping stone for others.

This is great news!
I've always been interested in this game but I have my PC set up in an uncomfortable way that makes playing games on it a pain.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gravijah said:
Come on, people. Final Fantasy IV? :p

LoL, shows how much attention I was paying! XI! What WAS I trying to write then? 1-5? That still doesn't make sense...

Oh, and graphic wise, I imagine HD-ing everything legitimately would be a huge undertaking , as the avatar items you purchase acctually have secondary animations and the like. So past redrawing all the enemy and player sprites, plus effects and items, you'd also have to re-animate all the pieces of their clothing sets, and any unique stuff like flapping wings or animated headgears...

Part of the appeal to me is how much it looks like the D&D games, right down to the quality spritework. And they're still making new characters and items for the PC release.

As long as they give it a proper Widescreen aspect ratio (I dislike the filtered, smudgy look of the PC's widescreen), an optional filter for the pixel-allergic, and toss in a few unique avatar sets, I'd be perfectly happy ^_^

I normally play the PC game with a PS2 controller (Don't have a wireless adapter for my 360 pads anywho), but it would be pretty cool to play with a T.E. or other stick.

Wonder if Episodic expansions would net new achievements? Would they offer special Game + Xbox Avatar Gear deals in order to drive sales? So many possibilities...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Be careful with this game guys. I'm not trying to be funny. DFO is extremely addicting and if they plan on retaining the monetary aspect from the PC version, then it can pose a serious threat to your wallet and your mind.

I had to force myself to stop playing it after one of my ex-gf stopped lending me money to buy some of the items in the game.

Raide said:
Really interested to see how MS deals with a free client download that has updates. I always thought they were against games that were offered free, since they love to monetize things. Could be a great stepping stone for others.

I think you underestimate their love for micro transactions. A lot of profit for small amounts of work.

MisterHero

Godammit

I was hoping that Nintendo would've landed a deal because they (well, Nintendo of Korea anyways) had a hand in bringing Maple Story on DS.

I was being unrealistic though, because none of Nintendo's current or arriving platforms can support a requirement basic as 4GB needed for storage (or without heavy or frequent loading problems anyways)

If I had a 360, could I play my PC characters on it?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Pretty fun game.
Gotta admit though I wish the mechanics were tighter.
Maybe if this works out we'll see that one game...forgot what it's called..kind of looks like an MMO Demon's Souls....
You're thinking of Vindictus which looks great but my PC could never run it :(

If you want tighter mechanics in DFO you're either going to have to be extremely fucking lucky to get the attack/speed/cast enhancing gears or be ready to pay through the nose LOL

Pretty fun game.
Maybe if this works out we'll see that one game...forgot what it's called..kind of looks like an MMO Demon's Souls....

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not my kind of game, but I like the direction that the format structure is going in with it being free to play.

Grakl

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Pretty fun game.

Vindictus isn't very fun imo, haha

bengraven

Thought the game was fun, but I had a lot on my table, including paid MMOs on my PC.

That said? A free 360 version of this will keep my attention a LOT longer and I may even pay for items.

Raide

I cannot see them having the time to re-do all the art assets, not unless they started the project ages ago and only just announced it.

The OP says "Soon" so are we talking part of the Summer XBLA stuff or later on in the year?

I wonder if we will get any related announcements at E3? Guild Wars would be the major one to aim for.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
According to the Joystiq article here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/24/nexons-dungeon-fighter-online-coming-to-xbox-live-arcade-later/

"Nothing has been determined yet" about the model for this one, we're told. Nexon says it's too early in the process to talk about exactly how this version of the game will work.

So... could it end up HD-ified, with a severe cut on items, in order to please resolution fans? A single, one-price online download? "Freemium" just like PC? Seems like it's still up in the air.

Kafel said:
Interesting to see MS opening the box.

I'm sure Kingdoms will do something like this as well.

Kingdoms? Well, Codename Kingdoms and Crytek's MMO could be one and the same. Or did you mean Kingdom Under Fire II?

Kafel

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Kingdoms? Well, Codename Kingdoms and Crytek's MMO could be one and the same. Or did you mean Kingdom Under Fire II?

The Crytek game.

We know nothing about the game, only that the Crytek rep said the Live will have a big role.

Kafel

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Really? That's news to me, do you have a link to that interview?

haha I tried to google it and all I can really find about this is a post by myself :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22264254&postcount=41

It was something they said just when it was announced, the Crytek guy was on stage I think and no website really noticed and reported what he said.

Also, noone finds strange that this gets announced just when Zinga said they don't plan to release FarmVille on 360 ?

A freemium model game could work on the console, but with a game for the right audience. So we'll see what happens with this game.

Top Bottom