• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls II verdict - PC Gamer

Durante

Are you having a hand in that or is it part of PC Gamers coverage?
It's all mine.

Basically, what happened is that I was asked to write a ~1200 word article, and on Sunday I delivered a ~2500 word draft. But they thought it was all good and didn't want to cut it (thanks Wes!), so it turned into 2 separate articles.

And then I went back to each of those and extended them so they are now on the verge of being oversized again :p

Grief.exe

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering... does the PC version fix the equipment clipping (or any kind of clipping)? When I mix and match armour pieces, sometimes it looks fine until I check it at a certain angle or move around a bit, then the hood clips horribly into the chest piece, or the chest piece and skirt clip into each others, and so on. (This was a problem in previous games too, mind you.) I've even had a helm's plume clip into my large club. XD
I'm guessing that the PC version won't change that, as it's probably nothing to do with resolutions or texture assets, but I wonder...

Hardware can't fix geometry clipping issues.

Will the game be compatible with the Dualshock 4?

If you are using the xinput wrapper, then there is no reason it shouldn't be.

Durante

Let me trickle some screenshots in here.

darksoulsii_2014_04_1mey94.jpg

Orayn

Will the game be compatible with the Dualshock 4?

Sounds like it's your standard Xinput-only port, but the Xinput wrapper for DS4 is pretty solid already and will almost certainly work. Just gotta wait for people to figure out texture modding if you really want/need Playstation button prompts.

Maybe they're learning bit by bit how to do a PC game. Next game should hopefully look like a PC game through and through. But then they'll also probably be working with better console specs for that one anyway.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. Their new engine definitely seems at home on PC, even if console performance concerns constrained the game's visuals a bit.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was about to post that the lighting didn't seem to be there, but then Durante posted that screen.

Still out in the open everything seems flat.

Durante

Durante did you test how it looks with SMAA injector as opposed to FXAA3?
Next article, so I can't talk about that yet.
Note: none of my screenshots use FXAA, and all of them are taken directly during gameplay at the settings I play at on my 770.

Durante indicated in his above post that he used a DS4 to play the game.
I used a DS3 actually. Works perfectly, but of course you'll get 360 button prompts.

Durante

Sounds like it's your standard Xinput-only port
Yep, pretty much. So you can use any controller for which an Xinput wrapper exists.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. Their new engine definitely seems at home on PC, even if console performance concerns constrained the game's visuals a bit.
Yeah, I think that's an accurate description.
Really, the performance surprised me.

Granadier

That lighting was there in the console version too, you know... it got downgraded, but it wasn't completely gone.

I realize this.

There was just something inside me that hoped that the lighting would be able to be brought back, no matter how unrealistic that dream was.

Orayn

Let me trickle some screenshots in here.

darksoulsii_2014_04_1mey94.jpg

Screens like this make me think that all the lighting tech from the earlier visuals is still part of the game engine, just applied more sparingly. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be amazing if modders somehow figured out a way to manipulate it to alter the lighting. We know that its lighting is based on Beast instead of some arcane in-house system, so that might be a place to start.

Dr Dogg

It's all mine.

Basically, what happened is that I was asked to write a ~1200 word article, and on Sunday I delivered a ~2500 word draft. But they thought it was all good and didn't want to cut it (thanks Wes!), so it turned into 2 separate articles.

And then I went back to each of those and extended them so they are now on the verge of being oversized again :p

Hahaha ever the perfectionist. Good job sir (and PCG for not wanting to cut it down)

Hope you've found some HBAO+ flags ;)

epmode

This lighting/geometry thing has been so disappointing to me but at least this is a superior port of a downgraded game. I'll bite now that I can get a good price on GMG but oh god am I going to be annoyed if an improved port shows up on PS4/XBone.

Thanks for the article, Durante.

Chuck

Still without luck
Good stuff.

I really hope modding with texture packs is an easy thing to do. I wouldn't mind some of the bad art in DS2 getting replaced at all.

Durante

I was about to post that the lighting didn't seem to be there, but then Durante posted that screen.
As I wrote in the article, I don't think there are any new light sources in the game. However, the shadows/lighting from the existing ones is improved, and the post-processing "lighting-related" effects (e.g. god rays) are as well.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks for the article Durante. Getting the pc version day one. Easiest double dip ever. I mean the ps3 version was serviceable, but I can't wait to run this at 60 fps in high res, with every bell and whistle turned on. Installing this on my ssd as well, goodbye long-ass loading times.

PRAISE THE SUN

xZ2sEbd.gif

Grief.exe

The shadows in the PC version look very good. From console screenshots, I've noticed that they are more of a green hue if that makes any sense.

Durante, does the mirror knight fight have the specular highlights? Or has he been left the same as the console version?

Granadier

As I wrote in the article, I don't think there are any new light sources in the game. However, the shadows/lighting from the existing ones is improved, and the post-processing "lighting-related" effects (e.g. god rays) are as well.

Yep, it definitely is a vast improvement over DS1 though.

The biggest improvements graphically over DS1 PC fully modded are, in my opinion:
  • The dynamic god rays, they really add a lot of ambiance, particularly in outdoor scenes.
  • The cloth physics, they make the already awesome equipment on characters look even better.
  • The shadow resolution and filtering, both for environmental and character shadows. This is something I tried to fix in DS1 but didn't manage to without issues.
  • The water surface rendering. Water in DS1 was pretty weak.

Excellent. Thanks for the write up, can't wait for next week!

Despera

Banned
Yep... will double dip for sure. If the game is nicely optimized I might play it on my laptop. As long as I can maintain 60 fps.

Have you found anything in the game files to indicate the lighting engine/resources shown in the previews/press stuff (prior to the "downgrade") is still present in the game, just disabled?

If so, could it be re-enabled by modders?

Top Bottom