• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Form Lycanroc available to early adopters of Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon

Awww man now I wish this Lycanroc was blue.

Would have been a great Blue Destiny pokemon.
3e3e57b9045b245f93827bff8c2987d2.jpg

What if Pearl or Marie love dusk Lycanroc?
Would you adapt or change your mind? :p
Give him a Pearl. I'm sure he'd enjoy a small Rattata. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And what the heck is this?! What about Gen 2?!
Gen 2 is weird to me. I really like many of those creatures, like Corsola, Shuckle, Sunflora, Lanturn, Teddiursa, Xatu, Ariados or Quagsire, but I never ever used them. I also can't remember anything about Gold, despite having played it, and I haven't started HeartGold yet.

Maybe I should make a gen 2 team for Ultra Sun and give these fellas the attention they deserve.

Orange is my favorite color, and midday lycanroc was much better looking than midnight, so I should really like this.

But it just feels too similar to midday. It looks like just a shiny form

They were never good lol, Pokemon didnt get great(outside some exceptions) until gen 3

Pokemon nostalgia is something else

Gen 3-5 are still the best, though most of gen 7 is pretty good. Dhelmise is godtier

Last edited:

13ruce

Banned
Take this genwunner nonsense somewhere else.

Don't y'all ever get tired lol

Also who hates on Lycanroc, that's a pretty damn tame design. :p

Yeah agreed i still don't get the original 150 genwunner comments tbh, if they kept the original 150 forever and never released new pokemon the pokemon brand would be dead by now.

And besides the gen 1 pokemon got love in gen 6 (mega's) and in gen 7 too with their alola forms.

Edit: oh i forgot about pokemon go lol:p those were only available at first. Well mew and mewtwo excluded.

LotusHD

Banned
I think it's boring. Not bad, but nowhere near Primarina, Dewpider, Stufful, Salandit/Salazzle or Mimikyu (my favorite from gen 7).

Boring is one thing, but generally when people say they don't like the new Pokemon, they're usually implying the designs are ugly, dumb, has too much going on, etc.

Like the ice cream Pokemon, or the one that is a pair of keys, and so on, I could understand why someone wouldn't like something like that. But Lycanroc (namely the non-Midnight forms) is pretty inoffensive and straightforward imo, so I'm surprised that we're still getting gewrunner comments in here lol

Boring is one thing, but generally when people say they don't like the new Pokemon, they're usually implying the designs are ugly, dumb, has too much going on, etc.

Like the ice cream Pokemon, or the one that is a pair of keys, and so on, I could understand why someone wouldn't like something like that. But Lycanroc (namely the non-Midnight forms) is pretty inoffensive and straightforward imo, so I'm surprised that we're still getting gewrunner comments in here lol

Last edited:
*shakes fist in Alex's general direction*
1499355676853.gif

Gen 2 is weird to me. I really like many of those creatures, like Corsola, Shuckle, Sunflora, Lanturn, Teddiursa, Xatu, Ariados or Quagsire, but I never ever used them. I also can't remember anything about Gold, despite having played it, and I haven't started HeartGold yet.

Maybe I should make a gen 2 team for Ultra Sun and give these fellas the attention they deserve.
Oh I see. That's understandable.

But man you have to play HeartGold! It's sooooo good! You can play OG Gold too on the 3DS since its going to be Pokémon Bank compatible. Gen 2 may not have the most support so far when it comes to callbacks but it's such a good one! Especially the remakes!

Gen 1 Kat is better than Gen 2 Kat.

;)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Funnily enough, I like Klefki much more than Lycanroc. Some of my friends hate the little key ring, but I always found his animations cute.

Oh I see. That's understandable.

But man you have to play HeartGold! It's sooooo good! You can play OG Gold too on the 3DS since its going to be Pokémon Bank compatible. Gen 2 may not have the most support so far when it comes to callbacks but it's such a good one! Especially the remakes!
Haha yeah, I definitely need to play it. I also own White and Black 2 (haven't played them either), so that's a lot of Pokemon backlog. I may grab Silver on the 3DS VC or wait for the eventual release of Crystal. I want to revisit Johto because I really don't remember if I liked it or not.

LotusHD

Banned
Comments like that are more likely from people who played gen 1 and or 2, stepped away from the series and then by the time they checked back in there were 500+ new Pokemon which is quite frankly intimidating so it's easier for them to be like "can you just go back to what I know" while criticizing easy targets like ice cream and key Pokemon. I'd like to think comments likes that are half-hearted. Certainly not the most offensive thing said in this thread.

I mean I'm aware, just find it amusing nonetheless, because well... it's a wolf. Out of all the intimidating new additions, I wouldn't rank it that high lol

Gen 1 Kat is better than Gen 2 Kat.

;)

How dare you sir

Funnily enough, I like Klefki much more than Lycanroc. Some of my friends hate the little key ring, but I found his animations cute.

I'm indifferent towards it myself.

Slightly hyperbolic, but I do feel they're very quickly becoming what they were specifically calling the industry out for just a few short years ago.
They've been doing this for years. Isn't this just mystery gift like when they distributed that Torchic with Blazikenite in X/Y? If you bought the game from launch to January you could access mystery gift online and it was the only way you could get Mega Blaziken.

Thing is, they've never added an evolution or form change method that involved combinations of Pokémon, items or moves that already existed in previous generations (with the exception of Ancient Power Piloswine and Rollout Lickitung). They always created new items or moves to justify the "lack" of evolution/form change in the past.

Feebas still evolves with maxed beauty, but they introduced a new item - the Beauty Scale - to offer an alternative method for games where Contest stats are not present. Notice that they didn't simply reuse an old item or move, they created another one specifically for this reason.

Which is lame as hell. No one gives a shit that the evolution might have been "technically" possible in the past gens. Who would really complain if the other eeveelutions simply evolved from sun/moon/leaf/ice stones?

They've been doing this for years. Isn't this just mystery gift like when they distributed that Torchic with Blazikenite in X/Y? If you bought the game from launch to January you could access mystery gift online and it was the only way you could get Mega Blaziken.

Yeah. It's also like the Beldum for ORAS and Snorlax for S/M.

Toxi

Banned
Thing is, they've never added an evolution or form change method that involved combinations of Pokémon, items or moves that already existed in previous generations (with the exception of Ancient Power Piloswine and Rollout Lickitung). They always created new items or moves to justify the "lack" of evolution/form change in the past.

Feebas still evolves with maxed beauty, but they introduced a new item - the Beauty Scale - to offer an alternative method for games where Contest stats are not present. Notice that they didn't simply reuse an old item or move, they created another one specifically for this reason.
If there are exceptions, you can't really say Gamefreak never did it.
Which is lame as hell. No one gives a shit that the evolution might have been "technically" possible in the past gens. Who would really complain if the other eeveelutions simply evolved from sun/moon/leaf/ice stones?
Exactly. It's a silly rule that doesn't hold up when Gamefreak has broken it before.

Berordn

If there are exceptions, you can't really say Gamefreak never did it.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, they didn't really have much to do with the games where those were obtainable.

That said I agree that it's silly we've got all these vestigial items to explain all these evolutions when nobody really cares anymore. Incenses really ought to go and juggling all these stones is a pain.

spad3

not gonna lie, I've always wanted a Wolf pokemon. Was holding high hopes during Gen 6 with the whole Norse Mythology ordeal (Mono-Ice or even Ice/Dark Wolf Legendary based off of Fenrir would've been AMAZING). Lycanroc is cool and all but only good for early game. I would LOVE to see each Lycanroc get an evolution that's this big intimidating Rock/Dark (Midnight) Rock/Steel (Midday) or Rock/Ghost (Dusk) Wolf.

The one thing I love about this series is how much it changes every generation. There's so much new stuff, new mechanics, new regions, new monsters, new attacks, new items, new traversal methods. Games with sequels tend to be more of the same, but Pokemon ALWAYS keeps it fresh.

Toxi

Banned
Playing devil's advocate for a second, they didn't really have much to do with the games where those were obtainable.

That said I agree that it's silly we've got all these vestigial items to explain all these evolutions when nobody really cares anymore. Incenses really ought to go and juggling all these stones is a pain.
Stones I'm okay with because they're direct.The stones explicitly evolve Pokemon and you just have to figure out which ones.

Trade items and level up items and level up locations are fucking stupid though. Especially the last one.

Berordn

Stones I'm okay with because they're direct.The stones explicitly evolve Pokemon and you just have to figure out which ones.

Trade items and level up items and level up locations are fucking stupid though. Especially the last one.

For me it's mostly their unwillingness to add new evolutions to old stones. At this point Eevee should be able to evolve into Leafeon and Glaceon with the Leaf Stone and Ice Stone respectively, because as you said level up locations are fucking stupid. It might've made sense back in Gen IV, but at this point it's just an annoying vestige to not be able to use it.

Infinite

It's ability should of been earthquake.

Jokes aside, Tough Claws is an interesting ability for it. Lycanroc's issue, aside from not have a ground move, was that it had to rely on moves like Brick Break and Fire Fang with low base power for coverage. Tough Claws boosts those moves to respectable and usable powers in addition to giving accelrock a modest boost as well. I still think it needs a ground move and it getting Ice Fang would have been cool for dealing with Lando-T but this is cool.

It goes back even further than that. There was a special pichu that had a spiky ear pichu giveaway for heartgold/soulsilver.

For me it's mostly their unwillingness to add new evolutions to old stones. At this point Eevee should be able to evolve into Leafeon and Glaceon with the Leaf Stone and Ice Stone respectively, because as you said level up locations are fucking stupid. It might've made sense back in Gen IV, but at this point it's just an annoying vestige to not be able to use it.

There's so much evolution BS I wish they would retcon. Like they're okay pretending mega evolution was a thing the whole time but they won't just make Kirlia a gender split evolution?

Mr-Joker

Banned
You're better off waiting for Gen 8. They're not going to overhaul the online system in the middle of the generation.

Indeed, it like people forget that this is a third version and not a new generation.

Looks like they know they've got a stinker on their hands.

They do?

I mean Lycanroc is cool and Rockruff is pretty cute and they gave one to Ash in the animé.

Nintendo's greed is out of control

I don't understand your statement but if you're comparing it to Pre-order DLC then think again, the Pokémon is a free giveaway to obtain when the game launches.

That's boring and just makes the new Pokémon uninteresting as the new evolution method ties into the Pokémon biology themselves.

Like for example;

Sneasel has two claws on its hands and feet but when it evolves into a Weavile via the Razor claw at night, it gains an additional third claw on it's hands and feet.

Furthermore there is a sense of continuity within the series and thus a reason is needed to explain to why certain Pokémon could not evolve during that era and to take Leafeon for example the reason no Eevee could evolve into a Leafeon in Kanto and Johto is because the Mossy Rock is not found in those region, which again ties into Eevee biology of evolving due to reacting to its environment, again drawing parallel to animals of the real world.

brinstar

Just last year they did an event with Munchlax with its Z-Move that was exclusive too. It's fine to be critical of it but puzzling to act like it's just now a thing.

That's boring and just makes the new Pokémon uninteresting as the new evolution method ties into the Pokémon biology themselves.

Like for example;

Sneasel has two claws on its hands and feet but when it evolves into a Weavile via the Razor claw at night, it gains an additional third claw on it's hands and feet.

Furthermore there is a sense of continuity within the series and thus a reason is needed to explain to why certain Pokémon could not evolve during that era and to take Leafeon for example the reason no Eevee could evolve into a Leafeon in Kanto and Johto is because the Mossy Rock is not found in those region, which again ties into Eevee biology of evolving due to reacting to its environment, again drawing parallel to animals of the real world.

Except that there are exceptions already. So why are some okay and some not?

And then you have to continuously put in all these shitty new evolution methods into the new games or its like Heartgold where you can't even get a Leafeon in game. It's just completely inelegant, and needlessly inflates the number of items and locations you have to keep track of just to evolve your damn Pokemon.

Toxi

Banned
It makes perfect biological sense that exposure to the incredibly rare phenomena of a moss-covered rock would cause Eevee to become Leafeon, a Pokemon that has nothing to do with moss.

Giga Man

Not if it can be bred, like Zoroark
Sure, but we'll have to wait and find out if that's possible or we'll just end up with a regular Rockruff. It'd be pretty confusing if you got one in a trade with no notice as you wouldn't know what it would evolve into. So, it's probably going to remain event exclusive.

when did they change tough claws though? I remember it only increasing critical damage
Tough Claws was introduced in gen 6, and it always added 30% power to attacks that made direct contact.

It makes perfect biological sense that exposure to the incredibly rare phenomena of a moss-covered rock would cause Eevee to become Leafeon, a Pokemon that has nothing to do with moss.
Leafeon and Glaceon need Leaf Stone and Ice Stone respectively right now, especially when Ice Stone just became a thing this gen.
EDIT: Oh, people have been saying this in the thread already. My B.

Ydelnae

I like how the sun never sets on Kanto. I mean, there is no concept of day or night over there, time never flows, so Eevee was unable to evolve to Umbreon/Espeon until Johto was discovered and the Pokemon world started to rotate. This is canon, by the way, since neither the original games nor the remakes allow you to evolve server into Espeon or Umbreon.

We can also talk about how Unova is the only part of the Pokemon world that moves around the Sun, while the rest of the planet just stays there.

I like the lore explanations for evolutions, but some should be retconned because they have become convoluted for the sake of it in the new games.

g.r.e.

It still feels like a crappy design that barely attempted to mix both form's looks.

It's a crappy mimic design because even fucking DQ managed to do the mimic aspect right despite the graphical limitations - they outright admit the chest turns into a monster. Here you're supposed to believe the item ball is actually Voltorb or its evolution, yet item balls are roughly the same size as a pokeball and voltorb are bigger.
Item balls are just treasure chests in pokemon, and Voltorbs are just like a regular mimic, tricking the player into clicking the item and then exploding into oblivion. They do their job good enough, and since item balls are as big as a person in Red and Blue(in their overworld sprite, of course), your point about Voltorbs being too big doesn't hold its ground: gameplay wise they are perfect.

i-Jest

I'll take a free pokemon, sure why not. For all we know the new games will have a rebalance that'll change the meta game, Could make this pokemon more useful.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How about bringing back the PSS?
How about streamlining the campaign so it's not 75% cutscenes and tutorials?

the moment I saw it getting "shelfed" to multiple menus in ORAS is the telltale for me that GF doesn't care about PSS

seriously, why did you put PSS in multiple menus that are pointless? who needs a fucking pseudo-news as the first, main menu?

Tough Claws was introduced in gen 6, and it always added 30% power to attacks that made direct contact.

Oh I know about when it was introduced (I use Barbaracle), it's just that I never thought it dealt contact damage increase, just critical hit damage increase.

Item balls are just treasure chests in pokemon, and Voltorbs are just like a regular mimic, tricking the player into clicking the item and then exploding into oblivion. They do their job good enough, and since item balls are as big as a person in Red and Blue(in their overworld sprite, of course), your point about Voltorbs being too big doesn't hold its ground: gameplay wise they are perfect.

My point is that mimics go beyond "oh lol let's trick players into thinking that the chest is monster". The design has to go along with it. It's why I mentioned DQ - design isn't just about looks but also function if you're going to give a reference.

latest

Boom, you can already tell that the Mimic in DQ transforms its looks.

latest

We see the transformation of this thing from a chest to an enemy flawlessly.

It is why Voltorb fails as a design - because it never transforms. It is expected to the player that the item ball is actually voltorb, yet if it was in the perspective of the actual player character, he should be already able to tell them since Voltorb are big.

You know what Pokemon does the same thing, but do know about the whole graphical difference because they incorporate it on the design outright without the fandom going all vague and shit in an attempt to explain it?

gallery-1470326264-foongus-and-amoonguss.jpg

g.r.e.

the moment I saw it getting "shelfed" to multiple menus in ORAS is the telltale for me that GF doesn't care about PSS

seriously, why did you put PSS in multiple menus that are pointless? who needs a fucking pseudo-news as the first, main menu?

Oh I know about when it was introduced (I use Barbaracle), it's just that I never thought it dealt contact damage increase, just critical hit damage increase.

My point is that mimics go beyond "oh lol let's trick players into thinking that the chest is monster". The design has to go along with it. It's why I mentioned DQ - design isn't just about looks but also function if you're going to give a reference.

latest

Boom, you can already tell that the Mimic in DQ transforms its looks.

latest

We see the transformation of this thing from a chest to an enemy flawlessly.

It is why Voltorb fails as a design - because it never transforms. It is expected to the player that the item ball is actually voltorb, yet if it was in the perspective of the actual player character, he should be already able to tell them since Voltorb are big.

You know what Pokemon does the same thing, but do know about the whole graphical difference because they incorporate it on the design outright without the fandom going all vague and shit in an attempt to explain it?

gallery-1470326264-foongus-and-amoonguss.jpg
It's funny you guys keep posting these two pokemon, because the two of them fail at what the classing RPG mimic is meant to be: an unexpected, life threatening encounter under the guise of a treasure.
The two fungi are non-threatening art design wise & gameplay wise, they fail at doing the very thing voltorb and electrode do best.
You can think they work better lore wise, but gameplay wise they are just boring pokemon you end up forgetting because they do absolutely nothing remarkable but posing as an item ball, without the threat of what a mimic should entail.

The kicking lady legs in Kid Icarus were creepy as fuck, btw.

Top Bottom