• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

pqoeK.png

Developer: CCP Games
Tech: Unreal Engine 3 + Enlighten
Planned release: Summer 2012

Website - Reveal Trailer - E3 2011 Trailer (1080p/MP4) - Presentation (Gamescom 2009) - Evelopedia Entry

So, I'm pretty excited for this. I play EVE and enjoy it a lot, but I never would have considered getting into it if it wasn't for the reveal trailer to Dust 514.

Although information and footage on Dust is scant, here's what's currently known about it (Quoting Dust 514 Fan):

* Dust will be an MMO in its own right, not just an extension to EVE.
* Dust is planned for release on the current generation of consoles, with no PC version being mentioned thus far. (I'm sure there will be a PC version. It would be stupid to not have one.)
* Dust players will be privy to a form of the EVE cloning system.
* Dust players will be able to buy configurable, modular vehicles and weapons.
* The Dust battlefields will include a Battlefield-style commander system and RTS elements.
* Permanent structures can be deployed inside battlefields for a particular session of the game.
* EVE players will be able to fund and arm the Dust troops.
* Planets will be divided into distinct districts, and battles will likely take place over individual districts.
* EVE players can contract Dust mercenary groups to invade planetary districts on their behalf.
* Dust will form part of the EVE sovereignty system for faction warfare and 0.0 territorial warfare.
* According to the game-play footage in the video presentation, attacks may be planned from the control deck of a kind of orbital station or ship.
Here are some screenshots. Note that these shots were released in 2009. I'm sure the game looks better nowadays.

eGThA.jpg

t4H7y.jpg

N8qy1.jpg

Upon visiting the game's official website, you'll immediately be greeted with a countdown timer, which will be ending in a couple of days. CCP might have something to show at E3, and the website will hopefully become less barren. EVE will be receiving the Incarna expansion on the 21st of this month, and will allow players to explore space stations on foot. I really hope the interactivity between Dust and EVE takes off, as it may have a major impact on how EVE is played. (EVE: A Future Vision)

Update:

Darkkn said:
PS3 exclusive and featured on sony e3 presser? http://kotaku.com/5808577/will-eve-onlines-console-shooter-be-ps3+exclusive

Excited about this game. Really ambitious game and if anyone is crazy enough to pull it of it's CCP.
Screenshots from that article. (Originally extracted from the Dust 514 website.)

nXzs3.jpg

JR4yj.jpg

uX9XO.jpg

ujdCQ.jpg

Af5tQ.jpg

D1U9B.jpg

131iL.jpg

It does look as though it may be a PS3 exclusive. The countdown ends on the same day Sony's conference is being held.

Update #2:

Some artwork:

GwkN5.jpg

14BpE.jpg

p64JL.jpg

erMYA.jpg

okibM.jpg

3NLl0.jpg

alD2T.jpg

dMWMr.jpg

ODjJh.jpg

EMkDE.jpg
PlayStation Blog: Introducing DUST 514, a Persistent Shooter from CCP

Hi everyone! I’m the Community Manager for DUST 514, an upcoming title from CCP. This is the first time you’ll have seen DUST 514 highlighted on the PlayStation.Blog and we’re happy that we can reveal more about our game to you.

DUST 514 is a very different type of game. Yes, many people say this about their respective game titles — everyone thinks their baby is special, right? We really mean it though.

When playing your FPS title of choice, have you ever wished that there was something more to it beyond your rank, weapon unlocks, your kill/death ratio and leaderboard prominence? Those things are all great – but what if those matches you fought in actually meant something? What if your successes and failures against your opponents impacted the course of events in a vast setting, potentially changed a virtual world and the gameplay experience of thousands of other players? More than that, what if that impact was felt across two separate games – one on PS3 and one on PC/Mac – that share the same sci-fi universe?

DUST 514 is that game.
The Persistent Shooter Concept

Some may know CCP as the creator of EVE Online, a sci-fi MMO with an open galactic setting. It’s a game perhaps best known for its sweeping fleet battles involving thousands of players, its dynamic player-driven economy, and for having (and allowing!) espionage and spycraft. We think of EVE as the ultimate sci-fi simulation, and that’s where DUST 514 comes in. It’s a whole new way of experiencing the EVE universe through what we call a “persistent shooter”.

“Persistence” is the key word here. The world of DUST 514 doesn’t spawn when you fire up your PlayStation 3 — it’s always there and always being experienced and influenced by other players in the EVE universe. When you take part in events in the EVE universe through combat in DUST 514, you’re taking part in something greater than your own individual experience of that world.
Your Battles Have Impact

Your actions have significance. We think that’s a compelling approach to a game, and something that’s currently lacking in the industry. But impact on what? The EVE universe is made up of thousands of solar systems, each with a number of planets within those systems. Those same planets seen in EVE Online, where the MMO players create various planetary structures and colonies, are the potential battlegrounds of DUST 514.

Your fights impact the entire EVE setting, comprised of both DUST 514 mercenaries and EVE Online starship pilots, known as “capsuleers“. When you capture or destroy planetary structures, you are asserting dominance over regions of that planet – perhaps eventually the planet itself. As you profit while wiping out your opposition in DUST 514, the outcomes of these conflicts can affect territorial control of vast regions of space in EVE Online, something of great importance to EVE’s starship pilots.

But making allies of some capsuleers makes rivals of others… and that’s where things get even more interesting. (Can you say, “orbital strike“?) Players of both games will have ways of influencing each other, and actions will ripple between DUST 514 and EVE Online.

Part of what makes EVE Online uncommon among MMOs is that the open setting allows for emergent gameplay. Large-scale fleet warfare is fought among the stars in complex military campaigns that can span months, while spies can infiltrate corps and funnel sensitive intel to the opposition. Industrialists plot and topple rivals on the financial markets rather than through violence; skilled corps of hired guns settle disputes through… aggressive negotiations. This is just a fraction of what players accomplish in the EVE setting, which DUST 514 mercenaries will find their own unique ways to engage in. The possibilities are all there to become a part of this, but what happens is up to you.

Of course, either game can exist on its own without the EVE-DUST Link, but both sides benefit from it greatly when the players of each respective game choose to use the connections for all they’re worth.
A Single Community That Spans DUST 514 and EVE Online

Ah, an aspect of DUST 514 that’s near and dear to my heart. Those friends and enemies you make between the games leads to a great deal of player community interaction. CCP provides the setting with the EVE universe but ultimately it’s you, the players, who really breathe life into it. And people have certainly done so already, long before DUST 514 was even a twinkle in our eye.

EVE Online has history spanning more than eight years, with a vibrant and (usually) mature community linked together through EVE Gate, a social network for EVE players that is tied in with their characters. EVE Online players use it to communicate with their friends and enemies alike, and interact with their corporation even when not playing the game. We will open EVE Gate up to DUST 514 players as well. Opportunities will always be there for those who want to be part of the social fabric of this linked community, the wider EVE setting.

There are definitely challenges ahead, with a unified console and PC gamer community each influencing a shared setting through their respective types of gameplay. Rivalries, alliances and, dare I say, even some drama. Interesting times.
The Virtual Goods Economy

A strength of EVE Online is the depth of its economy. We are taking a similar approach to DUST 514, though we will do so carefully, with a slow integration of economic activity between both titles. (Fun fact: CCP employs two economists to oversee the EVE universe’s virtual economy, one for EVE Online and another focused on DUST 514.)

Virtual goods will be a major part of the in-game economy, and our business model for DUST 514 is built upon digital distribution and virtual goods transactions rather than following the traditional boxed games model. In fact, that’s another key thing that led us to abandon the FPS label in the first place — as a persistent shooter, our approach to creating and operating DUST 514 is more like an MMO. We will continually develop and improve upon DUST 514, but that won’t be funded by going the ‘map pack sales’ route. DUST 514 will have free expansions, and that development will be funded through virtual goods sales. Plus, everyone likes having customization options, right?

The virtual goods themselves will provide all manner of weaponry and defensive technology, vehicles, and more. This perpetual arms race will provide DUST players with variety in their gameplay and an array of virtual goods that supports a chosen playstyle.
“Would you like to know more?”

We are just now beginning to pull back the curtain and reveal more about DUST 514. So this is an important time for CCP, and we’re very much looking forward to bringing you something that’s quite unique in the gaming world. If you’d like to hear more about DUST 514, be sure to check the following for more info over the coming months:

Official website: [B]www.dust514.com[/B]

Facebook fan page: [B]www.facebook.com/dust514[/B]

Twitter: @dust514 (hashtag is #dust514)

YouTube: [B]www.youtube.com/user/ccpgames[/B]

And if you’re a true masochist, you can follow me on Twitter: @ccp_shadow

Another GameTrailers video that goes into the mechanics of the game. (Link)

WOW. They show the fitting menu in that video.

EDIT: Fitting picture added.

Fq3co.png

(Added to OP.)

Skill training as well. This is pretty much EVE on ground. Excellent.

Update #3 @ Post #588 (10/28/2011)

Mindlog

Dust players will be able to buy configurable, modular vehicles and weapons.
The Dust battlefields will include a Battlefield-style commander system and RTS elements.
Permanent structures can be deployed inside battlefields for a particular session of the game.
CCP is pretty terrible at balancing this stuff. The game will last a little bit longer than normal only because botting isk can't screw up the economy.

EVE players will be able to fund and arm the Dust troops.
Game over. Well that was fun.

I'm wondering if any of Dust's combat will be in high-sec/empire. That might solve a few problems.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They shouldn't make this part of EVE, going to be a complete mess. Took a 7 month break from EVE and the Angel ships are still so OP, not to mention supercaps break the game.

Oh wow. Didn't realize this was still a possibility. Will keep my eye on it. I really can't see CCP ignoring a PC version...

Orayn

I really hope we see some relatively large scale battles. It doesn't need to be Planetside or MAG, just nice big maps and 32v32.

Raide

nataku said:
I really hope they do a PC version. I'm not really interested in playing an MMO on a console.

It seems that the point of Dust514 is that its not a typical PC MMO. Its a Battlefield-ish FPS with RTS elements. PC gamers have had Eve for years, so if they want to play that they have the option. I personally like the idea of a PC based game and its players, interacting with console gamers. It could lead to some major griefing but it could be a good start. :D

You're right it would be stupid not to have a PC version, it could even cripple the community if the multilayer isn't compelling. Making it one big proof of concept instead.

What is a MMO? I know what the letters mean.

I want to know if there will be a single player story mode. If not then I don't need the game. BF3 and MW3 are the only multiplayer shooters I have time to play.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome news. The interaction between RTS and FPS in an MMO has been a secret desire of mine for a while.

Raide

ShootingB1anks said:
What is a MMO? I know what the letters mean.

I want to know if there will be a single player story mode. If not then I don't need the game. BF3 and MW3 are the only multiplayer shooters I have time to play.

Massively Multiplayer Online. Usually means it is all online. Might be a SP side of it but it all blends in around a MP focus.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Raide said:
It seems that the point of Dust514 is that its not a typical PC MMO. Its a Battlefield-ish FPS with RTS elements. PC gamers have had Eve for years, so if they want to play that they have the option. I personally like the idea of a PC based game and its players, interacting with console gamers. It could lead to some major griefing but it could be a good start. :D

Except Dust and EVE are nothing alike so...what are you talking about?

Raide

HK-47 said:
Except Dust and EVE are nothing alike so...what are you talking about?

Apart from the world they are based in, that is correct. It seems like the developers think that Dust is a shooter, so it is more suited to consoles. Whereas Eve is already on PC and they wanted to build a game that can expand their userbase and slot into the already existing Eve universe.

The PC has loads of typical MMOROG's and it even has loads of MMOFPS. Some developer at some point has to link an MMOFPS and the Console gaming crowd together, since the vast majority of higher profile shooters sell to Console gamers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BattleMonkey said:
CCP had a good thing going, if they tie this too much into Eve Online, it could ruin them if they screw up

Not really. This game could bomb and they would still be ok.

BattleMonkey said:
CCP had a good thing going, if they tie this too much into Eve Online, it could ruin them if they screw up

All this game is is a bitch dispenser for the EVE corps. Nothing more really. I fail to see how this will really break the game.

I'm actually kind of excited for this, as I've always wanted to get into Eve but never had the time/patience to do it. It's cool to see them making such a different game that still ties into the same universe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As long as I don't have to pay a monthly fee, I'm fine with some of my Eve-only friends funding my FPS.

Too bad BF3 is coming out and I'm going to that. Sorry, EVE.

Man

gofreak said:
Wonder if it's another victim of XBL policies. Although it's not as immediately obvious why.
It is supposed to be multiplatform such that the actions of Eve online players affect dust players and visa versa.

But ugh @ Unreal engine 3.

Green Scar said:
All this game is is a bitch dispenser for the EVE corps. Nothing more really. I fail to see how this will really break the game.

HK-47 said:
Not really. This game could bomb and they would still be ok.

No, what I mean is how tied into the EVE game this ends up being especially when it comes to the fragile economy, could potentially hurt the game. Lot of players are not going to want anything to do with Dust, but it will be tied together (we don't know the full details yet) and will have economical ramifications for the entire games populace.

As for the game bombing and CCP being ok, thats really hard to say now since we have seen how single bombs have crippled other studios and we don't know exactly how much effort they are putting into Dust when it comes to budget and resources.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CCP is one of the most stable companies in gaming right now. They have an extremely stable base in EVE, with no one challenging them. They could probably survive Dust and WoD bombing. EVE has like 250k-300k subs. Where are they gonna go?

BattleMonkey said:
No, what I mean is how tied into the EVE game this ends up being especially when it comes to the fragile economy, could potentially hurt the game. Lot of players are not going to want anything to do with Dust, but it will be tied together (we don't know the full details yet) and will have economical ramifications for the entire games populace.

Obviously it will change the way things work on EVE. But that happens a lot anyway. Things like the shifts in power between the warring corps already creates economical changes fairly often, soooo it's not like Dust is being introduced to shake up a stable game world, rather it's just another factor into how players can approach the game.

I'm interested to see if the game will include things like player-controlled areas in EVE being capable of being overtaken by rival EVE players via use of Dust players. It's exactly the kind of interaction that interests me about the game, dunno if it will be that complex and/or pivotal though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Darkkn said:
PS3 exclusive and featured on sony e3 presser? http://kotaku.com/5808577/will-eve-onlines-console-shooter-be-ps3+exclusive

Excited about this game. Really ambitious game and if anyone is crazy enough to pull it of it's CCP.
That would explain the incredibly long development time. They have only demo'd the 360 version on stage, so I guess that version was the most advanced and if the game suddenly went PS3 exclusive, they would have to shift their focus.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
It would make (some) sense for this game to be PS3 exclusive, since CCCP will most likely need a lot of freedom when it comes to linking the world of this game with Eve Online, and that's something that could be made quite difficult by Microsoft's tight control over Xbox Live.
Are we certain it's running on UE3? It sure doesn't look like it.

Sethos

Banned
Doesn't look like there's much inspiration from the various factions in EVE, everything I've seen so far only resembles Caldari design-ish. I do hope they take that into account big-time, not just create the different factions but really do carry on their style.

I honestly expected I could look at those screenshots, without knowing it's tied into the EVE universe and go "Hey, that looks familiar!" right now they don't share any traits.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It'll be a miracle if we see this on store shelves. It'll be another miracle if the company doesn't go up in smoke after it bombs horribly.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Sethos said:
Doesn't look like there's much inspiration from the various factions in EVE, everything I've seen so far only resembles Caldari design-ish. I do hope they take that into account big-time, not just create the different factions but really do carry on their style.

I honestly expected I could look at those screenshots, without knowing it's tied into the EVE universe and go "Hey, that looks familiar!" right now they don't share any traits.
It makes me wonder if we pick a race/faction or if the player characters are strictly mercenary. After reading The Empyrean Age I'm interested in what Gallente, Minmatar and Amarr ground war would look like.

Acosta

Kintaro said:
It'll be a miracle if we see this on store shelves. It'll be another miracle if the company doesn't go up in smoke after it bombs horribly.

Again, as far as Eve userbase keeps stable, CCP is not going anywhere.

Darkkn

It's UE3 but uses Enlighten middleware for lighting solution(as does BF3). Hopefully they use it to a good effect, can't stand the UE3 look.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kintaro said:

Hello, makers of EVE here. Tons of cash from extremely stable MMO.

Blimblim said:
It would make (some) sense for this game to be PS3 exclusive, since CCCP will most likely need a lot of freedom when it comes to linking the world of this game with Eve Online, and that's something that could be made quite difficult by Microsoft's tight control over Xbox Live.

Exactly what I was thinking. However it won't be just PS3 exclusive for sure. PS3 and PC at least.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Darkkn said:
It's UE3 but uses Enlighten middleware for lighting solution(as does BF3). Hopefully they use it to a good effect, can't stand the UE3 look.

I don't think that FB2 uses any middleware at all except Havok may be. Source?

°°ToMmY°° said:
What if soe striked a deal with ccp for international publishing?

That would be good of course, but the game doesn't seem big enough to get a big enough feature at Sony's conference. Last year they had Dead Space, MoH and Portal 2 as non-Sony owned reveals/demos.

Socom and M.A.G fit the mould because they are Sony owned franchises coming from a Sony studio.

This feels a bit out of place. Especially when they are sitting on a lot of developers who are due a PS3 game reveal, and Vita reveals.

For my tastes, I hope it isn't one of the rumoured 4 games getting a reveal there.

Top Bottom