• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Alpende

Does anyone on PS4 have the issue when using your controlstick or arrow buttons to select stuff in your inventory it sometimes goes berserk and just does what ever the fuck it wants? Skips over stuff, goes to the bottom of the page without me touching the sticks and so on. Annoys the shit out of me.

Other than that, I'm liking it.

What a fun little game, just beat it this weekend on PS4.
Is this what they consider a "lite" rpg? Because whatever this is, it had just the right amount of content to keep me interested without overloading my brain.

Alpende

Platinum'd this just now. Overall a pretty cool game, the story was entertaining but the combat got a little repetitive after a while but that didn't bother me too much, game length was great.

I wouldn't have played this without PS+ so there's that.

Manu

Just beat this a few hours ago.

I loved it. It was a much, much better game than I expected.

Depth without being too overwhelming, great combat, the perfect lenght too.

Definitely looking forward to Noogy's future projects.

olimpia84

Just beat this (on PS4) and thought it was a great game. The combat does get repetitive but still remains fun when you combine your typical attacks with Fidget's magic. I'm only one trophy away from the platinum (gotta get all 12 friends free) so I'll definitely go back and see if I can find more keys.

I feel a bit frustrated, even if I know that I shouldn't.
I'm playing Dust on PS4, and I am just at the start. I performed a 1000+ combo against the first two colossi, but the game refused to give me the achievement/trophy.
I know "stahp caring about trophies duuuude", but that's not the point.
I feel frustrated about that even if I know it's pointless and my gamescore is very low and I have very few platinums. Im not a completist gamer, but damn, I'm still angry about that.
A thing like that really put me down. Probably I won't get the platinum anyway, but the fact that I can't is awful.
Normally I don't care about trophies so much, but I think is some sort of complex. I can't be rewarded with that trophy? Now I totally want it.
It's stupid, but it's ruining teh game for me and I can't enjoy it like before.

What can I do? Is there a "reset" for trophies? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I don't know, it gave me the 200+ combo trophy in the same zone, against the same enemy.

ArjanN

I'm playing Dust on PS4, and I am just at the start. I performed a 1000+ combo against the first two colossi, but the game refused to give me the achievement/trophy.
I feel frustrated about that even if I know it's pointless and my gamescore is very low and I have very few platinums. Im not a completist gamer, but damn, I'm still angry about that.
A thing like that really put me down. Probably I won't get the platinum anyway, but the fact that I can't is awful.
Normally I don't care about trophies so much, but I think is some sort of complex. I can't be rewarded with that trophy? Now I totally want it.

What can I do? Is there a "reset" for trophies? Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I don't know, it gave me the 200+ combo trophy in the same zone, against the same enemy.

I think getting hit invalidates your combo, even if you're over 1000 hits, so once you're over 1000 just stop and back off.

The 100% for this is pretty doable.

Wonko_C

I don't remember it well, but just in case make sure you have the 1000 hit combo quest active. An easier and faster spot to get the combo is on the graveyard level with the dozens of zombies, just spam fidget's lightning and Dust's aerial spinning thing and you'll rack up those hits in seconds. Then just back off after 1000 hits like ArjanN said.

I've got it twice (once on 360 and once on Steam) and that's how I did it.

Done it, yay!
I just restarted the game and in 20 minutes I regained all the progress. It gave me the trophy at the first try, so maybe it was just a bug (?) probably, because I tried many times with the old save.

Thank you guys for suggestions anyway :D
It was a matter of principle.
Thank you for your time guys.

Chinbo37

Just beat it and got all achievements (Steam version).

I really enjoyed this game. solid action platformer with RPG elements. I liked the story.

Some small issues. The voice acting was mixed badly. Some characters were super loud and some were too quiet. Besides that was a great great game.

What the fuck is wrong with the menu in this game? The cursor flies all over the place when I try to move it. Most of the time it goes everywhere and then comes back to where it was. Google gave me a thread discussing this... three years ago for the 360 (I'm playing on PS4). So this is a bug that was never fixed? It's very egregious. It is souring my experience and I almost want to stop playing the game. It's a shame because I really like it.

edit: I made a video showing the glitch in action. Has this happened to anyone else ?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Just beat this. Really good game, had a lot of fun.

Hated the ending though and the story was just bad, but the game controls well and the progression is fun. Voice acting was bad and the art of the characters too (in story movies and characters portraits while talking), but the game looks gorgeous in gameplay. Hate Fidget.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes Metroidvanias, although there are not many secrets, since the map will tell you if there are secrets or not, and it's divided by stages, not all interconnected.

It's similar to Muramasa IMO, and on the easy side; but there are a good 15 hours of fun here, and different difficulty settings; I played on normal. At base price $15, definitely worth it; but it's often discounted.

Timeless

Dean Dodrill posted this on Twitter recently. Super cute picture of Fidget.

https://twitter.com/NoogyTweet/status/632733489872244736

Just beat this. Really good game, had a lot of fun.

Hated the ending though and the story was just bad
I liked almost everything about the game, but the final major moments of the ending (going from memory here)
when Dust is alive again or whatever, through the literal dust
, I was fine with, but could've gone either way on. Not my favorite part but I didn't hate it either.

If you sort of see where the story is going,
maybe you won't like it as much
, but
I was fine with how the emotions and characters developed even if the story has been done before

Voice acting was bad
On one hand, you paid for a game and deserve to get a quality experience. On the other, I think Dust is one of a few masterpieces of independent development: professional-quality acting requires professional levels of funding. Dust didn't have that luxury before its release.

I'm sort of oblivious to performances people call "bad", so I'm not one to be the authority™ on whether the voice acting is good in this game or not.

the art of the characters too (in story movies and characters portraits while talking)
My art-inclined friend refuses to get into the game for this reason. I'm glad you enjoyed Dust despite not liking everything about it.
the game looks gorgeous in gameplay.
Agreed 100%. 60fps is awesome.
although there are not many secrets, since the map will tell you if there are secrets or not
I thought one type of secret didn't show up on the map?
The 12 characters from other indie games? Or am I making that up?
I beat the game back in late 2012. It's been a while.

Tizoc

I recently beat the game and quite enjoyed it.
While the game's combat was basic and for the most part, I felt it was easy if I'm against normal mobs, I would love to see them try to expand on it in a future game.
I've heard that the devs want to make a new game in the Elysian setting but may be a different genre. Any word on that?

Timeless

I recently beat the game and quite enjoyed it.
While the game's combat was basic and for the most part, I felt it was easy if I'm against normal mobs, I would love to see them try to expand on it in a future game.
I've heard that the devs want to make a new game in the Elysian setting but may be a different genre. Any word on that?
The developer (and doer of almost everything in the game) has a Twitter page here. https://twitter.com/noogytweet

From what I can tell, he's working on some kind of game / engine, but has not announced the subject of the game. This game has history as an independent film began in the early 2000s (or late 90s) by the developer. I don't know if that's officially abandoned because I thought he wanted to return to it.

I also think he said something like he'd like to do more with the world of Dust, but I don't think he committed to it being his next project. Judging by how silent the dev has been on his game, I'm predicting
hoping
a short time between announcement and launch. Dust came out in late 2012. It took about 5 years to create, but he was a first time developer and went through a lot of growing pains and feature creep as a result.

Top Bottom