• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch ex-player Van Basten suspended from FIFA 20 after "sieg heil" comment on live TV

spons

Gold Member
bsh0fwk.jpg

He almost immediately apologized for his behavior in the same show, but in today's society that means jack shit of course.

Mista

Banned
From my understanding it meant to be the Nazi salute. On this day and age, this is inexcusable, even as a joke. That was a dumb move.
From uncle google:
"Sieg Heil is a German phrase, which literally means "For ensured victory", or "For The Win"." As far as I know, Sieg Heil means "Say hail".

Even if it means “for the win” it still indicates a nazi shit in there unfortunately

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
dutch people seem to have a very strange kind of humor.
a friend of mine told me about a "comedian" that made fun of people with cancer, muslims, gay people and down syndrome. His name was hanz teeuw or something
then again they have national blackface day in 2019.

Not sure if this country is taken serious even in europe ;P

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Is there some actual context to any of this or are we just supposed to be outraged? What was the match? Who was he taking to etc? Is there a translation of the actual conversation?
A coach and interviewer were speaking German and Van Basten responds with Sieg Heil at the end of it when they switch back to the studio. There is no further context other than it being tasteless.

Kadayi

Banned
A coach and interviewer were speaking German and Van Basten responds with Sieg Heil at the end of it when they switch back to the studio. There is no further context other than it being tasteless.

Is there a translation of the conversation?

Psykodad

Banned
a friend of mine told me about a "comedian" that made fun of people with cancer, muslims, gay people and down syndrome. His name was hanz teeuw or something

Thing is, us Dutch people in general aren't so overly sensitive.
It all must probably seem weird, because especially in the US everybody gets offended by every little thing.

And about that blackface day, it's actually the origin for Santa, his elves and Xmas.
Saint Nicholas was a Turkish bishop who fled to Spain and freed child slaves by paying them money, thus making them independent.
It's just a small vocal minority within the black community who get triggered and they in turn triggered a small minority of neonazis. And now everything gets blown out of proportion by social media.

If people want to discuss racist things, better focus on Black Friday.

Spukc

It all must probably seem weird, because especially in the US everybody gets offended by every little thing.

And about that blackface day, it's actually the origin for Santa, his elves and Xmas.
Saint Nicholas was a Turkish bishop who fled to Spain and freed child slaves by paying them money, thus making them independent.
It's just a small vocal minority within the black community who get triggered and they in turn triggered a small minority of neonazis. And now everything gets blown out of proportion by social media.

That's exactly what my friend told me,
Dutch people are the opposite of sensitive. And do not give a shit at all. But it's hardly a surprise that it tends to rise some eyebrows.
Like saying sieg heil on live television.

spons

Gold Member

Yeah it's only the biggest trade partner of the largest economy in Europe.

And what's wrong with Blackface Day? The children seem to enjoy it.

Virex

Banned

You mean a Greek bishop from the Byzantine Empire

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It's a very dumb thing he said, but I wonder if his character would have been erased like that before social media. Now EA can look like the good guy.

Psykodad

Banned
That's exactly what my friend told me,
Dutch people are the opposite of sensitive. And do not give a shit at all. But it's hardly a surprise that it tends to rise some eyebrows.
Dunno, seems pretty normal to me.
Like saying sieg heil on live television.
That's not something that happens on the regular.
Iirc, if he would've actually meant it, it could be seen as a legal offense.

It's just Dutch dark humor that stems from the hate towards Germans after WWII.
It was just misplaced in this day and age.

SALVATION_NL

Neo Member
EA should shut up with their "statement" and stop kids from gambling their money away. This whole statement is misplaced.

The interviewer who is interviewing a German coach sucks at german language. He is also famous for being kind of a wacky guy who is made fun of frequently. So as a reaction to his friend and collegue, Marco said Sieg Heil. As a joke.

The whole thing was blown out of proportion and within 10 minutes of the incident he apologized. He also made a phonecall to the german coach whom he is familiar with and explained why he said it. That was 10 days a go. So once again: EA shut shut up.

It's just Dutch dark humor that stems from the hate towards Germans after WWII.
It's basically saying 'bye, you german nazi fucker'.
Every german I know would just laugh about it and then make jokes about the dutchs expense. Usually something about cheese, smoking weed, them travelling with slow trailers on the Autobahn, their silly accent, or that we occupied them during war.

People are just too sensitive these days.

Last edited:
Every german I know would just laugh about it and then make jokes about the dutchs expense. Usually something about cheese, smoking weed, them travelling with slow trailers on the Autobahn, their silly accent, or that we occupied them during war.

Thanks, first post that actually explains the situation and mentality behind it. It’s way overblown of course but that’s the world we’re living in at the moment.

If he'd said it in Germany, it would have been a punishable offense. And rightfully so, fuck him. :)

Psykodad

Banned
If he'd said it in Germany, it would have been a punishable offense. And rightfully so, fuck him. :)
Afaik it is a punishable offense in the Netherlands too, when used in a different context.
Same as performing the nazi salute or denying the holocaust.

Last edited:
Players accused of rape and other atrocities are still in the FIFA games. Saying "Sieg heil" and pretty much immediately apologizing for it and donating that week's salary to a WWII charity is pretty damn low on that list I'd imagine.

But honestly who cares. Fuck soccer, fuck FIFA, fuck EA. It all sucks ass anyway.

Nero_PR

Banned
Players accused of rape and other atrocities are still in the FIFA games. Saying "Sieg heil" and pretty much immediately apologizing for it and donating that week's salary to a WWII charity is pretty damn low on that list I'd imagine.

But honestly who cares. Fuck soccer, fuck FIFA, fuck EA. It all sucks ass anyway.
FIFA, FIA, and other federations supposed to represent all sorts of sports are full of corrupted Asstwats. They are here just to suck the economy dry and to get their pockets full of money.

Last edited:

Robhimself

Hans Teeuwen, as he's called is just as racist, rude etc as all those American comedians, but at least HE dares say it. People know he is a rough one when it comes to humor.. You either find it amusing in a comical context, or you dont. No need to bash an entire nation about it.

You are oblivious when it comes to Blackface day. It's not even called that. It's a children's day and every butthurt person has an opinion about this, without even scratching the surface about its tradition and history.

But hey, walking along the rest of the sheep is the way to go right?

Piss the fuck off. You don't know jack shit about Holland. You think you do, but boy, oh boy, are you wrong......

So please, let's keep the IQ leveled out here and shut up ok?

Spukc

Hans Teeuwen, as he's called is just as racist, rude etc as all those American comedians, but at least HE dares say it. People know he is a rough one when it comes to humor.. You either find it amusing in a comical context, or you dont. No need to bash an entire nation about it.

You are oblivious when it comes to Blackface day. It's not even called that. It's a children's day and every butthurt person has an opinion about this, without even scratching the surface about its tradition and history.

But hey, walking along the rest of the sheep is the way to go right?

Piss the fuck off. You don't know jack shit about Holland. You think you do, but boy, oh boy, are you wrong......

So please, let's keep the IQ leveled out here and shut up ok?
you seem to be a real dutch tough guy :pie_roffles: smoke and a pancake?

Last edited:

D-Dude

Nothing wrong with Hans Teeuwen... He still has balls in this era. And "blackface" or Sinterklaas is toned down a fuckton because of the whining. And guess what Mr. I Say something before thinking.. When the parade starts here when Sinterklaas is in our country (he comes from Spain or so they say) you see a loooooottttt of colored people (parents) who enjoy themselfs, and there kids and even singing the fucking annoying songs. Damn, I even see Muslims and gay people, and nobody gives a fuck about the "blackface".

Is it a dated celebration? Maybe, but these years past 90% of the blackface has been changed to make it look like sooth or even vibrant colors. So stop the stupid arguments about something you don't understand if you don't live here.

And making jokes about everybody and everything is what's comedy about...

OT
And The siegheil was just really stupid from him, I always learned that that frase means Ode To Hitler or something. Anyway, stupid from him.

Last edited:

Spukc

yeah so is making fun about the dutch
go walk a marathon in your wooden shoes
caveman :pie_roffles:

Don't make personal jokes that others may find offensive when hearing it out of context, implies FIFA.

Using bribery from Qatar and using slaves to build stadiums for the world cup isn't an issue though, is it FIFA?

Has as already been stated, EA actively encourage gambling and use psychological and addictive techniques to get kids hooked on gambling. For that, EA can go sit on a fence post, as they live in the moral high-ground equivalent of the Mariana trench.

Banned
sorry but I have no sympathy for him or any backlash he's facing.

how fucking stupid can you be? fucking hell...

I know that dutch humour is pretty fucked up and I love that usually, but what he did is just pain stupid.

ROMhack

It was dumb, stupid and a dumb-stupid thing to say on TV but it's EA. They're still on a PR defensive after their numerous shittiest company in the world awards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom