• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD Playback On Wii Released

yoopoo

Banned
As you all know, I’ve been working on libdi (or the DVD Access library) for a while now. We had some problems getting it out to release because of the difficulties we encountered while writing the second part of this topic. The DVDX installer instead will install a small, hidden, channel on your Wii that allows you to read DVDs on an unmodified system. It is not an installer for a patched IOS. You may however need one, depending on your system.

Usage of this package is fairly simple. Run the installer.dol found in the package, follow the onscreen instructions, and you’re done.

Once you’ve done that, you can enjoy the splendor of mplayer. That what started out as a simple proof of concept has rapidly turned into a full-featured media player, under the nourishing hands of dhewg. The main aim of the mplayer project was to get DVDVideo going, but it also supports reading video files off the SD card. (Experimental).

A patch for Wii64, the N64 emulator for the Wii, will also be available shortly. This patch will allow you to read games off a DVD.

Usage:
1) Install libdi http://static.hackmii.com/di.zip
2) Use mplayer to read DVDs http://static.hackmii.com/mplayer-r27458.zip

http://hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-dvdx-installer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojv62_YmlCE

Mplayer DVD channel also released http://www.sendspace.com/file/g4g2lt

I myself have no use for this but some of you folks might use this.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they released an early version of this weren't people saying it could screw up the disc drive or laser or something since the Wii reads DVDs differently than a normal DVD player?

yoopoo

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they released an early version of this weren't people saying it could screw up the disc drive or laser or something since the Wii reads DVDs differently than a normal DVD player?
There is no earlier version. This is the first version ever released.

Sweet! Next gen here I come!

64174001.gIW7Nt7s.headbang.gif

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm. I might be tempted to try this out this weekend. For the novelty of it, if nothing else.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
MorisUkunRasik said:
I never noticed the PS3 at all while playing dvds, I'll look into it

I haven't either, my PS3 is fairly quiet while playing DVDs.

Rhindle

Wait, people are running unsigned code on unmodded Wiis now?? When did this happen?

If these guys are running a full instance of Mplayer, that is huge. That means you'll be able to play back virtually every video format under the sun.

WalkMan

Banned
Rhindle said:
Wait, people are running unsigned code on unmodded Wiis now?? When did this happen?

If these guys are running a full instance of Mplayer, that is huge. That means you'll be able to play back virtually every video format under the sun.
With the twilight princess hack you can run unsigned code. But you still can't run backups, only read from the DVDs for emulators or other stuff.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
shuri said:
Pretty awesome! Next step - stream movies from the network!
Technically, you can already do this with TVersity. Of course, it requires going through the Internet Channel and transcoding movies to flash video. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link Man said:
How is this discussion allowed under GAF's TOS?

hurrrr

Seriously? Every. Single. Homebrew. Thread. What's linked in the OP is designed as a library to read files off DVDs for homebrew, and a library to read DVDs for media playing. It's not for piracy. No one in this topic intends to pirate.

Perhaps this code will eventually lead to more widespread wii piracy (although it is already quite widespread), but that's clearly not the intent of the discussion here.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
***I'm no longer a part of this. Just in case.***

Somnid

Isn't this illegal though? I'm guessing they never payed the DVD consortium which was the whole reason it wasn't there in the first place.

Xabora

Ysiadmihi said:
They use REVERSE Book.
Unlike RED BOOK for most stuff.

yoopoo

Banned
Dacvak said:
Has anyone figured out how to install libdi? I've got the HBC, but I'm not sure how to install that (despite the Readme it comes with)
Rename installer.dol to boot.dol, put it in apps/di

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
***I'm no longer a part of this. Just in case.***

Dot50Cal

Banned
So, just to be clear, I can't modify some code in an ISO I ripped, then play it back using this hack, right? RE4 Wii Debug mode will have to wait, I guess :(

Zoe

Somnid said:
Isn't this illegal though? I'm guessing they never payed the DVD consortium which was the whole reason it wasn't there in the first place.

The reason the Wii isn't certified for DVD-playback is because it has no kind of digital audio output.

yoopoo

Banned
Dacvak said:
Do I have to do anything else? Does this install "DVDX" or whatever? I'm a bit lost.
From HBC run libdi (apps/di), then run mplayer (apps/mplayer) and open DVD from the menu.

You don't need libdi anymore after running it once.

KHarvey16

Zoe said:
The reason the Wii isn't certified for DVD-playback is because it has no kind of digital audio output.

Eh? I think it has more to do with the fact Nintendo doesn't want to pay the DVD licensing fees. I would be shocked if every piece of equipment licensed to play DVDs has digital audio output.

Link Man

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
hurrrr

Seriously? Every. Single. Homebrew. Thread. What's linked in the OP is designed as a library to read files off DVDs for homebrew, and a library to read DVDs for media playing. It's not for piracy. No one in this topic intends to pirate.

Perhaps this code will eventually lead to more widespread wii piracy (although it is already quite widespread), but that's clearly not the intent of the discussion here.
The quote in the OP states that a future patch for this software will allow users to play pirated N64 games from a DVD, and the OP links to the software. This is a direct violation of the TOS.

And DrKirby seems pretty excited about this implication.

You might want to actually want read the thread before you make such a statement.

i was just thinking about this more, and man imagine if they make awesome use of motion controls

Link Man said:
The quote in the OP states that a future patch for this software will allow users to play pirated N64 games from a DVD, and the OP links to the software. This is a direct violation of the TOS.

You might want to actually want read the thread before you make such a statement.
1) emulation is not illegal, and emulators are not de-facto illegal

2) people can dump their own N64 roms with hardware they can build or buy on the internet

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Link Man said:

Don't say you weren't warned explicitly.

Link Man

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
i was just thinking about this more, and man imagine if they make awesome use of motion controls

1) emulation is not illegal, and emulators are not de-facto illegal

2) people can dump their own N64 roms with hardware they can build or buy on the internet
If the emulator in question runs the N64 BIOS, then it is a violation of copyright, and thus illegal.

Zoe

KHarvey16 said:
Eh? I think it has more to do with the fact Nintendo doesn't want to pay the DVD licensing fees. I would be shocked if every piece of equipment licensed to play DVDs has digital audio output.

I don't have any links anymore, but this was discussed quite frequently when the Wii came out.

At a minimum, every DVD player I've ever seen has optical out.

Link Man said:
If the emulator in question runs the N64 BIOS, then it is a violation of copyright, and thus illegal.
what N64 emulators require an N64 Bios?

here, have some more.

s291.jpg

Zoe said:
I don't have any links anymore, but this was discussed quite frequently when the Wii came out.

yeah, optical out is required for standalone DVD players.

KHarvey16

Zoe said:

You can buy DVD players with only stereo output. I don't know why you would, but you can.

Top Bottom