• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Gets 2019 Release

jdstorm

Banned
While I guess bringing those characters back would be twists, I'm just asking for them back because they added a lot to the movies. I just want Han and Giselle back on the team, chilling out with everyone else and cracking jokes and looking cool. I want to look forward to Han eating a bag of potato chips again.

Having them back seems like a huge improvement to the dynamic of the team to me. We already know they work well. Scott Eastwood in 8 sucked ass.

Yep. Bring back Han/Giselle/Elena replace Scott Eastwood with post Avengers Chris Hemsworth and along with Luda/Tyrese/Vin/Michelle and you have the family back together again.

Darknight

As many times as they have likeable family members worth bringing back.

Sure but my thing is how would they handle "death" with the franchise then? Would it turn into a joke? I would certainly stop tuning into them for sure. If cast is killed off, move on and bring new blood like Statham.

[Tunes into Fast 10]
*Dom Falls off a cliff trying to save Han (miraculously was kidnapped on Tokyo) from falling himself*
"Really? that was a lame 'death', wonder how he will return on Fast XX. Guess I will have to tune in while the directors keep us on our toes!!
[Tunes into Fast 12]
*Dom helps Tej but fails to do so on time, Tej dies on screen. Team attends funeral*
"Yawn, who cares. Tej when he returns, I hope he is level 9000*

etc etc etc

Edit: Personally with the unfortunate loss of Paul, the "family" is long gone now. While the crew they have is good, it will never be the same. Wanting Han and Gisele personally wouldnt really do much for me. Paul's character was the guy that you always needed to be in there and its painfully obvious that his presence is needed in the series.
Losing that character made me "move" on with the cast. Like you have to accept not everyone is gonna be always around. Besides making good money, will the studio be able to keep all the OG cast plus new members? I feel at one point it may not be possible which may inevitably lead to cast being trimmed off even if not "terminated". Maybe they would retire in universe. I guess its just how I see things now that it doesnt bother me about those 2 characters but I understand where you are coming from but honestly I think retconning deaths would be dumb. (I didnt realize Letty got it done so if their "deaths" and "reappearance" are decent then I guess it wouldnt be too much of a problem but how far would they go to do so? lol

cdyhybrid

Sure but my thing is how would they handle "death" with the franchise then? Would it turn into a joke? I would certainly stop tuning into them for sure. If cast is killed off, move on and bring new blood like Statham.

[Tunes into Fast 10]
*Dom Falls off a cliff trying to save Han (miraculously was kidnapped on Tokyo) from falling himself*
"Really? that was a lame 'death', wonder how he will return on Fast XX. Guess I will have to tune in while the directors keep us on our toes!!
[Tunes into Fast 12]
*Dom helps Tej but fails to do so on time, Tej dies on screen. Team attends funeral*

etc etc etc
This is only an issue if you take these films seriously as a dramatic narrative. They're balls-out action films with good chemistry among the ensemble cast. That's the bread and butter. Bringing people back if it helps one or both of those is good for the series.

jdstorm

Banned

[Tunes into Fast 10]
[Tunes into Fast 12]

etc etc etc

Only kill villans. It works pretty well for most other action film series.

[Tunes into Fast 10]
[Tunes into Fast 12]

etc etc etc

You now know what it's like being a comic book reader.

[Tunes into Fast 10]
[Tunes into Fast 12]

etc etc etc

Here's my beef with the Han and Gisele thing, their deaths didn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things when they should have. By the time F7 finished, you forgot Statham even killed Han. But I'll chock that up to Paul Walker's passing, so I get it. But in F8, Statham is a part of the crew and he brought back his lovable brother who kidnapped Mia and got Gisele killed. But no one mentions shit about Han or Gisele. Just a vague, "oh we've scrapped before so there's some tension, but we'll never address it." So their deaths might as well have been rendered meaningless already and you might as well bring em back.

LQX

Could of sworn I read years ago that Vin Diesel owned the Fast and Furious franchise and was damn near billionaire because of it. Still, seems sort of fucked up The Rock joined the franchise so late and is now the face of it, but hey, he is the biggest star out of any of them.

Looking forward to it. That baby scene was amazing.

Vin would probably get paid off of this spin off as a producer or something so why the fuck does he care? Hobbs and Shaw blow up huge and become a big draw for F9. I don't understand. He's mad because he isn't the draw? C'mon guy.

Was that official? Like one director never meant to have her come back and then another one changed their minds? I thought it was part of the plot. Guess they "pulled it off".

Blowing in a car and falling off a plane I think are harder to retcon.

Statham's brother fell onto the same runway and lived. Dom jumps out of speeding cars onto concrete on purpose all the time and doesn't even scratch his sleeveless arms. By this series' standards, Giselle should have just walked that shit off :p

Han blew up basically the same way Letty did, too. You can't get much deader than actually being in a car as it explodes, but if she got better then Han can, too.

Likable characters coming back from the dead in silly ways is fun. Bringing back Han neatly solves the problem of Statham being a good guy now despite killing Han, and we get to have Han back. It's win/win. These movies are about cars and punching and shouting; they're at their worst when they try and get too serious.
Elena getting shot in cold blood
in 8 was way too grimdark for Fast & Furious.

Statham's brother fell onto the same runway and lived. Dom jumps out of speeding cars onto concrete on purpose all the time and doesn't even scratch his sleeveless arms. By this series' standards, Giselle should have just walked that shit off :p

Han blew up basically the same way Letty did, too. You can't get much deader than actually being in a car as it explodes, but if she got better then Han can, too.

Likable characters coming back from the dead in silly ways is fun. These movies are about cars and punching and shouting; they're at their worst when they try and get too serious.
Elena getting shot in cold blood
in 8 was way too grimdark for Fast & Furious.
Yeah, they did that character dirty in 8.

Familia tree needs to be refreshed.

They're all like 40, still chasing cheap thrills and hiding from the law, with the help of stunt doubles for everything from jumping off buildings to running twenty steps. They must be tired of doing it because I'm tired of watching them do it. Franchise shouldn't have jumped the shark with all the avengers-like action sequences because those type of films have a short shelf life.

Darknight

I think what bothers me more about the Gisele death scene is that she tries to help Han by giving her life for his BUT the dude she was shooting at like doesnt die from her shots? Like that was fucking lame? Han still had to beat the crap out of him from his rage.

Like If Im gonna jump to my death bad ass style to save someone special, I better make them bullets count, you know? So yea that is more of an issue than she not being around.

This seems like a foolish mistake to combat franchise fatigue, and it will only hurt FF9 and the inevitable FF10.

Why?

This substantially brings down the budget while still getting the 'brand' that is Fast and the Furious.

Not to mention if they actually get someone like Shane Black, it could actually have a different style to it.

Based on all the reports, I'm also not sure Vin and The Rock will ever be in another scene together, at least one without any blue screen, so...

Cuburt

I'm not even a fan of the series and thought Tyrese and Vin seemed bitter and jealous at first, but I do think the timing of this seems like a cynical, dick move.

Why?

This substantially brings down the budget while still getting the 'brand' that is Fast and the Furious.

Not to mention if they actually get someone like Shane Black, it could actually have a different style to it.

Based on all the reports, I'm also not sure Vin and The Rock will ever be in another scene together, at least one without any blue screen, so...

Well, for starters, I don't think it will be considerably cheaper, unless $150 million is cheap these days. Maybe that is cheap, though...

But my main concern is that you're just diluting the impact of those characters. Maybe you get your fill after watching them in the spinoff, and decide to avoid the mainline entries because Vin Diesel sucks. I just fail to see how this can possibly help FF9.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'd imagine that the OG crew doesn't like the spin-off idea because it breaks up their united front. Now we know they turned down spin-off opportunities. Right now, they stand together and get a nice check cause they're the center of a billion dollar franchise. If there's another F&F, Universal can always just go "Naw, we'll just do another Hobbs movie" if they got too aggressive negotiating for the main series.

A TV spin-off or some type of "lesser" property wouldn't hurt their standing. This could be a threat to it.

UrbanRats

I guess i can see this working somewhat, these two going at each other, was the only slightly interesting thing left in 8.
I'd argue they've said everything there was to say about Toretto, short of turning him into a straight up deity.

Tookay

I'd imagine that the OG crew doesn't like the spin-off idea because it breaks up their united front. Now we know they turned down spin-off opportunities. Right now, they stand together and get a nice check cause they're the center of a billion dollar franchise. If there's another F&F, Universal can always just go "Naw, we'll just do another Hobbs movie" if they got too aggressive negotiating for the main series.

A TV spin-off or some type of "lesser" property wouldn't hurt their standing. This could be a threat to it.

I don't believe for a second that Roman and Tej were offered spin-offs.

All of the Tyrese quotes just make it sound like he's pissed that a paycheck isn't coming for another year.

For what it's worth, this is the only interesting angle to take this franchise. F8 was just running off fumes when Statham and the Rock weren't on-screen (even though I still don't like them redeeming Statham's character).

I'm in. They were my favorite part of 8. I suspect that this will mean that the Rock and Statham won't be in the mainline title.
I'm also still in for fast 9, even if the Rock and Statham aren't in it.

daviyoung

Banned

The C-quality actors whose careers hung off a 16 year old film have been on borrowed time for over a decade now. Let them try to negotiate like sitcom actors, it'll be fun to see how much the public actually cares of this "family".

Fluloco

If the rumor of Shane Black directing this is true, this may be incredible. The chemestry between these two in Fast 8 was off the charts.

So if we're getting spinoffs now, can't we get the Luda/Tyrese spinoff? That way Tyrese can chill the fuck out, coz Luda got this.

big_z

With Diesel being a producer on the main series I could see Hobbs and Shaw getting written out. Have a shopping cart in a parking lot slowly bump into a car their in causing it to explode. Blame it on a NOS leak.... classy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The C-quality actors whose careers hung off a 16 year old film have been on borrowed time for over a decade now. Let them try to negotiate like sitcom actors, it'll be fun to see how much the public actually cares of this "family".
Eh I mean that just how it works... You usually stick together to get the best deal. Vin Diesel pretty much revived the IP and they stuck together as a team on and off camera. You think the top actors of TBBT or Game of Thrones would get 1m per episode if they didn't stick together for those negotiations.

Downplaying what they have achieved with the IP in the last coupe years seems weird to me. They deserve their payout... If whatever The Rock and Statham are cooking has negative impact on the success of the main series I would be pissed too.

Then again it's not like any of them will be starving anytime soon.

PR_rambo

Banned
They should merge this franchise with Transformers.
They really should, it's already corny and carny as all hell. Just go into some long spiel about how vehicles are part of the family and BOOM, the audience eats it up per usual

And give more time to my boy Tego Calderon

I dont get this logic. Tyrese debuted in 2F2F and they keep bringing him back.

So did Luda. They actually have chemistry and play well off each other.

Han was a tweener, not a fighter like Dom, not as skilled as Brian, not as funny as Roman, not a techie, and not as useful as Gal. Pretty easy to see why he got the axe in his own movie, much less as a part of the fam. It's also why he should stay dead.

Still haven't seen 8.

Fast 7 was a closure to me.

For some reason I tear a bit up with the final scene. Really weird for what these movies really are.

2hedDox.jpg

XfshPSlENAV4ZZLU_RwtKS81IVo=.gif

Top Bottom